• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

I had forgotten Madame Masque showed up in Bendis' Moon Knight. I also forgot about how much he loved that Moon Knight could take a Thor-level villain like Count Nefaria. He loves it so much, since he keeps reminding the reader over and over again that Nefaria is a Thor-level villain

So here's what I gathered from Bendis' Moon Knight:

It might have been some minor set-up for Age of Ultron and Echo died.

Other than that it was just a fun street-level cape story. Nothing of significance happened in terms of Moon Knight as a character, and the shit that it did in terms of the overall MU have largely been forgotten. I mean, Soule brought Echo back without giving a fuck and nobody bothered to mention who was involved in keeping Ultron's head. As if that was even remotely relevant at all, and even that claim is a stretch.

Oh well. Still fun.

PsychBat!

Banned
ZsNu2sy.gif

Hey Comic GAF. I've never really been able to get into superhero comics but I do like sic-fi. I recently saw some stuff about the The Incal and Metabarons that made me want to give them a shot. Are these a good place to start with graphic novels and does the order of reading them matter? I'll probably only get one off Amazon to start with just to see how it goes.

Yep.

My suggested reading order would be

The Incal
Before the Incal
Final Incal

Metabarons is in the same universe but can be read anytime after The Incal.

Also, look at instocktrades.com too for picking up comics. They are usually cheaper than Amazon (sometimes by a lot) and much better packaging.

I wish IST was a better option in Canada. At first glance, 42% off is great... but not after the exchange rate, and $24 2-3 week, uninsured, untracked shipping.

Is Batman #620, the start of Azzerello and Risso's Broken City the first big Batman story that Azzerello wrote? I just started it and I'm like why haven't I heard of it before. First issue was solid and especially the intro, is one of the best intros to a Batman story by a writer. For example.

Perfect explanation of his Gotham and his Batman in almost poetic way. Then you get through the rest of the issue and you think it's solid. But alas, I have 5 more to go and I've never seen this story recommended or even mentioned before. So now I'm imagining it's going to develop in to something mediocre. Time to keep reading.

Just finished this. It was a cool little murder mystery. With some great commentary by Batman in the vain of old time detective movies. Talking about things in metaphors. The story never reached great heights though and that's what's makes this story somewhat forgettable. Risso's art was amazing though but was probably a curveball after having Jim Lee on Hush right before this. I see now why I haven't heard of it. Not bad, not great.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just finished this. It was a cool little murder mystery. With some great commentary by Batman in the vain of old time detective movies. Talking about things in metaphors. The story never reached great heights though and that's what's makes this story somewhat forgettable. Risso's art was amazing though but was probably a curveball after having Jim Lee on Hush right before this. I see now why I haven't heard of it. Not bad, not great.

Broken City was that really dark story with child/teen prostitution, right?

Some of you guys were talking about angela recently right? How does the asgards assassin/queen of hel hang together as a complete run, any good? Natural conclusion? Does it stand out in any specific way or is it quite meat and potatoes?

Malyse

Some of you guys were talking about angela recently right? How does the asgards assassin/queen of hel hang together as a complete run, any good? Natural conclusion? Does it stand out in any specific way or is it quite meat and potatoes?

You have to read 1602 as well. #itsallconnected

Boogiepop

Welp, I need that, bad, even though I realize it's probably quite the rip off, considering I already own DDD.

Also, Worst X-man Ever was okay, but didn't kill it. Like, it went through the proper motions for that sort of thing and hit the right notes to be enjoyable with a handful of great gags, but it didn't really blow me away. Still, fun enough little book.

Anyone got a comic podcast recommendation that covers a wide variety of books and usually goes into conversation about them?

Brian listens to a whole bunch he listed a whole bunch earlier in the thread man. I think there was ifanboy, some Australian ones. They all looked good, I haven't got to them yet but worth finding that post.

Brian listens to a whole bunch he listed a whole bunch earlier in the thread man. I think there was ifanboy, some Australian ones. They all looked good, I haven't got to them yet but worth finding that post.

I'll have to look back for it. I just gave up iFanboy, they were just kind of frustrating on many different levels.

I'll have to look back for it. I just gave up iFanboy, they were just kind of frustrating on many different levels.

Haha I really want more comic podcasts to listen to but as a trade waiter it's like...I want news and some review, but nothing to deeply spoilerish. Is a difficult balance. I listen to house to astonish but I don't know if I'd recommend it, it's very British, maybe not for everyone. I listen to tony and matt on comicvine too sometimes, they never go too in depth on anything but they do it weekly so they cover a lot.

If I was a weekly reader though I'd want some real.meaty in depth convo though so really depends who you want haha.

Reading about this upcoming Deadman mini at DC, don't know much about the writer, but a gothic horror romance, set in New England no less, with a 70s horror comic aesthetic. I am waaay down for that (if the reviews are decent of course: Click for interview. 48 pages per issue, three issues, interesting stuff.

Covers by Stephanie Hans.

Haha I really want more comic podcasts to listen to but as a trade waiter it's like...I want news and some review, but nothing to deeply spoilerish. Is a difficult balance. I listen to house to astonish but I don't know if I'd recommend it, it's very British, maybe not for everyone. I listen to tony and matt on comicvine too sometimes, they never go too in depth on anything but they do it weekly so they cover a lot.

If I was a weekly reader though I'd want some real.meaty in depth convo though so really depends who you want haha.

Yeah I'm fine with not going in depth on a lot of stuff but if just love some in depth good chat on books they really liked that week or whatever.

Laekon

Yep.

My suggested reading order would be

The Incal
Before the Incal
Final Incal

Metabarons is in the same universe but can be read anytime after The Incal.

Also, look at instocktrades.com too for picking up comics. They are usually cheaper than Amazon (sometimes by a lot) and much better packaging.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had some Amazon credit and they had the hardcover for $28.

LtOrange

I'm pretty new to comics and have never tried grabbing an issue on release day. If I want to pickup Doom Patrol tomorrow, do I have to preorder a copy? I have only done trade paperbacks up to this point.

I'm pretty new to comics and have never tried grabbing an issue on release day. If I want to pickup Doom Patrol tomorrow, do I have to preorder a copy? I have only done trade paperbacks up to this point.

Nono, you can just go to your comic store and grab it, or online or whatever. It's a pretty high profile release ( well, relatively) I don't think you're in tooo much danger of your store having chosen not to stock any.

Very small stores may only order enough copies for subscribers but most places will have extra copies for potential new readers, especially for a #1 issue.

xptoxyz

Anything anyone would suggest from the batman sale for an occasional comic reader at best? Seems only select books rather than the whole batman lineup.

Xis

Anything anyone would suggest from the batman sale for an occasional comic reader at best? Seems only select books rather than the whole batman lineup.

In the single issues they have the entirety of The Long Halloween and also Year One. Year One is one of the best things Frank Miller has done; shows Batman just getting started. The Long Halloween is good if you are at least familiar with Batman villains; it's a 13-part murder mystery, each issue covers a different month/holiday.

Edit: oh man, forgot Dark Knight Returns is part of the sale; that's also great (grim, old Batman comes out of retirement).

Yea think I am going for it. Life is too short.

Definitely dude.

Year One man, one of the best bat stories ever, and you need no knowledge at all. Dark Knight Returns and the long halloween are very friendly in that way too.

Personal fav, the court/city of owls. One of the best modern tales by one of my favourite writers :) also the intro to the new 52 batman so again, fairly easy on new readers although it is rooted in general continuity more than the others mentioned. You'll see the various robins, nightwing etc.

Top Bottom