• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Dalek

Oh God dammnit. I thought Morning Glories was wrapped up and I binge read from 1-50. Now it ends in a cliffhanger and there's no word on when the series will resume...

Fuck!

Oh God dammnit. I thought Morning Glories was wrapped up and I binge read from 1-50. Now it ends in a cliffhanger and there's no word on when the series will resume...

Fuck!

I don't think that one is ever coming back

Hahah if it does, the plan is to go to #100. So if it takes a year off, and finishes the run, you were only 5 years off :)

She isn't even gonna be in class for it!!!

Well what she didn't mention is you'll be watching it, but it'll actually be a stage play of it, and she will be acting out every role.

Yea, think about that.

Dalek

We're interfacing

tumblr_nuy1ppNn4Q1s9c6nao1_500.gif

Mindwipe

Oh damn, Comixology has a What If? sale. The idea of those has always kind of intrigued me, so... how bad of an idea would it be to pull the trigger on all that old stuff? And would I be right or wrong for writing off the newer stuff because it all seems to be event focused.]

Also, there's a sale on Tarot, which I believe is the infamous one with the haunted vagina, so... that's a thing.

You'd be right to avoid the newer event stuff. It's such a shame that most of the 90s god tier run is still not available digitally.

I just figured that ripping someone's heart out was a bit extreme, but I guess when you put it that way...

I'm still allowed to be curious as to the vision Virginia saw, right?
Disabling gifs and adding everyone with an anime avatar to my ignore list has made Comics GAF a better place. It's literally me and that other dude talking to each other.
RIP
giphy.gif

Tomasi still bringing the magic. It's a shame Action Comics is so dire.
Action Comics completely failed to deliver on something I was really excited for and dragged a three (tops) issue story into five.
Wait. That's it for the Clock King story in Green Arrow?
I'm going to assume he'll be back and that was a mere "introduction" story, as it were. It did end on a bit of an anticlimactic note.
What was the most surprisingly good Rebirth comic to you guys? I would probably say Green Arrow, since there was VERY little reason to be hyped for it before it came out. Percy had just been on Green Arrow in fact, and most people seemed to not like it at all.
Surprisingly good? Green Arrow. Everyone seemed shaky of the writer and I wasn't expecting much. Some rave reviews later and that book is one of my damn favorites.

Most surprisingly disappointing though? Action Comics by a full light-year.
Hank is definitely going to die in this event, right?

I'm just speculating but...come on. It's time.
Trial of Hank McCoy is upon us. His comeuppance is nigh.

I just figured that ripping someone's heart out was a bit extreme, but I guess when you put it that way...

I'm still allowed to be curious as to the vision Virginia saw, right?

Ha ha ha. Sorry. Your post was a convenient excuse to launch my many musings about Virginia.

Also I wanted to destroy something beautiful.

(I'm just glad somebody read that tbf. I've been sitting here all day thinking BK at least will read that. Dude has no choice)

edit: I saw that before the edit mister. I've got my bricks and mortar right here pal

Okay this Emma Frost solo caught me off guard.
Ha ha ha. Sorry. Your post was a convenient excuse to launch my many musings about Virginia.

Also I wanted to destroy something beautiful.

(I'm just glad somebody read that tbf. I've been sitting here all day thinking BK at least will read that. Dude has no choice)

edit: I saw that before the edit mister. I've got my bricks and mortar right here pal
DAMN. I THOUGHT I WAS SWIFTER. Nah it's cool. Good to read a good breakdown. I just...wasn't expecting it...like if you walked outside after waking up and someone hit you with a wrench as a response. Who expects it.

I read a shit ton over the weekend, but I feel like I remember nothing. Let's try to piece together what I read...

Kill or be Killed 1&2

The book that I probably remember the most. I'm not sure if I'm in this for long but so far I am ok with the premise. Seems like an angsty fuck the world Fight Club mixed with Death Note. The premise or the 'kill everyone' angst can ware thin pretty fast though so it all depends on where it goes from here. I also feel like the whole "Oh, crap I went too far ahead again." thing Is setting up for some big twist later on to just be past off as "I didn't mention that before did I? Shit."

Civil War II 5

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

All-New Wolverine

This was kind of a bleh issue. At least Laura pointed out how I feel about this entire event as a whole though.

Eclipse 1

I thought this was a pretty boring first issue. I think I may give it one more but didn't really care for it. It felt like old school Vertigo in a way, but almost too much that it made it just boring.

ASM

I looked forward to something happening with Ock for what feels like forever, but honestly I found this issue pretty boring. At least it wasn't a CW tie-in? It's got that going for it.

I caught up on a few more Marvel books, but they aren't sticking out to me at the moment.

I read a shit ton over the weekend, but I feel like I remember nothing. Let's try to piece together what I read...

Kill or be Killed 1&2

The book that I probably remember the most. I'm not sure if I'm in this for long but so far I am ok with the premise. Seems like an angsty fuck the world Fight Club mixed with Death Note. The premise or the 'kill everyone' angst can ware thin pretty fast though so it all depends on where it goes from here. I also feel like the whole "Oh, crap I went too far ahead again." thing Is setting up for some big twist later on to just be past off as "I didn't mention that before did I? Shit."

Well similar to Fatale being deconstruction of the femme Fatale role in pulp fiction and tropes that percolate in those kind of tales, I believe kill or be killed is the same for vigilantes/punisher types so I'd stick with it for the consequences, I bet Bru will follow through. That said while he nails it 90% of the time, Bru can have the odd duff book so who knows. Pretty psyched to check it out whe it hits trade though.

Wait what? What solo?

Believe it's a good ten years old or so now, I remember the covers. I think it's young emma in training or something?

Well similar to Fatale being deconstruction of the female Fatale role in pulp fiction and tropes that percolate in those kind of tales, I believe kill or be killed is the same for vigilantes/punisher types so I'd stick with it for the consequences, I bet Bru will follow through. That said while he nails it 90% of the time, Bru can have the odd duff book so who knows. Pretty psyched to check it out whe it hits trade though.

Yeah, I can see it go either way. I'm in to it now to see where it goes, but it seems like it could become tedious fast. I hope it ends up being handled well though.

Yeah, I can see it go either way. I'm in to it now to see where it goes, but it seems like it could become tedious fast. I hope it ends up being handled well though.

Well keep us up to date next.month man, interested to hear your thoughts on it in a general manner, since I've got that one earmarked. Do you read Velvet?

Well keep us up to date next.month man, interested to hear your thoughts on it in a general manner, since I've got that one earmarked. Do you read Velvet?

No, my non-hero reading has been pretty lacking since I got back into reading Marvel and DC in the last year or so. I used to only read the non-hero stuff in trade but that eventually lead to catching up on the hero stuff and since I've been following that weekly everything else has dropped off exponentially. They're just kind of harder for me to remember in a weird way. I either forget the books altogether or forget what happened in them the last time I read, then I feel like I need to re-read everything to continue and it never happens. Like right now I have two issues of Wick+Div and an issue of Black Science to read but it's oddly hard to push myself to actually read them. At least with Black Science it's more of a losing interest thing than not remembering.

No, my non-hero reading has been pretty lacking since I got back into reading Marvel and DC in the last year or so. I used to only read the non-hero stuff in trade but that eventually lead to catching up on the hero stuff and since I've been following that weekly everything else has dropped off exponentially. They're just kind of harder for me to remember in a weird way. I either forget the books altogether or forget what happened in them the last time I read, then I feel like I need to re-read everything to continue and it never happens. Like right now I have two issues of Wick+Div and an issue of Black Science to read but it's oddly hard to push myself to actually read them. At least with Black Science it's more of a losing interest thing than not remembering.

Haha interesting, I honestly find it the very opposite. Bar a high few I find most marvel/dc books, more so marvel lately to be utterly disposable and forgettable. Most of my independent stuff feels like the real shit, the stuff I actually look forward to and engage in.

Although, and this is just my opinion, I'd say the two examples you gave ar e more indicative of those books quality than anything else. If I need to drop a book it'll probably be Black Science, and I didn't make it beyond the first trade of wicked and divine. I'd just put those down as less interesting books.

To each their own though right, and admittedly none of rebirth has hit trade yet so I can't even judge there. If that's what you're digging right now power to you.

Mostly digital for the system

Lol I own not one physical game for the vita, think I only ever had the game that came with it as a physical and that's that. Not something I do with any other system but on vita digital seems the way.

Haha interesting, I honestly find it the very opposite. Bar a high few I find most marvel/dc books, more so marvel lately to be utterly disposable and forgettable. Most of my independent stuff feels like the real shit, the stuff I actually look forward to and engage in.

Although, and this is just my opinion, I'd say the two examples you gave ar e more indicative of those books quality than anything else. If I need to drop a book it'll probably be Black Science, and I didn't make it beyond the first trade of wicked and divine. I'd just put those down as less interesting books.

To each their own though right, and admittedly none of rebirth has hit trade yet so I can't even judge there. If that's what you're digging right now power to you.

I would completely agree with most of the independent stuff being more engaging and great, it's just harder for me to keep engaged personally. Either my interests change or I put less time into comics, or any number of other things always seems to get in the way. Hero comics are always easy to just jump in and read, everything else I actually have to be invested in in some way or else it all falls flat for me. It all could change with one random trip to the LCS and picking up a bunch of random trades, but it just depends on that mood hitting me.

I would completely agree with most of the independent stuff being more engaging and great, it's just harder for me to keep engaged personally. Either my interests change or I put less time into comics, or any number of other things always seems to get in the way. Hero comics are always easy to just jump in and read, everything else I actually have to be invested in in some way or else it all falls flat for me. It all could change with one random trip to the LCS and picking up a bunch of random trades, but it just depends on that mood hitting me.

For sure man, don't get me wrong, I've been back and forth throughout the years. One thing i'll say, and this could be purely personal, but I will say that it's a lot more fun in here if you're into cape books, and I think that becomes a circle where enthusiasm for the discussion in here and then the books compell each other a bit. It might just be the newer crop of posters, or coming back to the board during the height of Rebirth & Civil War 2, but the conversation in here compared to a few years ago seems much more cape/big two driven, and I've certainly found myself keeping up with the jones to an extent. Reading reviews and articles on happening in the current books so I get the jist of the conversation in here and can contribute a little more with whats popular, and in turn I think that's made me a bit more enthusiastic in general for the cape books, it feeds back. I'm not as in on them as you are right now, and I'm not even saying it's got me to go buy bad books, it got me to go grab Vision where I might not have, or some other stuff. This is kind of a springboard off into another matter but it's something I consider and feels kind of related, in my own mind anyway.

The Hitler cameo in Sledgehammer - The Lightning War was unexpected.

Haha. They usually use Rasputin as their nazi figurehead but it was a nice touch. I really like that little series, sledgehammer is cool. Have you read the other stuff he's in yet?

That may have been the first Lawrence campbell thing too before he starting doing bprd stuff, I'm not sure. Dude is a beast.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Haha. They usually use Rasputin as their nazi figurehead but it was a nice touch. I really like that little series, sledgehammer is cool. Have you read the other stuff he's in yet?

That may have been the first Lawrence campbell thing too before he starting doing bprd stuff, I'm not sure. Dude is a beast.
Not yet. Reading BPRD 1946 now. Just going off that reading order from multiversity

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ANGR 1-5 were OK.

I picked up Trail of Tears & Road to Redemption. Might pick up Aaron's GR run as well and just go full flaming skull head through October.

Not yet. Reading BPRD 1946 now. Just going off that reading order from multiversity

That reading order confuses me haha. It is chronological or by published order? I would have thought the iron prometheus would have cropped up before sledgehammer regardless? This is why I usually look at that thing and tell people not to bother ha.

Boogiepop

That reading order confuses me haha. It is chronological or by published order? I would have thought the iron prometheus would have cropped up before sledgehammer regardless? This is why I usually look at that thing and tell people not to bother ha.

Oh, that's the one I used, I think. If that indeed doesn't follow published order (it's definitely not chronological), I believe the purpose is to keep the chunks together as much as possible to keep reading easy while also making sure the big things that are cross-referenced come in the right order. It makes for quite a nice experience and keeps things from getting too complex, like requiring you to switch off series every single trade.

Oh, that's the one I used, I think. If that indeed doesn't follow published order (it's definitely not chronological), I believe the purpose is to keep the chunks together as much as possible to keep reading easy while also making sure the big things that are cross-referenced come in the right order. It makes for quite a nice experience and keeps things from getting too complex, like requiring you to switch off series every single trade.

Maybe it's not the one I've seen then ,the one I saw looked way over complicated. All you really need to do is HB 1-6, all of Plague of frogs, a few of the smaller minis if you want, then just hell on earth and the rest of hellboy to the end of in hell at your leisure, mixing in Abe when that kicks off. Finish off the other minis at the end if it pleases you. I think I'm just going to order my trades on my shelf like this at some point and just take a picture of it and then just regurgitate it as and when needed haha.

Top Bottom