• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but the most recent episode of 11 O'Clock comics has a fantastic interview with Jeff Lemire. Really excited about A.D. now, sounds like it's gonna be interesting.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/11-oclock-comics-podcast

Cheers for that, will listen to it for sure later. I was sold on the word go just from Snyder/Lemire collaboration, knowing how friendly they are and how they ran over a lot of stuff together during their Swamp Thing/Animal Man run, but happy to hear what the man himself thinks.

Malyse

Not sure what to make of this one. The way he was written in JJ, he came across as a really decent support character, but I'm not sure about the actor's capacity to lead. I'll watch it for sure, but it's probably the one I'm least confident in.

They are putting a ton of effort into this. It's the one I'm least concerned about.

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior ending at #14

Probably not a lot of people here reading that one, but it was a great book. Looks like it's running the length that Venditti intended, not ending early. Curious to see where Venditti goes from here, as this takes him off of Valiant's slate completely. Maybe another DC book in the wings?
I'm guessing he will be in charge of whatever the first Lantern event/crossover ends up being.

They are putting a ton of effort into this. It's the one I'm least concerned about.

Nice to hear. I literally follow nothing about production, interviews etc., I literally just watch them when they come up on netflix and that's that, so ~I can only really judge based on what I've seen and not any promises/things floating around on the net. That's cool though, I will watch it regardless, there's no chance I'll skip out.

Malyse

Nice to hear. I literally follow nothing about production, interviews etc., I literally just watch them when they come up on netflix and that's that, so ~I can only really judge based on what I've seen and not any promises/things floating around on the net. That's cool though, I will watch it regardless, there's no chance I'll skip out.

Watch the Street Level Hero Music trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVmcur3INOE

-----

Summer Glau as X-23 would perfect casting.

Owzers

I didn't post all weekend and you guys resorted to talking about comics. I need to watch Clash of Champions but the Trump Debate is tonight and i can only watch one terrible thing at a time. I did reread Black Panther #1 to get ready for more issues and i read Bendis-Man #7 which was okayyyyyy but i don't really care about inserting Mary Jane into the book. Pepper is gone so let's just get someone else.

Believe it's a good ten years old or so now, I remember the covers. I think it's young emma in training or something?
It's when she was a teenager and her powers were developing.
Ooooh that one. Thought Marvel released a new Emma solo book for a second lol.
Nah. Found out that the old solo series was collected in an Ultimate Collection and that was still in print.so I bought it and it's fucking weird. Like Empire, but with rich white people and no music. Just a lot of fuckery and melodrama.

ANAD Avengers 14: Ha ha ha ha there is a Civil War on, heroes are dead, and
NOBODY called Janet. How do they have the whole trial of Hawkeye and Janet and Jarvis are both in the dark for the entire thing.
Pretty silly imho, makes no sense. I am digging nuWasp, who is apparently
a mad scientist
which is great but she's badly written here. This was a nothing issue in which nothing really happened and nothing that did made any sense.

All-Star Batman 2: Wow, so good! Huge improvement over the first issue, though fair warning to those who dropped immediately, it still doesn't really address the problems many people had with the first issue. Almost the entire issue is dedicated to one huge fight with multiple Batman villains, both well known and obscure. Snyder writes such an unbelievably good Batfight, ESPECIALLY with a ton of characters, it's ridiculous. The setting makes for one hell of a tense, gripping battle, and I'm dying to know what the hell is going on in those flash forwards. Terrific issue. I'm digging the art, too. Backup was decent. 4 out of 5 batarangs.

Alters 1: This is a hugely ambitious book in one aspect and a very safe, bland book in another. In one issue I'm already completely wrapped up in Charlie's story - he's* they're transgender, he's they've just starting hormone therapy, he they have a great family and he's they're terrified of what's going to happen when he they tell them. I've never read any stories about this particular experience and I can't wait to see what happens here.

The capes aspect is typical bla-bla-bla "then one day there were super heroes" standard stuff you get in 95% of indie books about super heroes. Who cares. The twist is, when Charlie becomes an "Alter," as they are called (presumably because we are running out of words to describe super heroes), he they swap genders (this change is unique to Charlie so far). This is a cool way to express a sort of wish fulfillment that most of us are unfamiliar with the specifics of, but who hasn't fantasized about superpowers allowing us to transform into our "true selves?" In that sense I think it's a very relatable story for any comic reader. So that's cool. Too bad the only superpowered characters we see in this issue are bland and boring. It isn't totally clear what Charlie (alter ego
Chalice
) can actually do, and the villain established here might as well have a pointy mustache he can twirl. He belongs in Batman '66. Hopefully the capes stuff improves because everything else is great. I'm on board.

*what's the correct pronoun use for a male-to-female transgender fictional character who has just started transitioning and hasn't told anyone in the story, but you as the audience know the character's gender identity? I have no idea, I did my best

Know what would have been a weirder and more interesting twist to have at the end of CWII?
Mass vision of Ulysses in the position of Miles and Stark in the position of Cap. Then the whole event is fucked in every way possible.

Malyse

NOBODY called Janet. How do they have the whole trial of Hawkeye and Janet and Jarvis are both in the dark for the entire thing.
a mad scientist
which is great but she's badly written here. This was a nothing issue in which nothing really happened and nothing that did made any sense.

All-Star Batman 2: Wow, so good! Huge improvement over the first issue, though fair warning to those who dropped immediately, it still doesn't really address the problems many people had with the first issue. Almost the entire issue is dedicated to one huge fight with multiple Batman villains, both well known and obscure. Snyder writes such an unbelievably good Batfight, ESPECIALLY with a ton of characters, it's ridiculous. The setting makes for one hell of a tense, gripping battle, and I'm dying to know what the hell is going on in those flash forwards. Terrific issue. I'm digging the art, too. Backup was decent. 4 out of 5 batarangs.

Alters 1: This is a hugely ambitious book in one aspect and a very safe, bland book in another. In one issue I'm already completely wrapped up in Charlie's story - he's* transgender, he's just starting hormone therapy, he has a great family and he's terrified of what's going to happen when he tells them. I've never read any stories about this particular experience and I can't wait to see what happens here.

The capes aspect is typical bla-bla-bla "then one day there were super heroes" standard stuff you get in 95% of indie books about super heroes. Who cares. The twist is, when Charlie becomes an "Alter," as they are called (presumably because we are running out of words to describe super heroes), he swaps genders. This is a cool way to express a sort of wish fulfillment that most of us are unfamiliar with the specifics of, but who hasn't fantasized about superpowers allowing us to transform into our "true selves?" In that sense I think it's a very relatable story for any comic reader. So that's cool. Too bad the only superpowered characters we see in this issue are bland and boring. It isn't totally clear what Charlie (alter ego
Chalice
) can actually do, and the villain established here might as well have a pointy mustache he can twirl. He belongs in Batman '66. Hopefully the capes stuff improves because everything else is great. I'm on board.

*what's the correct pronoun use for a male-to-female transgender fictional character who has just started transitioning and hasn't told anyone in the story, but you as the audience know the character's gender identity? I have no idea, I did my best

What do they present as in public? Also: they.

STOP EVERYTHING:
n09cArW.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQLYSBM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Fuck Funko POP. THIS, is what I need.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Ha ha ha. Sorry. Your post was a convenient excuse to launch my many musings about Virginia.

Also I wanted to destroy something beautiful.

(I'm just glad somebody read that tbf. I've been sitting here all day thinking BK at least will read that. Dude has no choice)

edit: I saw that before the edit mister. I've got my bricks and mortar right here pal

I read it, I love a long detailed analysis post about a book that I like.

Male. And thanks.

edit: Unless they're a super hero! Then female. So yeah. Not sure. "They" does seem safe even if it screws with some sentences.

You're probably safe with They. Or you could do it with Drag Queen rules and it's he when they're not in costume and she when they are.

CMX is doing something a little screwy - when I finish and close books it isn't marking them as read. Leaves them marked with one page remaining unless I hit "Mark as Read." It's a minor thing but it's annoying. Anyone else experiencing this? On Android.

I read it, I love a long detailed analysis post about a book that I like.

I'm glad!

a mad scientist

Alters 1: This is a hugely ambitious book in one aspect and a very safe, bland book in another. In one issue I'm already completely wrapped up in Charlie's story - he's* they're transgender, he's they've just starting hormone therapy, he they have a great family and he's they're terrified of what's going to happen when he they tell them. I've never read any stories about this particular experience and I can't wait to see what happens here.

The capes aspect is typical bla-bla-bla "then one day there were super heroes" standard stuff you get in 95% of indie books about super heroes. Who cares. The twist is, when Charlie becomes an "Alter," as they are called (presumably because we are running out of words to describe super heroes), he they swap genders (this change is unique to Charlie so far). This is a cool way to express a sort of wish fulfillment that most of us are unfamiliar with the specifics of, but who hasn't fantasized about superpowers allowing us to transform into our "true selves?" In that sense I think it's a very relatable story for any comic reader. So that's cool. Too bad the only superpowered characters we see in this issue are bland and boring. It isn't totally clear what Charlie (alter ego
Chalice

You should read the Comicosity review.

I didn't post all weekend and you guys resorted to talking about comics. I need to watch Clash of Champions but the Trump Debate is tonight and i can only watch one terrible thing at a time.

I'm sure the debate will be more entertaining and violent than Clash of Champions.

Sandfox

a mad scientist

Chalice

Right now it seems like ANAD Avengers is focusing on setting up Marvel Now books.

I wanted you to go to that dance, Emma.
Know what would have been a weirder and more interesting twist to have at the end of CWII?
Mass vision of Ulysses in the position of Miles and Stark in the position of Cap. Then the whole event is fucked in every way possible.

Ulysses is playing them all anyways. WHERE DID THE CELESTIAL COME FROM? ULYSSES IS A PAWN BEING USED BY A HIGHER COSMIC BEING.

IT'S KANG. IT'S FUCKING KANG. CALLING IT.

Whew, that was a long read! But thanks for sharing that. It's certainly an interesting perspective. I had no idea
Chalice was a metaphor for a vagina.
I did read several other reviews to see what the general consensus is on the book and found most reviews to be much more positive (though Multiversity was similarly disappointed)...and nobody else seems to know that either, so...Jenkins gets major side eye for that but ultimately I don't think it's quite as significant as the Comicosity writer suggests if it isn't clearly communicated. Perhaps it will be in the future which would certainly be awful.

I disagree with the author in one other respect: I think it's obvious
Chalice has shapeshifting abilities.
If she doesn't, that's awful. We'll see how that pans out.

One of the reviews I read was written by a queer man, and for him just the representation of a character forced to live a dual life because of their gender identity was hugely significant. That's something I felt too, as a bisexual married dude. I know a lot of LGBTQ activists are encouraging bi people to come out but I'm not there yet. It's pretty much just my wife and my therapist. For most of my life nobody wanted to know that you were bi; it's always been pretty normal to keep it to yourself. So perhaps I - and the author of that review - over-identified with a character who is forced to lead a dual life because of her gender (though it does seem she is closeted about her sexuality as well). But I would be surprised if this was not a normal part of the transgender experience, to at some point in your life to have awakened to your gender dysphoria but to not immediately be ready to tell the people in your life all about it.

I am really surprised this is meant to launch a whole connected Aftershock universe. There is absolutely nothing original about the premise, and if every super hero is going to be an Alter, this book should have been called
Chalice.
I'm honestly somewhat less interested in the book, knowing what this means for it.

What did you think of it? Did you read it?

Right now it seems like ANAD Avengers is focusing on setting up Marvel Now books.

Yeah I know I just don't like the way they're going about it. I am eager to see the Wasps handed off to a writer who is a bit more interested in engaging and authentic characterization.

Sandfox

Whew, that was a long read! But thanks for sharing that. It's certainly an interesting perspective. I had no idea
Chalice was a metaphor for a vagina.
I did read several other reviews to see what the general consensus is on the book and found most reviews to be much more positive (though Multiversity was similarly disappointed)...and nobody else seems to know that either, so...Jenkins gets major side eye for that but ultimately I don't think it's quite as significant as the Comicosity writer suggests if it isn't clearly communicated. Perhaps it will be in the future which would certainly be awful.

I disagree with the author in one other respect: I think it's obvious
Chalice has shapeshifting abilities.
If she doesn't, that's awful. We'll see how that pans out.

One of the reviews I read was written by a queer man, and for him just the representation of a character forced to live a dual life because of their gender identity was hugely significant. That's something I felt too, as a bisexual married dude. I know a lot of LGBTQ activists are encouraging bi people to come out but I'm not there yet. It's pretty much just my wife and my therapist. For most of my life nobody wanted to know that you were bi; it's always been pretty normal to keep it to yourself. So perhaps I - and the author of that review - over-identified with a character who is forced to lead a dual life because of her gender (though it does seem she is closeted about her sexuality as well). But I would be surprised if this was not a normal part of the transgender experience, to at some point in your life to have awakened to your gender dysphoria but to not immediately be ready to tell the people in your life all about it.

I am really surprised this is meant to launch a whole connected Aftershock universe. There is absolutely nothing original about the premise, and if every super hero is going to be an Alter, this book should have been called
Chalice.
I'm honestly somewhat less interested in the book, knowing what this means for it.

What did you think of it? Did you read it?

Yeah I know I just don't like the way they're going about it. I am eager to see the Wasps handed off to a writer who is a bit more interested in engaging and authentic characterization.
This issue was actually co-written by the writer of the book lol. What didn't you like about the characterization?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i can't handle my nerves today

this debate is going to ruin the country isn't it

god damn you white supremacists

This issue was actually co-written by the writer of the book lol. What didn't you like about the characterization?

Oh that's a bummer.

I thought nuWasp's
reaction to learning of the Civil War was ridiculously over the top. Maybe if she had just stuck to the mad scientist stuff it would have been fine but the bonding moment afterward didn't land for me at all.

And I didn't like how Janet
solved the mystery of the Russian robots with fashion powers.
Especially when one of those dudes' heads looked like this:

Oh that's
a robo-henchman?
You don't say. Good thing you noticed
something was amiss with his collar.

And I definitely didn't like how
NOBODY CALLED JANET OR JARVIS TO TELL THEM BRUCE IS DEAD. WTF.
That is a stain on the record of every single Avenger forever.

I'd love to know also as I loved this issue. Her breakdown about heroes needed to be better in particular.

It didn't resonate with me unfortunately =/

Fucking moment sold me on the whole character

Hmmm, I seem to be in the minority on this one!

Expectations for tonight are like, hmmm I wonder if Trump can avoid literally pooping out of his mouth. But can Hillary walk backwards in high heels while juggling on a tight rope over a pit of fire???

Owzers

Expectations for tonight are like, hmmm I wonder if Trump can avoid literally pooping out of his mouth. But can Hillary walk backwards in high heels while juggling on a tight rope over a pit of fire???

Pretty much, i don't see Hillary "winning" any of these debates outside of liberals who want detailed answers for questions. But who's got time for that? Talk about the blue dress!

regular show 8th season starts tonight!

Haha my kid watches this show and me and my partner often end up sitting watching it over his shoulder it's pretty hilarious haha. The time Mordecai accidently left Margaret the answer phone message. Brilliant haha.

Wait did you delete some.out of that post haha?

TheFlow

Banned
Haha my kid watches this show and me and my partner often end up sitting watching it over his shoulder it's pretty hilarious haha. The time Mordecai accidently left Margaret the answer phone message. Brilliant haha.

Wait did you delete some.out of that post haha?

yes I did, it was meant to be a thread, but yea I am stocked. I have been watching this since day one back in high school. Watching these characters grow has been great. I remember that episode for sure. I think we all have been through that

yes I did, it was meant to be a thread, but yea I am stocked. I have been watching this since day one back in high school. Watching these characters grow has been great. I remember that episode for sure. I think we all have been through that

Ah right haha! I rmeeber the ballroom ghosts one too, there's a whole bunch of good ones. Not sure if we've seen much of the newer stuff though it's on so often in uk cartoon network it feels like it's just old stuff repeating.

I was actually looking at the trades of the comic books for my kid, the kaboom stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
Ah right haha! I rmeeber the ballroom ghosts one too, there's a whole bunch of good ones. Not sure if we've seen much of the newer stuff though it's on so often in uk cartoon network it feels like it's just old stuff repeating.

I was actually looking at the trades of the comic books for my kid, the kaboom stuff.

oh yea I forgot they made a comic of the show. quite a bit of issues too.

CN decided to air a lot of last season episodes online instead of on air. I had to use youtube for a lot of stuff

Top Bottom