• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Ponn

Banned
I read a few comics on a Ipad Pro 12 inch today. It was beautiful. I can no longer be mad at you digital peeps. I totally get it now.

I pre-ordered a box of Steven Universe Pint Size Heroes.

FU11038AAlg.jpg

Send help.

BPRD Black Flame spoilers:

Holy shit they killed Roger!!! Damn.

Dunno why I've waited so long to read this after finally getting into Hellboy a few years back, but its been well worth the wait.

:(:(:( The first thing I thought about when you said you're half way through the 2nd omnibus the other day. I was going to tease about the black flame but I thought I'd keep it shut. Steel yourself man, it's all down hill from here haha.

And yea, I don't know why you've waited so long either :mad:@ haha

Yeah I've been recommended his other creator owned stuff before. I'm sure it's good but none of it really appeals to me. Especially anything he draws himself. Not a fan of his art at all.

Dude, you reaaaally owe it to yourself to read Sweet Tooth. I went into thinking his art was fugly as hell, but commited to reading any great urns that were out at the time, and you'd be surprised how I've come around on his stuff. I honestly think he has ALOT better grip on his characters in his own work and even more so when he's working entirely alone on writing & art. Sweet Tooth is REALLY great shit. I honestly think he struggles with big two stuff, I liked Animal Man a lot, and Green Arrow, but his constantine, his JLD, frakenstein to a less extent (although all these suffered him jumping ship quickly) weren't the best. He's one of my favourite writers in fact, but I would not judge him on his big two work. Kinda like Cullen Bunn really, although I'm less fond of him, but it's a similar example. Some guys can do it all, some can;t.

Haha, that's great.

Lol! Love it.

Oh, Vision is pretty great, too. But that makes 3 books out of how many?

I got Thor, Strange, Vision & Spider Gwen right now, with Old Man Logan out there on the cusp. 5 is a good number?

Other than Hellboy and related series/Usagi Yojimbo, what other great comics series are there from Dark Horse.

I like Baltimore a fair deal man, although Mignola is involved in there, with Chris Golden scripting. It's separate to Hellboy though, different world. I quite like the witcher books they've put out, with Paul Tobin & Joe Querio. I read The MAssive, that was boring. Would like to check out MGMT, Lady Killer & maybe Colder in future, they all look good. The Hellboy trades are a little pricey though so I've never ventured too much further with Dark Horse. Same with Oni Press, they do some good stuff, but I limit myself. I just can't jsutify at a certain point buying one good book for the price of two good books I can get from Image or something.

Lord already has one prepped I know it.
Nah, too much work for something most will abandon after a few weeks. They can use the ANAD thread if they want. Funny how both threads will probably have jokes about events hopefully ending in December and Gamora finally coming out.

Oh, and good morning~

Karnak #5
All I can say is that this is an amazing issue as far as the character of Karnak goes. Really gets inside his head. A surprisingly psychological issue in what has been a far more action focused series. Enjoyed it. Now to wait five more months for the next one...

Uncanny Inhumans #13
This is very much an issue where a lot of people behave very stupidly. I have no idea how to properly process this. And not in a good way. Also,
how the fuck are the Unspoken and Lineage still alive? Pretty sure Lineage killed the Unspoken, and Karnak mirdered Lineage. So what the fuck?

All-New Inhumans #11
This is the single strangest ending to a series I've ever read. A rushed as fuck series. Oh well, at least
Gorgon got his groove back and THEY REMEMBERED LUNA OH THANK GOD THEY REMEMBERED OH SWEET JOY
. Again, super weird and not really satisfying, but at least some positive things came out of it.

Just read The Unbelievable Gwenpool #6.

This book is so much fun. Every page, every panel is a delight. This is all canon, right?? I hope it is.

MOTOR CRUSH #1
STORY: BRENDEN FLETCHER, CAMERON STEWART & BABS TARR
ART: BABS TARR & CAMERON STEWART
COVER A: BABS TARR
COVER B: CAMERON STEWART
DECEMBER 7 / 40 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.99

The team behind the critically acclaimed revamp of Batgirl returns with an exciting sci-fi action-adventure series! By day, Domino Swift competes for fame and fortune in a worldwide motorcycle racing league. By night, she cracks heads of rival gangs in brutal bike wars to gain possession of a rare, valuable contraband: an engine-boosting "machine narcotic" known as Crush. Featuring Part One of ISOLA: PROLOGUE by BRENDEN FLETCHER and KARL KERSCHL!
Oh! Even more of a reason to get Motor Crush.

Civil War 2: X-Men #4
thats-it.gif

Civil War 2 #5
That was actually jusy as dumb as people said it was, BUT I want to point out one thing:
Ulysses powers are going out if control. He may very well be projecting a false future at this point. It's possible he's even writing futures. The problem is that Carol decides to arrest him and at least 90% of the fight justifications are super stupid. But if Ulysses is somehow writing them, then it doesn't seem so stupid. Kid Nova and Blue Marvel got a good laugh out of me. "Ya burnt!"
Still it was a pretty poor issue considering what came previous to it.

Gwenpool is one of the best, ballsiest characters Marvel has ever created and run with.

Gwen comes from a fictional universe much like ours, and she's a big comic book fan. She has no reason to suspect her universe is fictional, and she presumably has access to all of the same comics we do. This means she can break the fourth wall, but only in a very specific way (comic book knowledge), and there is an in-universe explanation for this ability. She has two superpowers: meta comic knowledge and superhuman recall of forgotten plot threads and obscure character names. And she likes to shoot things.

She knows about the Ultimate merge. She knows about MJ and Peter's marriage. She knows about the bizarre, shifting nature of time in the Marvel universe. Every secret, every alter ego, every retcon, she knows it all (up to the day she was pulled into the universe, of course...so everything up to ANAD at least). The possibilities are endless. I can't wait to see her interact with more characters. She could cause numerous existential crises for practically anyone. If she points out Peter Parker went to high school in the 1960s, my head is gonna explode.

If only she could cross over to DC for a day

Jason, people called and paid a fee to vote for or against your life. Jason, they paid to kill you

Thousands of people

Oh! Even more of a reason to get Motor Crush.

Really amped for both books man. I saw some studio ghibli comparisons invoked for the tone and visuals they're aiming for on Isola, which is super exiting. I love Kerschl 's stuff on Charles christopher, seems pretty apt. Between these and black cloud, image has a really great set of new books coming up

Hagi

Civil War 2: X-Men #4
thats-it.gif

Civil War 2 #5
That was actually jusy as dumb as people said it was, BUT I want to point out one thing:
Ulysses powers are going out if control. He may very well be projecting a false future at this point. It's possible he's even writing futures. The problem is that Carol decides to arrest him and at least 90% of the fight justifications are super stupid. But if Ulysses is somehow writing them, then it doesn't seem so stupid. Kid Nova and Blue Marvel got a good laugh out of me. "Ya burnt!"
Still it was a pretty poor issue considering what came previous to it.

I found it dumb because like usual these "futures" are reactions to the way she and others have continually escalated the situation. They have been shown what could happen if they continue down this road but instead of taking a minute to reflect we get for the fiftieth time "YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!". There's no subtlety to this event at all. If I was one of the kid heroes I'd end up disillusioned as well because fuck the lot of those adults.

Green Arrow

I hope this Clock King makes a comeback at some point. He was dealt with quickly but he seems like he'd have potential. Overall pretty ok mini arc.

Trinity

This is kind of what I've been wanting from Justice League. I know the broad audience probably doesn't want that but having two new green lanterns and a new superman really should have been the focus of the first arc of any book dealing with them. Great first issue looking forward to more.

Really amped for both books man. I saw some studio ghibli comparisons invoked for the tone and visuals they're aiming for on Isola, which is super exiting. I love Kerschl 's stuff on Charles christopher, seems pretty apt. Between these and black cloud, image has a really great set of new books coming up
Yeah, Kerschl is such an amazing artist. I can't wait for Isola! I had forgotten about Black Cloud... It looks great also! When is that coming out? I thought it was supposed to be this fall, but I didn't see it in any of the solicits.

Yeah, Kerschl is such an amazing artist. I can't wait for Isola! I had forgotten about Black Cloud... It looks great also! When is that coming out? I thought it was supposed to be this fall, but I didn't see it in any of the solicits.

This fall was the last update I think man unless the writers or artists have updated that on twitter. Ivan Brandon is finishing up Drifter with the next arc, so maybe he just needs the room first, to have time for Black Cloud and Versus. With Rucka's The Old Guard too, I'm going to have to look at my list next year, maybe make some cuts. Too much goodness!

tim1138

:(:(:( The first thing I thought about when you said you're half way through the 2nd omnibus the other day. I was going to tease about the black flame but I thought I'd keep it shut. Steel yourself man, it's all down hill from here haha.

And yea, I don't know why you've waited so long either :mad:@ haha

Black Flame spoilers:

Johann doesn't think he's dead though! The scene where the scientists were going to try and dissect Roger was ugh. Arcudi wrote the hell out of that sequence, with everyone's reactions and the fallout.

Hopefully Liz never needs the little totem she used to kill the frog monster again, since it fell into the ground...

Dude, you reaaaally owe it to yourself to read Sweet Tooth. I went into thinking his art was fugly as hell, but commited to reading any great urns that were out at the time, and you'd be surprised how I've come around on his stuff. I honestly think he has ALOT better grip on his characters in his own work and even more so when he's working entirely alone on writing & art. Sweet Tooth is REALLY great shit. I honestly think he struggles with big two stuff, I liked Animal Man a lot, and Green Arrow, but his constantine, his JLD, frakenstein to a less extent (although all these suffered him jumping ship quickly) weren't the best. He's one of my favourite writers in fact, but I would not judge him on his big two work. Kinda like Cullen Bunn really, although I'm less fond of him, but it's a similar example. Some guys can do it all, some can;t.

Sweet Tooth is fantastic, probably his second best work after Essex County. Lemire's work for hire stuff is good, but aside from Animal Man (which was clearly a passion project) it never hits the same emotional highs as his creator owned work.

Black Flame spoilers:

Johann doesn't think he's dead though! The scene where the scientists were going to try and dissect Roger was ugh. Arcudi wrote the hell out of that sequence, with everyone's reactions and the fallout.

Hopefully Liz never needs the little totem she used to kill the frog monster again, since it fell into the ground...

"You're alive! I'm alive!" Haha

Huh You're right! That would really suck if she needed that again! Ahaaa is all I'll say. They do execute it perfectly too.
Roger's death
spawns some great stories, and yea, the BPRD can never leave well enough alone. You will have to see where it goes though ;) Have you read the iron prometheus yet btw? you can always read it later but any time from now and on, reading that gives you some interesting insight to some characters/concepts that have been touched upon. I'm thinknig about re-reading the BPRD starting this weekend now haha. Have you got Hell On Earth too, or just the omnibuses there? I say just as if that's a small amount.

Arcudi is actually such a great writer though, it's hard to believe he's left the majority of the books. The fact Guy doesn't draw anything now either. At least James Harren has picked up the torch and is drawing the shit out of Rumble. Wait til you get to his BPRD stuff <3

I edited it out the quote but completely agree on Lemire though. I really want to get the HC edition of The Underwater Welder they put out

This fall was the last update I think man unless the writers or artists have updated that on twitter. Ivan Brandon is finishing up Drifter with the next arc, so maybe he just needs the room first, to have time for Black Cloud and Versus. With Rucka's The Old Guard too, I'm going to have to look at my list next year, maybe make some cuts. Too much goodness!
I hear ya. I try to keep my pull list for physical books manageable for space reasons, and recently had to make some big cuts(thanks Rebirth!). Thankfully I have quite a few limited series on mine, so a couple of them will be gone and make room for the upcoming goodness.

You keep reminding me of books I need to buy! Lazarus is probably my favourite ongoing so I will definitely be picking up Old Guard. It sounds fantastic!

I hear ya. I try to keep my pull list for physical books manageable for space reasons, and recently had to make some big cuts(thanks Rebirth!). Thankfully I have quite a few limited series on mine, so a couple of them will be gone and make room for the upcoming goodness.

You keep reminding me of books I need to buy! Lazarus is probably my favourite ongoing so I will definitely be picking up Old Guard. It sounds fantastic!

Haha, I'm much the same, the capes books usually go first. I think 2017 might be the year i get another ceiling high bookshelf though, I look at my list and there's not much that can go anymore, and my mignola books take an entire shelf of their own at this point. There's room in the front room for one but don't know how well that will go over...haha.

For sure, you can tell Rucka is at that age where he's really grappling with his own morality and that of those around him, the old guard on very surface level, you can see the similarities with some of the thematics to Lazarus, just going a different way with it.

I have quite a few more noted down too. Lemire with Royal City is one. I reckon I have a list right now at least half as long as the actual list of books I read currently for the books coming up in the next six months or so that I need to keep an eye on. I hope there isn't another image expo soon haha

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Old Guard and All America Comix from Casey and Dragotta are two I'm looking forward to next year.

But Tokyo Ghost just ended and Chew, Revival, Shutter, and Drifter are all ending fairly soon. So I'll have some spots opening up.

Top Bottom