• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Owzers

Black Science, Vol. 1

I'm surprised how indifferent I am to this given the premise and it being Rick Remender.

I have a ton of issues with this, but the biggest one was how little of a shit I gave about any of the characters when stuff happened to them.

The hit the ground running approach absolutely did not work here. So many characters and names that you get associated with over the course of the volume but it hardly matters because your 4 issues in and forgot to give a care when stuff already happened.

A slower pace and approach would have done wonders for this. Gonna drop this, really disappointed in it.

Prettttty much how i felt about the book too, but I eased into enjoying it after awhile, probably during volume 2, though perhaps not to the point where i say " wait a second here, Trump isn't that bad".

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So fuckin close to this long weekend I can taste it.

My Hero Academia & Deus Ex all weekend let's goooo

Also - thoughts on the new avatar? not sure how i feel about it

Black Science, Vol. 1

I'm surprised how indifferent I am to this given the premise and it being Rick Remender.

I have a ton of issues with this but the biggest one was how little of a shit I gave about any of the characters when stuff was happening to them.

The hit the ground running approach absolutely did not work. So many characters and names that you get associated with over the course of the volume but it hardly matters because your 4 issues in as that's happening and forgot to care when stuff was actually happening.

A slower pace and approach would have done wonders for this. Gonna drop this as I'm really disappointed in it.

This is oddly how I felt about it after finishing the first volume but I really liked the first two issues and then didn't like where it went but then eventually ended up coming back around on it.

Still didn't end up being what I went in wanting, but still kind of like it.

So fuckin close to this long weekend I can taste it.

My Hero Academia & Deus Ex all weekend let's goooo

I'm somehow going to try to fit Obduction, new league in Path of Exile and new season in Overwatch into this weekend.

Black Science, Vol. 1

Yup, I agree with this. I would say this is the weakest book he's on right now, out of Deadly Class & Low . Not sure where I place Tokyo Ghost yet. He obviously likes game of thrones alot because all of his books right now seem to favour
shock deaths of characters you thought would be/are typically the main. Havent read vol.4 of deadly class but it seems like what everyone is hinting in here
, which I can live with, but it's not actually what makes the story good in GoT, and it can be overdone. However, he commits a worse sin with this book/volume than the previous problem that pushes it further than others by
then replacing characters he killed with alternate versions super quick
. I love the art on black science, the concept is really cool, but it lets him fall into bad tendencies, and they are things that usually lessen my investment in a book. If I were to drop a book, this would likely be first on the chopping block.

Just found out Gerard Way is doing a Doom Patrol book. Enjoyed umbrella acadamy

Hell yes, come post some more once you've read it. Or starting now!

Messi

Black Science, Vol. 1

I have a ton of issues with this but the biggest one was how little of a shit I gave about any of the characters when stuff was happening to them.

The hit the ground running approach absolutely did not work. So many characters and names that you get associated with over the course of the volume but it hardly matters because your 4 issues in as that's happening and forgot to care when stuff was actually happening.

A slower pace and approach would have done wonders for this. Gonna drop this as I'm really disappointed in it.

It doesn't improve and I never felt anything for any of the characters.

Hagi

Yea I wrote it off back when it was anninced but it felt close minded to write off an aaron book simple because of it being a license, I read his superhero books after all.

Haha too true, I don't think anyone in my town knows what a comic book is in any real regard. Then again, none of my friends even play video games really. My partner will read a few books, she likes azarellos wonder woman a whole lot and american vampire but in general she's not interested either.

Nobody I know around my age here takes any interest in comics either but that's the norm. My girlfriend really liked Court of Owls, she's into Squirrel Girl, Harley Quinn and I Hate Fairyland but on the whole she's way more into manga.

Speaking of Snyders run I'm not big into western action figures but the Capullo designer series DC are doing look fantastic. I already have Zero Year Batman but I really want these as well.

http://www.tfaw.com/Toys/Profile/DC-Designer-Series-Batman-By-Capullo-Action-Figure-2-Pack___504079
http://www.tfaw.com/Toys/Profile/DC...o-Survival-Gear-Batman-Action-Figure___499992

Capullo is such a fantastic artist, I loved his designs on Batman.

Has anyone checked if the Marvel "BOGO and another(GOTG in this case) sale at the same time" trick still works?

Going to have to expand on this...

Vyer

Nobody I know around my age here takes any interest in comics either but that's the norm. My girlfriend really liked Court of Owls, she's into Squirrel Girl, Harley Quinn and I Hate Fairyland but on the whole she's way more into manga.

Speaking of Snyders run I'm not big into western action figures but the Capullo designer series DC are doing look fantastic. I already have Zero Year Batman but I really want these as well.

http://www.tfaw.com/Toys/Profile/DC-Designer-Series-Batman-By-Capullo-Action-Figure-2-Pack___504079
http://www.tfaw.com/Toys/Profile/DC...o-Survival-Gear-Batman-Action-Figure___499992

Going to have to expand on this...

damn, those are awesome. even if I wasn't the biggest fan of Superheavy

CMX has a buy one get one free sale.

QQ: Does this also count for the Guardians comics already on sale?

Do they "stack" in Borderlands parlance?
Actually, as someone here discovered in the last DC BOGO sale, the "trick" is that books on sale still counts as full priced books for BOGO sales so you could pick up 12 ass old issues of JSA in a sale and 12 issues of a new book like Batman and you'd only pay the price the JSA issues cost on sale instead of the full Batman price.

Hagi

CMX has a buy one get one free sale.

QQ: Does this also count for the Guardians comics already on sale?

Do they "stack" in Borderlands parlance?

Oh right I get it now and I just checked it seems to work fine. Wouldn't really waste money on Bendis run though even at such a low entry point.

damn, those are awesome. even if I wasn't the biggest fan of Superheavy

Yeah they are awesome indeed. I wish Marvel did something similar to an artist line because Legends are horrible.

Oh right I get it now and I just checked it seems to work fine. Wouldn't really waste money on Bendis run though even at such a low entry point.
But there are Rocket, Groot and Angela issues people could use for it. I can't because I own all the issues I want in the sale and is short on money.

Couldn't really get into Deadly Class, I should give Low and Tokyo Ghost a try.

When reading Low, remember to be optimistic!

That Year Zero figure is awesome. It would not last 2 minute sin my hands though before disappearing into my kids room forever. He has a Rick Grimes in there, and he doesn't even know what the walking dead is.

Re: My Black Science Opinion (too many to quote)

I'm glad my opinion isn't too out of the ordinary. I shouldn't have bought the full volume but ah well, I was on a high of reading so much great stuff.

Re: My Black Science Opinion (too many to quote)

I'm glad my opinion isn't too out of the ordinary. I shouldn't have bought the full volume but ah well, I was on a high of reading so much great stuff.

I still really love it for the art, Scalera is incredible there. A lot of beautiful variant covers too. And at least you got Lazarus, there is that.

Hagi

That Year Zero figure is awesome. It would not last 2 minute sin my hands though before disappearing into my kids room forever. He has a Rick Grimes in there, and he doesn't even know what the walking dead is.

haha we don't have any kids yet but that is something I'm going to have to prepare for at some point. Going to have to buy some detolfs when we get our house to protect my Hot Toys and such.

Speaking of Capullo, Kotobukiya released their Endgame Joker the other day. I like it but I don't think it resembles Capullo's art quite as well as it could.

Koto-New-52-Joker-ARTFX-001.jpg

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
weakest book he's on right now, out of Deadly Class & Low

I take it back: I'm not buying you shit, as you cannot appreciate good comics.
:)

I'm reading Black Science this weekend and will post my shitty, mostly "rah-rah comics!," impressions later.

I still really love it for the art, Scalera is incredible there. A lot of beautiful variant covers too. And at least you got Lazarus, there is that.

Yea, I really like the art. It fits the premise quite well.

I also agree with your comment on GoT. I'm hoping none of my current reading list falls for that sorta trap.

Hagi

Speaking of Capullo, Kotobukiya released their Endgame Joker the other day. I like it but I don't think it resembles Capullo's art quite as well as it could.

The face looks a bit too thin, I like the DC Collectables version better. I need to get the Koto Emma and Magik at some point.

weakest book he's on right now, out of Deadly Class & Low QUOTE]

I take it back: I'm not buying you shit, as you cannot appreciate good comics.
:)

I'm reading Black Science this weekend and will post my shitty, mostly "rah-rah comics!," impressions later.

Hahah waaait wait wait, before I respond, I'll clarify what I was saying, I don't know if I worded that well. I REALLY like Deadly Class. I LIKE Low, although it has some shock flash tactics in its storytelling that are dangerously close to going back to the well one too many times and Black Science...I mean, it's got great art and I like seeing what worlds they visit. What are we disagreeing on here haha?

Yea, I really like the art. It fits the premise quite well.

I also agree with your comment on GoT. I'm hoping none of my current reading list falls for that sorta trap.

Hahaha.....I can actually think of two other books not by Remender that I really like that have did it in the last year or so. I literally can't even say anything for fear of even hinting at things for those who haven't read the books, but I would say both times it was handled extremely well.

Thought you wrote that LOW was a shit book. Nevermind, carry on.

Nono. I like it in a sadistic what misery is next kind of way, and I do actually care what happens to the main character, I want to know how they can have any semblance of a life after all this. The book feels like it's all about resolve, and pushing forward no matter what , and it's exciting for that, there's a lot of things you can do with that as a theme. I will say at least with all these Remender books the art is beau-

It's just a very ugly book. :)

QfMriFe.jpg

When reading Low, remender to be optimistic!

FTFY?

They are all good books so they are always worth giving a shot to. But Deadly Class is by far my favorite Remender book so I don't know if you'll enjoy the others or not.

With Deadly Class I appreciated what it was going for and could understand why it was good objectively. It just wasn't for me. Until shit face or whatever his name was I just had no real interest or care for any of the characters and the nostalgia aspect wasn't really doing much for me.

Owzers

Everyone gets overwatch season 2 but ps4 people. I bet we get it tonight...

I read a couple MU issues, All New Wolverine #5 and Avengers #6. Wolverine was iffy because i'm not too fond of "shrink down to enter people's bloodstream" but i still enjoyed the issue for the content around it. Avengers continues to disappoint and continues to be grouped with the other marvel books i read that seem like they are just occupying space between relaunches.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
With Deadly Class I appreciated what it was going for and could understand why it was good objectively. It just wasn't for me. Until shit face or whatever his name was I just had no real interest or care for any of the characters and the nostalgia aspect wasn't really doing much for me.

I can understand that. Lack of connection with the characters is what holds Black Science back for me. You might dig Deb and Led from Tokyo Ghost a bit more. Just keep in mind if you do try it that it takes about 3 issues to really get going.

Umm... I think I am just too positive a reader; the book is gorgeous.

Nah I'm just super picky with my art. In this case I think it has more to do with the coloring than Tochini's pencils.

Stay Golden Ponyboy :)

Bii

Everyone gets overwatch season 2 but ps4 people. I bet we get it tonight...

I read a couple MU issues, All New Wolverine #5 and Avengers #6. Wolverine was iffy because i'm not too fond of "shrink down to enter people's bloodstream" but i still enjoyed the issue for the content around it. Avengers continues to disappoint and continues to be grouped with the other marvel books i read that seem like they are just occupying space between relaunches.

Started Season 2 because why not. First game I get into, some guy was already trying to dictate who everyone should be. :/

We lost the game and ignored him throughout as he tended to go solo with his Pharah whereas the rest of us grouped up. He had a mic too since it was annoying to hear him constantly complaining.

*sigh*

Started Season 2 because why not. First game I get into, some guy was already trying to dictate who everyone should be. :/

We lost the game and ignored him throughout as he tended to go solo with his Pharah whereas the rest of us grouped up. He had a mic too since it was annoying to hear him constantly complaining.

*sigh*

I still haven't hit level 25 sad face

*sigh*

I though the shitty early season woes would go away or be lessened because it's season 2, but nope. Still people picking a character instantly then begging people to change their choices, people going into a character and saying they play nothing else, no attempt at communication.

Can we just get to the last month and ahalf of the season where all this was weeded out?

ElNarez

Banned
what are these dumb numbers that aren't Destiny numbers

(PS: I'm a 333 light, and right now I'm just 3oC farming exotics until the 20th because I am a fundamentally broken husk of a man)

Hmm. Made the wall of shame, only been back for two weeks. Does this mean I have tiger blood or nae?

So bored waiting for these books already. I need new stuff to read. Lore, did you active the omega thread yet?

the latest valiant stuff in the past few weeks has been a whole other level.

generation zero #1 i ain't even finished and it's already one of my books of the year.

read it nao

Top Bottom