• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

TheFlow

Banned
Man.... I love Chris Pratt but he did not inspire faith in me to watch this movie.

Also I learned some other things about him that make me wary but I don't want the thread to turn political.

just spoil tag it. I am seeing the movie regardless because my ma loves Denzel

Man.... I love Chris Pratt but he did not inspire faith in me to watch this movie.

Also I learned some other things about him that make me wary but I don't want the thread to turn political.
See it for Denzel and Ethan Hawke. There was a scene with them together that was straight up a "My Nigga" moment from Training Day. It was great to see the two of them together and not being enemies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
CtD6BlkXYAAiFtR.jpg

Love her style. I'll check out Wasp.

Messi

Say what you will about Bendis writing in Civil War 2 but David Marquez is drawing the shit out of it. Just stellar work.

Sandfox

If you guys could "fix" the X-Men what would you do. With this franchise is seems everyone wants completely different things so I'm curious as to what everyone wants and how it differs from others lol.

EDIT: I think a better way to phrase this is "what do you want to happen with the franchise post IvX?"

Say what you will about Bendis writing in Civil War 2 but David Marquez is drawing the shit out of it. Just stellar work.

Yeah, but he seems to be the cause of the delays.

Messi

If you guys could "fix" the X-Men what would you do. With this franchise is seems everyone wants completely different things so I'm curious as to what everyone wants and how it differs from others lol.

EDIT: I think a better way to phrase this is "what do you want to happen with the franchise post IvX?"

Yeah, but he seems to be the cause of the delays.

I'd rather have delays and have him stay on the book instead of fill ins. Also the delays were due to the birth of his child so I think I can cut him some slack.

I fucking love Digimon ugh. So good.

I really enjoyed the first issue of Trinity.

X-Men should have been fixed when Cyclops united all the mutants again at the end of Uncanny X-Men/during Hickman's Time Runs Out. This whole terrigen mist crap being lethal to mutants needs to go. Whoever greenlit that must have a vendetta against the X-Men because lord.....

Oh and the original 5 time displaced X-Men need to go back to their own timeline.

Jubilee also needs her firework powers back.

Ask me again in...five months. ;p

It's hard to jigsaw together suitable talent that isn't already in high demand from the ANAD bench. But there are a lot of promising new writers and artists coming on board with Shattered Now. Let's see how they shake out.

Messi

It's hard to jigsaw together suitable talent that isn't already in high demand from the ANAD bench. But there are a lot of promising new writers and artists coming on board with Shattered Now. Let's see how they shake out.

Coates on X-Men that's what I want. Or Inhumans. I don't mind.

I also want a team of Kitty, Magik, Emma, Cyke, Wolverine, Storm and Beast. Maybe Jubilee. You could swap out one for Rogue.

This is obviously assuming I can't have the team of Magik, Emma, Cookoos, Rogue, Eva and Blink .

Please bring back Eva

The O5 don't need to go back but if they're staying it's time to get rid of the O3. Old Bobby has been boring for about twenty years anyway, Old Hank and old Warren are both pretty busted. Bye bye

VanWinkle

Just finished Batman Vol 8: Superheavy. It was pretty good. EASILY the worst part of Snyder's run so far, though. I thought the Bruce stuff was pretty compelling, but honestly I was not really interested in Jim Gordon's arc (which was like 90% of it). It's basically Snyder putting in good quality writing and Capullo putting in good quality art, but the material they're writing/drawing just isn't that interesting.

ElNarez

Banned
I love Jay's face, being all like "goddamnit Hourman it's been thirty years and you still pull of that shit, god damnit I know we're old friends and shit but I hate you"

Animosity #2: So this wasn't quite as good as the phenomenal first issue. Turns out the logical outcomes of the worldwide change -
the threat of mass starvation since eating any meat is now unethical, and rough interspecies relations
- don't make for terribly compelling dystopian fiction. But I like where things are headed by the end of the issue. I just don't think we really needed to see these events presented chronologically. It feels like we're only just digging into the actual story by that last page, and since this part of the story is disjointed anyway, the important stuff here might have been presented more elegantly as flashbacks. We'll see if their presentation here is justified down the road.

A-Force #9: This tie-in has been preeeeetty terrible. I'm to the point where I'd drop the book but I think the next issue is the last one. A shame to see what was once such a great idea bow on a low note like this. Hopefully Singularity lands somewhere comfy...eventually.

All-New Wolverine #12: This was kind of a weird issue. Laura
comes down hard on Logan, here, and Logan goes hard at Gabby.
Am I just misremembering the last issue or are these dramatic shifts in the way these characters are acting around each other? Ah well, nice that the tie-in is over anyway, a decent tie-in in the end, and I like where things are headed next issue.

All-New X-Men #13: Actually not terrible, though I have pretty low expectations for this series at this point. It's nice to see a few of the kids relax a little, even if the setting and dialogue often feel a little forced. Fuck the
Inhumans who are dicks to the X-kids for no reason. I hope they choke on their dumb cloud in IvX.

Well to do argument
Basically,
had the last page just been the scene of Miles standing over Steve's body and a shocked reaction, that would have been fine. Use the extra pages to flesh out character motivations and the fights (Magik vs. Sam and Star Lord vs. Iron Man angered me in particular) and you have a significantly better issue. Then use the next issue to build on what happened. Set-up issue > Climax issue. As it stands, this issue was still set-up for the next, but far more poorly done than it could have been.
Had no idea Orlando was confirmed for JSA, or I had forgotten. Hype.

I'd like to see Tomasi & Manapul handle Shazam, if only for his Black Adam which was superb in Dark Age.
He was confirmed for JLA, not JSA.
Back to basics. Small, focused cast, given a simple beginning. It's why Morrison and Whedon had such great runs and why most of Bendis' UXM was good. Small teams and building upward. I don't care which X-Men you get, but just a small team of 5-7 and work from there.

Also send the O5 back. They're a novelty that's worn off, and while I enjoy their arcs somewhat, the only thing that's being shown is that they're falling into the same pitfalls that their older selves did.

That's about it. I'm a simple man.
I love Jay's face, being all like "goddamnit Hourman it's been thirty years and you still pull of that shit, god damnit I know we're old friends and shit but I hate you"
I don't think anyone actually likes Hourman. Midnite called him out for being an addict and everyone hated the android version for the gigantic fuck up that was Extant.

Sandfox

Basically,
had the last page just been the scene of Miles standing over Steve's body and a shocked reaction, that would have been fine. Use the extra pages to flesh out character motivations and the fights (Magik vs. Sam and Star Lord vs. Iron Man angered me in particular) and you have a significantly better issue. Then use the next issue to build on what happened. Set-up issue > Climax issue. As it stands, this issue was still set-up for the next, but far more poorly done than it could have been.

He was confirmed for JLA, not JSA.

Back to basics. Small, focused cast, given a simple beginning. It's why Morrison and Whedon had such great runs and why most of Bendis' UXM was good. Small teams and building upward. I don't care which X-Men you get, but just a small team of 5-7 and work from there.

Also send the O5 back. They're a novelty that's worn off, and while I enjoy their arcs somewhat, the only thing that's being shown is that they're falling into the same pitfalls that their older selves did.

That's about it. I'm a simple man.

I don't think anyone actually likes Hourman. Midnite called him out for being an addict and everyone hated the android version for the gigantic fuck up that was Extant.

Whoops. I got them mixed up somehow lol.

To me it seems the X-teams we have now fit that description since it seems the writers just picked a handful of characters they wanted to use, but Extraordinary and Uncanny have to focus on the Terrigen Mist.

make it cool again

Team Nighthawk is less busy than they were a few months ago

ElNarez

Banned

I want the X-Men books to lean into the whole political angle. Engaging with the Marvel Universe, but also, and more importantly, the world at large. There is so much you could be doing with the X-Men right now, so much you could use them to say in those fucked-up times of ours, that every X-Men book that retreats up its own past and its own little world feels like a wasted opportunity. (and that's ALL OF THEM RIGHT NOW)

IvX is gonna be good to address the elephant in the room, but its endgame cannot be the further isolation of the X-Men, because that's the least interesting and least relevant aspect of X-Men stories.

Hagi

Bought Omega Men seeing it's ridiculously cheap on Comixology and I needed sonething to read for a long bus journey, holy shit it's so good. Only up to issue four or five but man what a ride so far. I'd take King on a cosmic book over Batman any day. The princess and Tigor are my favourite characters so far, Kyle is written extremely well.

We will not hurt you. We are your friends.

Top Bottom