• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

What's the challenge sorry, is it to read 1000 single issues in the year?

Yep. I don't know where that one originated on the interweb, and I can't find the hub like the 50/50 website. I believe the Flow first mentioned it on here a few months ago, and I decided to go back and tally my year so far. I've been tracking ever since.

Unlike the 50/50 challenge, this happens fairly organically for me just hitting up MU and my DC/Image pull lists every week. You have to average just over 19 books a week to stay on track, so I'm almost a full month ahead.

Admittedly, it helps to pick a series of two sitting in your backlog that you can crush. Since I want to do that anyway, this has been some added motivation. The big ones for me this year were Invincible and Gotham Central. Next year, I'm crushing the entirety of Chew and The Walking Dead. Oh, and like a million issues of Hellboy.

In theory, you could subscribe to Scribd and do a Valiant-themed 1K challenge on the cheap. The only cost there is the eternal shame that follows.

Yep. I don't know where that one originated on the interweb, and I can't find the hub like the 50/50 website. I believe the Flow first mentioned it on here a few months ago, and I decided to go back and tally my year so far. I've been tracking ever since.

Started on CBR forums. I will actually hit 1000 this year, missed it the last couple of years.

VanWinkle

Received some of my comics swag today, things just keep looking up. Decided I'd catch up on the superhero books with this batch, independent and mignola stuff next:

These were the ones I could get quick delivery. Still waiting on two more Thor OHCs, and of course the 2nd of 3 arrived first, because why not, The Vision, Old Man Logan & Omega Men

I too must now suffer the horror of HC Batgirl vol.1 sitting beside softcover Batgirl vol. 2

What a great haul, Donnie.

Started on CBR forums. I will actually hit 1000 this year, missed it the last couple of years.

Makes sense. I only visit that site when one of you links to something ridiculous. Forums? Not even once.

i'm still waiting on your e-mail & Zombine's e-mail address

draft is tonight @ 7:30 EST !

On one hand, I could start preparation by researching undervalued, late round sleepers and projected breakout stars. On the other hand, LOL. I'm going to wing the shit out of this, and may Grodd have mercy on my soul.

Bii

Makes sense. I only visit that site when one of you links to something ridiculous. Forums? Not even once.

On one hand, I could start preparation by researching undervalued, late round sleepers and projected breakout stars. On the other hand, LOL. I'm going to wing the shit out of this, and may Grodd have mercy on my soul.

The only NFL players I even recognize are QBs and WRs. XD

I read issue #37 of Saga and, not gonna lie, I stared at the
erect penis
for who knows how long. It was beautiful.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
anyone talk to Zombine latley? need that last spot filled for a 10 man! 3 spots to do a 12 man league, but that seems like a longshot now.

Longshot-Marvel-Comics-X-Men.jpg

sent.

and yea I have a goal for the first couple of rounds, then I am winging it

sent you the invite

Messi

anyone talk to Zombine latley? need that last spot filled for a 10 man! 3 spots to do a 12 man league, but that seems like a longshot now.

sent you the invite

Zombeen is the biggest flake. His cat treated him like a bitch a few days ago. Showed him who was boss.

TheFlow

Banned
Spider-Man #4

Fuck GANKE! I have never been more pissed off at a fictional character until now. Like dude wtf.

Not only did he sell out his only best friend to impress someone, but he compared his struggles of being fat/asian to being Black and skinny. like wow. Bendis did a really great job of ruining this character. Moving on the action panels and dialog involving the missiles was fucking awesome.

5/5

Spider-Man #5
Miles is being put through the worst of luck(get it because of black cat..nvm lol) I liked the Jessica jones reference. I love how the villains hate Miles because he represents spidey. The dialog in this book is pretty great. there are two major bombs mentioned in this issue
Black cat might know about the secret wars
and Miles dad is a
ex-shield agent

5/5

Spider-Man #6
So this is where Civil War 2 invades Spider-man. honestly I agree with Tony Stark's viewpoint on the matter. Miles asking his dad for advice, and Jessica Jones were the highlights of this book. No action in this issue, but that is ok with me. The dialog is what makes this book

5/5

Spider-Man #7

Well damn shit is about to get real. Miles is legit losing it over the civil war situation. The bombshell chick is cool, but I don't know anything about her. The highlight of the book is
Luke and Jessica dropping in on him

5/5

all in all I think this is Bendis best joint atm.

Read Doctor Strange first. It's fabulous.

Haha I might, I'm locked into place with thor until the rest come.and most of the others I feel like doing reread first, Strange I can pick up and fire straight in.

Oh, and like a million issues of Hellboy..

Dude you should know that out this year especially if you do single issues. Hb in hell and abe have both wrapped up and he'll on earth is in the next month or so, it's a great time for it.

What a great haul, Donnie.

Haha cheers man this is how it goes for me. Nothing for a month or so, sometimes longer while all the series I read pile up new volumes but then I have a huge blow out. It's a great switch up after a busy game season or when all the good tv shows are off air for the year. In fact, I've read so much lately I've barely got into mankind divided yet, I'll need to skip some planned game purchases this month. And there's more to buy! My next basket is full already haha just waiting to get through these

Is Spider-man worth reading?

Hahahah flows coming for you with a questionnaire next brah, you've incurred the rage

Messi

Spider-Man #4

Fuck GANKE! I have never been more pissed off at a fictional character until now. Like dude wtf.

Not only did he sell out his only best friend to impress someone, but he compared his struggles of being fat/asian to being Black and skinny. like wow. Bendis did a really great job of ruining this character. Moving on the action panels and dialog involving the missiles was fucking awesome.

5/5

Spider-Man #5
Miles is being put through the worst of luck(get it because of black cat..nvm lol) I liked the Jessica jones reference. I love how the villains hate Miles because he represents spidey. The dialog in this book is pretty great. there are two major bombs mentioned in this issue
Black cat might know about the secret wars
and Miles dad is a
ex-shield agent

5/5

Spider-Man #6
So this is where Civil War 2 invades Spider-man. honestly I agree with Tony Stark's viewpoint on the matter. Miles asking his dad for advice, and Jessica Jones were the highlights of this book. No action in this issue, but that is ok with me. The dialog is what makes this book

5/5

Spider-Man #7

Well damn shit is about to get real. Miles is legit losing it over the civil war situation. The bombshell chick is cool, but I don't know anything about her. The highlight of the book is
Luke and Jessica dropping in on him

5/5

all in all I think this is Bendis best joint atm.

Bendis never ruined anything. Ganke was always a piece of shit. Since day one I've been saying it.

VanWinkle

Didn't realize I had $20 in B&N gift cards, so I scoped out what I could get for 40% off and $20 off. Ended up buying the JSA by Johns Omnibus Vol. 1 for...$32! So awesome. Now to complete what I'm WANTING for DC omnis (I don't have every single one), I need: JSA vol. 2 and 3, Gotham Central, and Death and Return of Superman. Not bad, not bad.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Haha I might, I'm locked into place with thor until the rest come.and most of the others I feel like doing reread first, Strange I can pick up and fire straight in.

It's so weird, too. A fun book. Just don't look at characters' hands to closely... seriously.

TheFlow

Banned
Vision #8

damn just when I was started to think they had a cool uncle..he turns out to be a
mole working on both sides in a way
. I love how King foreshadows and tells us what is going to happen.

shit is about to get real

4/5

Vision #9

Damn even though they are just robots,
Vin crying out for his mom was sad.
R.I.P

Also Victor's whole backstory and motives for what he has done was well fucking done. plus him having a drug addiction was a nice touch.

5/5

Vision #10

Oh man this book just hit full on Feels. Like damn. I think this is one of those issues that will be remembered for a while. Viv
praying for brother's soul to be at rest
and Vision watching
footage of his son

5/5
7686178464_fdc8ea66c7.jpg

Secret Warriors makes me want to go back and read previous SHIELD books

It's also kinda weird to read knowing the retcon of DumDum being an LMD this whole time

shingi70

Banned
Reading Batman, sheriff of Babylon and omega men does tom king have any thing else worth reading?

Did Darth Vader get delayed ?

It's also kinda weird to read knowing the retcon of DumDum being an LMD this whole time

Have you read bru's cap run? It's not exactly a shield book but shield weave in and out of it a fair bit, the book has heavy spy tones, although you won't get the same feel as a hickman book. It starts before then runs through the same time period and on of the marvel universe as secret warriors.

TheFlow

Banned
Power Man and Iron Fist #5

what a great fucking chapter. Full of great references and tons of funny moments. You can't read this book without smiling.

5/5

Power Man and iron Fist #6

I feel like this is another book where Civil war is done extremely well. Very serious take on what Luke and Danny are all about. Danny fighting the cops to protect the innocent was a stand out moment for me.

Also why is Jessica Jones hair light brown in this book but close to Black in Spider-Man?? The artist need to get together over stuff like this.

5/5

Power Man and Iron Fist #7

this is a great setup for what is about to happen. This book and Spider-Man is basically proven how Knowing the future can have bad consequences. I think we are about to see a superhero vs superhero fight next issue.

5/5

This is still in my top 3 marvel boooks

You'll never make it.

I read 800 pages of manga yesterday. He might be able to do 15 Marvel books.

Just post some original art for sale, I hear that's the best way to summon Zombeens.

Is Spider-man worth reading?

For sure. It's been pretty fun reading so far.

Let's not be hasty, now. Unless Johnathan Hickman's SHIELD is the book we're talking about.

Wow

Asshole

Jesus Christ, are you guys still stuck on that? I had no idea who he was. Time 2 get over it m8s.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Reading East of West... didn't really connect with the first few issues, but now... whoosh, I'm off to the races. Image books are killer books.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
If Zomb doesn't clock in, we need 1 brave soul to try their hand at Fantasy Football this year - it's free & it'll be a lot of fun!

Read the first issue of Dr Strange. Haven't had much of any time to sit down today since I got in, but I fit that in. What I love about this issue is, regardless of the larger story that Aaron has been seeding
interdimensional inquisition haha??
and themes that are being established, it proves that Strange is an interesting guy to be around. He's got a wit, a charm and he gets into wacky shit every day of the week. With that, the book could be about nothing but his 9-5 and when he clocks off for the weekend. Bachalo is a perfect match for some of the really creepy stuff the script throws out although it does get just a little busy at times where you need to sit for a second to parse what's on page. I particularly liked the imagery of the soulscape evoking the normal day to day objects around the families house and garden.

Aaron basically manages to fit the whole shebang in for a perfect first issue. Truthfully I haven't read alot of solo strange over the years so I don't know how new or different the characterisation is, but as a newcomer it's exciting.

TheFlow

Banned
Moon Knight #4

I have no idea what the fuck is going on. Jeff is doing a great job of making sure the readers stay confused. plus that ending panel!

4/5

Moon Knight #5

What the actually fuck. like seriously. this how the arc ends? like damn

I have no idea what this is/5

Top Bottom