• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

tim1138

"You're alive! I'm alive!" Haha

Huh You're right! That would really suck if she needed that again! Ahaaa is all I'll say. They do execute it perfectly too.
Roger's death
spawns some great stories, and yea, the BPRD can never leave well enough alone. You will have to see where it goes though ;) Have you read the iron prometheus yet btw? you can always read it later but any time from now and on, reading that gives you some interesting insight to some characters/concepts that have been touched upon. I'm thinknig about re-reading the BPRD starting this weekend now haha. Have you got Hell On Earth too, or just the omnibuses there? I say just as if that's a small amount.

Arcudi is actually such a great writer though, it's hard to believe he's left the majority of the books. The fact Guy doesn't draw anything now either. At least James Harren has picked up the torch and is drawing the shit out of Rumble. Wait til you get to his BPRD stuff <3

I edited it out the quote but completely agree on Lemire though. I really want to get the HC edition of The Underwater Welder they put out

It looks like the Iron Prometheus is a Lobster Johnson story? I haven't touched that or the Abe book yet. I've read all of Hellboy through Hellboy in Hell vol 1 and then just the first two BPRD Plague of Frogs omnis.

Vyer

Gwenpool is one of the best, ballsiest characters Marvel has ever created and run with.

Gwen comes from a fictional universe much like ours, and she's a big comic book fan. She has no reason to suspect her universe is fictional, and she presumably has access to all of the same comics we do. This means she can break the fourth wall, but only in a very specific way (comic book knowledge), and there is an in-universe explanation for this ability. She has two superpowers: meta comic knowledge and superhuman recall of forgotten plot threads and obscure character names. And she likes to shoot things.

She knows about the Ultimate merge. She knows about MJ and Peter's marriage. She knows about the bizarre, shifting nature of time in the Marvel universe. Every secret, every alter ego, every retcon, she knows it all (up to the day she was pulled into the universe, of course...so everything up to ANAD at least). The possibilities are endless. I can't wait to see her interact with more characters. She could cause numerous existential crises for practically anyone. If she points out Peter Parker went to high school in the 1960s, my head is gonna explode.

It's an expansion on the Superboy Prime concept, except funny.

ElNarez

Banned
if Seven to Eternity is why we can't have Jerome Opeña doing Big Two stuff, then it must be said that

it's not been worth it. At all. It's another Rick Remender comic about sad dads, except this one looks better than the other in some ways and worse in others (namely in the way Matt Hollingsworth isn't Dean White). Most of #1 is the dullest world-building, and that's in spite of having One great idea to start things with.

What a fucking bummer of a book.

It looks like the Iron Prometheus is a Lobster Johnson story? I haven't touched that or the Abe book yet. I've read all of Hellboy through Hellboy in Hell vol 1 and then just the first two BPRD Plague of Frogs omnis.

Yea, that's right, it's a lobster story. Lobster J: The Iron Prometheus has some interesting stuff, as does the first volume of witchfinder, but they will be interesting any time you read them so no worries. The rest of both series are more so their own thing, but the first volumes have some nice things that pop up and illuminate some other stuff, in BPRD & Hellboy. Abe 1 and 2 are pretty much whenever you feel like it, they are just *past tales* and you'll know when it's time for volume 3/the actual abe ongoing series.

I found Edward Grey fascinating for years haha every time he would pop up in Hellboy looking like that I'd be like wtf is going on there. Really satisfying too, once you've got all the pieces. Although, witchfinder volume 2 is one of the very very few stories in the whole line that I didn't enjoy much, so it does hold that special spot.

TheFlow

Banned
if Seven to Eternity is why we can't have Jerome Opeña doing Big Two stuff, then it must be said that

it's not been worth it. At all. It's another Rick Remender comic about sad dads, except this one looks better than the other in some ways and worse in others (namely in the way Matt Hollingsworth isn't Dean White). Most of #1 is the dullest world-building, and that's in spite of having One great idea to start things with.

strongly disagree. and lol the only sad dad book he has out right now is black science and that wasn't even about the dad till half way in.

Messi

How many deadly classes/10

ElNarez

Banned
strongly disagree. and lol the only sad dad book he has out right now is black science and that wasn't even about the dad till half way in.

Yeah, but, his body of work is A LOT of Sad Dads.

First thing he did when he took Cap was to make him a sad dad.

TheFlow

Banned
Old Guard and All America Comix from Casey and Dragotta are two I'm looking forward to next year.

But Tokyo Ghost just ended and Chew, Revival, Shutter, and Drifter are all ending fairly soon. So I'll have some spots opening up.

Honestly as soon as Drifter and Chew end I am buying all it on the spot. Same for Invincible next year.

TheFlow

Banned
Quick question about A huge spoiler for Detective comics

I thought tim faked his death? so is he really dead? haven't read the last 3 issue so only spoil me on his death.

Marcus in Deadly Class has daddy issues. Low too.
Marcus more along the lines of problems with his parents outcome.

Low is the same thing in a way.

I was talking more along the lines of Literally sad dads and such. Not kids having dad/mom issues because that is in a lot of books too.

I have a feeling 7 of eternity is going to be way more than about the dad. especially giving what was revealed about him in #1.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ANGR #1 was fun, especially as I had Caspian playing while reading.

What's the reading order for Tec & Monster Men? I want to read it all around Halloween time.

tim1138

Yea, that's right, it's a lobster story. Lobster J: The Iron Prometheus has some interesting stuff, as does the first volume of witchfinder, but they will be interesting any time you read them so no worries. The rest of both series are more so their own thing, but the first volumes have some nice things that pop up and illuminate some other stuff, in BPRD & Hellboy. Abe 1 and 2 are pretty much whenever you feel like it, they are just *past tales* and you'll know when it's time for volume 3/the actual abe ongoing series.

I found Edward Grey fascinating for years haha every time he would pop up in Hellboy looking like that I'd be like wtf is going on there. Really satisfying too, once you've got all the pieces. Although, witchfinder volume 2 is one of the very very few stories in the whole line that I didn't enjoy much, so it does hold that special spot.

The plan is to read BPRD straight through (I have a reading order) and then check out the side books like Abe and Lobster.

How is the Frankenstein book?

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna try to catch up on Hadrian's Wall today and attack this week's pile.
Probably just play Destiny all day...

The plan is to read BPRD straight through (I have a reading order) and then check out the side books like Abe and Lobster.

How is the Frankenstein book?

The frankenstein book is absolutely awesome man, I really really enjoyed that one. Since you already passed the fury, feel free to read that whenever you like, but that's a really great book. I'd love to see much more of the character.

I'd say that's one of the best in recent memory actually.

Wow, Batman/TMNT is still doing great:
zytdzch7gajj.jpg
This might be the surprise hit of the year.

Owzers

I need to start dropping MU titles, it's hard to consider that a thing because they are always just there, but Uncanny Inhumans shouldn't be read even if it doesn't cost extra.

Just read Lois & Clark, good stuff! Got a little confused because I didn't read Convergence and, from what I could understand, it seems that the pre-Flashpoint Earth was destroyed... ?

Ignoring that, it's a nice stand-alone story.

Top Bottom