• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

I honestly felt like Monstress was all style no substance and that Wayward took a while to become interesting.

Wayward took more than one issue to really find its groove, but I was still interested in continuing with the story by the end of #1. Glitterbomb doesn't really give you much.

In regards to Monstress, you would be wrong. ;)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Glitterbomb #1 - 37 pages. It seems like there's an interesting foundation of a story here, but Zub hasn't given us a whole lot of meat yet. We get a bare-bones introduction to the main character and a scene or two conveying her situation in life. Then we get to the gimmick, I guess, of the book. It's similar to a certain plot-element from ComicGAF's beloved series Monstress, but introduced in a rushed and two-dimensional way. There's nothing about it that invokes my curiosity. This comic definitely doesn't grab you from the start like Wayward, and the muted color palette doesn't do it any favors in that regard, either. 3-issue rule will apply here. I like Zub, and I want to like this book. But I haven't been given a reason to yet.

I just finished it myself and I'd say this is pretty spot on. It definitely has some work to do to earn a sub.

Do we talk about webcomics here too?

I've been shown some interesting ones, but I like to read either paper or fullscreen on a 9.5" tablet. Some of these look like the pages would look great on a device like that, but are on a website with a bunch of "border," resulting in having to scroll down.

Basically, I'm kind of whiny. Any solutions?

Sandfox

I really liked ANAD Avengers and it makes me want to read more about Nadia. She has been gold in every appearance so far. This issue was actually co-written by the guy who will be writing Nadia's ongoing, with this and his past work making me excited for that book.

mreddie

ANAD Avengers
0RTmzkx.gif

Moon Knight
giphy.gif

Silk
Eh.

Supergirl was good but oof at that art. like they only had roughs for some panels and just colored over them

Enjoyed Cyborg though, for a comic starring Cyborg

Owzers

This Commander in Chief forum, i wasn't prepared for Trump to be this idiotic but i should have.

Dammit comics-gaf, i should have.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rage of Ultron was pretty good. Weird line up as its a weird mash up of Avengers and Uncanny Avengers but I liked it.

Ross61

Gurihiru on art.

----

Me being this confused makes me question how good a jumping on point Rebirth actually is. I'm basically coming in cold and I'm virtually lost without the explanations given here.
I mostly stuck to Batman and Justice League during New 52 except for a few runs and I readjusted to Rebirth fine. Seems some are finding it harder than others.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Avengers Endless Wartime
Amazing Spider-Man Family Business
X-Men No More Humans
Thanos Infinity Relativity
Thanos Infinity Revelation

Which of these other graphic novels on MU are good? How would you rank them?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So much stupid going on in this weeks Walking Dead. Rick and Dwight might be the two dumbest motherfuckers in any comic book universe.

Aizo

Banned
The worst part of the month is when I finish the new issue of Giant Days and realize I have to wait another month until the next one.

This issue had many great quotes, like always.
The most poignant of quotes was probably "Don't worry, I feel like our biggest mistakes... are still to come."

Here's to the upcoming second year!!

My enjoyment of UXM has dropped quite a bit ever since NM started. Lots of obnoxious crossover between the two and it's difficult to figure out what issues occur in what order. I know the dates on MU aren't accurate but I guess Claremont didn't give a fuck about the timeline between issues, like you'll have something in NM apparently happen after something that doesn't happen in UXM until two issues in the future or whatever. And there's also crossover with other stuff happening in the marvel universe that I don't care about (wraith things fighting ROM????) and shit like Secret Wars. Which is enjoyable but I'd rather not. And now I'm up to Secret Wars II and apparently it's essential to what happens next in NM. It feels much less cohesive than what happened before. At least I'll always have the Brood arc.

Though Claremont is ace at writing some obnoxious motherfuckers as villians. I'm seriously disappointed Empath wasn't thrown off the top of a mountain in the last issue I read.

Sandfox

Avengers Endless Wartime
X-Men No More Humans

People seem to really like the Thanos stuff, and I personally liked the ASM book. I don't know anything about the X-Men book though.

Rhaknar

People seem to really like the Thanos stuff, and I personally liked the ASM book. I don't know anything about the X-Men book though.

And these are all "cannon" then, much like Rage of Ultron?

So much stupid going on in this weeks Walking Dead. Rick and Dwight might be the two dumbest motherfuckers in any comic book universe.

But Negan's dialogue is perfect as always.

The worst part of the month is when I finish the new issue of Giant Days and realize I have to wait another month until the next one.

This issue had many great quotes, like always.
The most poignant of quotes was probably "Don't worry, I feel like our biggest mistakes... are still to come."

Here's to the upcoming second year!!

Giant Days is consistently amazing. I don't know how he does it.

Avengers Endless Wartime
X-Men No More Humans

X-Men No More Humans is like the last good X-Men book written by the Professor himself, Mike Carey.

frye

Imagine writing comics for years in obscurity and getting a call from DC asking if you want to write the new Cyborg #1

I haven't played Overwatch in weeks, but I have been reading comics. Go figure
Me being this confused makes me question how good a jumping on point Rebirth actually is. I'm basically coming in cold and I'm virtually lost without the explanations given here.

Cyborg was very new reader friendly

I'm going to the CincyComicCon this weekend and every year I get some art from the artist. I asked Zak Hartong who does his own web comic and is about to start a Kickstarted graphic novel to do me a comission. I gave him the choices of Superman, Joker, or Kylo Ren and he chose Kylo. Tonight, he sent me what he had done and I love it. Thought I would share with you all.

Q2rHEBe.jpg

Top Bottom