• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

I have made some horrible decisions in my life.

She isn't underage right? She is a teacher ffs.

I'm pretty sure she's not. She was in the old-school comics, but not now. Worst-case scenario, you can always use the ageless demon / 10,000 year-old dragon defense.

ElNarez

Banned
Pretty sure Illyana is only 16 or 17, her aging process was all fucked up due to her time in Limbo and as Darkchilde.

what the heck is this anime-as-fuck backstory doing in the lord's american comic book thread goddamn otaku sex perverts and their stories about perpetually underage teens

Boogiepop

So I'm starting Simonson Thor on Comixology, and I've only read like 3 pages before coming here to ask: man, how long has it been since the Donald Blake with his walking stick was a thing? It feels weird to actually see it in a comic that doesn't date back to the origin of the character...

Like, did that pop up at all in anything even semi-modern, or has he stuck to all Thor, all the time for the most part?

Pretty sure Illyana is only 16 or 17, her aging process was all fucked up due to her time in Limbo and as Darkchilde.

Uncanny X-Men #160, its canon. Alongside evil Nightcrawler trying to feel up teenage Kitty

latest

Illyana has to be at least 18 at this point. Kitty was 16 when she joined the X-Men. Illyana popped out of Limbo at 16, didn't she? And Kitty's in her 20's by now, and her and Illyana are besties and roughly around the same age.

Savitar

Isn't it actually not Illyana? A demon who has some of her aspect or whatever that is part of her and everyone has kind of forgot that and basically treat her as if she is Illyana? I had thought that was the case.

Isn't it actually not Illyana? A demon who has some of her aspect or whatever that is part of her and everyone has kind of forgot that and basically treat her as if she is Illyana? I had thought that was the case.
Darkchylde is part of Illyana, I thought. Just a demonic part of her that can be unlocked thanks to that Limbo fuckery

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh those hardcovers show up for me now on the app, they have their own banner, they dont show as new releases weird.

Any other besides Rage worth reading?

Hey Messi, I finally bought the first Uncanny OHC. It looks great. Can't wait to get the next one so I finally have the ANXM and UXM annuals printed in a collected edition.

Savitar

Darkchylde is part of Illyana, I thought. Just a demonic part of her that can be unlocked thanks to that Limbo fuckery

When I was reading years ago I got the distinct impression the demon was part of an echo left behind by Illyana, hence looking and sounding like her but not even remotely her.

Illyana has to be at least 18 at this point. Kitty was 16 when she joined the X-Men. Illyana popped out of Limbo at 16, didn't she? And Kitty's in her 20's by now, and her and Illyana are besties and roughly around the same age.

LOL That still doesn't make it better.

First PS4 Pro is destroying Game GAF now this.

I have yet to actually read Glitterbomb yet. Didn't buy it, but it's sitting in my pullbox and I skimmed it. Not the book I expected given the name, so I'n certainly excited. Especially because the name is sick

tim1138

Baby got hoof.

Wasn't there some silly thing about Arisia from GL?

Yeah, her using her ring to age herself up so she could be a love interest for Hal.

Nah, Illyana was 13 when she left Limbo.

When I was reading years ago I got the distinct impression the demon was part of an echo left behind by Illyana, hence looking and sounding like her but not even remotely her.
I don't know.
LOL That still doesn't make it better.
Makes it a little better...

Bought it. Downloaded it. Will read it in a bit. I'll report back.
I'm counting on you
Nah, Illyana was 13 when she left Limbo.
Well...shit

Malyse

Why the fuck is DC continuity such a god damned mess? So, Superman died? And the world with a dead Superman is where New Superman, Superwoman, and Supergirl is happening? But there's also a Superman comic where he is clearly not dead at all? Plus, like the backstories for a lot of my faves (Misfit, Spoiler, Cassandra Cain) apparently is wholly gone now? Apparently there are two (at least) parallel continuities? So does that mean the Harley in Suicide Squad isn't the Harley in Harley Quinn? I need a character map. And Venn Diagrams.

TheFlow

Banned
Why the fuck is DC continuity such a god damned mess? So, Superman died? And the world with a dead Superman is where New Superman, Superwoman, and Supergirl is happening? But there's also a Superman comic where he is clearly not dead at all? Plus, like the backstories for a lot of my faves (Misfit, Spoiler, Cassandra Cain) apparently is wholly gone now? Apparently there are two (at least) parallel continuities? So does that mean the Harley in Suicide Squad isn't the Harley in Harley Quinn? I need a character map. And Venn Diagrams.
1. Don't overthink
2. Enjoy

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

Not the same Superman as the one that died.

Ross61

Yes. New 52 Superman died. Yes there is a Chinese Super-Man, Superwoman, Supergirl. Yes there is another "Superman from the Post Crisis" universe. Yes, due to the 10 years lost a lot of back stories were changed. There are 52 known universes, this is covered in Multiversity. Harley and Suicide Squad don't happen at the same time.

New 52 Superman is dead. The Clark and Lois that are ongoing right now are the pre-New 52 versions that snuck in during Convergence (multiversal bullshit it's terrible don't read it). When New 52 Supes died, other people gained powers (New 52 Lois and Kong) and took up his mantle (Lex Luthor). The big mystery now is why there is a seemingly depowered Clark Kent running around, since New 52 Supes had been publicly outed as being Clark Kent.

Hopefully that simplifies it a little bit.

Also I'm thinking that the theory of Oz being pre-Flashpoint Lex is wrong, based on what he said in the most recent Action Comics.
I would read it.
Who wouldn't? Like ANAD Avengers Annual where it's short stories that are from different perspectives at different times during the party.
Yes. New 52 Superman died. Yes there is a Chinese Super-Man, Superwoman, Supergirl. Yes there is another "Superman from the Post Crisis" universe. Yes, due to the 10 years lost a lot of back stories were changed. There are 52 known universes, this is covered in Multiversity. Harley and Suicide Squad don't happen at the same time.
Convergence brought back Infinite Earths

Glitterbomb #1 - 37 pages. It seems like there's an interesting foundation of a story here, but Zub hasn't given us a whole lot of meat yet. We get a bare-bones introduction to the main character and a scene or two conveying her situation in life. Then we get to the gimmick, I guess, of the book. It's similar to a certain plot-element from ComicGAF's beloved series Monstress, but introduced in a rushed and two-dimensional way. There's nothing about it that invokes my curiosity. This comic definitely doesn't grab you from the start like Wayward, and the muted color palette doesn't do it any favors in that regard, either. 3-issue rule will apply here. I like Zub, and I want to like this book. But I haven't been given a reason to yet.

Messi

Glitterbomb #1 - 37 pages. It seems like there's an interesting foundation of a story here, but Zub hasn't given us a whole lot of meat yet. We get a bare-bones introduction to the main character and a scene or two conveying her situation in life. Then we get to the gimmick, I guess, of the book. It's similar to a certain plot-element from ComicGAF's beloved series Monstress, but introduced in a rushed and two-dimensional way. There's nothing about it that invokes my curiosity. This comic definitely doesn't grab you from the start like Wayward, and the muted color palette doesn't do it any favors in that regard, either. 3-issue rule will apply here. I like Zub, and I want to like this book. But I haven't been given a reason to yet.

I honestly felt like Monstress was all style no substance and that Wayward took a while to become interesting.

Top Bottom