• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Pay0n7A.jpg

WWI was a good setting for Pretty Deadly. I'm surprised how much I liked vol. 2. It's way better than vol. 1.

I thought it was better than the first arc too. Rios and Bellaire stepped up their game big time.

frye

people who disliked the first half of Pretty Deadly shouldn't be in a hurry to pick up the second half: it's fundamentally still the same comic that swings between interesting and elliptical and downright confusing (all the while being very good looking of course) it always was

Wow that looks incredible. I found the first volume a little bit of a slog even if I did really enjoy the spirit of it. I also specifically remember not understanding something about one of the support characters and it ended up being something that was referenced / explained in the prose stuff in the single issues which was a little off putting. I think I'll get volume 2 anyway though, if only for Rios' art and to see where it goes.

It helps that vol. 2 felt more straightforward and to the point than monologue after monologue about fairy tales and death. That stuff is still there but it's in small parts this time and the majority of the story is focused on this one conflict in WWI.
Rios art improved big time.

people who disliked the first half of Pretty Deadly shouldn't be in a hurry to pick up the second half: it's fundamentally still the same comic that swings between interesting and elliptical and downright confusing (all the while being very good looking of course) it always was

It helps that vol. 2 felt more straightforward and to the point than monologue after monologue about fairy tales and death. That stuff is still there but it's in small parts this time and the majority of the story is focused on this one conflict in WWI.

Rios art improved big time.

Does this one also have story prose that are exclusive to the single issues?

BTw, PRetty Deadly being the way it was, made me a little uneasy and I never did jump on Bitch Planet. Anyone a fan?

I will keep that in mind, though I wouldn't say I disliked it. I thought it was a lovely and ambitious book that didn't quite achieve its goals. If the second arc had started sooner I probably would have bought it already; I just lost interest. Maybe I will only buy the first issue of the arc and proceed with caution.

BTw, PRetty Deadly being the way it was, made me a little uneasy and I never did jump on Bitch Planet. Anyone a fan?

You know, that book is an odd duck. I've read a couple of issues and it's...really good...but? Also ugly and unpleasant, frankly. I don't mean ugly like bad art, I mean the subject matter, the general book content, is intentionally ugly and I had trouble with it as a result.

So I'd say it's worth trying even though I'm not pulling it anymore.

You know, that book is an odd duck. I've read a couple of issues and it's...really good...but? Also ugly and unpleasant, frankly. I don't mean ugly like bad art, I mean the subject matter, the general book content, is intentionally ugly and I had trouble with it as a result.

So I'd say it's worth trying even though I'm not pulling it anymore.

Hmm. Interesting! Not the answer I expected. As long as it isn't explotitive or crass, I kind of find that potentially positive. If it gives me something to really mull over, like Unknown Soldier for example, I don't mind stuff that's *ugly*, if it has merit or something to say. Lord knows, I suffered through Gerald's Game recently, and that was extremely uncomfortable.

Does this one also have story prose that are exclusive to the single issues?

It does have little short stories at the end of the book if that's what your asking. I never read the single issues. Also, if Pretty Deadly made you uneasy then I don't think Bitch Planet is gonna be any better knowing it's subject matter. Messi was enjoying it up until the second story arc where I heard Kelly's hardcore feminism really got to shine. The important thing is that if your a dude reading Bitch Planet, you have to remind yourself that she's not talking bad about you.

It does have little short stories if that's what you are asking. I never read the single issues. Also, if Pretty Deadly made you uneasy then I don't think Bitch Planet is gonna be any better knowing it's subject matter. Messi was enjoying it up until the second story arc where I heard Kelly's hardcore feminism really got to shine. The important thing is that if your a dude reading Bitch Planet, you have to remind yourself that she's not talking bad about you.

Nono, I meant uneasy just in terms of being a bit burned by it, content missing etc, not content matter haha. And yea I meant the prose stuff. So is that included in the second trade? Or how did you read even haha? Feel like I missed something here.

Well, like I said, I read King's path of the moon stuff recently which is entirely about how abusive and demeaning it can be for females in a male driven world. Is that the kind of thing we're talking about?

This is strong so I'll spoil, but those books deal with women who were abused by their fathers growing up, sexually. Also mental abuse, having their money stripped from them and stuff. It's all fiction but very grim stuff no less. It was King's response to the argument he couldn't write from a female perspective or appreciate the things women suffer through.

Mudcrab

Secret Warriors was a great run, but I felt like there was some stuff that could have been expanded on more. And maybe it was in Hickman's SHIELD stuff previous to this run? In particular, Aries. Does anything get done with him after this? He sets up the whole Great Wheel, talks about how long-lived he is, and then we see him completely unchanged standing along with everyone else in Quake's new SHIELD.

Other than that it was fucking awesome. J.T. got what was coming to him. Never liked him. Also, why were Quake and Sebastian together in Hawaii? Just chillin, I assume?

"Aries" is one of the principal characters in Hickman's SHIELD.

Nono, I meant uneasy just in terms of being a bit burned by it, content missing etc, not content matter haha. And yea I meant the prose stuff. So is that included in the second trade? Or how did you read even haha? Feel like I missed something here.

I read it by trade and all I can say is there are a collection of short stories that were on issues 1 and 2 and behind the scenes look at Rios art process.

Owzers

Star Wars Annual was fairly good but who cares? Let me spoil things for you:
your spy isn't killing the Emperor, we all know this, so when you have the chance to take him out and we all know you'll fail, that's half the tension right there. Now it's only about how he failed and it was interesting, and enjoyable, but empty and pointless.

Star Wars Annual was fairly good but who cares? Let me spoil things for you:
your spy isn't killing the Emperor, we all know this, so when you have the chance to take him out and we all know you'll fail, that's half the tension right there. Now it's only about how he failed and it was interesting, and enjoyable, but empty and pointless.

Wait until the Rebel Jail arc.

Tie-ins of Civil War II feel so self-aware of the issues that plague the event and how it's perceived, even by readers. Yet that self-awareness actually hurts them more due to how terribly done the tie in is.

In other news, All New Wolverine 12 sucked. This must be the billionth time the same strands of CW II were repeated in a tie in issue surrounded by a predictable plot and terrible characterization.

I should thank Marvel for this event. Easiest way to trim my pull list.

Sandfox

Tie-ins of Civil War II feel so self-aware of the issues that plague the event and how it's perceived, even by readers. Yet that self-awareness actually hurts them more due to how terribly done the tie in is.

In other news, All New Wolverine 12 sucked. This must be the billionth time the same strands of CW II were repeated in a tie in issue surrounded by a predictable plot and terrible characterization.

I should thank Marvel for this event. Easiest way to trim my pull list.
I liked Wolverine lol

I liked Wolverine lol

I dunno. Maybe all this CW 2 nonsense is getting to my head.

Laura was mean as hell to Logan too. Poor guy.

Someone should also put a bullet in Maria Hill. Save the Marvel Universe from one villain at least.

It's kind of sad that the most effective Marvel villains are the heroes themselves. As a minority, I'd never fucking want to live in the Marvel Universe, holy shit.

Sandfox

I dunno. Maybe all this CW 2 nonsense is getting to my head.

Laura was mean as hell to Logan too. Poor guy.

Someone should also put a bullet in Maria Hill. Save the Marvel Universe from one villain at least.

It's kind of sad that the most effective Marvel villains are the heroes themselves. As a minority, I'd never fucking want to live in the Marvel Universe, holy shit.
Logan deserved it and I like how different their relationship is from what we are used to considering how much is put into Laura looking up to the man.

Logan deserved it and I like how different their relationship is from what we are used to considering how much is put into Laura looking up to the man.

Yea, at a level Logan deserved it. But Laura was completely aware of what was going on with him and how the entire scenario occurred and still wouldn't stop near the end as he pleaded.

Like if your going to get pissed off that something bad almost happened, and you should, have the balls to do it equally to all parties involved. Nah, leave the government sanctioned force responsible for the shit that happened with a "stern" lecture and some dumb lines about the future.

Good one.

Sandfox

Yea, at a level Logan deserved it. But Laura was completely aware of what was going on with him and how the entire scenario occurred and still wouldn't stop near the end as he pleaded.

Like if your going to get pissed off that something bad almost happened, and you should, have the balls to do it equally to all parties involved. Nah, leave the government sanctioned force responsible for the shit that happened with a "stern" lecture and some dumb lines about the future.

Good one.
Well she told pleaded his case to Cap even after all that and called SHIELD out on their actions.

Well she told pleaded his case to Cap even after all that and called SHIELD out on their actions.

Right, guess we'll agree to disagree. I feel that one side, the one that was somewhat of a victim, got a much harsher treatment from Laura then the other.

I should thank Marvel for this event. Easiest way to make time for scalped

Here here!

I did always mean to check out Harley btw guys, starfire not so much and I'm not sure what the infinite loop us. But I did want to check out Harley I just literally haven't made time for it. I read a load of bat books already and I try not spend too much on capenbooks in general so it always pulls the short straw. Maybe with Rebirth.

That wasp pic is awesome too, girl has style.

Here here!

I did always mean to check out Harley btw guys, starfire not so much and I'm not sure what the infinite loop us. But I did want to check out Harley I just literally haven't made time for it. I read a load of bat books already and I try not spend too much on capenbooks in general so it always pulls the short straw. Maybe with Rebirth.

Bahaha, I should post non-Scalped things more to see how you convert it. :p

Top Bottom