• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Ross61

Are we talking about Justice League? Cause this sounds like Justice League.

------

So, Superman is even more confusing than I thought? Superman isn't even the proper Superman for his world; that Superman died and he just decided "Fuck it, I'm Superman here now". And Batman is all #NotMySuperman in JL and Trinity. But then, if Superman died and left his world without a Superman, thus leading to Luthorman, Supergirl, New Superman, and Superwoman to fill in the gap of a missing Superman, who the fuck is Superman filling in for? What the fuck is happening? Who fucking approved this? Bring me their hands.

Pre-Flashpoint Superman is filling in for New 52 Superman. There will always be a Superman. It's basically a new "Reign of Supermen."

PsychBat!

Banned
So, Superman is even more confusing than I thought? Superman isn't even the proper Superman for his world; that Superman died and he just decided "Fuck it, I'm Superman here now". And Batman is all #NotMySuperman in JL and Trinity. But then, if Superman died and left his world without a Superman, thus leading to Luthorman, Supergirl, New Superman, and Superwoman to fill in the gap of a missing Superman, who the fuck is Superman filling in for? What the fuck is happening? Who fucking approved this? Bring me their hands.

ZwVVl3c.gif

Sandfox

Are we talking about Justice League? Cause this sounds like Justice League.

------

Yeah, when Rebirth was first announced I thought it was funny how we got a bunch of Superfamily books being described as some character trying to fill in for New 52 Superman.

I continue to say, Hal Jordan is the better GL book. And it shouldn't be. It's fucking Hal Jordan, for crying out loud.
My friend said the same thing. He's been telling me that Guy's busy being a hoss, which makes me happy
Wally and Kyle need to take their books back by force.
I'm loving Titans, so I'm okay with where Wally's at, at least.
-New 52 Superman died
-Pre-Flashpoint Supes is now filling in as the true Superman.

Not that confusing, especially given what Rebirth is. You are actually making it sound way more confusing than it really is.

Raven was good!

Is DC just trying to make that their thing? THat's how every episode of Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl start.

I hope the WWE Boom Studios comic does this, but with Enzo Amore and Big Cass

the '90 Nomad miniseries has the best intros ever because the format was "[insert city] is known for [being shit] but it's great if YOU HAPPEN TO LOVE THAT" and then

I love how Vixen and Hawkgirl are an item in Bombshells. A nice reference and twist to their rivalry in Justice League Unlimited over John Stewart imo.

I love in general how there's so many same-sex pairings though. A shipper's dream come true.

I hope we get a version (like another period piece not set in the Bombshells universe) where all the male superheroes are paired together too lol.

The Kree

Banned
You'll all still vote for me. You have no better option. Stop lighting cars on fire, idiots. That's all I wanted here. Have a super Tuesday.

Fucking. Amazing.

Still not seeing this. Anyone who likes Trinity, did you like the detective comics run Manapul did? The writing of course, everyone likes the art.

Btw, nice guys, usually when I get up there's been maybe 2 pages chat max while I slept, I think that's 4 today.

I vastly prefer the "my name is" internal monologue reintroduction to the little disembodied captions you get in some team books that remind you whatever powers everyone has and usually have some unfunny three or four word quips that take you completely out of the story the moment your eyes are drawn to them

Yes New Avengers I'm talking about you

Edit: I dub these Family Circus Captions - you hate them and you don't want to read them because they actually diminish the experience but you inevitably read them anyway

I vastly prefer the "my name is" internal monologue reintroduction to the little disembodied captions you get in some team books that remind you whatever powers everyone has and usually have some unfunny three or four word quips that take you completely out of the story the moment your eyes are drawn to them

Yes New Avengers I'm talking about you

Edit: I dub these Family Circus Captions - you hate them and you don't want to read them because they actually diminish the experience but you inevitably read them anyway

Fuck you New Avengers is godlike

Fuck you New Avengers is godlike

Hey now I love that book but the captions are fucking dumb. Like sometimes they pop up well into the issue when a character appears unexpectedly and...we're really doing this now? You can't just have somebody nearby say her name and call it good? Gotta get a quip in and ruin the moment

This fucking book

It was really great. All the stuff he did later was fucking awesome too, but I kind of wish he'd done more SHIELD/spy stuff before he finished up at Marvel. I bet he could have did something with Nick being the unworthy ha

Another mnoth, another round of great reviews for Black Hammer, can't wait for this book to hit trade. This month's cover is really nice too.

hidys

Hey comics GAF.

So I recently bought myself a copy of Batman Chronicles vol. 1 (collection of Detective Comics #27-38 and Batman #1) and was shocked to find that the artwork was different form the originals.

The originals look like this:

OlCnvHMb.jpg

While in my copy...

XbsyG0b9.jpg

So really what I want to know is why did they redo the drawings to look like shit?

They could've at least kept the purple gloves...

Sadist

So I just read Civil War II #5

Oh come on, a future with Miles killing Cap? That's the biggest load of stupid I've read in a while now. Nobody on the Carol side starts to wonder about Ulysses's powers?

Vision #11 however was amazing. What a book.

That book has been on my list of things to check out. What's it about?

The general conceit as I understand it is a group of people who were basically golden age heroes / pulpy clichés in their heyday, that wake up on a place called the farm, and it's implied that's where you're sent after you've been put out to pasture, and the story is built around how they reacted and accept that, and what they do about it. I think it's a bit of an exercise in taking very tropey characters and giving them real character depth too. That is basically it, I didn't follow too deep so it may vary there a little, I read this about a year or two ago in some interviews lemire did, and I don't know how meta lemire gets with the concept but that was enough to sell me. Art us great and reviews have been high so I'm on board for sure

Dusknoir

Night of the Monster Man....pretty god damn good. It honesty doesn't fell forced at all. Everything in Detective, Batman and Nightwing feels so connected. The art is really good too. Good start for the first cross over in Rebirth. I wonder when a Superman cross over going to happen.

Batman & Nightwing

The writing was a little meh because it felt like being beat over the head about Batman not letting anyone die, but overall I like the start of this cross-over. It's different than I thought it would be in a good way. Definitely want to read more.

I need to look back at the artist on this Batman, I really liked the art.

Black Hammer 2&3

Somehow missed the second issue so I had 2 to read this week. I really like this book! I don't know what else to say. I have no idea what's going on but I really like the character and I like the mystery while not really needing it to progress that much. I just like learning more about the characters right now.

Mighty Thor

I was double tricked! I thought I called the 'twist' when Jane started talking about knowing what she knows if she thinks it but then
It shows Mjolner again with Thor so I dropped that thought
then it actually got me. Didn't care too much for all the other stuff though. The Shield stuff just seemed kind of bleh to me.

Superman

Nice little light hearted story. I really liked this.

Ninjak 18

I had jumped on in the last arc and thought I was mostly up to speed, but then this issue caught me off guard. Someone who follows Ninjak more, do the arcs usually jump around like this and then usually play catch-up from there?

Malyse

My friend said the same thing. He's been telling me that Guy's busy being a hoss, which makes me happy

I'm loving Titans, so I'm okay with where Wally's at, at least.

-New 52 Superman died
-Pre-Flashpoint Supes is now filling in as the true Superman.

Not that confusing, especially given what Rebirth is. You are actually making it sound way more confusing than it really is.
So what Earth is missing a Superman? Cause NSM, SG, SW make it clear there is no Superman around, but PCSM is apparently filling in for N52SM.

It actually is that confusing.

I think it's just, the original superman is back, now the new 52 superman died?
I think any of the confusion is linked to the watchmen. Stuff like, well who the fuck was the new 52 superman/why did he turn to sand/why do batman etc not remember old stuff that old superman does is all going to be explained/retconned with that and dr manhattan stealing time.
Pretty sure its just, originally the new 52 was supposed to be a redo at an editorial level, but now rebirth posits that it wasnt and all these characters have been consistent, it was just
watchmen fuckery.
and now superman is a thing that needs squared up to fit with that. This is how i understand it anyway, I could be wrong

Not counting Johns' run, what's the best Aquaman arc/story?

Peter david Aquaman but he didn't get to finish it. Theres a mini called Time and Tide before it and Atlantis Chronicles also. Atlantis Chronicles was cool.

I like some of the older stuff too but I've been a dork for Aquaman since Superfriends came out.

So what Earth is missing a Superman? Cause NSM, SG, SW make it clear there is no Superman around, but PCSM is apparently filling in for N52SM.

It actually is that confusing.

It's just a matter of them accepting this new Superman. There seemed to be some confusion when N52 Supes died that the general public thought he was missing. Lex wants to be the Superman and he doesn't want to accept this imposter. Most the Heroes didn't really know what this "new" Superman(Pre-Crisis) was going to do or who he even was. He's been around for a while but no one was really aware of him before Last Days of Superman.

I think it's just, the original superman is back, now the new 52 superman died?
I think any of the confusion is linked to the watchmen. Stuff like, well who the fuck was the new 52 superman/why did he turn to sand/why do batman etc not remember old stuff that old superman does is all going to be explained/retconned with that and dr manhattan stealing time.
Pretty sure its just, originally the new 52 was supposed to be a redo at an editorial level, but now rebirth posits that it wasnt and all these characters have been consistent, it was just
watchmen fuckery.
and now superman is a thing that needs squared up to fit with that. This is how i understand it anyway, I could be wrong

The Superman that's around now just had a different world, it supposedly accounts for where him and Lois were and what they were doing for a while in their own book, but I didn't read it so I'm not real sure how in depth it goes.

The Superman that's around now just had a different world, it supposedly accounts for where him and Lois were and what they were doing for a while in their own book, but I didn't read it so I'm not real sure how in depth it goes.

Ah right I must be way off then, sorry. I understood it as he had the exact same world as everyone else but at some point
the watchmen
came along, stole time for some reason and gave everyone the new 52 as a backstory to cover it up. And particularly made it grim dark like joker cutting his face off because they represent the 80s and modern comics man!!. Original supes didn't fit that plan with his baby etc so he got jettisoned and a different superman got plugged in.

I kind of like my version haha! Hire me DC!

Ah right I must be way off then, sorry. I understood it as he had the exact same world as everyone else but at some point
the watchmen
came along, stole time for some reason and gave everyone the new 52 as a backstory to cover it up. And particularly made it grim dark like joker cutting his face off because they represent the 80s and modern comics man!!. Original supes didn't fit that plan with his baby etc so he got jettisoned and a different superman got plugged in.

I kind of like my version haha! Hire me DC!

It could still end up being that way, we just don't exactly know what the Watchmen stuff will account for yet. It could get to the point where this Superman's world hopping was really just bypassing and missing out on the Watchmen stuff and he really has the true memory of the current world, but as of right now he was just a different universe's Superman.

Top Bottom