• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Should I read Essex County? Hearing it keep come up during this 11 o'clock podcast with Jeff Lemire has made me interested in looking into it.

It's literally the only thing of his own drawn work I haven't read yet but judging by all his other stuff, yes. Tim talks really highly of it too I believe. Really need to get to it. Sweet Tooth, the underwater welder and the nobody are all awesome too, should check em out man. Trillium is good but I wasn't quite as into that.

mreddie

Oh that's a bummer.

I thought nuWasp's
reaction to learning of the Civil War was ridiculously over the top. Maybe if she had just stuck to the mad scientist stuff it would have been fine but the bonding moment afterward didn't land for me at all.

And I didn't like how Janet
solved the mystery of the Russian robots with fashion powers.
Especially when one of those dudes' heads looked like this:

Oh that's
a robo-henchman?
You don't say. Good thing you noticed
something was amiss with his collar.

And I definitely didn't like how
NOBODY CALLED JANET OR JARVIS TO TELL THEM BRUCE IS DEAD. WTF.
That is a stain on the record of every single Avenger forever.

A. She's a
fashion designer, she notices shit like that.
B. She
made the funeral though

FALLEN2016001-int2-3-7cca8.jpg

It's literally the only thing of his own drawn work I haven't read yet but judging by all his other stuff, yes. Tim talks really highly of it too I believe. Really need to get to it. Sweet Tooth, the underwater welder and the nobody are all awesome too, should check em out man. Trillium is good but I wasn't quite as into that.

I was just thinking about everything so far I have read of his that I liked and hearing them talk about Black Hammer being somewhat influenced by Essex just made me think I should look it up when I get a chance.

Will throw it on my list of stuff to check out.

I was just thinking about everything so far I have read of his that I liked and hearing them talk about Black Hammer being somewhat influenced by Essex just made me think I should look it up when I get a chance.

Will throw it on my list of stuff to check out.

He's a really great writer man, a total knockout with his own stuff. Descender is pretty rad too, with Dustin Nyugen on art. He hasn't had the same impact at the big two that some of his peers have so I think it's easier to sleep on him, but it's worth going through his back catalogue and cherry picking whatever you think looks good.

Yes.
It's the best thing Lemire has done.

Haha I knew you'd pitch in man. Did you enjoy the underwater welder? Roughneck looks pretty awesome, looking forward to that one.

Definitely checking out Essex now, thanks guys.

Holy shit, hearing how far ahead of his books Lemire is, is kind of nuts. Hearing he's a couple arcs ahead on Old Man Logan, up to 14 or so on Black Hammer, multiple arcs on Bloodshot, been ahead about a year or so on Moon Knight. Good God man, no wonder he is doing so many books all at once.

Holy shit, hearing how far ahead of his books Lemire is, is kind of nuts. Hearing he's a couple arcs ahead on Old Man Logan, up to 14 or so on Black Hammer, multiple arcs on Bloodshot, been ahead about a year or so on Moon Knight. Good God man, no wonder he is doing so many books all at once.

Haha he's pretty nuts like that. Remember he's working on Descender, Roughneck, Royal City and that music project thing too. I guess he needs to stay ahead to do it all haha.

And I even forgot AD for a moment.

Messi

What if moon Knight gets canned. Is that lost work??

Sandfox

That's crazy.

What if moon Knight gets canned. Is that lost work??

I don't think he went too far actually ahead on Moon Knight, just that he apparently had it mostly done before Secret Wars but then they held on to it for after it.

It's also probably a matter of script being done as apposed to having art and the issue being done. He mentioned the artist on Old Man Logan never missing a deadline while doing the pencils and the water colors on it, so it made me think he's working pretty close to the deadlines on the art aspect.

Malyse

How confused is Reed gonna be when he gets back (just kidding, Reed is never coming back, new FF Lunella, Valeria, Franklin, and Julie Power)

It's also probably a matter of script being done as apposed to having art and the issue being done. He mentioned the artist on Old Man Logan never missing a deadline while doing the pencils and the water colors on it, so it made me think he's working pretty close to the deadlines on the art aspect.

I read this awhile back, this should give you an ide a of how he handles his workload :)

http://jefflemire.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/on-time-management-and-process.html?m=1

A. She's a
fashion designer, she notices shit like that.
B. She
made the funeral though

Yeah I'm aware of A it's just...she's also a founding Avenger and a former leader of the team. Also also (from her wiki):

In addition, the Wasp is one of the most intuitive, if not deductive, members of the Avengers, and is an experienced leader and strategist. She effectively determines that a chemical accident has created a schizophrenic break in Henry[54] and that the relationship between the Scarlet Witch and the Vision is the result of the infused personality of Wonder Man,[volume & issue needed] and guesses Iron Man's identity of Tony Stark.

Given that, it seemed reductive of her capabilities. Not knocking that aspect of her character but she's much more than that.

The feel of a Valiant thread getting shit on in OT.

black-kid-crying.gif

WHAT. Only we get to do that. How dare they.

Owzers

The feel of a Valiant thread getting shit on in OT

I don't think we should be legitimizing Valiant by making OT threads about them. They are unfit for print or anywhere else.

Tonight is the beginning of the end people, it's time to pick a new chancellor with greater power.

WHAT. Only we get to do that. How dare they.

I owe you an apology for the other day. True, I was only joking about marvel, but the bitterness was real. I don't like being bitter. I swallowed my pride and started back up on my Marvel reading.

I dunno, I think Harbinger could make for a good movie. It is a lot like X-Men, but without Wolverine and Mystique hogging the spotlight, maybe this will actually feel like an X-Men movie.

Nope, gaf knows better. The Valiant cinematic universe is DOA.

I owe you an apology for the other day. True, I was only joking about marvel, but the bitterness was real. I don't like being bitter. I swallowed my pride and started back up on my Marvel reading.

No worries we're good m8 ^_^

Sheesh, all the bullshit you put up with, I think we can allow for the occasional counterattack

This weekend, I finished off The Flash TPB by Morrison/Millar, Dini's Dark Knight: A True Batman story, and Poison Ivy Cycle of Life and Death by Amy Chu. All entertained me. Yay comics!

Owzers

No worries we're good m8 ^_^

Sheesh, all the bullshit you put up with, I think we can allow for the occasional counterattack

We should really stop taking shots at different comic publishers. I am the comic book poster that wants all publishers to be great again and care about all characters no matter who they are as long as they were born in America.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
A little late, but Seven to Eternity... I said, DAMN! And Remender likes
killing fathers, huh? Did it in LOW, too.

A little late, but Seven to Eternity... I said, DAMN! And Remender likes
killing fathers, huh? Did it in LOW, too.

Remenders dad: why don't you grow up Richard. Writing has got you no where. You sit in your room all day and listen to that filth you call music. Playing those fucking video games and hanging out with those degenerate friends who are no good for you. Really. GROW. UP.

Rick: fuck you dad, I'm gonna kill you in every story I ever write!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick: fuck you dad, I'm gonna kill you in every story I ever write!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niiiice. Second Remender spoiler of the week.
At least with it being the first issue, it's not the main character this time, or not for long I guess.

Spoiler tagged so I'm not contributing to the last one.

Hmmm, I seem to be in the minority on this one!
To me that moment screamed the aspect of the character I needed in order for me to believe that this girl -- who has effectively been forced into a military science lab and escaped -- could seem as well-adjusted (though overzealous) as she was.

Every superhero is Superman to this girl. The absolute peak of goodness in humanity. And then she sees them fighting. These holy paragons are fighting each other. Why? She simply can't handle that question and it breaks her. But she doesn't brood in a corner. Instead she buries her emotions and works non-stop. Can't even bring herself to grips with what's happening completely.

It's these types of character pieces I needed in order to believe she wasn't just another bubbly teenaged/young superhero who's all "OMG BEING A SUPERHERO IS DA BESS." I love superheroes who love being superheroes (refreshing), but I need something more than that in order for me to truly fall in with the character.

Also, I was a little miffed about the Wasp thing as well, but she was at least being defensive and knew something was wrong from the get-go.

Top Bottom