• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Re: DC vs Marvel

Rebirth is pretty damn bad. Marvel has tons of crappy shit but they still have far better, more interesting runs going on right now.

The highlight of Rebirth was the one shot. Haven't read Doom Patrol yet but nothing I've read has truly hit the exceptional level if quality. It's mostly entertaining b-action movie stuff with lots of mediocre books thrown into the mix.

I say this a DC fanboy forever.

Edit: Top of page, for real? DC needs to hire Grant Morrison again. We need another godlike run from him.

shingi70

Banned
Re: DC vs Marvel

Rebirth is pretty damn bad. Marvel has tons of crappy shit but they still have far better, more interesting runs going on right now.

The highlight of Rebirth was the one shot. Haven't read Doom Patrol yet but nothing I've read has truly hit the exceptional level if quality. It's mostly entertaining b-action movie stuff with lots of mediocre books thrown into the mix.

I say this a DC fanboy forever.

Edit: Top of page, for real? DC needs to hire Grant Morrison again.

I'd say all of the rebirth stuff has been great. Been thoroughly enjoying the whole line. That said I'm also enjoying Marvel's line expect CWII doesn't grab me.

I'd say all of the rebirth stuff has been great. Been thoroughly enjoying the whole line. That said I'm also enjoying Marvel's line expect CWII doesn't grab me.

No joke, CWII is one of the worst events I've ever read. That comic is pure trash. And that event has ruined books I like.

Hell, I might drop Ms. Marvel because of how badly CWII is ruining it.

TheFlow

Banned
me atm

89c.gif

going to pull a switzeerland

No joke, CWII is one of the worst events I've ever read. That comic is pure trash. And that event has ruined books I like.

Hell, I might drop Ms. Marvel because of how badly CWII is ruining it.

i think ms. is one of the best books all across the scene to handle the conceit of the event. most of the others, instead of being philosophically interesting, are just ulysses showing up like "hey i saw this" and everyone else being like "omfg no why how let's go"

Guys why does it matter if marvel or dc are better than each other when the Mignolaverse stomps both and doesn't need no Rebirth's or all different ;)

I have no real stake either way, in all honesty. I think DC put our a small handful of truly exceptional books as do marvel. They both put out some real shit and lots of middle ground fun stuff. They are effectively equal in my mind bar the odd major swing one way or the other at short times.

I'll always go to my hellboy books and image comics first anyway so it's not really worth debating between marvel and dc

They already do this in UK and Ireland. That's how comics are sold.

Yup. We do have comic stores but they are few and far between, mostly in cities. I grew up on the old marvel spiderman, xmen, wolverine reprint volumes. Not sure if it was Titan or Panini or what, but effectively the same thing, and I got those from a newsagent like menzies or the supermarket. I don't think I had a real single issue front print monthly us comic issue until I was 11.

i think ms. is one of the best books all across the scene to handle the conceit of the event. most of the others, instead of being philosophically interesting, are just ulysses showing up like "hey i saw this" and everyone else being like "omfg no why how let's go"

I dunno, I feel like that's exactly what Ms. Marvel did too. There was a prison and everything. It's only now she's taking the moral high ground which is laughable given the context she parades her opinion around in.

tim1138

Wait holy shit, no joke I JUST got this...

(Tec Spoilers)

DUDE'S NAME IS MR. OZ?????? HOW DID I NOT CATCH THIS.

Yeah, dude first showed up during Johns short run on Superman with JRJR, he may have even been in that first issue they did. He was pretty much behind everything that happened in that run.

TheFlow

Banned
I would like to start reading Saga. What is the best way to start? Is there some sort of compilation I can buy?
Deluxe edition for about 30 bucks if you want the physical or the trades run cheap as well. Buy from ist not Amazon for the better prices and shipping.

Digitally? Get the cmx unlimited trial and read the first volume for free. Then each issue after that is 2 dollars.

Saga will go on sale digitally later this year for 0.99 cents like always so fair warning

Warning saga is very addicting to read and you will most likely just spurge buy all of it

I used to have tons of those reprinted Spider-Man issues when I was a kid. They used to have nicer quality covers than the original comics do these days.

Nice that's right, nice thick stock, with the contents on the inside page. That stuff blew my mind. The funny thing is, I don't believe (?) either the xmen book had got to onslaught before they launched the reborn volumes, or at least I had fallen behind on the x-men ones, so when I read heroes reborn and then heroes return I was legit shook, I had no idea about the central conceit that they had died in the main universe, just that reborn was a new telling. My child brain interpreted it similar to what the ultimate books ended up being.

It's also the best way to read it. That version is stunning.
It's a great looking HC but if you haven't tried a series, buy the most expensive version and don't like it, it can feel like a waste of money. Unlikely with Saga but there's some people that don't like it.

These have been around for donkeys years. Marvel have had them since the early 90s, they were how I started reading non-kids comics (although calling the Clone Saga and Phalanx Covenant "proper" comics is stretching it). Titan picked up the DC license awhile back and have a decent amount of books. Basically, if it has a movie or TV show, it has a comic to go with it, along with Titan's Doctor Who comics which are the same format, but it's their own material. Except Superman for some reason, but there is a Batman & Superman kids annual (an annual in UK terms is an oversized hardcover aimed at children, they used to just be for stuff like the Beano, Dandy and football magazines but if it has a kids fanbase, it has an annual these days) this year. I always buy an annual for all the kids along with their Xmas presents, because I like to encourage even a little reading. I have put one away for the youngest nephew, I got him Batman pyjamas for his birthday and he wears them constantly now, along with a Spider-Man cap and gloves for the winter.

Both Marvel and DC lines recently got retooled, as well as a price hike due to Brexit. The Marvel books are €6.10 now for 76 pages, which is roughly 3 issue plus a feature here and there.

(although calling the Clone Saga and Phalanx Covenant "proper" comics is stretching it).

Haha but dude, when you're 8 years old, it seems like the legit shit. When the age of Apocalypse was being reprinted especially, that was the stuff that made me a junkie.

Then when I finally could get hold of real comics, it was in a strange little odds and ends shop and for some reason all they stocked was extreme studios image comics

That was when I went on break until 2004ish :D

Haha but dude, when you're 8 years old, it seems like the legit shit. When the age of Apocalypse was being reprinted especially, that was the stuff that made me a junkie.

YES! That was amazing back in the day. And those were the issues that had "The X-Universe", which was the pullout factfiles. Great in the days before wikis were the thing. And the "Marvel's Greatest Villains" trading cards they had sometimes. I think I still have some of those. Those were how I found out what a Thanos was after playing Marvel Super Heroes on PS1 back in the day.

YES! That was amazing back in the day. And those were the issues that had "The X-Universe", which was the pullout factfiles. Great in the days before wikis were the thing. And the "Marvel's Greatest Villains" trading cards they had sometimes. I think I still have some of those. Those were how I found out what a Thanos was after playing Marvel Super Heroes on PS1 back in the day.

Damn I forgot about the cards. I had a sweet spiderman clone coming out of the toxic goo that must of come with one of the books at some point, I coveted that. See we may have missed out on *real* comics but I think we got something special too.

Although I do remember going on holiday at some point and picking this up in an airport

I had no idea at the time *our* comics ran a good bit behind and was completely lost. I'm not entirely sure but I think at the time doc ock had been murdered by perhaps kaine or strider or something equally mad, and Peter may have retired. So I was pretty thrown haha

So all those past delays for Spider-Man finally shows since Spider-Man #8 actually takes place during the events that happened in Civil War II #3.

It was a strong tie-in though. I really dug the little friendship moment between Miles, Kamala, and Sam. And the pep talk he got from Jessica Jones and Luke Cage was good.

smisk

Re: Marvel vs DC
Personally I haven't read anything in either Rebirth or ANAD that absolutely wowed me. They both have enjoyable books (particularly liking Green Arrow) but nothing that's reached the heights of Sheriff of Babylon or The Fix, which are my two favorite books currently. Black Panther has probably come the closest, and I've also enjoyed the Marvel Star Wars stuff.
I'm also liking Civil War II though I haven't paid for an issue yet.

nothing that's reached the heights of Sheriff of Babylon or The Fix, which are my two favorite books currently.

And this is why it's hardly worth debating. Tom King writes one of DC'S flagship books, as does Spencer, to a slightly lesser extent. Yet these are your preferred comics. Marvel and DC are both great and meh in equal measure, and most writers at either are writing their real passion projects elsewhere anyway. Enjoy them for what they are and be pleased when an omega men or a godbomb comes along

Malyse

I hope Spider-Man Homecoming and Runaways both kill so we can get more teen heroes. Something about that age set really brings drama.

I hope runaways is soon. Wish it was Netflix.

Mediking

Reminder that the Catwoman New 52, Batman and Robin New 52 and Batgirl New 52 is very good. Hahaha I meant to post this in THIS thread.

I hope Spider-Man Homecoming and Runaways both kill so we can get more teen heroes. Something about that age set really brings drama.

I hope runaways is soon. Wish it was Netflix.
Teens love pointless drama, I lived it. I made a habit of starting pointless shit. I don't think Runaways is gonna be enough to get people to sub to Hulu.

Top Bottom