• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Hmm. With Geoff jonzz off to the movies, I think I could steer this ship. I already like Snyder and Tom King. Tim told me once that Steve Orlando can have his good days. I even like the bvs ultimate cut. DC, call me maybe.

Ninjak 18

I had jumped on in the last arc and thought I was mostly up to speed, but then this issue caught me off guard. Someone who follows Ninjak more, do the arcs usually jump around like this and then usually play catch-up from there?

As far as accessibility goes, this arc has definitely been weaker. It builds on a lot of past events and it's kind of hard to follow. I don't think they will explain the gap between the last arc and this one, if that's what you're asking, but it's building on some already established stuff - the Shadow Seven, Dr Silk, and some things from Ninjak's past.

As far as accessibility goes, this arc has definitely been weaker. It builds on a lot of past events and it's kind of hard to follow. I don't think they will explain the gap between the last arc and this one, if that's what you're asking, but it's building on some already established stuff - the Shadow Seven, Dr Silk, and some things from Ninjak's past.

Seems weird after they themselves pointing to the last arc as a good jumping on point. Let's immediately follow that up with a hard to understand arc!

VanWinkle

Still not seeing this. Anyone who likes Trinity, did you like the detective comics run Manapul did? The writing of course, everyone likes the art.

Btw, nice guys, usually when I get up there's been maybe 2 pages chat max while I slept, I think that's 4 today.

It was alright. I think people are too harsh on Manapul as a writer, but he's not even remotely in the upper echelon. I like the ideas he comes up with though. The stories are fun, even if the writing execution isn't great.

CazTGG

ROM #3: This new series continues to be a surprisingly good read, namely due the (likely unintentional) channeling of John Carpenter's "The Thing". The Dire Wraith's methods of assimilating earth's inhabitants is simultaneously a creative and horrific showing while the paranoia and distrust the main characters makes for a solid conflict to carry the rest of the series forward along with its strong characterization on both fronts
...though D'rge not killing ROM is still dumb on their part, albeit understandable since there wouldn't be a comic if they killed ROM in the third issue
. It's not quite as good as issue 2, but still an enjoyable read in its own right.

ROM: Revolution #1: Yet again, there's an unexpected level of horror here with a somewhat tragic backstory to boot, with an opponent who ROM doesn't want to harm due to them, despite their appearance, being human and wishing to help them, all while keeping his newest ally safe from harm. As a done-in-one issue, it's a fine story, albeit it doesn't really do anything to incite interest in seeing how ROM plays a part in the Revolution event so much as it does for the prospect of Not!Hybrid in the main books.

that supergirl cover is too dope.

is any Robbie Reyes GR good? agents got me hyped
No. The writing is really bad but the art is ducking awesome. So just get ready for amazing Tradd Moore art if you pick up the first volume.
Hey comics GAF.

So I recently bought myself a copy of Batman Chronicles vol. 1 (collection of Detective Comics #27-38 and Batman #1) and was shocked to find that the artwork was different form the originals.

The originals look like this:

OlCnvHMb.jpg

While in my copy...

XbsyG0b9.jpg

So really what I want to know is why did they redo the drawings to look like shit?

They could've at least kept the purple gloves...
Reprints of old issues often get reprinted. Usually it's not good but in this case I imagine the color changes are due to the different kinds of printing materials. Back then, the paper comics were printed on wasn't very good and wouldn't hold colors well so you had to put really strong colors for them to look good which is not the case anymore these days.

The printing methods of comics back then is also the reason why comics artists used inks to draw with rather than rendering with something else. Because the paper was so shitty you weren't gonna get anything else to show clearly.

Aquaman cover is hot.

Two things

I don't get the hate for manapauls writings, it's serviceable if not fun and goes well with his style of art.

Aquaman is one of the best rebirth books that constantly is slept on around here.

I thought it was just as plodding and dull as Action Comics but without the mystery to keep me hooked. Dropped at issue 3.

Comic sites are getting quite intense with stuff. I mean, spoilers have always been bad and bleeding cool have did this forever, and maybe it's just the redesign, but even since the cbr redesign, I'm noticing a lot of spoiler articles on individual issues, outside of the content of some reviews, putting in lots of panels. I run so far behind of cape comics I kind of let the spoilers roll off my back outside of some specific exceptions (I'll cry if I know the end to Vision before I get there myself), but it seems pretty bare face these days. Maybe it's just me tuning in to what was already there. Things that should be cool things to discover as you read being put out there in the mainstream comic media sites and in the titles a day from release, I dunno.

The good thing is they basically ignore comics in this regard outside of the big two, so I mostly live happy and can visit without much worry in terms of books I genuinely am invested in. If I'd wanted to remain free of who *died* in detective comics until the trade though, I'd have to avoid every site categorically, some really unsubtle shit.

(Just a thought btw, and not a particularly original one, but def not a dig at you sharing this Lore, and rainbow batman really isnt a big spoiler, it was just that got me thinking)

shingi70

Banned
now this is a damn lie.

I thought it was just as plodding and dull as Action Comics but without the mystery to keep me hooked. Dropped at issue 3.

I was a fan of Alberta previous Aquaman run before Rebirth started. This run has hit its stride and the second arc has been pretty great. Tensions are running hot and Manta and Nemo are doing everything to push the US and Atlantis to War.

Something I noticed is DC said they'd start doing smaller quarterly events starting with Monster Men and JLvSS. You can tell what they be by looking at a few books and the stories their telling.

Superman - something similar to the region of the supermen dealing with all these current super people.

Red Dawn - The ending of Green Lanterns #6 points at a Red Lanterns themed events coming up.

Rise of the seven seas - Aquaman is pushing it hard, and it's become inevitable. Thing is what side of things with Arthur fall on.

I was a fan of Alberta previous Aquaman run before Rebirth started. This run has hit its stride and the second arc has been pretty great. Tensions are running hot and Manta and Nemo are doing everything to push the US and Atlantis to War.

Something I noticed is DC said they'd start doing smaller quarterly events starting with Monster Men and JLvSS. You can tell what they be by looking at a few books and the stories their telling.

Superman - something similar to the region of the supermen dealing with all these current super people.

Red Dawn - The ending of Green Lanterns #6 points at a Red Lanterns themed events coming up.

Rise of the seven seas - Aquaman is pushing it hard, and it's become inevitable. Thing is what side of things with Arthur fall on.

I can definitely see Green Lanterns leading to an event, but it will be a complete bummer if it's that long until the GLC actually does anything. Only so long I can deal with them sending one person at a time until Sinestro grabs them. Some type of event seems like the right time to have the GLC to all come together again.

Owzers

I know that people have opinions about things but i saw Trump on The Late Show with Fallon and he seemed like a genuinely fun guy so i don't get where all this liberal fear-mongering is coming from. Also, the Legion would be nothing without Superman, and he was American. No one was clamoring for Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, and Lightning Lad to sneak into my country just to visit someone people actually remember. Also, Also, the DC relaunches their line of books and doesn't even bother having a Legion book, sad really.

I know that people have opinions about things but i saw Trump on The Late Show with Fallon and he seemed like a genuinely fun guy so i don't get where all this liberal fear-mongering is coming from. Also, the Legion would be nothing without Superman, and he was American. No one was clamoring for Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, and Lightning Lad to sneak into my country just to visit someone people actually remember.

I'm waiting for the day a new poster comes in here (by accident of course, why else would you visit off topic community) and reads the stuff you write hahah

I know that people have opinions about things but i saw Trump on The Late Show with Fallon and he seemed like a genuinely fun guy so i don't get where all this liberal fear-mongering is coming from.

Don't even try to make sense of it. Everything that either Trump or Hillary does right now is going to be criticized to a ridiculous extent by the other candidate's supporters. If you try to talk about anything sensibly, you'll only end up frustrating yourself. The candidates themselves are barely talking about the issues, just what a shitty person the other guy is.

Seems weird after they themselves pointing to the last arc as a good jumping on point. Let's immediately follow that up with a hard to understand arc!

Well, here's the gist of it what you need to know:

-Ninjak infiltrated and defeated most of the Shadow Seven in the second arc. Fitzy (clone dude) and Fakir (multi-arm dude) were two of them.
-Dr Silk was the villain in the second arc of Unity. I forgot exactly what he did, but he was terrorizing shit.
-The Shadow Seven (including Colin) were all trained by the same person, the Undead Monk, in that invisible monastery thing that Ninjak stumbled into at the end of #18.
-Even though Unity is a superhero team akin to the Avengers, they don't really get along all that well and don't even like each other, even though there's a certain level of trust in that animosity. That's why you'll see GIlad and Colin not really have many nice things to say to each other.
-The Deadside is akin to an underworld plane where ghosts, demons, and spirits all go to. They may not have mentioned it yet, but Silk will be bringing it up. I'm have a hard time finding an analogy to it in another universe.

Things are going to get even more confusing when they start jumping between young Colin and old Colin, so hold onto your seatbelt.

Also, regarding "good jumping on points," Valiant advertises that with almost every new arc, and 9/10 times it usually is the case. It's just bad luck you jumped into this one with only the last arc's knowledge.

It's all so sad. Marvel usually comes up with decent ideas for events but they get ruined in the telling. They need to figure out where they go wrong every time.

Well, here's the gist of it what you need to know:

-Ninjak infiltrated and defeated most of the Shadow Seven in the second arc. Fitzy (clone dude) and Fakir (multi-arm dude) were two of them.
-Dr Silk was the villain in the second arc of Unity. I forgot exactly what he did, but he was terrorizing shit.
-The Shadow Seven (including Colin) were all trained by the same person, the Undead Monk, in that invisible monastery thing that Ninjak stumbled into at the end of #18.
-Even though Unity is a superhero team akin to the Avengers, they don't really get along all that well and don't even like each other, even though there's a certain level of trust in that animosity. That's why you'll see GIlad and Colin not really have many nice things to say to each other.
-The Deadside is akin to an underworld plane where ghosts, demons, and spirits all go to. They may not have mentioned it yet, but Silk will be bringing it up. I'm have a hard time finding an analogy to it in another universe.

Things are going to get even more confusing when they start jumping between young Colin and old Colin, so hold onto your seatbelt.

Also, regarding "good jumping on points," Valiant advertises that with almost every new arc, and 9/10 times it usually is the case. It's just bad luck you jumped into this one with only the last arc's knowledge.

The Deadside was probably the easiest part to get right away. The young and old Colin was definitely the most confusing. If the next issue is even more confusing I may just pick up trades to catch up because I've liked it quite a bit.

Give me Ulysses’ vision where Tony and Carol realise how thick-headed they’re being and actually work together as heroes again.

False equivalency, Tony is right, Carol is a moron and an evil supervillain.

The plot just feels like a skeleton made of stunt after stunt after stunt. None of the drama feels earned and every issue feels engineered to try and explode the internet.

YUP. ACCURATE.

Not to mention, having a young black kid kill the symbol of America—even if Steve is evil now—is the worst kind of fake-deep. If the metatext of Civil War II is a concern about how peacekeeping authorities impinge on individual liberties, then having it manifest in this vision where Miles kills Steve Rogers is extremely heavy-handed. It screams “SUBTEXT!” in a way that will set off a million eye-rolls.

omfg do NOT get me started

There’s a lot of comics I’m excited for in Marvel Now, and getting to see the state of the world with characters like Doctor Doom, or Riri Williams, and what’s been changed by this event. But I’m ready to move on from the actual event that brought that world state about. They might still be standing divided in Marvel Now, but at least they’ll be standing and not endlessly fighting about it.

You see Marvel? This is how badly things are fucked up right now. Nobody gives a shit what happens in CWII. Three more issues at $5 apiece (ha ha yeah right #8 will be $8 or something) and nobody CARES. All of the new books will be out by then anyway, we'll know basically everything that's happened, all that's left is the strength of the storytelling and it's not. there. at. all.

Hickman got away with it - BARELY - because Secret Wars, in addition to launching the new line, was also the final chapter of his Avengers magnum opus that many people adored. CWII does not have that same advantage. It is floating in space with nothing to ground it. Every issue characters act like assholes and idiots. Events happen just to move things along, nothing feels organic about it. And the "social commentary" is FUCKING INSULTING.

Grrrr. CWII #5 made me so mad. I've never turned so hard on a book before. Everything that came before seems lesser now, all the room I was giving Bendis on this story has evaporated. Fuck this whole event.

The Deadside was probably the easiest part to get right away. The young and old Colin was definitely the most confusing. If the next issue is even more confusing I may just pick up trades to catch up because I've liked it quite a bit.

If you've got the interest and money, I would definitely recommend going back for those first few arcs. Like with almost all Valiant titles, it probably won't run past 25 issues total, so there's not much story left; and those early arcs are fantastic espionage stories.

EDIT: well, this is a thing

smisk

Civil War II #5 -

Yeah that was definitely the worst issue so far. I've enjoyed the series so far, but nothing of note happened in this issue. Just dumb quippy dialogue and no real arguments as to why the characters are supporting each side. Art continues to be great at least.

Civil War II: Choosing Sides #6 -

God, the art in that JJ story was awful... This was one of the weaker issues but I liked this series overall. It was cool to get to see some less popular and well known characters even if they never had enough pages to tell a complete story. If they had a double sized anthology style series with different characters each month I'd totally pick it up.

Civil War II #5 -

Yeah that was definitely the worst issue so far. I've enjoyed the series so far, but nothing of note happened in this issue. Just dumb quippy dialogue and no real arguments as to why the characters are supporting each side. Art continues to be great at least.

Not true, not true!

Star-Lord:
I think [the visions] are great.

Iron Man:
Come on!

IN A MASTERFUL FEAT OF SUBTEXT AND A BRILLIANT CALLBACK TO CIVIL WAR THE MOVIE, THE VISION ACCIDENTALLY DESTROYS PETER'S SHIP, PERMANENTLY STRANDING THE GUARDIANS ON EARTH BECAUSE THAT WAS THE ONLY SPACESHIP WITH A TAPE DECK

This is deep stuff and all very subtle so I can see why you missed it.

8 know it's the big thing this week, but for how little y'all are actually enjoying civil war 2, it's dominated the chat over the last day. Revel in the books that were good this week!

God damn right I'd complain if I spent 5 dollars on it

Sandfox

Not true, not true!

Star-Lord:
I think [the visions] are great.

Iron Man:
Come on!

IN A MASTERFUL FEAT OF SUBTEXT AND A BRILLIANT CALLBACK TO CIVIL WAR THE MOVIE, THE VISION ACCIDENTALLY DESTROYS PETER'S SHIP, PERMANENTLY STRANDING THE GUARDIANS ON EARTH BECAUSE THAT WAS THE ONLY SPACESHIP WITH A TAPE DECK

This is deep stuff and all very subtle so I can see why you missed it.
The reason Bendis gave is that nobody wants to give/sell them one advanced enough lol. I'm conflicted on the Guardians thing because all of the new ongoings sound like they're going to be good.

I'm conflicted on the Guardians thing because all of the new ongoings sound like they're going to be good.

Well none of them are written by bendis right and even he is finishing up with his next arc. I think you'll be safe if you're confident in the writers/premise of each book

Sandfox

Marvel's cosmic line is looking much stronger with Now than it was in ANAD, but now three of the books will be replaced with
stories taking place on Earth.

If the Guardians are on earth, who's guarding the galaxy?
Well I mean
Thanos is on Earth naked and tied up in Carol's basement lol

Secret Warriors was a great run, but I felt like there was some stuff that could have been expanded on more. And maybe it was in Hickman's SHIELD stuff previous to this run? In particular, Aries. Does anything get done with him after this? He sets up the whole Great Wheel, talks about how long-lived he is, and then we see him completely unchanged standing along with everyone else in Quake's new SHIELD.

Other than that it was fucking awesome. J.T. got what was coming to him. Never liked him. Also, why were Quake and Sebastian together in Hawaii? Just chillin, I assume?

8 know it's the big thing this week, but for how little y'all are actually enjoying civil war 2, it's dominated the chat over the last day. Revel in the books that were good this week!

Raven was good. I think that was the only comic out this week.

Secret Warriors was a great run, but I felt like there was some stuff that could have been expanded on more. And maybe it was in Hickman's SHIELD stuff previous to this run? In particular, Aries. Does anything get done with him after this? He sets up the whole Great Wheel, talks about how long-lived he is, and then we see him completely unchanged standing along with everyone else in Quake's new SHIELD.

Other than that it was fucking awesome. J.T. got what was coming to him. Never liked him. Also, why were Quake and Sebastian together in Hawaii? Just chillin, I assume?

There's definitely some plot points that were a little constrained, since it got cut short if I remember right? But also that's just Hickman's style. He does pick some stuff up in shield, although I'm not sure it's anything you mentioned. A really good run, that amd bru on cap was a great time for marvel.

Raven was good. I think that was the only comic out this week.

I was looking at the preview for that actually, after serpentine mentioned it earlier, the art looks pretty cool. I wasn't sure about Wolfman still having it but if it was good.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Well none of them are written by bendis right and even he is finishing up with his next arc. I think you'll be safe if you're confident in the writers/premise of each book
Don't know about the rest but with that creative team, Starlord is going to be THE BOMB.

Mmmm. I don't think the quality has much to do with it. Event books generate a lot of discussion regardless of how good they are; we had at least as much to talk about with #4 which was generally well received. It's just that if you're reading a decent number of Marvel books, this is what's dominating the line right now so everybody is going to have something to say about it.

The reason Bendis gave is that nobody wants to give/sell them one advanced enough lol.

How convenient :p

Mmmm. I don't think the quality has much to do with it. Event books generate a lot of discussion regardless of how good they are; we had at least as much to talk about with #4 which was generally well received. It's just that if you're reading a decent number of Marvel books, this is what's dominating the line right now so everybody is going to have something to say about it

Well, of course I do actually understand why its being discussed haha :p did you really read that as me not getting it?

WWI was a good setting for Pretty Deadly. I'm surprised how much I liked vol. 2. It's way better than vol. 1.

Wow that looks incredible. I found the first volume a little bit of a slog even if I did really enjoy the spirit of it. I also specifically remember not understanding something about one of the support characters and it ended up being something that was referenced / explained in the prose stuff in the single issues which was a little off putting. I think I'll get volume 2 anyway though, if only for Rios' art and to see where it goes.

Well, of course I do actually understand why its being discussed haha :p did you really read that as me not getting it?

No lol, sorry. Even when people are being sarcastic I like to pose the question to myself; in this case: why ARE we still talking about it? Sorry man I didn't mean to comicsplain you ;)

No lol, sorry. Even when people are being sarcastic I like to pose the question to myself; in this case: why ARE we still talking about it? Sorry man I didn't mean to comicsplain you ;)

Haha. Nah, I agree to be fair, if we seriously consider it. Its actually the least fun about trade waiting. For the most part, independent books are so insular, it hardly matters if you're up to date or not (although it's a shame, because imo those would be the most interesting books to discuss weekly for me). Even as far as cape books go though, I only read maybe 10 max books at a time from Marvel or DC and they will normally be the books that sit alone in a corner. However, if I was a singles reader, you bet I'd grab the big event book, even if it was reviewing as trash. It's like if Game Of thrones has a bad season, you're still going to tune in so you can discuss it afterwards with everyone and be part of the conversation (no idea if GoT is a good example in here). Quality is often neither here nor there. It's fun to be part of the buzz. Why skip the season finale when everyone else is watching it?

Don't know about the rest but with that creative team, Starlord is going to be THE BOMB.

Haha I never did check out Kaptara, did that finish?

Top Bottom