• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Owzers

I walked into a spider-web and then noticed a semi-big spider hanging out dangling from the web. Is this even America anymore or is the 40% Trump support turning my country into a country for SPIDERS.

Also, Amazon completely squished my splatoon amiibo to fit it in the box with other things, not that it got damage during shipping, but they bent it just to fit it in the box.

What definitely doesn't help either is that as far as "Big Events" goes, this just really comes off as Cynical Cash Grab. Like, I'm interested in the titles that are spinning out of the event like Occupy Avengers, Champions, and the new She Hulk book. But the event itself it feels like even the creators don't even really give a shit about it.

I actually kind of disagree with this? That last page. He thinks he is doing something really deep and poignant and RELEVANT here (but it feels cheap and easy and boring). No, Marvel thinks they have something enduring here, or they would have just hired a fill-in artist.

But of course with this post you've reminded me that I will keep buying it no matter what because even when events are terrible the books that spin out of them often use them as context in interesting ways. Like a bitch.

Fell off a cliff imho

The delays are contributing heavily to my sharp drop in interest. I feel like Marvel has lost the plot when it comes to events in allowing such major delays on line-altering event books. You're going to charge me $5 an issue and everything that happens will be spoiled by the time the last issue comes out? Okay well the story had better be really damn good, Secret Wars was a good book through and through and even that one lost much of its spark thanks to delays. Oh and you're adding an issue? Okay there better not be any filler or pointless issues.

#5: bad story, pointless issue
Thinking about delays, I'm beginning to think Marvel editorial is more commonly responsible for them and for extending out the events. Happened with Reborn, Age of Ultron, and Secret Wars.

hmm. I love Gotham Academy, but I did read that second volume and wonder why
Strange
is hanging out as
councillor
as if this was the most normal thing in the world and no one should suspect
him
of being up to anything. And then of course that's what happens. It didn't bother me much, I just rolled with "this is one of the times said character isn't being regarded as evil" but just a tiny bit of context might have helped. Unless I missed something there. Otherwise, I lvoe how they keep drawing form some really obscure corners of the batman Mythos. The
quill of inishtree
being an actual reference and not a made up thing is so cool.

Messi

I didn't read the words but I looked at the art in Trinity and instantly bought it. Manapul is my kryptonite. His art is just stunning. Are the words terrible?

==

I hope we get more Pomeline in Gotham Academy. I love her.

Thinking about delays, I'm beginning to think Marvel editorial is more commonly responsible for them and for extending out the events. Happened with Reborn, Age of Ultron, and Secret Wars.

Secret Wars was definitely not editorial. Ribic drew the final issue in three weeks because the script was so delayed.

Roman

What definitely doesn't help either is that as far as "Big Events" goes, this just really comes off as Cynical Cash Grab. Like, I'm interested in the titles that are spinning out of the event like Occupy Avengers, Champions, and the new She Hulk book. But the event itself it feels like even the creators don't even really give a shit about it.

I actually kind of disagree with this? That last page. He thinks he is doing something really deep and poignant and RELEVANT here (but it feels cheap and easy and boring). No, Marvel thinks they have something enduring here, or they would have just hired a fill-in artist.

But of course with this post you've reminded me that I will keep buying it no matter what because even when events are terrible the books that spin out of them often use them as context in interesting ways. Like a bitch.

It's probably a combination of both. They figured it's time for a big event in order to recapture lost mindshare, get new readers on board for characters like Carol, the Inhumans and the GotG, solidify Iron Man as one of the center characters to follow, and of course, rake in money.

But I don't think they deliberately set out to disappoint - they just do what they think works. This issue reads like a bingo box of (Bendis) story beats. Ultimately they played it safe, and the final product suffers more from it than they probably expected.

Also can we talk about how unbelievably awful and tone deaf the Mighty Captain Marvel #0 solicit is?

Behold the mightiest, fightiest super hero there is! Captain Marvel returns to her helm as Alpha Flight commander with the world cheering her on. She’s the biggest hero in the world – but has Captain Marvel become someone Carol Danvers no longer recognizes? New York Times bestselling author Margaret Stohl (Beautiful Creatures, Black Widow: Forever Red) makes her comics series debut in a blockbuster Marvel story decades in the making.

I feel like MCU-only fans will love the character next year, because Feige knows what he's doing. But to comics reading fans she's going to be an unsalvageable heel.

This plus the tryhard "spunky girly asskicking" Hawkeye solicit and the tired IvX solicit that doesn't even attempt to hide what it obviously is, paints a really subpar next 4-6 months at Marvel for me.

As I said though, they still do have enjoyable books, I love Marvel generally and historically, but the overarching plot and Inhumans stuff is just bad.

They delayed the final Vader issue from when it was supposed to be out by more than a month. When people asked Gillen why he said it was all Marvel and that writing, art, cover etc had been done for ages.

Secret Wars was definitely not editorial. Ribic drew the final issue in three weeks because the script was so delayed.
There was an interview that Ribic did a little after SW wrapped up that gives the impression the delays were Marvel's fault. He mentions a 4 week period where he got no pages of script from Marvel even though he knew Hickman had already turned in the script.

Also if we're trusting of Hickman's own word he turned in his last Marvel script before SW even started

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Today is an embarrassment of riches, comic book wise.

New Vision, New Hellcat, New Superman (not New Super-Man).

All great.

I'm very confident that King is going to stick the landing in Vision, and I can't wait to see it.

Messi

It's probably a combination of both. They figured it's time for a big event in order to recapture lost mindshare, get new readers on board for characters like Carol, the Inhumans and the GotG, solidify Iron Man as one of the center characters to follow, and of course, rake in money.

But I don't think they deliberately set out to disappoint - they just do what they think works. This issue reads like a bingo box of (Bendis) story beats. Ultimately they played it safe, and the final product suffers more from it than they probably expected.

Also can we talk about how unbelievably awful and tone deaf the Mighty Captain Marvel #0 solicit is?

I feel like MCU-only fans will love the character next year, because Feige knows what he's doing. But to comics reading fans she's going to be an unsalvageable heel.

This plus the tryhard "spunky girly asskicking" Hawkeye solicit and the tired IvX solicit that doesn't even attempt to hide what it obviously is, paints a really subpar next 4-6 months at Marvel for me.

As I said though, they still do have enjoyable books, I love Marvel generally and historically, but the overarching plot and Inhumans stuff is just bad.

You could just give Kelly Thompson a shot. She is good and she wont fuck this book up.

You could just give Kelly Thompson a shot. She is good and she wont fuck this book up.

The only reservation i have about that book is Romero actually, I'm not sure I've decided what I think of the art yet.

Also, god damn, Sony are going whole hog and they're actually going through with a dark tower tv series as well as the movie, all interconnected....this will the best or the worst thing ever. Definitely one or the other.

Messi

The only reservation i have about that book is Romero actually, I'm not sure I've decided what I think of the art yet.

Also, god damn, Sony are going whole hog and they're actually going through with a dark tower tv series as well as the movie, all interconnected....this will the best or the worst thing ever. Definitely one or the other.

Kelly has said she is aware of AmeriKate and likes their friendship.

Full faith in her.

tumblr_odiexqX5JA1u1tz4ao1_1280.jpg

Damn.

TheFlow

Banned
I am usually pretty damn committed to Marvel events. Maybe I threatened to drop Axis? I don't remember but I doubt it. The whole point of reading the event book, for me, is to stay current on the big happenings in the greater shared universe. It's pretty rare that I ever want to re-read any of them, but I am a huge sucker for all the twists and deaths and other bullshit.

I read my books in order of spoiler probability, then alphabetical. Though I'm jumping around today as I've barely read anything in weeks and I'm neck deep in new issues

This is it.

The last page. I laughed. Bitterly.
Ah I gotcha

There was an interview that Ribic did a little after SW wrapped up that gives the impression the delays were Marvel's fault. He mentions a 4 week period where he got no pages of script from Marvel even though he knew Hickman had already turned in the script.

Also if we're trusting of Hickman's own word he turned in his last Marvel script before SW even started

Holy shit. I didn't know that.

The Vision 11

This wasn't my favorite issue but I still liked it. It kind of reminded me of the Joke issue but it didn't come off as well.
Im also confused by Virgina eating the flower. Did we already see her eat one before?

Regardless I still liked it and don't want this run to end.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Also, who saw that coming in Thor? Cuz... what?

The Vision 11

This wasn't my favorite issue but I still liked it. It kind of reminded me of the Joke issue but it didn't come off as well.
Im also a little confused by Virgina eating the flower after killing the dog. Did she already eat a petal before?

Regardless I still liked it and don't want this run to end.

Your spoiler's broken, and no.
The dog ate it first, and then she ate it second. Just like the cat and then Agatha.

Also, who saw that coming in Thor? Cuz... what?

Your spoiler's broken, and no.
The dog ate it first, and then she ate it second. Just like the cat and then Agatha.

Tried to fix then deleted then fixed. Was panicking.

Ok, now I remember. I was confused on where "it" was coming from. Makes sense now.

Owzers

New shelf configuration, this is important, it's not about buying figures and statues and regrettable amiibos, but finding the best place for them ( not the trash). I ended up boxing up my Wonder Woman Chiang statue after repainting it all the time. "Out of sight, out of my mind" as they say.

Sandfox

Vision
Batman
All Star Batman
Pretty Deadly
Nowhere Men
Plutona
Moon Knight
Manhattan Projects (if it ever returns)
Injection
Future Quest
They are not like us
Autumnlands

I'm probably forgetting loads

She's working on the Strange team book and Hawkeye as well

New shelf configuration, this is important, it's not about buying figures and statues and regrettable amiibos, but finding the best place for them ( not the trash). I ended up boxing up my Wonder Woman Chiang statue after repainting it all the time. "Out of sight, out of my mind" as they say.

I see some hellboy books and a wiiu. I like you joshbot.

Owzers

I see some hellboy books and a wiiu. I like you joshbot.

I have the library editions on my OHC shelf, that's my double 3x3 cubicals for regular trades that gets my figures/statues. I haven't made much progress in reading them though because they are comic books. Also, it's odd to read my xbox live name since i skipped out on Xbox One and haven't subbed to Xbox Live since....Gears of War 2? It's been awhile...

I have the library editions on my OHC shelf, that's my double 3x3 cubicals for regular trades that gets my figures/statues. I haven't made much progress in reading them though because they are comic books. Also, it's odd to read my xbox live name since i skipped out on Xbox One and haven't subbed to Xbox Live since....Gears of War 2? It's been awhile...

Haha I just pulled it from your profile to be a creep. A creepymonkey. Really nice layout though with the statues and all. Hellboy isn't comics btw it's okay to read them

PsychBat!

Banned

I saw this interview too. Ribic was not happy how no one gave him a script when Hickman already finished it and turned it in.

Are Marvel really that dumb that they're intentionally delaying events until after the series that deal with the fallout of said events begin?

I don't want to think that they're that stupid.

Owzers

Having read the first Tokyo Ghost trade i'm not even sure if i want to read the rest of it so buying the OHC is definitely not on my buying agenda.

I decided to watch The Good Place, both episodes, and it was quite enjoyable with some good humor and a better scenario than i expected. I don't really watch that many regular tv shows because i spend my entertainment time doing more respectable things like watching Wrestling and playing Overwatch, but i'll continue with this one.

Top Bottom