• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Ms. Marvel #10
As intense as this issue was, it's really hard to
take Basic Becky and the whole conflict with her seriously. Something about the character's voice and that sentai pose.

Civil War 2: X-Men #3
I like the build up, and it was nice to see
Rachel again, but for someone who wants to distance themselves from the X-Men, I'm not clear as to why you'd wear clothing with a giant X symbol on your chest. Also THEY FUCKING REMEMBERED WOZ THANK GOD.

Just finished The Omega Men. Oh my GOODNESS. Unbelievably good. A lot more extras in the back than I thought there would be too. Certainly a lot more than you typically see in a DC trade.

What'd you think of
issue 8? That was probably the biggest gut punch and part that stuck with me the longest. "Treat them like your family." Or something along those lines. God damn man.

Boogiepop

You guys reminded me, I saw both Kubo (which was great) and Fant4stic in the past week. And wow, the latter was... not a good movie. Just... so incredibly empty and poorly pieced together. Like, it was somehow both too slow and too quick simultaneously. Above all else, though, that had to have been the least Fantastic Four movie you could make with the characters that I could imagine. None of the superhero names come up till the tail end, they don't have powers for the majority of the movie, they're only a "team" at the climax, and most importantly... there's somehow hardly ever any interaction between the freaking main four! Like, I think there's maybe a few scenes of all four actually being together. Not to mention Doom being incredibly un-Doom. Oh, and a climax of Reed Richards pushing himself to get up again to... use stretchy powers to punch Doom? No sciencing for him! Oh, and... I don't think the conflict between Ben and Reed, which was like one of the only things in the movie that tries to go into the relationship between two characters, actually resolved. They're just friends again because reasons. I'm honestly thinking after watching it that the whole "oh no, Johnny is black!" thing was done solely to distract people from the countless other flaws of the film, because even if that upset you (and really, it didn't matter, and it was far more distracting that, you know, he hardly had a role in the freaking film), it's so incredibly far down on the totem pole of things that the film gets "wrong" (the quotes going towards the black Johnny, which is fine, instead of all the serious issues with the movie).

Oh, and it's weird how the ending plot device of
"evil power pillar of blue energy into the sky with debris floating around it that will destroy the Earth if the person controlling it isn't stopped"
is exactly the same between this and Suicide Squad. Like, that's some straight up odd overlap.

tldr: I knew this going in, but Fant4stic is a terrible film that I would not recommend watching.

Edit: I'm planning on tracking down and watching that unreleased Fantastic Four film from the 90s or whatever with the same group of friends tomorrow, after which we'll try to determine which was worse.

Sandfox

You guys reminded me, I saw both Kubo (which was great) and Fant4stic in the past week. And wow, the latter was... not a good movie. Just... so incredibly empty and poorly pieced together. Like, it was somehow both too slow and too quick simultaneously. Above all else, though, that had to have been the least Fantastic Four movie you could make with the characters that I could imagine. None of the superhero names come up till the tail end, they don't have powers for the majority of the movie, they're only a "team" at the climax, and most importantly... there's somehow hardly ever any interaction between the freaking main four! Like, I think there's maybe a few scenes of all four actually being together. Not to mention Doom being incredibly un-Doom. Oh, and a climax of Reed Richards pushing himself to get up again to... use stretchy powers to punch Doom? No sciencing for him! Oh, and... I don't think the conflict between Ben and Reed, which was like one of the only things in the movie that tries to go into the relationship between two characters, actually resolved. They're just friends again because reasons. I'm honestly thinking after watching it that the whole "oh no, Johnny is black!" thing was done solely to distract people from the countless other flaws of the film, because even if that upset you (and really, it didn't matter, and it was far more distracting that, you know, he hardly had a role in the freaking film), it's so incredibly far down on the totem pole of things that the film gets "wrong" (the quotes going towards the black Johnny, which is fine, instead of all the serious issues with the movie).

"evil power pillar of blue energy into the sky with debris floating around it that will destroy the Earth if the person controlling it isn't stopped"
is exactly the same between this and Suicide Squad. Like, that's some straight up odd overlap.

tldr: I knew this going in, but Fant4stic is a terrible film that I would not recommend watching.

Fox just needs to either sell those licenses to Marvel or pull off a Spider-Man deal, because they've been handling them poorly and seemingly have no real plans.

As proud a tradition as a big heavy floating thing crashing into the ground near the end of MCU movies.

Fox just needs to either sell those licenses to Marvel or pull off a Spider-Man deal, because they've been handling them poorly and seemingly have no real plans.

But they know if they did that Marvel would all of a sudden launch 20 new X-Men books and probably kill off every last Inhuman.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do you understand me now Fox? Do you?

DO you? Stay here where its safe.

TheFlow

Banned

Edit: I'm planning on tracking down and watching that unreleased Fantastic Four film from the 90s or whatever with the same group of friends tomorrow, after which we'll try to determine which was worse.
Terrible movie. Slayven warned me

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Isn't the champions supposed to have a secret team.member who will show up in issue 2 as well? I'm sure waid described the character as explosive.

featured-marvel-comics-x-men-worst-x-man-ever-1-cover-700x352.jpg

Bailey confirmed

Sandfox

Now that I think about it 400k is actually a lot for a modern comic even when you factor in the variant covers and stuff.
Isn't the champions supposed to have a secret team.member who will show up in issue 2 as well? I'm sure waid described the character as explosive.
I don't remember anythihng about that, but it wouldn't surprise me.
featured-marvel-comics-x-men-worst-x-man-ever-1-cover-700x352.jpg

Bailey confirmed

I'd read that.

Lake of Fire is getting a second printing. Cool.

I still need to read that.

Ross61

Joshua Williamson is a great writer. But even greater writers have fallen to the trap of events. Even though this is a huge event, it's somewhat contained in that it only involves two titles. Characterization is really going to make or break JL vs SS. I'm still hyped though.

tim1138

Yo Spider, I bought that Silver Age Supergirl omnibus. $30 with that Barnes and Noble coupon was just too good to pass up.

Ross61

Could Gail Simone actually be writing a book on Black Lightning and his daughters? I actually just thought about that. (Although I personally would prefer a black man/woman to write it.)

Top Bottom