• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

mreddie

I haven't played Overwatch in weeks, but I have been reading comics. Go figure

New map but that's about it. Still trying to get though KOF

Also Squadon Supreme:
meoAf.gif

I'm going to the CincyComicCon this weekend and every year I get some art from the artist. I asked Zak Hartong who does his own web comic and is about to start a Kickstarted graphic novel to do me a comission. I gave him the choices of Superman, Joker, or Kylo Ren and he chose Kylo. Tonight, he sent me what he had done and I love it. Thought I would share with you all.

Q2rHEBe.jpg

That's dope

Thanks! I'm excited to pick it up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All New Laura #6 - Thus ends one of the best first arcs I remember reading in any comic. That was absolutely fantastic and the book is easily one of my favorites right now. And Gabby is sticking around which brings me great joy. Please for the love of god dont break up this team, I love the writing and I love the art.

tumblr_o3sraomYs81v87xcro1_1280.jpg

I read that All-New Wolverine issue last night and idk I thought it was alright. I don't think Tom Taylor is particularly good at emotional moments but that part at the end with Gabby and the bad guy was kinda cool.
New map but that's about it. Still trying to get though KOF
Yeah usually i only play with friends but they've been occupied with WoW for some reason

KOF looked kinda cool and I wanna play it but I didn't bring my PS4 when I moved

MG310

Love that Kylo Ren commission.

Overwatch with Randoms didn't go so well this week but feeling pretty good about my Zenyatta usage. Even tried mixing in a little Ana on some of the stages with a long run back to the action.

Fury451

Banned
Scarlet Witch is like a TV show

Is that a compliment or...

Because I find most US network shows to wander aimlessly for 25 episodes with about the same 8 episodes worth of plot for far too many seasons before being unceremoniously cancelled.

Malyse

I just discovered Princeless.

8304886007_c49bceaa8f_z.jpg
All New Laura #6 - Thus ends one of the best first arcs I remember reading in any comic. That was absolutely fantastic and the book is easily one of my favorites right now. And Gabby is sticking around which brings me great joy. Please for the love of god dont break up this team, I love the writing and I love the art.

Gabby right?!

Rooster12

So this was on John Constantine's wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Constantine#In_real_life

Writers who have claimed to have seen John Constantine in real life.

Alan Moore claims to have met his creation on two occasions. In 1993, he told Wizard Magazine:[4]
“ One day, I was in Westminster in London—this was after we had introduced the character—and I was sitting in a sandwich bar. All of a sudden, up the stairs came John Constantine. He was wearing the trenchcoat, a short cut—he looked—no, he didn't even look exactly like Sting. He looked exactly like John Constantine. He looked at me, stared me straight in the eyes, smiled, nodded almost conspiratorially, and then just walked off around the corner to the other part of the snack bar.
I sat there and thought, should I go around that corner and see if he is really there, or should I just eat my sandwich and leave? I opted for the latter; I thought it was the safest. I'm not making any claims to anything. I'm just saying that it happened. Strange little story. "

Writers who had their run on the Hellblazer series have also admitted meeting the character in real life. Original Hellblazer writer, Jamie Delano also claims to have encountered Constantine, during his run on the character, outside the British Museum.[81][82] Peter Milligan saw Constantine at a party around 2009 and rushed after him, only to find he'd disappeared. Brian Azzarello once saw him in a Chicago bar but avoided him, saying that "the thing is about John is, the last thing you'd want to be is his friend."[83]

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Standoff Alpha #1 - well shit hit the fan fast. Im liking this although I wish the whole Pleasentville aspect had been more explored and didnt just last that one issue. Also, it would be more exciting if one didnt know but wondered if a new Thunderbolts book would come out of this. But thats not even a MU problem, thats a "internet in 2016" problem.

Uncanny Avengers #6 - cool little issue with Wade and Pietro going to the old Avengers mansion, which is now a themed hotel, to stop Wrecker. Im intrigued where this Red Skull thing is going, and thats coming from someone who hated Axis.

Sandfox

Sabrina the Teenage Witch aka Jughead #9:
I really liked this issue, but it bothers me how these Riverdale books are ignoring the characterization in the main Archie book for the sake of having the big name characters in the supporting cast. I like Sabrina's design and personality so far, with the fact that she has
moved to Riverdale
giving me hope for something more long term happening with her in the future. I think the current artist is perfect for a Riverdale book and I hope he stays on the book. The next issue is going to be interesting given that Jughead is
asexual has pretty much lead Sabrina on with his love for burgers.

Sandfox

NOPE.

Didn't even know until fifteen seconds ago. Was actually gonna to bring it up.

Yeah, that book is one of the reasons why I'm excited for the Wasp ongoing. The artist and what we've seen from the character so far don't hurt either lol.

Night's Dominion was probably my favorite comic from today. #1 sets it up to be a fantasy/D&D-esque heist story with some Batman stuff in there. Pretty cool.

of course, I have yet to read Kill or Be Killed #2, so

Oscar

Forgot to pick up Kill Or Be Killed #2, will do that tomorrow.

Next wednesday is gonna be lit with All Star Batman #2 and Black Monday Murders #2.

Owzers

Uncharted 4 is such a rollercoaster of enjoyment and annoyance.
the mummies...why? The explosions hurt my ears a little with my headphones on since they are SO much louder than anything else in the game.

Glitterbomb #1 - 37 pages. It seems like there's an interesting foundation of a story here, but Zub hasn't given us a whole lot of meat yet. We get a bare-bones introduction to the main character and a scene or two conveying her situation in life. Then we get to the gimmick, I guess, of the book. It's similar to a certain plot-element from ComicGAF's beloved series Monstress, but introduced in a rushed and two-dimensional way. There's nothing about it that invokes my curiosity. This comic definitely doesn't grab you from the start like Wayward, and the muted color palette doesn't do it any favors in that regard, either. 3-issue rule will apply here. I like Zub, and I want to like this book. But I haven't been given a reason to yet.
So a Optimistically Shaky/10?
Me being this confused makes me question how good a jumping on point Rebirth actually is. I'm basically coming in cold and I'm virtually lost without the explanations given here.
The Rebirth issues set up exactly what you need to know for that book, and that's all you need and nothing more. The good ones anyways, like Supergirl, Green Arrow, Superman, Nightwing, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Detective Comics, and Titans. Even some of the bad ones, like Green Lanterns, The Flash, and Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns do a fairly good job of setting the status quo.

Drop the part of your brain that says you need to know everything, and just read the book. You'll know exactly what you need to and anything else is optional.
Rage of Ultron was pretty good. Weird line up as its a weird mash up of Avengers and Uncanny Avengers but I liked it.
Had Remender stayed with Marvel, I'm betting that all would have paid off. Right now the only payoffs we're getting are ANAD Avengers and Uncanny Avengers.
And these are all "cannon" then, much like Rage of Ultron?
The only thing canon from the Thanos: Infinity trilogy is that
Adam Warlock becomes the Living Tribunal
. The rest is entirely debatable.

Callback to Kyle and Yost X-Force/10 for the win.

Sandfox

Supergirl is a really interesting book, but all these retcons Orlando is being forced to make is hurting the book from a writing standpoint. The way Brian Ching draws eyes really bothers as well because it felt like they kept changing. This is clearly a much better direction for the character coming off what they were doing with her before though lol.

Supergirl is a really interesting book, but all these retcons Orlando is being forced to make is hurting the book from a writing standpoint. The way Brian Ching draws eyes really bothers as well because it felt like they kept changing. This is clearly a much better direction for the character coming off what they were doing with her before though lol.

The previews look really great. I haven't watched the cw show or anything but it looks really nice, and the art is awesome. She's endearing before you even read a word.

Plus Tim said Orlando was decent or "okay enough", something to that effect.

arkon

Gurihiru on art.

----

Me being this confused makes me question how good a jumping on point Rebirth actually is. I'm basically coming in cold and I'm virtually lost without the explanations given here.
It's a jumping on point but it seems like they're targeting old lapsed readers from when they kicked off the new 52. That said I haven't read any Superman books besides Secret Identity and I got on fine with the first couple of issues I read of the Rebirth stuff. The only thing I didn't know was which universe each of the supermen were from but that didn't seem to be that important. It's enough to know they were from different universes which is made clear in the Rebirth special I think

What are the retcons? Granted, the last time I read the Supergirl ongoing was like 2 years ago

Sandfox

The previews look really great. I haven't watched the cw show or anything but it looks really nice, and the art is awesome. She's endearing before you even read a word.

Plus Tim said Orlando was decent or "okay enough", something to that effect.
Orlando is a good writer.
What are the retcons? Granted, the last time I read the Supergirl ongoing was like 2 years ago

Orlando is basically changing the entire character and premise from the New 52 version was in order to basically become a high school version of TV show.
They changed Cat Grant into Calista Flockhart, made it so that Kara just arrived on earth, and gave her foster parents(who work with her at the DEO) that feel unbelievable for this very reason.
It's not bad, but it's extremely blatant and IMO distracting in both the Rebirth issue and #1.

Superman #6
victorydance.gif

Supergirl #1
Pretty cool issue, but I kept feeling like I needed to read New 52 Supergirl. Which I'm actually going to do, since I read the first volume like, a year ago and I really enjoyed it. Better than the Rebirth issue, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more.

Nightwing #4
TwdzDPf.gif

Green Arrow #6
This is intense. Damn. I don't really know what to say, but I know that this book is keeping me hooked.

Squadron Supreme #11
Bit of a weaker issue. Not sure what to take from this, really. A bunch of shit happens. I dunno. Maybe I'm losing interest? Hope not. I was really enjoying it.

All-New All-Different Avengers #14
Single best issue of this book by a mile and I absolutely cannot wait to read Unstoppable Wasp. Fantastic. Also,
WHISPER is the Maker's organization, yeah? This is going to get very VERY interesting very VERY quick.

Orlando is basically changing the entire character and premise from the New 52 version was in order to basically become a high school version of TV show.
They changed Cat Grant into Calista Flockhart, made it so that Kara just arrived on earth, and gave her foster parents(who work with her at the DEO) that feel unbelievable for this very reason.
It's not bad, but it's extremely blatant and IMO distracting in both the Rebirth issue and #1.
Disappointing that they're making it more like the show. That means the comic is making the show seem appealing and I can't go through that again.

Zombine

Banned
The Walking Dead's
Most Hilarious, Fuck Up, Slapstick Humor of A Death Award
goes to:

Gabriel

Holy shit what was that?! I legit laughed.
Kirkman must have really hated that dude to have such a fucking stupid death. All he had to do was climb down a ladder...

The Walking Dead's
Most Hilarious, Fuck Up, Slapstick Humor of A Death Award
goes to:

Gabriel

Holy shit what was that?! I legit laughed.
Kirkman must have really hated that dude to have such a fucking stupid death. All he had to do was climb down a ladder...

As it turns out,
his intestines made it to the bottom of the ladder before he did!

Supergirl

Really good and a lot better than the Rebirth issue. Still feels weird to have Kara only be on Earth a couple months but I think the dynamic of her dealing with the differences of worlds is a pretty cool.

Batman

King somehow makes repetition in his issues so emotional. GG just casually flying away from Batman while he was trying to talk to her while she is talking about him to her dead brother? Dammit I love King's writing.

That being said am I understanding the last page correctly?
Bane is behind all of this and put Strange up to getting Psycho Pirate and now Strange is done with his job and going on to cause the Monster Men?

Batman Beyond

Finally we're where we expected to be months ago. I actually liked this issue because it picked up the pace just to get to the end and it actually led to a better issue because of it. Now where does this take future Tim Drake?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
All-New All-Different Avengers #14
Single best issue of this book by a mile and I absolutely cannot wait to read Unstoppable Wasp. Fantastic. Also,
WHISPER is the Maker's organization, yeah? This is going to get very VERY interesting very VERY quick.

theyre trying to put hank on the cyclops hate train i see.

Messi

David Lopez leaves and is replaced by Marcio Takara

First two issues of Deathstroke were good. The character himself isn't particularly interesting on his own but I like the political aspects in the story. Some of the stuff with Slade's family is corny, but hey, maybe Ravager will pop up

Yeah I can see that being weird if you read the previous stuff but I didn't see those as retcons (Grant aside) as much as a fresh status quo. i also don't watch the show, though.

First two issues of Deathstroke were good. The character himself isn't particularly interesting on his own but I like the political aspects in the story. Some of the stuff with Slade's family is corny, but hey, maybe Ravager will pop up

Yeah I can see that being weird if you read the previous stuff but I didn't see those as retcons (Grant aside) as much as a fresh status quo. i also don't watch the show, though.
She will. ACO redesigned Slade and her for Rebirth:

Top Bottom