• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

arkon

So there's a New X-men omnibus out today, and I've been waiting on that to replace the trades that I got last year that were such crap and literally falling apart that I found them straight up unacceptable. Does anyone know if this omnibus is fine/doesn't have any major issues, or at least a place where I can find info on that? I'm extra concerned just because I planning on spending this money solely to have a nicer version, so I want to make sure I am indeed upgrading to something acceptable before I pull the trigger...

Your best is probably the CBR collected editions forum or the Marvel Masterworks forum.

I feel like saying WW is 2 distinct stories is a little premature. They seem to be two ends of the same problem. WW can't get back to Themiscara (probably not spelled right) so we see her first leaving it and trying to get back to it. Now it seems to be trying to show that what's his name is important at both ends. We're not even done with one arc yet i just think it's hard to say they're distinct yet when it's from the same writer working with the same character concurrently.

The Image love in here has finally worn off on me. Been meaning to get into those books for a while.

giphy.gif

VanWinkle

So there's a New X-men omnibus out today, and I've been waiting on that to replace the trades that I got last year that were such crap and literally falling apart that I found them straight up unacceptable. Does anyone know if this omnibus is fine/doesn't have any major issues, or at least a place where I can find info on that? I'm extra concerned just because I planning on spending this money solely to have a nicer version, so I want to make sure I am indeed upgrading to something acceptable before I pull the trigger...

Shouldn't be any different than other recent Marvel omnis which are good quality.

hmm...

Oh shit, sorry jon bones. That was bad timing on my part.

I would say wait for a bit for people to post pictures/reviews. Marvel has been cheapening out on the paper. e.g., the old FF omnibus has so much better paper than the new one.

Maybe you can find a used copy of the old one on eBay?

MC Safety

Someone here recommended the new Scooby-Doo comics. I was hesitant to buy them because Giffen and DeMatteis (the writers) tend to be overly jokey and not in any sort of good way.

Anyway, I am too lazy to hunt down the person or persons who vouched for these books. I bought issues #1-#4 and the first one was great. I'm excited to get further into the story.

So, thanks for the recommendation. I'm sure you can sort out who it was among yourselves.

X-Men '92 #6
This was pretty fun. Bishop playing security is hilarious. Also,
I love 90's Abigail Brand.
The best.

Power Man and Iron Fist #7
aoG03rJ.gif

Action Comics #962
Yeah we're done. This book has failed to keep my attention. This book decided that SuperLex, human Clark Kent, and Oz are apparently not interesting enough plot threads to maintain a book that has just spent it's first five issues (including the Rebirth) in a fight that is so poorly paced that only Toei Animation would be jealous of how they managed to somehow make it even slower. This entire first arc was about three issues far too long. And while the next issue is apparently focused on human Clark, we're done. I'll just stick with Superman and Supergirl for my Superfix now (I've had no interest in Nuperman or SuperLois).

Blue Beetle Rebirth #1
This was a lot of fun, but it didn't really draw me in. I enjoyed it, but I'm not too terribly interested in following these characters as they are. I'll trade wait on this.

I've also decided that I'm going to drop Deathstroke and Uncanny X-Men. Neither of them are worth the money, so I'm done. I've been trying to stick with all the X-books, but I can't deal with that one anymore. It's boring as fuck, and just plain bad comics. Bunn is doing a far better job with the CW2 mini than his own series. Deathstroke was simply unenjoyable, and not because the MC is a villain and intended to be evil, but because it was literally unpleasant to read. Didn't like it, so I'm done.
hmm...

Oh shit, sorry jon bones. That was bad timing on my part.
?

I'm confused

VanWinkle

Someone here recommended the new Scooby-Doo comics. I was hesitant to buy them because Giffen and DeMatteis (the writers) tend to be overly jokey and not in any sort of good way.

Anyway, I am too lazy to hunt down the person or persons who vouched for these books. I bought issues #1-#4 and the first one was great. I'm excited to get further into the story.

So, thanks for the recommendation. I'm sure you can sort out who it was among yourselves.

I don't know if it's freezasaurus or not but I know he's been enjoying the Hanna-Barbara stuff. I'm looking forward to picking them up when they release in trade format.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dude. Literally breaks my heart that you may never be able to play the first three.

I remember picking up 2048 mostly on a whim, so that I would have something to play on Vita besides shrunk down Uncharted, and then basically played nothing but that for the next two months. Probably one of my proudest Platinum trophies.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I've also decided that I'm going to drop ... Uncanny X-Men. Neither of them are worth the money, so I'm done. I've been trying to stick with all the X-books, but I can't deal with that one anymore. It's boring as fuck, and just plain bad comics.

I loathe that book. The Psylocke/Magneto dynamic is glacial paced, recursive, and inscrutable. Once Civil War II X-Men #4 comes out, I'm off X books for a good while.

I loathe that book. The Psylocke/Magneto dynamic is glacial paced, recursive, and inscrutable. Once Civil War II X-Men #4 comes out, I'm off X books for a good while.

I've been contemplating dropping it since about the third or fourth issue, but the artist change kept me locked in. However, Lashley's art was offset by Bunn going full stupid and writing pure nonsense. Then, Land comes back. I'm fucking done. If these are the tradeoffs I have to deal with, then I'm fucking done. I'll come back once someone else takes that book in both art and writing.

Sandfox

Zdarsky: Well, like I said, I have Star-Lord coming up with Kris Anka, which is shaping up to be super fun and at least 10% sexier than Howard the Duck. Working ahead on Sex Criminals and a new series I’m co-writing with Matt for Annie Wu to illustrate.
Well then.

I'm really sad about that because I didn't discover how great Wipeout was until the Vita game. I went back to HD/Fury, but knowing that there probably won't be another one (at least for a long while) is a bummer.

Haha I would settle for HD/Fury man but I got rid of my PS3 before they announced the closure, so no way to play them properly :( it seemed like a safe bet there would be ps4 game. I know you can import most the content into the vita game, but lets face it, the vita controls just don't hold up that well in comparison. Rolls etc are a pain in the ass. (as much as I love my vita). Just sitting doing zone mode <3

Well then.

Mmm. Fraction/Annie Wu. That could be reaaally interesting.

Champion interview with Waid and Breevort: http://www.cbr.com/live-champions-waid-brevoort-talk-marvels-next-big-thing/

So far the book sounds and looks like something I will enjoy.

I really like that cover for #3. I miiight check htis out. Still need to give ANAD avengers a shot.

TheFlow

Banned
X-Men '92 #6
This was pretty fun. Bishop playing security is hilarious. Also,
I love 90's Abigail Brand.
The best.

Power Man and Iron Fist #11
aoG03rJ.gif

Action Comics #962
Yeah we're done. This book has failed to keep my attention. This book decided that SuperLex, human Clark Kent, and Oz are apparently not interesting enough plot threads to maintain a book that has just spent it's first five issues (including the Rebirth) in a fight that is so poorly paced that only Toei Animation would be jealous of how they managed to somehow make it even slower. This entire first arc was about three issues far too long. And while the next issue is apparently focused on human Clark, we're done. I'll just stick with Superman and Supergirl for my Superfix now (I've had no interest in Nuperman or SuperLois).

Blue Beetle Rebirth #1
This was a lot of fun, but it didn't really draw me in. I enjoyed it, but I'm not too terribly interested in following these characters as they are. I'll trade wait on this.

I've also decided that I'm going to drop Deathstroke and Uncanny X-Men. Neither of them are worth the money, so I'm done. I've been trying to stick with all the X-books, but I can't deal with that one anymore. It's boring as fuck, and just plain bad comics. Bunn is doing a far better job with the CW2 mini than his own series. Deathstroke was simply unenjoyable, and not because the MC is a villain and intended to be evil, but because it was literally unpleasant to read. Didn't like it, so I'm done.

I'm confused
Wait #11? Don't you mean #7 I think for power man and iron fist

I see some derision online about the series. Wasn't here while it was coming out. Let me ask.

Did we have any fans of Kaare Andrews' Iron Fist series, the living weapon?

Sandfox

I see some derision online about the series. Wasn't here while it was coming out. Let me ask.

I think a lot of people had an issue with how serious the series was. I'm curious to see how he writes the new book because from what I heard that started to go away at the end.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I've been contemplating dropping it since about the third or fourth issue, but the artist change kept me locked in. However, Lashley's art was offset by Bunn going full stupid and writing pure nonsense. Then, Land comes back. I'm fucking done. If these are the tradeoffs I have to deal with, then I'm fucking done. I'll come back once someone else takes that book in both art and writing.

It's gonna take some really special peeps to bring me back to it.

If value a fan of strong dialog, great characterizations, clear effective storytelling, snazzy/beautiful artwork, and a story that puts from a compelling history to commentate on the present, make sure you do NOT read Kaare Andrews' Iron Fist because its shit.

Instead, read Fraction/Brubaker/Aja's Immortal Iron Fist again.

I think a lot of people had an issue with how serious the series was. I'm curious to see how he writes the new book because from what I heard that started to go away at the end.

Yea, I can see that. I'm a huge fan of Fraction/Bru's run, obviously the current run shows the swing in tone Danny's character can handle and in general I agree his character is usually more lighthearted.

That said, I REALLY liked the living weapon for what it was. I pretty much liked everything about it, especially the art. It was morbidly serious but majorly over the top so it was just this glorious thing. Basically like BvS but even more incredible fight scenes. Reaaally looking forward to Iron Fists, & Renato Jones.

So just wondering really, since I saw P-man & Iron Fist mentioned. I think I have really good ta-

If value a fan of strong dialog, great characterizations, clear effective storytelling, snazzy/beautiful artwork, and a story that puts from a compelling history to commentate on the present, make sure you do NOT read Kaare Andrews' Iron Fist because its shit.

image.php

.........God Damn it.

I don't know if it's freezasaurus or not but I know he's been enjoying the Hanna-Barbara stuff. I'm looking forward to picking them up when they release in trade format.

I've been reading some of it. Flintstones is excellent, as is Future Quest. Wacky Raceland was okay, but didn't hold my interest. I haven't checked out Scooby Apocalypse at all.

This. Such a great run. Although this particular volume did carry on for two more trades after this team left the book.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, I can see that. I'm a huge fan of Fraction/Bru's run, obviously the current run shows the swing in tone Danny's character can handle and in general I agree his character is usually more lighthearted.

That said, I REALLY liked the living weapon for what it was. I pretty much liked everything about it, especially the art. It was morbidly serious but majorly over the top so it was just this glorious thing. Basically like BvS but even more incredible fight scenes. Reaaally looking forward to Iron Fists, & Renato Jones.

So just wondering really, since I saw P-man & Iron Fist mentioned. I think I have really good ta-

image.php

.........God Damn it.

My issue with it wasn't that it was "serious" it was in Andrews' childish definition of serious. It's all moping after sex and death for the sake of death. Such a terrible book.

My issue with it wasn't that it was "serious" it was in Andrews' childish definition of serious. It's all moping after sex and death for the sake of death. Such a terrible book.

This is what I was getting at with morbidly serious though. Like exactly, the part where he's starin gout the window, the sex scene, the teethbrushing, all the same expression. And then all the heinous shit that happens mixed in. This is why it's such a terrible....y great book :D

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
This is what I was getting at with morbidly serious though. Like exactly, the part where he's starin gout the window, the sex scene, the teethbrushing, all the same expression. And then all the heinous shit that happens mixed in. This is why it's such a terrible....y great book :D

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it at least. I'm just hoping that the show completely and totally ignores it when it comes to tone and to Danny's character.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it at least. I'm just hoping that the show completely and totally ignores it when it comes to tone and to Danny's character.

Hahah. I think I just love stuff that reaches that perfect storm of grimdark and flambouncy all while taking itself utterly serious. I can't help but root for it in a hilarious way.

That said, I agree, to be honest I think the Fraction/Bru stuff is the perfect template for the show. I don't think you need to worry either, the cast they have, I think a true to the books Danny will bring some variety to the team, when they defender up.

Top Bottom