• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Plan for today was to read sex criminals vol.1 but life keeps getting in the way. I should do something about that. I'll see if I can get on it later. I actually originally bought the trade for my partner but it's sat for nearly a year or so now, I feel like I'm past the point where it's rude to read it first ha.

So did you guys say one of the Xmen titles running right now is good? Or was it just maybe readable?

I was asking about extraordinary a few days ago and quite a few peeps came out the wood work to say it was a good book, got it in the mail right now. (I read this as a q about team books but yea, people are super positive about old man logan)

Owzers

I tried to put my all star superman Lois figure back on my shelf from it's cardboard box prison but it's just so potatoey. What made me think this was something worth buying?

At least it doesn't look anything like the art...

Not a pic of my figure, i don't have the Superman one, just Lois.
allstarheading.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Most of the way through Wicked + Divine vol 1.
Not sure if this one is for me. It seems unique which is good, but I dont care much about celebrity culture and all that. How good is this series really?

Not sure if this one is for me. It seems unique which is good, but I dont care much about celebrity culture and all that. How good is this series really?

I bounced.off it pretty hard. I agree, it has a lot of style and is unique, I can understand why some people love it. The art is visually quite nice too. I found the actual characters pretty weak though and some of the storytelling quite disjointed. Didn't think the celebrity lifestyle parallels being drawn were very strong, which reading the premise originally, I thought would be the strongest part since there's so much to be mined there. Overall, looks nice on top, but crumbles underneath. I think alot of people around here like it though.

Reading the first issue of sex criminals, laughed out loud a few.more timed than I normally would during a comic. Book is interesting thematically too, I think I can see where Fraction is going with this but will keep an open mind for now and keep reading.

Owzers

Amazing Spider-Man #7 was as disinteresting as a Green Party Town Hall, these are just incredibly bad arcs coming out of Marvel All New All Now. Mister Negative with a drug that makes people AXIS tie-ins, how can anyone turn that down?

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing Spider-Man #7 was as disinteresting as a Green Party Town Hall, these are just incredibly bad arcs coming out of Marvel All New All Now. Mister Negative with a drug that makes people AXIS tie-ins, how can anyone turn that down?

It really is a Green Party Town Hall. Stein is a fucking crazy person.

Finished the Black Panther trade and holy shit can Coates construct a compelling narrative.

Reading the first issue of sex criminals, l

Hmm... do you mean the first trade? Anyway, I have that and the Wicked+Divine stuff to get through this weekend. W+D sounds good, but just from the comments here I'm getting a Palahnuik Invisible Monsters vibe from it. And I gave up on Palahnuik years ago.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is Mr Negatives power from 5 years before Axis was a thing...

Hmm... do you mean the first trade? Anyway, I have that and the Wicked+Divine stuff to get through this weekend. W+D sounds good, but just from the comments here I'm getting a Palahnuik Invisible Monsters vibe from it. And I gave up on Palahnuik years ago.

Well I mean I'm reading from the first trade, but I was on the first issue of the 5 presented. Finished there. Very clever book I think. It seems chaotic jumping around from.scene to scene but I think the story is actually very methodical, everything is a reflect of Suz and wjer e she's at mentally, what she's going through. I think the book might have some interesting things to say, will read the rest of the trade throughout the evening, think I'll have more to share then. I will hold from spoilers though :) I do think that for all thats going on, the core concept, what Suze tells you about how she's feels and why she thinks she does the things she does, it's very obvious what is really going on. Quite a sad story really, when you look beyond the surface.

8bit

Knows the Score

Think it meanders a bit, but the most recent arc was pretty great.

So I bought that Captain Marvel exclusive version with the mohawk...

It actually looks decent, but a couple of her hair-tips on the very very top didn't get painted. I'm debating whether to return it or grab some paint from AC Moore and just Sillymonkey that shit.

Ugh I see Slott is still on Spider-man.
I cannot stand that guys writing, just grates on me.

Better get used to it. I don't think Slott is going anywhere.

Owzers

So I bought that Captain Marvel exclusive version with the mohawk...

It actually looks decent, but a couple of her hair-tips on the very very top didn't get painted. I'm debating whether to return it or grab some paint from AC Moore and just Sillymonkey that shit.

Better get used to it. I don't think Slott is going anywhere.

I think everyone here thinks you should paint it and post pics.

I don't think anything that comes after is going to win you back. But it's worth a shot.

Mmm, if anything it leans into itself harder. Cheers for that link earlier btw will give me something to listen to tomorrow morning! I love listening to podcasts but basically know no good comic ones.

Rewatching winter soldier tonight in anticipation of civil war tomorrow. May drown in the despair of age of ultron of I have time for that too

Owzers

This is how my Supergirl figure painting adventure turned out, i don't think the lip paint is fixable since they put too much on and i'm not trying to match skin tones, i just tried to even out their terribleness. Eye paint worked much better as i thought it would.

Then here is the box of figures i have left, a lot of which were when i was a kid and they survived the years. If you don't make the shelf you get the box. A lot of my figures have their toes bitten/torn off and my g.i. joes had a lot of broken crotches, people just don't make stuff to last.

Then here is the box of figures i have left, a lot of which were when i was a kid and they survived the years. If you don't make the shelf you get the box.

Looks like the box of Dr. Frankenstein's failed experiments.

Whoa, is that a Rose figure from Legend of Dragoon? I still have her and Shana in sealed packages.

Owzers

Looks like the box of Dr. Frankenstein's failed experiments.

Whoa, is that a Rose figure from Legend of Dragoon? I still have her and Shana in sealed packages.

I had Rose and Dart sealed but i ended up opening Rose thinking i would put her on a shelf and that didn't last. Dart is just hanging around. I still hold a grudge against Sony for pumping out sequels to games i don't care about yet never delivering me a Legend of Dragoon 2. I don't care how much it costs them, just do it and think about the consequences later.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Mmm, if anything it leans into itself harder. Cheers for that link earlier btw will give me something to listen to tomorrow morning! I love listening to podcasts but basically know no good comic ones.

Rewatching winter soldier tonight in anticipation of civil war tomorrow. May drown in the despair of age of ultron of I have time for that too

These are the podcasts I listen to.....

iFanboy - A weekly review podcast. Features a former Image employee.

11 O'Clock Comics - Weekly stuff along with old stuff and some really obscure stuff. Longer more free form show.

Serious Issues - Australian show. Also a weekly review show. They talk alot more books per show than the other two. Very rapid fire. Strong Image presence.

Comixologist Conversations - creator interview show. Usually about 10-15 minutes.

Top Bottom