• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Malyse

so we get three new iron men after CW2 and two are female?
0e3.png

Ross61

Wait is batman getting a new artist after monster men?

But either way I doubt he can top what is shown in monster men. Like I think this is on par of not better than superman and green arrows art
Yep, Finch and Janin are alternating arcs. And I love Janin's art on Grayson.

All it took was having Tom King NOT write the issue for it to be great. Pretty hilarious to credit him with "plot" while Steve Orlando killed it in the actual, you know, script writing department.

DC, take note. We can return to King's ode to Gotham Girl in a month. Until then, I look forward to a Batman comic that's actually great.

I actually thought that the dialogue was pretty clunky, tbh. Codename oversaturation. Much prefer King's prose, even if the plot has been a little lacking.

I think I reached double my mankind divided playtime in dragon quest in 2-3 days, compared to 2-3 weeks with Deus Ex.

I wish that Aaron Dauterman OHC would show it's face but not a whiff yet. Anyone else got it?

I actually thought that the dialogue was pretty clunky, tbh. Codename oversaturation. Much prefer King's prose, even if the plot has been a little lacking.

Interesting. The ONLY complaint that hyperbolic, 10/10 comic reviewers have against King's Batman is his dialogue is gratingly bad at times. Everyone repeats the same phrases three or four times, with unnatural uses of "I mean." Also, everyone stutters.

My opinion on King is basically a 180 from yours. I think he can sometimes nail the big picture plot game, when his clunky writing and repetitive dialogue stay out of the way. His take on Batman hasn't nailed either, and honestly feels complicated rather than complex. I imagine he was shooting for the opposite.

Yep.
Bane is evidently controlling Psycho Pirate, who in turn infected Gotham Girl.

It's as dumb as it sounds.

Uhhhhh

Bane is controlling Strange, evidently, who broke out Psycho Pirate on his behalf. Which is actually not that surprising. A psychological attack on Batman, followed by repeated physical attacks, followed by a direct confrontation... sound like anbody's MO we're familiar with?

Interesting. The ONLY complaint that hyperbolic, 10/10 comic reviewers have against King's Batman is his dialogue is gratingly bad at times. Everyone repeats the same phrases three or four times, with unnatural uses of "I mean." Also, everyone stutters.

My opinion on King is basically a 180 from yours. I think he can sometimes nail the big picture plot game, when his clunky writing and repetitive dialogue stay out of the way. His take on Batman hasn't nailed either, and honestly feels complicated rather than complex. I imagine he was shooting for the opposite.

Wow, that's a first for me. I think he's got a fantastic writing style. His plot skills are on point as well, but the big selling point of Vision is the writing, and Sheriff has fantastic dialogue.

The only big "wtf" moment for me from his Batman run is the serial numbers thing, everything else has been rock solid. I love the very, very dry sense of humor he's given Bruce.

PsychBat!

Banned
Uhhhhh

Bane is controlling Strange, evidently, who broke out Psycho Pirate on his behalf. Which is actually not that surprising. A psychological attack on Batman, followed by repeated physical attacks, followed by a direct confrontation... sound like anbody's MO we're familiar with?
Yup, Pinkie Pie.

Out of interest, do you feel like that about his dialogue in his other books, or just this one? Just for context.

Can't believe I posted that locke and key cover earlier and not one remark about how awesome it is.

Uhhhhh

We might be saying the same thing here? Straight from Tom King's mouth:

"TK: I can reveal that the second arc is called “I Am Suicide,” and as you see from the end of #6, that’s Batman forming his own Suicide Squad to take Psycho Pirate back from Bane. Psycho Pirate is the only way you can cure Gotham Girl, so Batman is becoming more and more obsessed with finding a cure for all the hopes he put into Gotham and Gotham Girl. Our third arc will be called “I Am Bane,” and it’s the repercussions of Batman’s illegal mission into Bane’s territory to steal Psycho Pirate, and what goes wrong and what goes right in that."
http://comicsalliance.com/tom-king-batman-i-am-gotham-interview/

Out of interest, do you feel like that about his dialogue in his other books, or just this one?

I love what I've read of Vision so far, but that's mechanical by its very nature.

I love what I've read of Vision so far, but that's mechanical by its very nature.

Cool man, just trying to draw a bigger picture on where you stand with him while reading the chat. Have you read Omega Men, nah?

Without spoilers for the newer vision issues, can anyone say, has Waid said anything about dealing with the fallout of the vision series given hell be writing vision and viv in his two team books? Or do we think when vision comes to a close it's effectively a closed book on all that stuff?

TheFlow

Banned
Uhhhhh

Wow, that's a first for me. I think he's got a fantastic writing style. His plot skills are on point as well, but the big selling point of Vision is the writing, and Sheriff has fantastic dialogue.

The only big "wtf" moment for me from his Batman run is the serial numbers thing, everything else has been rock solid. I love the very, very dry sense of humor he's given Bruce.
I wonder what bane has on strange to make him go this far.

We might be saying the same thing here? Straight from Tom King's mouth:

"TK: I can reveal that the second arc is called “I Am Suicide,” and as you see from the end of #6, that’s Batman forming his own Suicide Squad to take Psycho Pirate back from Bane. Psycho Pirate is the only way you can cure Gotham Girl, so Batman is becoming more and more obsessed with finding a cure for all the hopes he put into Gotham and Gotham Girl. Our third arc will be called “I Am Bane,” and it’s the repercussions of Batman’s illegal mission into Bane’s territory to steal Psycho Pirate, and what goes wrong and what goes right in that."
http://comicsalliance.com/tom-king-batman-i-am-gotham-interview/

Ah, I thought you meant that
Bane was controlling Pirate while he was still in Gotham.

I wonder what bane has on strange to make him go this far.

Well, considering the newest issue, I have to imagine that at least part of it is access to some sweet PEDs.

Hagi

Im tempted to buy Batman #6 because it's interesting that King is using that character but at the same time the book on the whole has been a bit of a dud for me.

Seven to Eternity was amazing, I live for this shit! Feels like Remenders take on Dark Tower.

TheFlow

Banned
Im tempted to buy Batman #6 because it's interesting that King is using that character but at the same time the book on the whole has been a bit of a dud for me.

Seven to Eternity was amazing, I live for this shit! Feels like Remenders take on Dark Tower.
I would buy it just so you could read monster men.

And we are lacking seven to eternity impressions here. I will let you guys off the hook since yah pull 4 times the amount I do

Feels like Remenders take on Dark Tower.

Hagi don't do that to me I don't like it. I can't handle dark tower comparisons unless you're telling me it's utterly exceptional and top of its class.

How are people feeling about trinity? His art is great but whether it was Manapul or buccalatto, that first detective trade I have by them is pretty poor storytelling.

DC Announced their Writers Wrokshop members. One of their names is freaking Owl Goingback. That's awesome. I hope they're great.

Haha that's the name I picked out a few pages back too, it's jumps right out at you. I mean, it's awesome but also, who does that to their kid. My kid goes to nice school and he'd be bullied mercilessly for being called Owl.

He is not wrong

Dude, the dark tower is a high hiiiiigh bar to compare to. I mean, Remender will never write anything the caliber of the dark tower. That's for sure. The dark tower is a series that transcends genre. It's a horror, it's a western it's a crime drama at moments. It's as much as about a black woman who is mentally ill and a recovering junkie as a cowboy on an epic mystical quest. It's about the cumulation of many works spanning 30 years being drawn together into a cohesive thematic tapestry, and watching one of the greatest writers of our time maturing over that period as he does it. It's also about a man crawling back out of having his hip shattered. Saying something is like the dark tower is a high bar, that's all.

aly

Just gonna repost from the other thread: What a great week for comfy stories. Trinity, Superdad, and Green Lantern were all good. Night of Monster Men is also off to a fantastic start in both Batman and Nightwing. How is it all so good?

Surprised by people not liking the dialogue in Kings Batman. For me the only clunky parts are when Duke jumps in to narrate something. Like King forgot he was there and had to give the kid something to do.

Hagi

I would buy it just so you could read monster men.

And we are lacking seven to eternity impressions here. I will let you guys off the hook since yah pull 4 times the amount I do

I'm pretty meh on that as well to be honest, i'll pick up the Monster Men trade next year probably.

Hagi don't do that to me I don't like it. I can't handle dark tower comparisons unless you're telling me it's utterly exceptional and top of its class.

How are people feeling about trinity? His art is great but whether it was Manapul or buccalatto, that first detective trade I have by them is pretty poor storytelling.

I haven't read all the books but It really does have the same kind of feel to Dark Tower. I'm pretty piss poor at putting how I feel about media to a page but reading this issue did make me think of that world Stephen King created. Certainly the atmospehere and somewhat the scope. I enjoy all of Remenders Image work to varying degrees but I have a feeling we're in for something special with this.

edit: lol seems I should have expanded earlier on what I meant by that comparison....

Finished Walt Simonson's Thor. Very good read, stayed consistently strong. Favorite individual issue I think was either Surtur's invasion of Asgard or Thor's Battle vs the Midgard Serpent. Not sure if I agree with it being one of the best runs of all time but it's just good comics through and through, and consistent.

Hopping back over to read Watchmen for the first time before I continue with more Thor. Finished the first issue and I'm already impressed by Gibbon & Moore's work, and also how literal Zack Snyder's translation from book to movie is.

I haven't read all the books but It really does have the same kind of feel to Dark Tower. I'm pretty piss poor at putting how I feel about media to a page but reading this issue did make me think of that world Stephen King created. Certainly the atmospehere and somewhat the scope. I enjoy all of Remenders Image work to varying degrees but I have a feeling we're in for something special with this.

edit: lol seems I should have expanded earlier on what I meant by that comparison....

Haha I'm half teasing man. Well I'm completely serious but also, I knew exactly what you meant and I appreciate that as a touchstone. I know what people say when they say it. I also just love to have an excuse to type some words about King xd

Also, that guy being native american, it's funny in a world where people are calling their kids apple and whatever, that didn't occur to me.

Liked Trinity.

Superman #7,
why is Aquaman thanking Superman for help when he was just threatened by him last issue of Aquaman, and Arthur is no longer talking to the Justice League?
Comic continuity is always funny. Like people rave about shared universes, but two issues dropped today that don't gel with one another. I don't care about minor inconsistencies in portrayals, but simple stuff like the relationship status of two prominent JL members?

Full disclaimer: I don't pull Justice League because it's terrible. Maybe they're playing aquatic Dutch ovens inside clamshells over there.

Ross61

Liked Trinity.

Superman #7,
why is Aquaman thanking Superman for help when he was just threatened by him last issue of Aquaman, and Arthur is no longer talking to the Justice League?
Comic continuity is always funny. Like people rave about shared universes, but two issues dropped today that don't gel with one another. I don't care about minor inconsistencies in portrayals, but simple stuff like the relationship status of two prominent JL members?

Full disclaimer: I don't pull Justice League because it's terrible. Maybe they're playing aquatic Dutch ovens inside clamshells over there.
I don't read Aquaman, but are the events of that book happening at the same time as Superman?

I don't read Aquaman, but are the events of that book happening at the same time as Superman?

Nobody ever knows. I would assume so. The scope of what's happening in Aquaman is pretty damn massive, to the point it would impact everything else. Nations at war.

Comics.

Superman #7 was great, by the way.

Hagi

Liked Trinity.

Superman #7,

Superman is pretty much year one for the family so I'm just assuming it takes place before every other book.

Raven was good.

Superman is pretty much year one for the family so I'm just assuming it takes place before every other book.

Raven was good.

That sort of makes sense if you think that Trinity also takes place before everything else. I'm more inclined to think it's current with everything else and the family is feeling out everyone since they're from a different universe. They repeat that every issue.

Top Bottom