• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Bane

I loved the moment between Bruce and Gotham Girl in Batman this week but it sucked getting the villain reveal only to have to wait through Monster men to see it pay off.

Haha oh dear @ the Trump stuff. I'm sure it'll be on tv over here a bit more as the world descends into mass hysteria and the ogdru hem begin to walk the earth.

In fact there's it is, when Trump is elected, you read:

GY7238.jpg

Next King book I'm reading continues the theme of abuse on from the last novel. I can only take so much of that each day, so it's onto some comics. Worked my way through Dr. Strange (everyone is reading this, right?) & Spider Gwen already. Coin toss between Extraordinary X-men & Black Canary next. The rest require (well, I want to do) rereads & still locked on Thor until those other volumes show up.

Apparently the first Marvel comic by a black female writer is out today(one of the Infinite comics).

What, ever? Or of this new batch?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Superman remains my favorite comic of all of DC Rebirth. I just love the father son angle and the Gleason/Tomasi combo.

You best bet that Krypto came back.

Also, my problem with Jughead before was definitely Zdarsky's writing. Ryan North was a big improvement. And he still has his bottom margin jokes.

So, because of talk about it earlier in the thread and my lack of other comics right now, I've decided to reread Bendis' Moon Knight. I just remembered that nothing of importance happens during this run save for Echo being killed.

Oh well it's still fun

Oh well it's still fun

Always wanted to read that one. At the time I still kind of cared about Scarlet coming back out, so I figured if there was something holding it up, I should at least read it...then I didn't.

I went with Extraordinary X-Men. #1 is fine. Very much an assemble the team issue while laying out the current status quo for the x-men (they're going extinct again). Fine enough for a set-up issue

Always wanted to read that one. At the time I still kind of cared about Scarlet coming back out, so I figured if there was something holding it up, I should at least read it...then I didn't.

I went with Extraordinary X-Men. #1 is fine. Very much an assemble the team issue while laying out the current status quo for the x-men (they're going extinct again). Fine enough for a set-up issue
EXM's early arc is shaky. A couple strong issues mixed in with a couple not so strong ones. Then Weirdworld happens, which is dandy. Then Omega World happens and shit gets real
9cvaWH7.png

She came back in the recent Daredevil Annual.
I know but have they explained how, yet?

EXM's early arc is shaky. A couple strong issues mixed in with a couple not so strong ones. Then Weirdworld happens, which is dandy. Then Omega World happens and shit gets real

I know but have they explained how, yet?

I'm definitely enjoying some elements, most of the characterisations seem on point, there's just some stuff thrown in though that ckmes off a little poorly plotted or unfocused though. I understand they've left some out for death of x, but outside of just making assumptions there's no explanation for what m-pox is, I'm not sure if that's a new thing, or what any of the enemies are called that go after nightcrawler , I'm not sure if they are supposed to be new or not
although I just got the Sinister reveal

So it's a little ropey there but I'm pretty excited for Old Logan face to face with young Jean, that feels like a new spin on an old coupling that there's potential for. I like how Magick has been written so far too. I knew what I was getting into with this though after reading all of the impressions on the series in here. For Lemire and gonig off what you guys have said in the more recent issues, I'm happy to give it a little longer than normal, especially if I'm reading OML alongside.

Owzers

Wii U is kinda dead, 3ds is kinda dead. IOS gets a new runner game.

What a time to be a gamer.

edit: What happens if you use rubbing alcohol on statue paint?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Picross 3D 2 is dope AF

almost time of the year for Luigi's Mansion 2

Mario Maker portable

i kinda like my 3DS

Soule: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The man writes good cape comics, so I'll let him be. Even if DD is bad and DD/Punisher was also terrible.
I'm definitely enjoying some elements, most of the characterisations seem on point, there's just some stuff thrown in though that ckmes off a little poorly plotted or unfocused though. I understand they've left some out for death of x, but outside of just making assumptions there's no explanation for what m-pox is, I'm not sure if that's a new thing, or what any of the enemies are called that go after nightcrawler , I'm not sure if they are supposed to be new or not

So it's a little ropey there but I'm pretty excited for Old Logan face to face with young Jean, that feels like a new spin on an old coupling that there's potential for. I like how Magick has been written so far too. I knew what I was getting into with this though after reading all of the impressions on the series in here. For Lemire and gonig off what you guys have said in the more recent issues, I'm happy to give it a little longer than normal, especially if I'm reading OML alongside.

Yeah it gets progressively better as it goes along.

I like OML but EXM is truly dreadful.

Owzers

I got to a few set pieces in uncharted 4 i liked but the combat feels very unfriendly. I don't like the stealth, people seem to see you from far across the map, and as soon as you shoot everyone who is alive has pinpoint accuracy on you all at once. Very odd feel, there's something going on here.

I got to a few set pieces in uncharted 4 i liked but the combat feels very unfriendly. I don't like the stealth, people seem to see you from far across the map, and as soon as you shoot everyone who is alive has pinpoint accuracy on you all at once. Very odd feel, there's something going on here.

I feel like it works as a stealth game only with stealth til you're spotted then go ape shit on guys. It works a bit better like that. I think you can disappear again after being spotted but they don't really follow patterns the right way after that to continue being stealth so you're as well firing in at that point

I just read Gotham by Gaslight.

Pretty cool story. I haven't read much Batman, though. Mostly just cross-overs and my favorite, The Doom that Came to Gotham.

Just started Paper Girls. I didn't have expectations going in, as I didn't know what it was about. I'm glad that's the case, because I'm finding it very cool so far.

I've also got an unrelated question about significant others and comics. I assume some of your SOs read some comics too. Do you ever read comics WITH them? First my girlfriend and I would read Saga TPBs as they came out separately. But with the last one, we tried actually reading it together at the same time. Was kind of awkward trying to sync reading speeds and make sure we could see both the pages without bending the book open. Less awkward with digital, of course. Was just wondering how that stuff is handled by any of you relevant parties.

I just read Gotham by Gaslight.

Pretty cool story. I haven't read much Batman, though. Mostly just cross-overs and my favorite, The Doom that Came to Gotham.

I've also got an unrelated question about significant others and comics. I assume some of your SOs read some comics too. Do you ever read comics WITH them? First my girlfriend and I would read Saga TPBs as they came out separately. But with the last one, we tried actually reading it together at the same time. Was kind of awkward trying to sync reading speeds and make sure we could see both the pages without bending the book open. Less awkward with digital, of course. Was just wondering how that stuff is handled by any of you relevant parties.

Mignola <3

Haha No! We have never tried to do that. Thats kind of hilarious lol. For the few books we both read we will do one of us reading it one evening, the other the next so then we end up discussing it and dissecting it for a few days but those are few and far between now.

I mean, if your going for a straightforward adaptation of Iron Fist and wanted Danny to have some grit I guess you would choose that recent run.

Lava won't be happy though. I was getting the shame vibes for liking it last night (not a dig on you lava mang, I understand a lot of people were rubbed up by it)

Nightcrawler? Grim and tailless? Get out.
New X-Men class? Not fun? Stop writing X-Men comics, please.
Some rando mutant whose powers are like...creating...monsters or some shit? Leave, now.
Forge gets two scenes per arc? Gimme your laptop, right now. >breaks that laptop<
Grim Nightcrawler is, admittedly, offputting, but I really like the whole "holy knight" design they're going with. The current new mutants are a blast. Sapna's power is cool and her story arc is pretty interesting, if a bit familiar. And when was the last time you gave a fuck about Forge?

As I said, the book is getting better, and while it isn't as good as Lemire's other Marvel ongoings -- Old Man Logan and Moon Knight are top tier -- I think it has a lot of potential and it's definitely getting better as it goes on. But will it ever touch the greats? Nah. It's serviceable. Certainly better than Uncanny and All-New ongoing right now. It's one of my most enjoyed ongoings right now, though.
Megan Nicole Dong should be the next writer and artist on Squirrel Girl.
ANIME!

Lava won't be happy though. I was getting the shame vibes for liking it last night (not a dig on you lava mang, I understand a lot of people were rubbed up by it)
The story does take an interesting turn towards the end with the little girl and her dragon but it's not a run that showcases Danny's personality. Immortal Iron Fist is still the best take on the character.

The story does take an interesting turn towards the end with the little girl and her dragon but it's not a run that showcases Danny's personality. Immortal Iron Fist is still the best take on the character.

In total agreement! Immortal is god tier stuff though. I need some Aja art in my life again. Have you saw the iron fists book marvel have coming down the life? Good times. And I still haven't even read the current book by Walker. No experience with him but a bunch of you seem to dig it.

Top Bottom