• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Nice OP (late as hell I know) Some good books coming out.

Been busy with new job, wife is knocked up.. so I lost my old "man cave" room. The wife is pretty cool and let me take over the den tho.
only thing I've moved so far really.

Don't have much to contribute to last night's chat, but spotted this, congrats man! Now, enjoy your free time while you have it haha

Paper Girls, Vol. 1

Didn't really have any idea what this book was about, just saw it recommended.

But I'm hooked. I really quite like the art and coloring, the characters seem pretty great and the dialogue is nice.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Caught up with Southern Bastards. Shit is going down in the next arc,
with the homecoming loss and Coach getting surrounded from all sides
. Such a good book, every issue continues to be great.

Also started getting into the Star Wars comics. Read the first volume of Darth Vader, which was superb. It was impressive how much depth Gillen added to the character in just a few issues. All the flashbacks and callbacks to the prequels work, surprisingly. Last few pages of #6 were awesome.

Remind me to add "Harvey award winning writer" to the Omega Men thread before posting it:
creb28dwgaahti2arqdv.jpg

Paper Girls, Vol. 1

Didn't really have any idea what this book was about, just saw it recommended.

But I'm hooked. I really quite like the art and coloring, the characters seem pretty great and the dialogue is nice.

Haha, you're really smashing through them man. Still to start this one, looking forward to it though. I just kind of assume regardless of the actual plot that since it's BKV, Chaing on art that it'll be one of my favourite books once I've read it haha BKV never goes wrong with characters.

Drifter #14

How do you feel about this series in general man? There's very ltitle coverage of it online, and the only thingI ever read by Brandon was NYC Mech, and that was an age ago.

Timo

Paper Girls 8 was pretty good, for a while there i was getting iffy on the series, but the last couple of issues have turned me. Sex Crims 14 was good too, though had a weird abrupt ending.

Haha, you're really smashing through them man. Still to start this one, looking forward to it though. I just kind of assume regardless of the actual plot that since it's BKV, Chaing on art that it'll be one of my favourite books once I've read it haha BKV never goes wrong with characters.

Haha, yea I have quite a bit of free time for the next couple of weeks and still a bit left on my budget.

And yea, great book. The actual premise is quite interesting and there's a real strong sense of mystery as well but the dialogue and characters impress me the most.

Anyone else have trouble with yahoo verifying age? Only feedback I see to correct this is it telling me to start a new account. Which seems odd.

Haha, yea I have quite a bit of free time for the next couple of weeks and still a bit left on my budget.

And yea, great book. The actual premise is quite interesting and there's a real strong sense of mystery as well but the dialogue and characters impress me the most.

Brilliant! That sounds great, can't wait to get hold of it, hopefully later this month. I reminds me of another book just a little in premise that I've had my eye on for awhile called the bunker, it's just about to wrap its run up. I love the whole group of kids on an adventure that actually has some really serious and adult overtones, Stranger Things recently manages to push a similar button.

You got any ideas what you're going to grab next? Are you working form a list or just grabbing whatever haha

Brilliant! That sounds great, can't wait to get hold of it, hopefully later this month. I reminds me of another book just a little in premise that I've had my eye on for awhile called the bunker, it's just about to wrap its run up. I love the whole group of kids on an adventure that actually has some really serious and adult overtones, Stranger Things recently manages to push a similar button.

You got any ideas what you're going to grab next? Are you working form a list or just grabbing whatever haha

I actually just finished up Descender Vol. 1.

That was a pretty good read with good execution on a somewhat tried concept. The arts good as well and I quite like how the story is shaping up so far.

Aa for how I find new stuff to read.. I have an excel sheet open while I read this thread. I just add all the stuff people seem to talk about and the more mentions something gets, the higher I put it. Just working my way through that.

I'll give Bunker a look.

I'm deciding between Low, Scalped or Black Monday Murders next. I have a few other stuff as well such as Omega Men, but I've ordered that as a physical version and will have to read that when I finally get home.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Poor-man's Alex Maleev confirmed.

I knew that art looked familiar, couldn't place the name... but I would have been wrong anyway.

Pre-Secret Wars (just called Spider-Gwen) is pretty dope. Post-SW (Radioactive Spider-Gwen) I found to be rather boring and dropped it.

Was wondering what the differences were when I looked them up last night. Interest already waned from S-G.

No new games to play so I guess I'll read comics list
Supergirl #1 (I should really finish reading Supergirl Rebirth)
Doctor Strange #11 (No Bachalo, no sale)

I thought I Rebirth issue was good. People complain that it is trying to match up with the TV show, but I have no clue as I don't watch it.

And Bachalo is off Dr. Strange? Are you sure? http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/957309

9/7 Comics:
Batman #6
Nightwing #4
Kill or be Killed #2
Doctor Strange #11
Supergirl #1
Glitterbomb #1
Cyborg Rebirth #1 (maybe)

I actually just finished up Descender Vol. 1.

I'm deciding between Low, Scalped or Black Monday Murders next. I have a few other stuff as well such as Omega Men, but I've ordered that as a physical version and will have to read that when I finally get home.

Oh dude that's easy, scalped is fucking awesome, one of my favourite series. Definitely Aarons defining work for now, although I think when southern bastards is done, it will have outdid it. Scalped is great and has a really big twist at the end of issue one that makes the premise even more interesting than what you probably believe it to be.

I like Descender it's definitely a cool book, I really think Lemire excels with his own art so comparing descender opening volume to sweet tooth volume 1 I'm not going crazy over it, but I will definitely stick with it, interested to see where it goes.

Oh dude that's easy, scalped is fucking awesome, one of my favourite series. Definitely Aarons defining work for now, although I think when southern bastards is done, it will have outdid it. Scalped is great and has a really big twist at the end of issue one that makes the premise even more interesting than what you probably believe it to be.

I like Descender it's definitely a cool book, I really think Lemire excels with his own art so comparing descender opening volume to sweet tooth volume 1 I'm not going crazy over it, but I will definitely stick with it, interested to see where it goes.

Damn, you got me excited. Scalped it is.

TheFlow

Banned
Great marvel sale. Managed to catch up on some of the books I pull for 28 bucks.

Power Man and Iron Fist (2016-) #5

Power Man and Iron Fist (2016-) #6

Power Man and Iron Fist (2016-) #7

Moon Knight (2016-) #4

Moon Knight (2016-) #5

Vision (2015-) #8

Vision (2015-) #9

Vision (2015-) #10

Spider-Man (2016-) #4

Spider-Man (2016-) #5

Spider-Man (2016-) #6

Spider-Man (2016-) #7

Black Panther (2016-) #5

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
How do you feel about this series in general man? There's very ltitle coverage of it online, and the only thingI ever read by Brandon was NYC Mech, and that was an age ago.

It's weird and I'm not sure what is going on with the story overall but I like it. It was a slow starter but it has gotten a lot better over the last two arcs IMO.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
It's excellent! The comics layout as problem solving was a great part- especially when Shalvey said that he has the most fun solving the layout puzzle and he is kinda depressed after that since he actually has to go draw/ink the thing. lol

Damn, you got me excited. Scalped it is.

Haha its awesome. I'm highly confident you won't be disappointed. I didn't have a particularly problem with it but they do change over the colorist after the first arc, I think there was a feeling they ere too overbearing so maybe keep that in mind but in general, it's a fantastically written and drawn run and they absolutely nail the landing.

Also, it has one of the most heartfelt single issues of a series I've read, like a off the narrative path story about two characters that have no relevance to the overall plot , but it's extremely poignant.

It's weird and I'm not sure what is going on with the story overall but I like it. It was a slow starter but it has gotten a lot better over the last two arcs IMO.

Cool, I might check it out then. I remember when both this and invisible republic were coming out I was.amped for both but I ended.up only going with invisible republic literally just because there was really little in the way of coverage. The art looks great.

Owzers

Yondu and Ronan are the worst parts in gotg, if they had a better plot it would have greatly served the movie and the quality team interactions.

Yondu and Ronan are the worst parts in gotg, if they had a better plot it would have greatly served the movie and the quality team interactions.

Mmm, I have a hard time having anything against Yondu purely because he lays such a small part throughout the movie, but I definitely agree with the Ronan assessment. To be honest, I think you could apply your critique to a large portion of the marvel movies, and I say that as a fan.

Owzers

Mmm, I have a hard time having anything against Yondu purely because he lays such a small part throughout the movie, but I definitely agree with the Ronan assessment. To be honest, I think you could apply your critique to a large portion of the marvel movies, and I say that as a fan.
Coincidentally i didn't like most marvel movies, especially the plotting. My favorites are winter soldier and the first Iron Man. Looking forward to civil war still.

Owzers

Enjoyed the hell out of Jungle Book

that's next on my rent list, it was out of stock at Redbox so i went with Keanu, still a decent choice but the movie seemed to be lacking something and it felt a little stretched out despite having some great parts.

Zombine

Banned
Hey guys, Valiant deluxe books typically hold their $39.99 asking price, but if you use Barnes&Nobles 40% off coupon you can get one of those volumes for $25. That's a steal.

Owzers

Hey guys, Valiant deluxe books typically hold their $39.99 asking price, but if you use Barnes&Nobles 40% off coupon you can get one of those volumes for $25. That's a steal.

how do they trick people into thinking anything from Valiant can be "deluxe"?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
that's next on my rent list, it was out of stock at Redbox so i went with Keanu, still a decent choice but the movie seemed to be lacking something and it felt a little stretched out despite having some great parts.
Yeah, was a little bit disappointed in the first half because I expected a remake of the cartoon movie, but then I realized that its more like the book (I guess this, never read it) and loved it then.
One of the few times where I really didnt liked the german dub. When the credits came and King Louies song was played I was really bummed that I stayed with the german version, espescially when I realized that Idris Elbar voiced Sir Khan.

Coincidentally i didn't like most marvel movies, especially the plotting. My favorites are winter soldier and the first Iron Man. Looking forward to civil war still.

Yup, I like them for what they are, and I'm also pretty psyched for civil war, but I don't think I could really go to town defending them or anything (that energy is being saved for when i get this gwen trade through and if i like it). They have flaws, but there's a lot of satisfaction just seeing the different characters on screen, and I think most have been cast well. I'm super picky with *real* movies, so superhero flicks are my outlet haha. Personal favourites so far are winter soldier and guardians. I liked the batman vs superman extended cut alot too though and amazing spiderman 2, so my opinion might be worthless to some of you guys on these movies haha.

Owzers

Gwenpool #4 still doesn't live up to my comic hopes from the first issue, but i liked the issue's
fight with modok
more than what issue #3 did. It keeps its place on my pull list.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Cool, I might check it out then. I remember when both this and invisible republic were coming out I was.amped for both but I ended.up only going with invisible republic literally just because there was really little in the way of coverage. The art looks great.

Speaking of Invisible Republic I just listened to an interview with Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman last week. She was quite lovely. He was equally annoying.

Speaking of Invisible Republic I just listened to an interview with Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman last week. She was quite lovely. He was equally annoying.

Hahah, have you got a link to that? I really liked the first volume that I read of that book. Very well crafted, good world building, I thought the characters and the story were super intreguing, looking forward to reading more. Dude has some great artistic chops, he should just zip it up and keep drawing hahah pretty sure he was a storyboard artist on the Nolan bat films.

Top Bottom