• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Spidey #1-3 - Cute. That was cute. I dont have much more to say, or anything bad to say either. The art is great, the writing is funny (even if its weird for a book chronicling Pete's early days would have smartphones or selfies but I guess this isnt cannon), the stories are self contained, its a easy read. Not something I would buy outside of MU mind you but its completely harmless.

Female Galactus by Jim Mahfood:
Oiocj6j.jpg
https://twitter.com/JimMahfood/status/772615837484060673

Edit: It's Galacta. I Didn't know.

I want to try D&D one of these days. I think I could get a core group of family/friends to try it.

So I finally finished watching Daredevil Season 2. I liked it but what's up with the show "downgrading" his abilities? There was a scene in one of the latter episodes where he had trouble detecting the Hand because they weren't using their weapons any longer. Bullshit. Daredevil doesn't need to rely on his listening but could have used his 3D sense or whatever it's called.
Not how his powers work in the MCU. He sees the world as if it's on fire, but he doesn't really have the radar sense from the comics.

Although I agree that it was bullshit that he couldn't figure out that tracking breath would work. In all his time having his abilities, he never thought to do that?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I miss DMing so much.

I agree with sticking with the core books for teaching, because I didn't understand a good portion of what you said, but the idea of a petrified corpse with a rock through it as an axe is fantastic. I love how creative it can be, and really hope to play more soon.

I have no problem with Olivia Munn. Glad she found success. Good for her.

I feel like Munn is pretty underrated. She was basically the best part of The Newsroom for a season and a half through sheer force of charisma alone.

Is Goodreads solid enough to keep track of comics? Or should I stick to my tried and tested excel file?

I also don't want to separately track my comics and manga.. ugh.

Just got back from DMing my first round of D&D. It was a bit slow at first as a big (probably too big) group of people who had never played before figured out all of the rules and things that they are able to do. They managed to charm a few wolves and a few bugbears, and promptly murdered the rest of them. And, as far as they can tell, they enjoyed it enough to keep playing, which I'm really psyched about, because I love having a hobby that's more creative than consumptive.

Highlight: my one friend that made great initiative rolls again and again, but only ever hit one person because his attack rolls where so terrible

Lowlight: My attempts at accent work, which would all revert over the course of the conversation to my mostly ok "southern".

All in all, highly recommended.

Yay!!!!

So glad you had fun.

Ah I miss playing pen and paper RPGs. In high school i was part of a regular Vampire the mascarade game. It was fun times.

Now I get my fix watching the Easy Allies D&D show Tabletop Escapades

Spidey #1-3 - Cute. That was cute. I dont have much more to say, or anything bad to say either. The art is great, the writing is funny (even if its weird for a book chronicling Pete's early days would have smartphones or selfies but I guess this isnt cannon), the stories are self contained, its a easy read. Not something I would buy outside of MU mind you but its completely harmless.

I wish they did more books like this, it brings the gap well between *adult* books* and *kid* books. I saw it mentioned somewhere it was ending though, which if true would be disappointing.

Is Goodreads solid enough to keep track of comics? Or should I stick to my tried and tested excel file?

I also don't want to separately track my comics and manga.. ugh.

Haha I go the spreadsheer route. I tried goodreads but it was too much fuss and I think the sorting options annoyed m (this was awhile back though). Did you get a start on Scalped yet btw?

I wish they did more books like this, it brings the gap well between *adult* books* and *kid* books. I saw it mentioned somewhere it was ending though, which if true would be disappointing.

Haha I go the spreadsheer route. I tried goodreads but it was too much fuss and I think the sorting options annoyed m (this was awhile back though). Did you get a start on Scalped yet btw?

Yea, I'm sticking to my spreadsheet as well. I tried inputting about 8-10 books and while I like a lot of the website, it's just too messy to keep track of issues alongside trades.

As for Scalped, I bought the first volume but didn't get a chance to download it. Didn't have access to good enough internet to do so. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read it in the next couple of days.

Sandfox

I haven't seen anything about Spidey ending. We'll see for sure in a few weeks though.

I haven't seen anything about Spidey ending. We'll see for sure in a few weeks though.

Hope ont man. It was on reddit, not a press release or anything, so could definitely be shit, just doesn't seem a book anyone would bother lying about either. I would honestly like to see them expand these books!

As for Scalped, I bought the first volume but didn't get a chance to download it. Didn't have access to good enough internet to do so. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read it in the next couple of days.

Hahah brilliant, look foward to your thoughts :)

Sandfox

Hope ont man. It was on reddit, not a press release or anything, so could definitely be shit, just doesn't seem a book anyone would bother lying about either. I would honestly like to see them expand these books!

If that's the list I'm thinking then it's simply listing the books not in the Marvel Now preview book as cancelled.

If that's the list I'm thinking then it's simply listing the books not in the Marvel Now preview book as cancelled.

Ah right, awesome, thanks :) another thing I like about this series: not only have they did a trade, they actually did a big treasury edition. That's a real nice compromise because I want to get it for my kid in collected form, but no doubt staples are a bit easier for him so having this big thick thing but that will open right out and lie on his pillow or something no bother if great (that's what these things are right? )

EDIT: Wait, no, I don't think they use staples, they are bound? Really shitting up the thread with my inaccuracies this morning. More coffee needed

Yo Secret Warriors is dope

Aw it's awesome man eh. Hickman was nailing it from day one at marvel, I'd like to see him do some more spy stuff, none of his books are really hitting that right now. Some really great use of his graphic design work hinting at the different facilities etc too

Plus spoiler for the end but
whe fury decided he's done with strucker for good
. Goosebumps moment.

One of my favorite Marvel books. I bought the omnibus wihout hesitation.

Haha, I actually got the omnibus then ditched it, if you believe. I have trouble reading books that are too thick, getting comfortable etc, the infinity ohc is about my limit. I changed it out for just the regular trades.

The event or the movie?

I won't lie, eating sushi is like an event for me! I meant the movie though haha I went with the team cap sleeve.

I watched it for the first time since my cinema viewing yesterday. It's still so good.

Awesome! First time for me man, looking forward to it. If my kid behaves through homework I can watch through dinner, if he comes in looking to burn all bridges and drag us all down with him, I'll have to wait all the way til 8pm so fingers crossed.

Received some of my comics swag today, things just keep looking up. Decided I'd catch up on the superhero books with this batch, independent and mignola stuff next:

These were the ones I could get quick delivery. Still waiting on two more Thor OHCs, and of course the 2nd of 3 arrived first, because why not, The Vision, Old Man Logan & Omega Men

I too must now suffer the horror of HC Batgirl vol.1 sitting beside softcover Batgirl vol. 2

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
We have an 8 man league for Fantasy Football - if 2 more people join, we can go full 10 man!

Everyone good to go tonight @ 7:30 EST?

Who hasn't joined up from this list?

1) jon bones
2) Tragicomedy
3) TheFlow
4) KoruptData
5) Bii
6) RepairmanJack
7) Zombine
8) Brian Fellows
9) Mudcrab
10) BuddyJoeHooker

Owzers

I'm painting my wonder woman sword again....

And i read Sam Cap #3 which was OKAY but I don't think the series is matching the attention it got.

Is Goodreads solid enough to keep track of comics? Or should I stick to my tried and tested excel file?[/SPOILER]

I used Goodreads extensively while doing the 50/50 challenge the past few years, but I don't find it very conducive to tracking single issues for comics. It's decent for trades, but I feel you're almost putting in more work to track singles than any potential benefits.

Since I hopped into the 1K comic challenge mentioned a few months ago, I'm honestly just using Evernote to keep my list up to date. It's a simplified version of how I tracked stuff for the 50/50 thread. Here's my list for 2016.

Bear in mind, this doesn't track individual issues I've read, just total numbers. I use Comixology and MU's "read" categories for that. If you aren't digital, this won't work well. You'll probably need to stick to a spreadsheet or something if you read physical.

Tragicomedy - 736/1000 Comics

• A-Force - 2
  • Action Comics - 4
  • Afterlife with Archie - 3
  • All-New, All Different Avengers - 5
  • All-New Hawkeye - 4
  • All-New Inhumans - 1
  • All-New Wolverine - 6
  • All-Star Batman - 1
  • Amazing Spider-Man - 8
  • Annihilation: Conquest - 39
  • Ant-Man - 5
  • Aquaman - 4
  • Archer & Armstrong - 6
  • Archie - 5
  • Astonishing Ant-Man - 3
  • Avengers Standoff - 1
  • Batgirl - 2
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey - 2
  • Batman (Morrison) - 81
  • Batman (New 52) - 29
  • Batman (Rebirth) - 6
  • Bloodshot - 13
  • Blue Beetle (Rebirth) - 1
  • Captain America: Sam Wilson - 6
  • Captain Marvel - 2
  • Chrononauts - 4
  • Codename Babouska - 4
  • Daredevil - 2
  • Dark Knight III - 2
  • Deadly Class - 21
  • Deadpool - 6
  • Deathstroke - 1
  • DC Universe Rebirth - 1
  • Detective Comics - 6
  • Doctor Strange - 4
  • Extraordinary X-Men - 7
  • Fight Club 2 - 9
  • God Hates Astronauts - 10
  • Gotham Central - 37
  • Green Arrow - 6
  • Green Lantern (2005) - 10
  • Green Lanterns (Rebirth) - 1
  • Guardians of the Galaxy - 4
  • Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns Corps - 3
  • Harbinger - 15
  • Harbinger Wars - 4
  • Harley Quinn - 1
  • Harley Quinn and the Suicide Squad - 1
  • Hawkeye vs Deadpool - 4
  • Hellboy - 26
  • Huck - 6
  • I Hate Fairyland - 3
  • Invincible - 131
  • Invincible Iron Man - 5
  • Jughead - 3
  • Justice League (New 52) - 8
  • Justice League (Rebirth) - 2
  • Karnak - 1
  • Kill Or Be Killed - 1
  • Moon Knight - 6
  • New Super-Man - 1
  • Nightwing - 4
  • Old Man Logan - 1
  • Paper Girls - 8
  • Rocket Raccoon - 1
  • Silk - 2
  • Silver Surfer - 1
  • Snotgirl - 2
  • Southern Bastards - 14
  • Spider-Gwen - 5
  • Spider-Man 2099 - 1
  • Star Lord - 3
  • Star Wars - 8
  • Suicide Squad - 1
  • Superman - 6
  • Superwoman - 1
  • The Fix - 4
  • The Flash (New 52) - 15
  • The Flash (Rebirth) - 6
  • The Hellblazer Rebirth - 1
  • The New Frontier - 6
  • Titans - 2
  • TMNT - 25
  • Uncanny Inhumans - 2
  • We Stand On Guard - 6
  • Wonder Woman - 5
  • X-O Manowar - 14

I used Goodreads extensively while doing the 50/50 challenge the past few years, but I don't find it very conducive to tracking single issues for comics. It's decent for trades, but I feel you're almost putting in more work to track singles than any potential benefits.

Since I hopped into the 1K comic challenge mentioned a few months ago, I'm honestly just using Evernote to keep my list up to date. It's a simplified version of how I tracked stuff for the 50/50 thread. Here's my list for 2016.

What's the challenge sorry, is it to read 1000 single issues in the year?

Top Bottom