• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Holy shit, member status. Now I need a tag. lol

Congrats ma....

"Don't be a Donnie. Buy the issues." lol

....n. Oh @%^$^$ you.

We try not to sexualize Wasp.

Is the messi verdict still out on what age this new Wasp is or something?

Just finished Batman Vol 8: Superheavy. It was pretty good. EASILY the worst part of Snyder's run so far, though. I thought the Bruce stuff was pretty compelling, but honestly I was not really interested in Jim Gordon's arc (which was like 90% of it). It's basically Snyder putting in good quality writing and Capullo putting in good quality art, but the material they're writing/drawing just isn't that interesting.

Haha this is interesting because I reaaally liked Superheavy. I was maybe even my favourite thing about Snyder's run since the Owl saga. I am a huge Snyder mark, I love all his independent stuff, but as far as Batman goes. I've enjoyed it all for sure, but honestly I think the pattern I've found with my enjoyment is when he's adding new toys to the box to push against what Batman is. His big epics centered on a well known villain like the Joker stuff or Zero Year, it's great fun, don't get me wrong, but I think it gets a bit wrapped up with itself. When he's creating something of his own in his own corner, it feels more honest. I don't know. I wouldn't rate Superheavy above the owls or the black mirror or anything, but I'd probably put it in above zero year, obviously pending how it all shakes out. Personal preference aside, I jsut think he does a really good job of getting inside a character's head and finding their core and then bending it a bit to see how flexible it is. I'm not necessarily interested in Gordon as Batman permanently but I think as a storyline it was a great idea. Totally respect your opinion though man and interesting to know you thought otherwise haha!

Bought Omega Men seeing it's ridiculously cheap on Comixology and I needed sonething to read for a long bus journey, holy shit it's so good. Only up to issue four or five but man what a ride so far. I'd take King on a cosmic book over Batman any day. The princess and Tigor are my favourite characters so far, Kyle is written extremely well.

We will not hurt you. We are your friends.

hahah so good right? I love everything thats going no in the book. Lots of neat use of symbolism in the art, repetition of language on different contexts and so on. Really exciting stuff! Is Bagenda specifically with DC or is he out there doing other stuff?

Hagi

hahah so good right? I love everything thats going no in the book. Lots of neat use of symbolism in the art, repetition of language on different contexts and so on. Really exciting stuff! Is Bagenda specifically with DC or is he out there doing other stuff?

Yeah it's great so far I love the simple 9 panel layout used throughout so far, it's restrained and they use it very well. I'm going to have to re read it when I get a larger tablet because the art is amazing.

If you guys could "fix" the X-Men what would you do. With this franchise is seems everyone wants completely different things so I'm curious as to what everyone wants and how it differs from others lol.

EDIT: I think a better way to phrase this is "what do you want to happen with the franchise post IvX?"
I want them to do an mutant version of Gotham Academy. Light-hearted, great art, whole new cast of characters, with continuity references but very little involvement in the rest of the MU.

Also, I don't want them to get rid of the O5 because they are (mostly) the only X-men I like anymore :p

Bought Omega Men seeing it's ridiculously cheap on Comixology and I needed sonething to read for a long bus journey, holy shit it's so good. Only up to issue four or five but man what a ride so far. I'd take King on a cosmic book over Batman any day. The princess and Tigor are my favourite characters so far, Kyle is written extremely well.

We will not hurt you. We are your friends.

Is it ridiculously cheap? It looks like it costs more than Amazon's physical copy.

I want them to do an mutant version of Gotham Academy. Light-hearted, great art, whole new cast of characters, with continuity references but very little involvement in the rest of the MU.

Also, I don't want them to get rid of the O5 because they are (mostly) the only X-men I like anymore :p

This is a pretty great idea, gotham academy is fantastic and a good fit for the xmen, although the whole potteresque secrets within secrets of the school match batman so perfectly, and that's a big part of the enjoyment for me.

Messi

Congrats ma....

....n. Oh @%^$^$ you.

Is the messi verdict still out on what age this new Wasp is or something?

Haha this is interesting because I reaaally liked Superheavy. I was maybe even my favourite thing about Snyder's run since the Owl saga. I am a huge Snyder mark, I love all his independent stuff, but as far as Batman goes. I've enjoyed it all for sure, but honestly I think the pattern I've found with my enjoyment is when he's adding new toys to the box to push against what Batman is. His big epics centered on a well known villain like the Joker stuff or Zero Year, it's great fun, don't get me wrong, but I think it gets a bit wrapped up with itself. When he's creating something of his own in his own corner, it feels more honest. I don't know. I wouldn't rate Superheavy above the owls or the black mirror or anything, but I'd probably put it in above zero year, obviously pending how it all shakes out. Personal preference aside, I jsut think he does a really good job of getting inside a character's head and finding their core and then bending it a bit to see how flexible it is. I'm not necessarily interested in Gordon as Batman permanently but I think as a storyline it was a great idea. Totally respect your opinion though man and interesting to know you thought otherwise haha!

She's pretty obviously a teenager

Mutant books:

Give Ewing a New Mutants book where Dani leads the team and Bobby provides them a place to stay along with some money.

Rogue 12 issue solo.

Mystique solo taking place mostly in the past when she met Destiny. Retconning of Nightcrawler's birth allowed with the excuse of Secret Wars.

Excalibur(also maybe by Ewing). Faiza, Rachel, Kitty(who should really come out as bi at this point) and others allowed.

Stop with the doom and let them grow. If it takes Phoenix showing up and retconning everything after Morrison left to be slightly different and lighter, so be it.

TheFlow

Banned
mutants need a break from comics. and all the writers on mutants except jeff and Tom Taylor should be fired asap. like pack your shit and go work at subway

Messi

Troy was the best. Love Donald Glover.

giphy.gif

Hagi

That's pretty alright, I think the physical trade ran me £15.80, something to that effect.

That's cool if it was released as a hardcover I probably should would have copped it but I'm running out of space as it is. I think I've come to terms with going full digital, all I need to do is finish Deadly Class, Low, Saga, Black Science for Image and keep buying the Hellboy Library collections and I'm set for physical.

Even though we won 4-1 I think reading Omega Men on the bus down was more exciting...

I started Y: The Last Man pretty recently and just finished with volume 6. After 6 volumes of Saga, a volume of Paper Girls, and now this, I can safely say I like Brian K Vaughn's stuff quite a bit. They're all so much fun.

I started Y: The Last Man pretty recently and just finished with volume 6. After 6 volumes of Saga, a volume of Paper Girls, and now this, I can safely say I like Brian K Vaughn's stuff quite a bit. They're all so much fun.

Definitely. I keep reading the first few issue so Y with the intention of rereading it all then I buy actual new comics and forget but it's really good fun. I kind of am surprised that hasn't mad either to tv or anything yet, super prime candidate. He's a great writer though. He even contributed to my favourite season of lost. Good times.

ComicsAlliance: Nine Characters Who Need To Come Out As Bi For #BiVisibilityDay

Think I'm making a thread about this later.

meh

I like Jimmy where he was in All-Star Superman, cross dressing for jobs, not giving a fuck. I don't think most of these changes would do much for the characters.

The only I think shouldn't happen is a bi wonder woman, that comes off more male fantasy to me than woman or gender empowerment, especially since many of DC's other popular female characters are already Bi.

Picked up DQVII at my gaming store.
giphy.gif

Yaaaay, I'm loving it man. The scenarios are really fun. I didn't realise quite how big an overhaul the game was compared to the original either since we never got it back on the day. I saw a comparison video and wow. It's great though. First time for you too?

Yaaaay, I'm loving it man. The scenarios are really fun. I didn't realise quite how big an overhaul the game was compared to the original either since we never got it back on the day. I saw a comparison video and wow. It's great though. First time for you too?

First time with VII. Played VI last summer.

ElNarez

Banned
The only I think shouldn't happen is a bi wonder woman, that comes off more male fantasy to me than woman or gender empowerment, especially since many of DC's other popular female characters are already Bi.

Sexuality is a super wide spectrum of singular, personal experiences informed by one's experience. That said, elements in Wonder Woman's backstory and the history of her attitudes to attraction in published comics point to the interpretation that Wonder Woman is bisexual. That's my argument for it.

PS: There's nothing inherently sexual to being bisexual, and I speak here from sad, personal experience. Saying Wonder Woman is bi is more about acknowledging both the character's history and the fact that bisexual people exist, read comic books, and like to see themselves represented in comic books. Considering how few characters in Big Two comics are stated to be bi, one more, and one with as big a profile as Wonder Woman, would be pretty nice.

First time with VII. Played VI last summer.

Brilliant, I'd love to do 4-6 at some point, I've played 8 and 9 myself. Give me a holler if you end up having any questions :) also the info menu is suuuuper useful. All the towns and villages are so charming though, npcs have lots of fun things to say. The music is great too.

Boogiepop

Brilliant, I'd love to do 4-6 at some point, I've played 8 and 9 myself. Give me a holler if you end up having any questions :) also the info menu is suuuuper useful. All the towns and villages are so charming though, npcs have lots of fun things to say. The music is great too.

Definitely do that, as they're great. (I say as I actually still need to play 1-3, and 7-8 (though those are definitely getting tackled through the 3DS remakes).

Also, man, I really want to start VII. Like, I've got it sitting here after waiting for years for it to come over... but I'm so far behind on gaming that realistically, I need to finish off the last bit of Ace Attorney 6 first, and then go back and dive properly into #FE, even if we're just talking stuff I've actively started. But I'll get to it, definitely. (I actually bought a Japanese 3DS a while back primarily for all the DQ stuff that wasn't coming over, but hadn't picked this up because I kept telling myself I needed to free up time to play it before buying it, on the off chance it got picked up... which did indeed work out in my favor. But yeah, that was before the new 3DS was announced, so this has certainly been a long time coming...)

Haha I will, the ds releases aren't the best price here to get hold of new now is the only thing but I'll find a way. Dragon Quest 8 is really really fun. I'm not sure what they've changed with the 3ds port but you'll love it.

Haha, well, definitely make some room in your life for #fe at some point, I liked it a lot. That said, for how much it gets right with its aesthetics, it's entire tone and look and feel and the battles. But the individual scenarios can fall a little flat, and the scenarios in DQVII so far have been awesome. I just finished
alltrades abbey
and wow haha. So you could always do that first ;) both are fun though. I love the kind of false facebook thing on the gamepad in #fe

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My god, just read that Secret Wars, too Paperback with those satire issues in the vain of Strange Tales that pokes fun at Marvel, their books and their company policies.
These are really the best books Marvel is putting out.

Whoops. I got them mixed up somehow lol.

To me it seems the X-teams we have now fit that description since it seems the writers just picked a handful of characters they wanted to use, but Extraordinary and Uncanny have to focus on the Terrigen Mist.
Not really. Uncanny has way too much baggage and Extraordinary is way too big.
ComicsAlliance: Nine Characters Who Need To Come Out As Bi For #BiVisibilityDay

Think I'm making a thread about this later.
Tim and Jimmy are dumb. The rest I agree with because there's actually a basis for them, but the article's back up for Tim and Jimmy is "the fans want it plus Milennial" and "because why not" (respectively).

Not really. Uncanny has way too much baggage and Extraordinary is way too big.

Tim and Jimmy are dumb. The rest I agree with because there's actually a basis for them, but the article's back up for Tim and Jimmy is "the fans want it plus Milennial" and "because why not" (respectively).

No clue why they didn't go with Jason.

Top Bottom