• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

eY3qOsN.png

No Cyclops, no sale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was gonna say the O in Ressurxtion is the Black Bolt sign but then noticed it says Inhumans right in the title >_>

This Inhuman / X-Men shit wont die will it

Sandfox

I was gonna say the O in Ressurxtion is the Black Bolt sign but then noticed it says Inhumans right in the title >_>

This Inhuman / X-Men shit wont die will it

DoX is the prologue, IvX is the main event, and I'm guessing this is the epilogue that will set up the new status quo of both groups.

Carnage #3-5 - book continues to be better than it had any right to be as the first story concludes with Carnage getting a bit of Cthulhu in him and escaping. As usual, they actually made Carnage scary and they nailed the claustrophobic "Alien" vibe until shit got crazy with the cult. Fun book, and the only notch against it is Toxin's awful new look. Cant wait to see whats up next, especially when the cover to issue #6 is this:

I really enjoyed the first arc. I found that it kinda fell apart afterwards as it lost a lot of what made the first arc special and ended up dropping it.

--

How to fix X-Men?

Maybe have them win, make some progress? The relationship between humans and mutants feels like it's been the same for god knows how long. I could pick up a trade from the early 2000s and it's probably the same shit. It's all catastrophe after catastrophe and that shit's gotten old and boring. Having Genosha and House of M is plenty.

But I also probably don't know. Stopped reading X-Men a few years back because fuck Avengers vs. X-Men.

frye

More than any other comics franchise at the moment, I think present day X-Men would benefit from a back to basics approach. Maybe that's just me transitioning into an old ass dude who can't accept change, but the X-Men have been "weird" in one way or another since House of M and it's about time we get another New X-Men Manifesto from someone who understands why people liked these stupid comics in the first place and also has a coherent idea about what can make these comics relevant and exciting today.

Deadly Class, Vol. 2: Kids of the Black Hole

Continues to be pretty great. I really enjoy how dense this series feels and the rhythm of it all. A nicely paced, almost relaxing kind of build up and bam, shit hits the fan. The way the volume ended too..

Time to buy vol. 3.

PsychBat!

Banned
But how? Its based on a mobile game and, I mean, it doesnt even make a grand story out of it, its basically random heroes fighting each other but it's so good lol.
The mobile game adopted the title from the Contest of Champions storylines. I never read the first event and the second event sucked.

Acrylic7

LMQCJGX26KQFK

40% on almost anything at Barnes and nobles including boardgames. But I used it to buy Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind Box set for $30 each.

I'm pretty sure you can use it on a bunch of omnibus's and such.
You can use this coupon more than once by doing separate orders.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Deadly Class, Vol. 2: Kids of the Black Hole

Continues to be pretty great. I really enjoy how dense this series feels and the rhythm of it all. A nicely paced, almost relaxing kind of build up and bam, shit hits the fan. The way the volume ended too..

Time to buy vol. 3.
Buy vol 4 along with it, you'll thank me when you're done with the third trade.

Man, thinking about Infinity again. It was so good:

"Now we win." Badass.

It really really is, I need to get a new copy of the HC. It's the thor moments ever time,

"And what if I an not just a man?"

goosebumps. Thor has been treated so well in recent years.

At Comic Con:

"It's just a matter of waiting for the right place"

*MONSTERS UNLEASHED*

Do these include the whole run, or is it still ongoing? These contain 1-20 together.

I believe the *full* run is 1-25, and then there's another 5 issues they did which is supposed to be the new format, effectively series of mini series, now the main narrative is over.

Haha the end of the third trade!

Guys, get excited, there's gonna be an inhuman v resurrx-men calender for 2017. That implies we'll get IvX yearly now.

They've given us a general idea about the first two, though I'm expecting another interview this month to go along with December solicitations.
I assume it'll be a Messiah Complex > Messiah War > Second Coming > Avengers Vs. X-Men scenario.
More than any other comics franchise at the moment, I think present day X-Men would benefit from a back to basics approach. Maybe that's just me transitioning into an old ass dude who can't accept change, but the X-Men have been "weird" in one way or another since House of M and it's about time we get another New X-Men Manifesto from someone who understands why people liked these stupid comics in the first place and also has a coherent idea about what can make these comics relevant and exciting today.

New X-Men worked because Morrison was a huge Claremont fanboy. His run was most certainly his own thing, but it was also one big homage to Claremont. Whedon's Astonishing worked because it built off of Morrison's, while also harkening back to Claremont and yet still being its own thing.

Like I said, I think Bendis was trying to do the same with his Uncanny run, but it certainly didn't work that way.

Sandfox

I assume it'll be a Messiah Complex > Messiah War > Second Coming > Avengers Vs. X-Men scenario.

New X-Men worked because Morrison was a huge Claremont fanboy. His run was most certainly his own thing, but it was also one big homage to Claremont. Whedon's Astonishing worked because it built off of Morrison's, while also harkening back to Claremont and yet still being its own thing.

Like I said, I think Bendis was trying to do the same with his Uncanny run, but it certainly didn't work that way.
That's how I see the events, except the difference here is that there's no breaks in-betewen and this is seemingly ending with the opposite of war lol. The artists we have so far are Kuder and Rocafort so these books will look really good at least lol.

Every X-writer now is trying to invoke Claremont to varying degrees of success lol. I bet if we were to pull up old interviews they would all mention that run.

Manhunter #4 is up on CMX.

Probably just grabbing the last two Starlin books in the Marvel BOGO sale. Don't have enough money on hand to buy the issues I've waited on so I'll wait for an actual sale on them.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #6
Okay
who the fuck is this guy? I find it intriguing that Zack, the Black Ranger, was offered the Green Dragon coin, and then a monster called the Black Dragon" shows up and has powers that directly affect the Morphin Grid.

Voltron: Legendary Defender #2
That was...anticlimactic. Well let's see what's up next.

ROM #2
YOU AIN'T SEEN SUSPENSE LIKE THIS BEFORE! THIS IS SOME OLD SCHOOL RADIO SERIAL SHIT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT ALL!
Every X-writer now is trying to invoke Claremont to varying degrees of success lol. I bet if we were to pull up old interviews they would all mention that run.
Oh absolutely. Guaranteed. Everybody's trying to redefine everything, Claremont-style. And it's only worked about twice since then.

Honestly, I want someone to go full Silver Age for the next run. A singular team of five doing dumb bull shit WITH A NEW TEAM. Something fresh. The current ANXM is part way there with Idie, Evan, and Laura. Throw in two more and ditch the rest of the O5, give them some kind of backseat mentor and do superhero shit.

Then you motherfuckers can try and "redefine" everything. Until then, you give me a dumb superhero book with good characters.

Damn. I'm gonna go overboard on my comics budget this month lol.

--

Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family

What a fantastic comic. I already love all the little bits of world building and the inner family politics. And the premise is just so interesting, it could go so many different directions.

--

Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family

What a fantastic comic. I already love all the little bits of world building and the inner family politics. And the premise is just so interesting, it could go so many different directions.

Hahah...and it does. This is maaaaybe my favourite book out right now, it's up there with southern bastards. The writing is incredible, the ways Rucka deftly navigates the world building without getting too lore or exposition heavy is great, always the focus on characters. Volume 2 takes a bit of a turn in focus, but it adds to the scope of the world, really incredible stuff. And Lark's art! I thought he was great on Gotham Central but it's top of the league here. I really love Forever 's relationship with Joacquim, I love the childlike simplicity, it really shines a light on what it's like being a lazarus, while drawing the comparison of the families. Jonah and Joanne are suitably creepy haha. Just, fuck, wait til you read more. It's quite a grimey world Rucka has created, and he doesn't shy away from the realities & consequences of some of the ideas he came up with for the state of the world. I'm still reeling from the end of vol. 4

Top three I think: Lazarus, Southern Bastards, & Saga, although if Velvet shipped more often it would maybe take Saga in the knife fight. Can't go wrong with either. Secret dark horse is Invisible Republic. Only read the one volume but I really liked that too.
And obviously the Mignola books are just partying in their own awesome corner.

I am loving the two page spreads in MOKF. And the letters to the editors complaining about the two page spreads. :D

This Gulacy guy is decent at this drawing business.

ViewtifulJC, does the run stay awesome through to the end? (#125 I think). I need to start budgeting for the rest. And possibly the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu books.

This book is good.

Yes it is! Can't wait for the third trade. Releases middle of next month I think.

LMQCJGX26KQFK

40% on almost anything at Barnes and nobles including boardgames. But I used it to buy Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind Box set for $30 each.

Both those box sets are so brilliant. (The sets themselves and also the content!)

I don't need anything right now but might as well take a look.

Hagi

Oh damn another BOGOF for Marvel? guess it's time to catch up on Ms Marvel. Tempted to get Han Solo but I'll wait for the trade like I do the rest of the Star Wars line. Not sure if there's anything else.

Oh damn another BOGOF for Marvel? guess it's time to catch up on Ms Marvel. Tempted to get Han Solo but I'll wait for the trade like I do the rest of the Star Wars line. Not sure if there's anything else.

Hagi, how do you feel about the main book? I like Star Wars well enough, but not really enough to be jump on the star wars line. However, if I ignore the name and jsut think well received jason aaron space book, I'd be on it quick as a flash. You think there's enough there for someone not particularly enthused by star wars continuity etc and more in it for just good writing and art? I don't really know what it is that powers the good reviews for the book. I also just can't imagine that he's not having to jump through hoops with every tale not to do something that would be stupid for the characters to never reference again. I don't know.

Hagi

Hagi, how do you feel about the main book? I like Star Wars well enough, but not really enough to be jump on the star wars line. However, if I ignore the name and jsut think well received jason aaron space book, I'd be on it quick as a flash. You think there's enough there for someone not particularly enthused by star wars continuity etc and more in it for just good writing and art? I don't really know what it is that powers the good reviews for the book. I also just can't imagine that he's not having to jump through hoops with every tale not to do something that would be stupid for the characters to never reference again. I don't know.

I like it well enough, it's not as good as Darth Vader but Aaron is still pumping out a really solid book. It's kind of weird that they are filling in so much stuff between A New Hope and Empire but meh it's not that big a deal to me. I definitely recommend it if you are a Star Wars fan but I'd give Vadar priority. Gillen writes the shit out of that book and it's amazing even if it steers into some of the weird EU stuff at times. I'm sad it's ending but it's good that they are letting him end it naturally rather than drag it out for ££££. Excited to see what he does next.

I've enjoyed pretty much everything they've done with Star Wars so far. Still have to read the Leia trade but I hear that's pretty weak.

I know this question isn't directed at me but:

It's had its ups and downs but I'd say it's been consistently good overall. The dialogue can feel a bit iffy at times - I think Gillen has a better grasp of Vader's dialogue for example - but if the idea of a book centering around the main trio interests you it's worth reading it. If you're not a big Star Wars fan it's not really doing anything revolutionary that would change your mind. It's the book that's most similar to the adventures in the original trilogy. Some of my favourite issues have been the one-off stories that follow Obi-Wan's adventures between III and IV.

I like it well enough, it's not as good as Darth Vader but Aaron is still pumping out a really solid book. It's kind of weird that they are filling in so much stuff between A New Hope and Empire but meh it's not that big a deal to me. I definitely recommend it if you are a Star Wars fan but I'd give Vadar priority.

I know this question isn't directed at me but:

It's had its ups and downs but I'd say it's been consistently good overall. The dialogue can feel a bit iffy at times - I think Gillen has a better grasp of Vader's dialogue for example - but if the idea of a book centering around the main trio interests you it's worth reading it. If you're not a big Star Wars fan it's not really doing anything revolutionary that would change your mind. It's the book that's most similar to the adventures in the original trilogy. Some of my favourite issues have been the one-off stories that follow Obi-Wan's adventures between III and IV.

Wadium, it was only directed at Hagi since he was talking about it a bit, always happy/want to hear anyone's responses to stuff i ask about :)

As to both your points, cheers. It still leaves me a bit hmmm if I'm being honest. Like I said, I enjoy star wars, I watched the originals growing up a lot and took my kid to see the new movie (it was literally released on his birthday so how can you say no to that memory) and also liked that a fair bit. That said, I really dooon't have any compulsion to read a book about the main trio specifically haha, but if it's a successful book at capturing that star wars feel and Aaron's writing is good, then I'm still considering it.

I am SUPER conflicted by both your opinions regarding Vader being *the* book, a better book and so on also. I feel like I need to share my secret secret, and I really don't want to, because I know I will get savaged for it haha.

I have only read the wicked + the divine volume 1 by Gillen and I REALLY did not like it. Literally everyone seems to love the series though so I've accepted myself as the outlier on this one and keep quiet about it haha

Wadium, it was only directed at Hagi since he was talking about it a bit, always happy/want to hear anyone's responses to stuff i ask about :)

As to both your points, cheers. It still leaves me a bit hmmm if I'm being honest. Like I said, I enjoy star wars, I watched the originals growing up a lot and took my kid to see the new movie (it was literally released on his birthday so how can you say no to that memory) and also liked that a fair bit. That said, I really dooon't have any compulsion to read a book about the main trio specifically haha, but if it's a successful book at capturing that star wars feel and Aaron's writing is good, then I'm still considering it.

I am SUPER conflicted by both your opinions regarding Vader being *the* book, a better book and so on also. I feel like I need to share my secret secret, and I really don't want to, because I know I will get savaged for it haha.

I have only read the wicked + the divine volume 1 by Gillen and I REALLY did not like it. Literally everyone seems to love the series though so I've accepted myself as the outlier on this one and keep quiet about it haha

I haven't read a huge amount of Gillen's work either. It sounds like he can be pretty hit or miss but I think he's done a great job on Vader. I really like how he's managed to use prequel and original trilogy material without if feeling like they're fighting against each other. It's had some of the best new characters out of the Star Wars comics too.

Maybe you could pick up the first trade and see what you think. Both are pretty indicative of how each series has panned out.

shingi70

Banned
I can't wait to get off of work, it's been pretty chilly this past week. Gonna kick back with some tea and my iPad and get caught up on some comics and Manga.

Owzers

I'm tempted to order from Barnes....but I think my books will arrive damaged and this is a mistake.

Anyone have a good experience with them recently? Last time had no packaging material in the box.

Master of Kung Fu omnibus is only $51 at B&N after the coupon!

iZombie omnibus - $31.

Doom Patrol omnibus - $60.

I'm tempted to order from Barnes....but I think my books will arrive damaged and this is a mistake.

Anyone have a good experience with them recently? Last time had no packaging material in the box.

Only order tpbs and manga from them, unless they have a really really good deal. (Absolute death is $43 after this code, so I am tempted to get that).

No physical Barnes near you?

The stores don't price match the website. Even if you order store pick up, they'll charge you the store price once you get there.

Maybe you could pick up the first trade and see what you think. Both are pretty indicative of how each series has panned out.

Yea man, I probably will. I love Aaron's sensibilities as a writer so I doubt I'd hate it, just need to figure out if I want to commit to a star wars book. I'd brought it up in last months thread and no-one responded so just wanted to jump on while it was relevant. Cheers for the thoughts.

TheFlow

Banned

Ordered plenty of stuff without no damage. Just recently bought from then the doom patrol omnibus and uncanny x men omnibus. Both arrived perfect.

Plus they have better free shipping policies. 3 day shipping on 35 dollar orders and up.

Owzers

Ordered plenty of stuff without no damage. Just recently bought from then the doom patrol omnibus and uncanny x men omnibus. Both arrived perfect.

Plus they have better free shipping policies. 3 day shipping on 35 dollar orders and up.
Were they loose in a box and you get lucky or did they package decently?

I see free standard shipping with $25 purchases, no three day without damages

TheFlow

Banned
Were they loose in a box and you get lucky or did they package decently?

packaged well. I would put them on the same level as amazon if not better. only difference is amazon has damaged several of my books.

I am going to order from them again this weekend so I will post a pic of the packaging.

Hagi

Yea man, I probably will. I love Aaron's sensibilities as a writer so I doubt I'd hate it, just need to figure out if I want to commit to a star wars book. I'd brought it up in last months thread and no-one responded so just wanted to jump on while it was relevant. Cheers for the thoughts.

He's got the characters voices down really well and comes up with some pretty fun stuff for them. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a pretty big Star Wars mark but if you like Aaron I'd give it a chance.

It's nice having people to talk about comics with, don't really get the chance outside of Gaf.

I made a thread about the Atlantic article about Kirby and Marvel. Feel free to chime in about the lengths(and money) Disney has also gone to to keep Mickey Mouse.

Owzers

packaged well. I would put them on the same level as amazon if not better. only difference is amazon has damaged several of my books.

I am going to order from them again this weekend so I will post a pic of the packaging.

For me, the same level as amazon would be loose in a box and three times receiving a damaged Hellboy Library edition until i gave up.

He's got the characters voices down really well and comes up with some pretty fun stuff for them. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a pretty big Star Wars mark but if you like Aaron I'd give it a chance.

It's nice having people to talk about comics with, don't really get the chance outside of Gaf.

Yea I wrote it off back when it was anninced but it felt close minded to write off an aaron book simple because of it being a license, I read his superhero books after all.

Haha too true, I don't think anyone in my town knows what a comic book is in any real regard. Then again, none of my friends even play video games really. My partner will read a few books, she likes azarellos wonder woman a whole lot and american vampire but in general she's not interested either.

Black Science, Vol. 1

I'm surprised how indifferent I am to this given the premise and it being Rick Remender.

I have a ton of issues with this but the biggest one was how little of a shit I gave about any of the characters when stuff was happening to them.

The hit the ground running approach absolutely did not work. So many characters and names that you get associated with over the course of the volume but it hardly matters because your 4 issues in as that's happening and forgot to care when stuff was actually happening.

A slower pace and approach would have done wonders for this. Gonna drop this as I'm really disappointed in it.

Top Bottom