• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Thing is, Marc isn't the most mentally healthy person. In Bendis' run, the people are the ones that help keep him in check: Echo and the Avengers. They give him a purpose. Even to a degree you could argue that the police that he works with in Ellis' run are the same. Granted, those are the only two runs on him I've ever read, but I think it works. Anyways, in this case, Khonshu is the one that gives him purpose and he's inadvertently killing off his past selves. Crawley gives himself up to the Boatman to allow them passage; Frenchie gets murdered in an attempt to hold off Seth's group and escape; Gena gives them a safe spot to rest and decides to remain there, fully aware that she probably won't survive; and Marlene disappears, as she absolutely refuses to acknowledge what's happening, so Marc pursues her. He's literally detaching himself from his human attachments in order to achieve peace. To complete himself, he's sacrificing his humanity, and also all his past identities before giving himself up to Khonshu completely. Cemented even further by even killing Moon Knight himself.

He killed every version of Marc Specter and Moon Knight possible, and all that's left is Khonshu. But he doesn't want to be Khonshu. He wants to be Marc, so he kills himself as Marc.

I had a lot of fun breaking down that issue.

This is a damn good write-up. I need to go re-read that arc right now to appreciate it some more.

--

Flow, love reading your impressions. As for Sam Wilson, I agree the Werewolf stuff is the weakest. The original (?) Civil War II tie in is pretty weak as well but the latest arc is probably my favorite so far.

Messi

I loved Cap Wolf. Misty was hilarious. My only problem is it bled into the next storyline for no reason so he is just sitting there as a wolf lol.

VanWinkle

Was there a Captain America run during Marvel NOW? I only follow Marvel by their OHC releases, but I'm surprised there are none for Cap during that time.

Ponn

Banned
I like Damian, but he's a complete mess. Different writers handle him so differently from one another and it makes it a mess to pin him down. He ranges from cocky little bastard to whiny brat, and everything in between. You're left with a Robin who is a 1%er douche in one scene, and a cow-loving Vegan in the next.

Also, I'm pretty sure he'd vote Trump if he could.

It's not much better but I think he would be more of a Gary Johnson type. I try not to fit political parties to comic characters though because I will just end up hating alot of characters I otherwise like.

Oh okay, I don't think I've ever heard of his run. Was it very well-regarded?

The general consensus is that it's an enjoyable sci-fi superhero book with lots of weirdness, but it's not really a definitive Cap book or anything. And because it came off of Brubaker's incredibly well-regarded book, some weren't fond of this taking a very different tonal shift.

However, I have not read it. This is just what I've gathered and generalized. I fully intend to check it out for myself, however.

VanWinkle

I thought it was great, especially the first arc.

The general consensus is that it's an enjoyable sci-fi superhero book with lots of weirdness, but it's not really a definitive Cap book or anything. And because it came off of Brubaker's incredibly well-regarded book, some weren't fond of this taking a very different tonal shift.

However, I have not read it. This is just what I've gathered and generalized. I fully intend to check it out for myself, however.

Interesting. Thanks guys.

2114774-gorgonvssecretwarriors3.jpg

tumblr_inline_o3bzuawpZ11sjqvo9_500.jpg

So fucking GOOD

I wouldn't equate Remender's work on Captain America with the madness he did with Franken-Castle, but both certainly push the boundaries (and credibility) for what's accepted by fans of those characters. I love both runs, but I imagine many fans of Cap didn't appreciate the crazy angle that Remender took.

I found it refreshing and emotionally devastating, all at once. But I typically love it when a writer takes a conventional hero with decades worth of stories and flips the script.

Brubaker's run on Cap is still better, mind you. But it's better than any Cap run in history, so there's that.

I wouldn't equate Remender's work on Captain America with the madness he did with Franken-Castle, but both certainly push the boundaries (and credibility) for what's accepted by fans of those characters. I love both runs, but I imagine many fans of Cap didn't appreciate the crazy angle that Remender took.

I found it refreshing and emotionally devastating, all at once. But I typically love it when a writer takes a conventional hero with decades worth of stories and flips the script.

Brubaker's run on Cap is still better, mind you. But it's better than any Cap run in history, so there's that.

His run will forever hold a special place in my heart. I was big into manga back then, just trying to get started with comics and while I read a few issues here and there of stuff that was interesting, nothing until his run really took hold of me and basically told me, "yea, you read Marvel now".

Owzers

I'm watching the Green Lantern movie on tv, i think I'm punishing myself for losing Overwatch games. I did okay in the game, but i still get the Green.

VanWinkle

I know the Infinity / Time Runs Out issues of both books were all pretty mandatory.

Yeah. I think I'll read them together whenever I end up deciding to buy them. There are three Avengers OHCs, two New Avengers OHC, and the Time Runs Out to finish them out. Also, like you said, Infinity, but it does a lot of double-dipping with the mainline OHCs so I'll probably just buy Infinity 1-6 digitally or something.

Ross61

I wasn't reading comics around the time of Idenity Crisis, but did people really care about Ralph and Sue Dibny before it happened?

Yeah. I think I'll read them together whenever I end up deciding to buy them. There are three Avengers OHCs, two New Avengers OHC, and the Time Runs Out to finish them out. Also, like you said, Infinity, but it does a lot of double-dipping with the mainline OHCs so I'll probably just buy Infinity 1-6 digitally or something.

The whole run is very interweaved. The premiere HCs only just navigated around the Infinity OHC without too much double dipping so I'm not surprised it's worse in bundles of 12. They really should have just collected the two series as one for the OHC format. If you really are determined you could just read new avengers alone, you just need to be after of other things, but it takes some of the fun out of it. IF you really want to go all the way there's the Spencer Avengers world stuff as well.

The Infinity Gauntlet book?

Yeah, I put it at #1 above every other tie-in.

Cool, I'll keep it in mind, I've yet to grab any of the secret wars series stuff. I only really had Thors & Weirdworld in mind before though.

His run will forever hold a special place in my heart. I was big into manga back then, just trying to get started with comics and while I read a few issues here and there of stuff that was interesting, nothing until his run really took hold of me and basically told me, "yea, you read Marvel now".

I REALLY didn't care for Remenders initial Cap run, the Romita jr. stuff. Really nothing to do with the content, I liked the idea of Cap as an Edgar Rice Burroughs story or whatever, but I found the writing extremely poor. Alongside the first volume of Uncanny Avengers, I think Remender was literally at a career low with this stuff. His break to do Image stuff was a great move for him.

Watched Civil War last night. Really great movie. I remember wondering how Civil War would work as a movie without the extended extended marveluniverse to draw from. What we got is MUCH better than the comic itself. It's still pretty fresh so it's hard to break it down, this is really just a few scattershot thoughts oppose to a real analysis, but I just think it's a really great relationship piece between all the avengers, the theme that runs through the movie and is bookended by
Zemo's plan reveal
is REALLY good. I just really like how they subvert your expectations of what his deal will be with the name they use. It's very on the nose, but it works, I really liked it. I also loved that they cribbed their own version of
Bru's multiple winter soldiers!
, did not see that coming. Lots of fun exciting moments. Probably the shakiest thing for me was Spiderman. Nothing against the kid or anything, it's just really weird seeing now the third major actor on the character in the last 15 years haha, will take some getting used to. I love that despite obviously modernising him as what kind of teenager he is, it's a VERY old school take with the
webs, and the spider signal! haha I marked for that
. Can I have a Winter Soldier movie now please haha? Panther was pretty epic, and I liked some of the weirder stuff with the vision haha. I'd like them to go full creep mode with that.

You're exactly right.
You fucking should be.
Shit's going down
I wasn't reading comics around the time of Idenity Crisis, but did people really care about Ralph and Sue Dibny before it happened?

Older readers did, since they were Silver Age characters. Also, something about a man with elasticity powers wrapping his arms around her corpse like a cartoon character seems pretty off-putting. Oh, then there's the sheer brutality of her death and the rape.

Man I don't want to read that book, but I keep seeing shit from it and I feel I have to just to know.

Jeez dumped out £50 on tsum tsums for girlfriend and the little guy over the last 24 hours. Guess those image books will be next week then haha. And I thought our hobby was expensive.

Watched Civil War last night. Really great movie. I remember wondering how Civil War would work as a movie without the extended extended marveluniverse to draw from. What we got is MUCH better than the comic itself. It's still pretty fresh so it's hard to break it down, this is really just a few scattershot thoughts oppose to a real analysis, but I just think it's a really great relationship piece between all the avengers, the theme that runs through the movie and is bookended by
Zemo's plan reveal
is REALLY good. I just really like how they subvert your expectations of what his deal will be with the name they use. It's very on the nose, but it works, I really liked it. I also loved that they cribbed their own version of
Bru's multiple winter soldiers!
, did not see that coming. Lots of fun exciting moments. Probably the shakiest thing for me was Spiderman. Nothing against the kid or anything, it's just really weird seeing now the third major actor on the character in the last 15 years haha, will take some getting used to. I love that despite obviously modernising him as what kind of teenager he is, it's a VERY old school take with the
webs, and the spider signal! haha I marked for that
. Can I have a Winter Soldier movie now please haha? Panther was pretty epic, and I liked some of the weirder stuff with the vision haha. I'd like them to go full creep mode with that.

Civil War was so damn good. It's such a good time to be a
Marvel
comic fan. Can't wait for Dr. Strange.

Older readers did, since they were Silver Age characters. Also, something about a man with elasticity powers wrapping his arms around her corpse like a cartoon character seems pretty off-putting. Oh, then there's the sheer brutality of her death and the rape.

Man I don't want to read that book, but I keep seeing shit from it and I feel I have to just to know.

God I hated so many parts of Identity Crisis, including how unnecessary entire parts of the story felt.

But it was stupid on top of stupid. Good god, Deathstroke
beating the entire Justice League so easily...

Fucking please.

Civil War was so damn good. It's such a good time to be a
Marvel
comic fan. Can't wait for Dr. Strange.

But it was stupid on top of stupid. Good god, Deathstroke
beating the entire Justice League so easily...

Fucking please.

Haha yes! Have you been reading the Strange book? Just started that last night, definitely sells you on how cool a guy Strange is, it's a good pitch for the movies.

Haha, hope you're looking forward to the justice league movie then....;)
Well who knows exactly what Affleck was teasing towards but still

Haha yes! Have you been reading the Strange book? Just started that last night, definitely sells you on how cool a guy Strange is, it's a good pitch for the movies.

Haha, hope you're looking forward to the justice league movie then....;)
Well who knows exactly what Affleck was teasing towards but still

Yea, the Strange book has been pretty good. However, while it is good, it feels quite far from what I thought a Strange book would be. Though that may just be the nature of the first arc.

And I have a lot of faith in Affleck. I have no faith in DC. So... I think those cancel each other out?

Yea, the Strange book has been pretty good. However, while it is good, it feels quite far from what I thought a Strange book would be. Though that may just be the nature of the first arc.

And I have a lot of faith in Affleck. I have no faith in DC. So... I think those cancel each other out?

If you go by his iron fist run, I bet Bru would have written a mean Dr Strange with more of an eastern mysticism feel (well i suppose i need to give due to Fraction as much there). I'll need to get back to you when I finish the trade, that's on today's list of things to do. I really liked the setup and it surprised me, although I'm not sure I really had any expectations for what it would be, it was more a purchase on faith of Aaron. It not necessarily how I would have assumed after reading alot of Strange in Hickman's or even Bendis' new avengers/illuminati stuff.

Haha Affleck is the man, although if you judge by gone baby gone or the town, everyone in Gotham will be sporting a Boston accent hahah

Also, JLA editor Andy Khouri confirmed JLA will be bi-weekly.

Of course it will be. gotta get that $6/month. DC said they were better than Marvel, but THEY LIED.

Also, I may be getting rid of WW soon. Or at least this boring-ass origin arc.

Jeez dumped out £50 on tsum tsums for girlfriend and the little guy over the last 24 hours. Guess those image books will be next week then haha. And I thought our hobby was expensive.

Man, I don't get those things at all. Have you been reading Marvel's Tsum Tsum mini?

East of West, #29 (4 Stars)
The way
some of the hunters were taken care of made them look really weak and pathetic.
Otherwise, a solid ending to year two. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Astonishing Ant-Man, #11 (4 Stars)
There was an unnecessary recap at the beginning of this issue but overall, it was a good conclusion to the long arc. Wrapped up everything pretty nicely while setting up the next one, which seems like it could be hilarious.

Ms. Marvel, #10 (2 Stars)
Not a good issue. I hate how Civil War II has ruined this book. It's laughable that Kamala tries to have this sort of moral high ground despite the shit that she just pulled and continues to do for Carol. Entire issue feels tone-deaf.

Guardians of the Galaxy, #11 (2 Stars)
An entire issue where not much happens. Aside from a couple of characters, the team feels like they have no voice. Not sure why I stuck around so long, dropped.

Spider-Man, #7 (5 Stars)
What a great issue. I'm really liking the focus on Miles' family and can't wait to see it all come to a head. Danke sucks. He's like that terrible friend you have that you want to ditch but can't because he has no other friends and you feel bad for him.

Silver Surfer, #6 (5 Stars)
I love the 60s/70s feel of this comic but the conflicts have always been a bit lacking due to it. This issue was one of the better ones however because of how dark it was underneath and especially that ending.

Donnie, worry not, I'm starting Scalped soon =P

Astonishing Ant-Man#11
There was an unnecessary recap at the beginning of this issue but overall, it was a good conclusion to the long arc. Wrapped up everything pretty nicely while setting up the next one, which seems like it could be hilarious.
Isn't the book cancelled and ends at #13 IIRC?

Top Bottom