• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

mreddie

CtD6BlkXYAAiFtR.jpg

CazTGG

So...which is worse (I know that CWII isn't quite finished but given what i'm hearing, I doubt it could salvage anything in light of recent events): The first Civil War event, or Civil War II?

Sandfox

So...which is worse (I know that there's still one more issue of CWII but given what i'm hearing, I doubt it could salvage anything in light of recent events): The one in the first Civil War event, or the one in Civil War II?

There are still three issues left of CW2 and an epilogue written by Nick Spencer. So far I would say CW2 is better, but that's not exactly a complement lol. The one thing the original has over this is that it happened before a ton of other hero vs hero books and damaged decade long relationships.

I have a problem with Miles' first big moment in the Marvel U being him getting arrested for murdering one of the most prominent white Marvel characters (who is, by the way, a secret fascist) when he didn't actually do that and everyone knows he didn't actually do that. It's hamfisted, another shocking twist in a series that has been nothing but, and this character was chosen specifically to make the story feel ripped from the headlines.

Consider how little they have to go on here, and it's incredible the way this happens:
-Ulysses' power is manifesting in a way it never has before. They know less about this vision than any of the others.
-Unless they saw something we didn't see, why do they assume Spider-Man killed SteveCap? It doesn't look good, but I didn't see him kill Steve.
-At this point, basically everyone knows that Ulysses' visions are hardly 100% reliable and that acting upon them can lead to tragic circumstances.
-Unlike the Hulk, unlike most characters, Spider-Man wears a full body costume, head to toe. How many times has Peter been impersonated now? There are several characters present who have been impersonated at least once. Shit, at the exact moment this story is taking place, the Jackal is actively churning out clones and plotting against the Spider-Men! Yet every single character present (with the sole exception of Kamala, though ultimately even she steps aside), including Iron Man, seem so convinced it's him that none of them interfere with the arrest.

Also unlike the Hulk, Spider-Man is an active Avenger. Some of the greatest super heroes in the world fight alongside him and would - one would think - readily vouch for him. Yet none of these characters really comes to his aid here in a meaningful way.

Indeed, this vision is so convincing to everyone that time stands still. The fighting just stops. Despite everything he knows and believes about Ulysses, Iron Man actually holds Steve back from approaching Spider-Man?? Despite everything she's experiencing in her own comic, Kamala doesn't immediately smack the words "you're under arrest" out of Carol's mouth? A moment ago, these characters were at each others throats over the validity of these visions, what's so special about this one that nobody is helping Spider-Man?

I'm not saying BMB, or anyone, can't tell this story, but I think he handled it really horribly so far. Maybe at the top of CWII #6 the fighting starts up again and Tony saves Spider-Man from Carol, but even if that's the case it doesn't redeem the end of CWII #5 in which nobody lifted a finger just so BMB could have a big flashy moment where Carol profiles the Black kid.

Hm.

Fair enough.

This book is going to be really good.

I'm looking forward to it.

So...which is worse (I know that CWII isn't quite finished but given what i'm hearing, I doubt it could salvage anything in light of recent events): The one in the first Civil War event, or the one in Civil War II?

Which what is worse? The events themselves?

Anyone know what font they use in the Marvel NOW previews?

Probably whatever they could grab for free from Blambot.

There are still three issues left of CW2 and an epilogue written by Nick Spencer. So far I would say CW2 is better, but that's not exactly a complement lol. The one thing the original has over this is that it happened before a ton of other hero vs hero books and damaged decade long relationships.

I would agree that Civil War II is still the less shitty of the two so far. But I wonder if the Nick Spencer epilogue will take as long to get going as Morning Glories. :3

mreddie

DANGER ZONE TIME

129 Spider-Woman 10 $3.99 Marvel 19,251
130 Squadron Supreme 10 $3.99 Marvel 19,119
136 Thunderbolts 4 $3.99 Marvel 18,128
157 Mockingbird 6 $3.99 Marvel 15,690
158 Agents of Shield 8 $3.99 Marvel 15,519

We know Moon Girl and Hellcat make more on digital and everything else is ending so...

BTW Hyperion near 8900

We know Diamond is is basically the Nielsen ratings and is outdated but like the Nielsens, it's still a testament of comics for no reason.

Sandfox

DANGER ZONE TIME

129 Spider-Woman 10 $3.99 Marvel 19,251
130 Squadron Supreme 10 $3.99 Marvel 19,119
136 Thunderbolts 4 $3.99 Marvel 18,128
157 Mockingbird 6 $3.99 Marvel 15,690
158 Agents of Shield 8 $3.99 Marvel 15,519

We know Moon Girl and Hellcat make more on digital and everything else is ending so...

BTW Hyperion near 8900

We know Diamond is is basically the Nielsen ratings and is outdated but like the Nielsens, it's still a testament of comics for no reason.

The bottom two are already done and I expect the others to get one last volume for Marvel Now.

The writing is probably already on the wall for thunderbolts with Bucky seemingly making a big splash into Black Widow. No idea what they were thinking there. It's funny how difficult they've made putting him in a spy book and write some spy stories.

Orlando is doing the latter with JSA and Supergirl. The Harley team is also doing it if you want to count the Jetsons book.

This book is going to be really good.

Had no idea Orlando was confirmed for JSA, or I had forgotten. Hype.

I'd like to see Tomasi & Manapul handle Shazam, if only for his Black Adam which was superb in Dark Age.

mreddie

The writing is probably already on the wall for thunderbolts with Bucky seemingly making a big splash into Black Widow. No idea what they were thinking there. It's funny how difficult they've made putting him in a spy book and write some spy stories.

Can not believe post Brubaker Bucky is everything the opposite of that.

I know. Hey Latour tried at least there was a brief moment. But even Jason Aaron did his part in some.of the stranger decisions with the character...Kot..thunderbolts. All the while they've had success with a black widow book. Not like his relationship with natasha was the big thing hanging from his own series haha

Ales Kot wrote a book where Bucky lives in space and fights aliens with Daisy Johnson.

This is an actual comic that can be purchased with money. The fuck were they thinking?

I do feel sorry for Jim Zub with Thunderbolts though. He's a cool dude and I hope he writes another series for the Big Two sometime. Or goes back to Pathfinder. That'd be rad.

Sandfox

One of the 3 books is gonna make it to the next Summer event. Likely Spider Woman or the Squadron.

Forgot

143 Scarlet Witch 9 $3.99 Marvel 17,000
Based on what we know it seems like Marvel has plans for Spring after IvX with the House Divided thing and ResurrXion. We might get info at NYCC.

They wanted it to be a companion book to Spencer's Cap books while also being full of 90s nostalgia, but the creative team dropped the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Thunderbolts book by another team unless Bucky ends up joining some other book.

Had no idea Orlando was confirmed for JSA, or I had forgotten. Hype.

I'd like to see Tomasi & Manapul handle Shazam, if only for his Black Adam which was superb in Dark Age.
Quite a few people are guessing Gail Simone for Shazam.
Ales Kot wrote a book where Bucky lives in space and fights aliens with Daisy Johnson.

This is an actual comic that can be purchased with money. The fuck were they thinking?

I do feel sorry for Jim Zub with Thunderbolts though. He's a cool dude and I hope he writes another series for the Big Two sometime. Or goes back to Pathfinder. That'd be rad.
Jim Zub seems like a cool dude, but the only book of his I like is Wayward and I'm even meh on that.

Haha no definitely, nothing against Zub specifically, it's just headbanging stupid in terms of that character. I mean, it's not like they have an extremely successful film franchise that they could follow the lead on with him, if they some how can just not wrap their heads around what made Brubaker 's stuff popular.

Anyway, I think him under Waid on the widow book is a good move, I hope he sticks around as a permanent support. I honestly would like a couple book, the way things ended in Bru's run....I want them to be happy damn it! Haha

They wanted it to be a companion book to Spencer's Cap books while also being full of 90s nostalgia, but the creative team dropped the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Thunderbolts book by another team unless Bucky ends up joining some other book.

I honestly just find that premise ridiculous man, even disregarding the creative team and how they did with it. The winter soldier was literally born of an extremely modern forward thinking book for its time in terms of its tone and look compared to the rest of the line post disassembled (although we were sliding towards civil war, slowly but surely at this time so everything was getting grey). To put Bucky in a 90s rehash, blah. There's no nostalgia for that character in that type of book. For me at least, and I'm a huge Bucky fan, probably my favourite marvel character, alongside OG nick fury. And never mind what they did to him...

The funny thing is, I would normally say, who to give Bucky to, for a good book. Who to give Nick Fury to, for a good book, that actively works at Marvel right now. Aaron! I love Aaron! I think he would get it! He got it alright. And he turned out Original Sin. Proves no writer is perfect, even favourites.

Sandfox

Haha no definitely, nothing against Zub specifically, it's just headbanging stupid in terms of that character. I mean, it's not like they have an extremely successful film franchise that they could follow the lead on with him, if they some how can just not wrap their heads around what made Brubaker 's stuff popular.

Anyway, I think him under Waid on the widow book is a good move, I hope he sticks around as a permanent support. I honestly would like a couple book, the way things ended in Bru's run....I want them to be happy damn it! Haha

I honestly just find that premise ridiculous man, even disregarding the creative team and how they did with it. The winter soldier was literally born of an extremely modern forward thinking book for its time in terms of its tone and look compared to the rest of the line post disassembled (although we were sliding towards civil war, slowly but surely at this time so everything was getting grey). To put Bucky in a 90s rehash, blah. There's no nostalgia for that character in that type of book. For me at least, and I'm a huge Bucky fan, probably my favourite marvel character, alongside OG nick fury. And never mind what they did to him...

The funny thing is, I would normally say, who to give Bucky to, for a good book. Who to give Nick Fury to, for a good book, that actively works at Marvel right now. Aaron! I love Aaron! I think he would get it! He got it alright. And he turned out Original Sin. Proves no writer is perfect, even favourites.
I think the book works conceptually outside of the 90s thing, but that's about it.

Man, there's just something magical about the original Lee Spider-Man run that elevates it way over most of Marvel's first big '60s boom titles.

I'm looking at the art on her tumblr, and am I crazy or are there some definite Bruce Timm / Darwyn Cooke influences at work there?

I was thinking that actually but I wasn't sure if it was just in the faces, I was looking at previews of the infinite loop and couldn't necessarily see much in common layout wise to Cooke but I definitely noted the influence just in how she draws a person. Very nice.

I loved those Parker books man.

I know, but I'm drunk and feeling like Donnie.

We all gotta feel like Donnie sometimes

mreddie

Yeah, Zub got boned. I feel some writers get really lucky with the material they are given...and then you get Living Weapon, Kot Winter Soldier, Hyperion.

I feel Zub would be best on a solo Bucky book in general. Would be better than Foolkiller.

Top Bottom