• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Finally diving into BPRD, I read the first Plague of Frogs omnibus today and am about 100 pages into the second. Guy Davis' art is absolutely incredible.

Fuck yes! BPRD is so good man. I was going to warn you that literally, out of all the mignola verse stuff, the only rough patch for me is the stuff that comes just after Hollow Earth, by a few different writers. I remember a story or two I wasn't a big fan of, but you've blown right past there now, so nothing to worry about haha. I love the whole discovery and settling into of the Colorado office.

Proving she ain't nothin' to fuck with

Haha,oh shiiit. Sounds good!

Sadly only the first volume is on CMX. I'll get it from the library.

I actually think that is it, there is only the one volume. He talked alot about doing a second volume "The Marquis and the Midwife" but as mentioned, he's been doing the movie stuff etc and I don't think it materialised, unless I've been asleep at the wheel.

Detective Comics is the best. My favorite Rebirth book. Which is awesome because it was the one I was most hyped for.

This is a good sign, I've been a fan of Batwoman in all her iterations so far. I liked Talon as an idea much more than in execution back in the earlier days of the new 52 but Tynion has alot more under his belt now.

Haha I posted this response broken before, my bad >_<

The upcoming Sitterson/Milonogiannis GI Joe book sounds pretty rad. they're going in a more sci-fi action route a la the old cartoon rather than the more military-action approach of a lot of the other comics

I love Milonogianis, his stuff is incredible. His own independent cypunk stuff, Old City Blues is great too, and free! Click It was in print under Archaia a few years ago, not sure if that's still the case.

Extra link for his stuff in .cbr form.

So I don't know how people here feel about Linkara/Atop the Fourth Wall, but I enjoy some of his stuff. In particular when he reviews things he enjoys more than what he hates. Like when he did March of the Titans, and reviewed his favorite Titans run by Devin Grayson.

I really want to read that run. I don't think it's collected though. Damn you late 90's to mid 00's DC! You were so good!

Also started readin Secret Warriors Vol. 2. Pretty sure Nick Fury and Steve Rogers have the greatest chemistry ever

I love Milonogianis, his stuff is incredible. His own independent cypunk stuff, Old City Blues is great too, and free! Click It was in print under Archaia a few years ago, not sure if that's still the case.

Extra link for his stuff in .cbr form.
OCB is the shit. The print editions are cool but the first is a hardcover and the second is a TPB manga digest, which is unfortunate. Still, his stuff is great and people should give it a look
So I don't know how people here feel about Linkara/Atop the Fourth Wall, but I enjoy some of his stuff. In particular when he reviews things he enjoys more than what he hates. Like when he did March of the Titans, and reviewed his favorite Titans run by Devin Grayson.

I really want to read that run. I don't think it's collected though. Damn you late 90's to mid 00's DC! You were so good!
I used to, years ago. Nothing against him personally but I kinda stopped being into that style of reviews. Idk much about that Titans run but I did read JLA/Titans: The Technis Imperative because of him calling it his favorite comic. It's pretty fun.

If I have no intention of getting nightwing and detective comics (I'll prolly read the latter in trade one day tho) should I skip batman 7 and 8? Like are they gonna be fairly self contained with their parts of the monster men story or is it going to all be a very tied together story arc?

If I have no intention of getting nightwing and detective comics (I'll prolly read the latter in trade one day tho) should I skip batman 7 and 8? Like are they gonna be fairly self contained with their parts of the monster men story or is it going to all be a very tied together story arc?

Self contained enough that they will be collected in a separate hardcover, and they won't be printed in the regular series trades. So it should be pretty self contained. So yea if you aren't going to grab the other series, probably skip batman 7 and 8 but you can always get that hc down the line, but I think you'd be lost with just 2 of the issued out of the whole thing.

Sorry worded that in a bit of a round about way haha

OCB is the shit. The print editions are cool but the first is a hardcover and the second is a TPB manga digest, which is unfortunate. Still, his stuff is great and people should give it a look

I used to, years ago. Nothing against him personally but I kinda stopped being into that style of reviews. Idk much about that Titans run but I did read JLA/Titans: The Technis Imperative because of him calling it his favorite comic. It's pretty fun.
I like his positive ones. Like ROM and Titans. Some of his negatices are okay but some are grating
Monster Men will be its own thing, but it'll still probably have some ramifications. I'll be reading it even though I'm not pulling Batman.

I haven't read Trinity yet but just looking at the artwork... Man, Manapul is incredible, possibly my favorite artist working on a superhero book right now. His writing on Flash was weird but I don't even mind. I remember getting an issue of his early Image work for free, packed in with a comic magazine in the late 90s / early 00s, and I became a fan instantly. It's been great seeing his style evolve over the years.

I've been really busy but I managed to sneak in the reading of my weekly haul throughout. Just in time I suppose. Hopefully I have more time this week for the weeklies plus a bit of my backlog.

Old Man Logan, #11
[2/5]: Pacing of this issue was a bit slow and the book is becoming a bit too reliant on the past, but doesn't execute as succesfully as in the first couple of arcs. It seems as if the past is included because that's what the book is known for at this point rather then as an effective and meaningful way to tell the story.

Spider-Man, #07
[4/5]: Civil War II tried to ruin this issue but it still managed to be pretty good just on the back of its initial dialogue exchange between Miles and the other characters. Everyone being so pro-Tony feels weird after CW I but it's better then the alternative I suppose.

Civil War II: Gods of War, #4

[2/5]: A rushed ending to an arc that I thought was fairly interesting and charming. Seems like Abnett was tasked with just finishing the book because he delivered an extremely unsatisfying ending.

All-Star Batman, #2
[2/5]: The art and the action just don't mix and in general, the art really doesn't work with the sort of story this comic is trying to tell. The issue didn't really progress much of the plot and I'm far less interested in the premise now then I was back with issue #1. Witty Bats is also not my thing.

Detective Comics, #940

[3/5]: Emotionally, this issue was largely a wash for me. And I like where the plot seems to be moving but so much of this book has felt like a setup for something greater rather then stuff actually happening that it's become quite problematic 5-6 issues in.
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, #4 [3/5]: The Stewart plot hasn't moved at all, but the books got some great art and it seems to be setting up for a big conflict which I'm looking forward too.

Wonder Woman, #6
[5/5]: The origin story just has a different feel then most other books I'm reading including the alternate story the book has every other week. It's charming, has good pacing and great art to boot. I would honestly love a complete reboot on WW in this sort of style instead of just an origin story.

G-Fex

Taking advantage of the Aquaman sale. Loving 90's Aquaman series so far. He's really a mark for his own spear hand (Which I admit is sweet)

Is it just me or is Gears 4 a big Non-Event?

Hard to say really haha. None of my friends play video games so every game is a non event irl. Every big site is reporting the launch trailer, ign doing their list articles, so it seems as *big a deal* as any other AAA game is. Whether it really is hype or not, i don't know. It's the twitterers talking about it??

Is it just me or is Gears 4 a big Non-Event?

It's definitely being overshadowed by the likes of FFXV and Battlefield 1, but it's the game I'm tempted to pick up an Xbox One for.

Gears has always been one of my favourite franchises
and it can't be worse than Judgement.
Yes, I spelt it right.

The multiplayer in 1 and 3 are two of my favourite multiplayer experiences ever.

TheFlow

Banned
FF got delayed though. it is like one of the last games to be released this fall.

Gears is the first to be released next month. Good timing. since it won't have any real competition till the end of the month.

FF got delayed though. it is like one of the last games to be released this fall.

Gears is the first to be released next month. Good timing. since it won't have any real competition till the end of the month.

True, I just meant there seems to be a lot more hype around other games from now until the end of the year. It's probably the best time for it to be released.

Gears has always been one of my favourite franchises
and it can't be worse than Judgement.
Yes, I spelt it right.

Haha right, Judgment really is not great, especially the control scheme, but I won't lie. I replayed it recently and I do quite like the idea of judgment, something like it's declassified tasks as a bonus for campaign after completion would be cool in future gears game. I like that aspect of it, even if there isn't much else there. And yea, I always loved Gears for multi, Ultimate's competitive is really good fun, and the competition is fucking stiff. Horde ftw too. I'm just not sure how I feel about robot enemies and stuff, feels a bit weird for gears but if they're going to keep making them, they do need to keep it fresh.

Bahaha, yep. I just need some time to sit down and read it. I like to read trades all in one go as well, so that's what has been holding me back.

I'm pretty much the same man, it's entirely the reason I read by trade in fact. I like a good 5-6 issues back to back or it's over way too quick for me. I'm half kidding btw, I really want to know what you think but at the same time, take your time and enjoy, you won't get that first time through again.

Haha right, Judgment really is not great, especially the control scheme, but I won't lie. I replayed it recently and I do quite like the idea of judgment, something like it's declassified tasks as a bonus for campaign after completion would be cool in future gears game. I like that aspect of it, even if there isn't much else there. And yea, I always loved Gears for multi, Ultimate's competitive is really good fun, and the competition is fucking stiff. Horde ftw too. I'm just not sure how I feel about robot enemies and stuff, feels a bit weird for gears but if they're going to keep making them, they do need to keep it fresh.

Yeah, I was watching a bit of the campaign last night and it is a bit jarring seeing them fighting robots instead of Locust. At least there's a bit of a mix with the Swarm as well.

ElNarez

Banned
vbQUaUH.jpg

Top Bottom