• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Ross61

Is Ras al Ghul and Talia supposed to be asian or arabian? Sorry to sound stupid, but I am really not sure because Resurrection of RAG and RAG: Year One tied him strongly to asia while his whole astethic with the desert was once more arabia themed.

Background: I was thinking about a Damian Wayne casting but since Talia doesnt seem to be caucasian (more or less depending on the artist of course), I kinda want a caucasian actor to take his part.
From what I've gathered both Ra and Talia are mixed with different Middle Eastern races. Damian is the same, and they've darkened the color of his skin in Teen Titans to reflect that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
From what I've gathered both Ra and Talia are mixed with different Middle Eastern races. Damian is the same, and they've darkened the color of his skin in Teen Titans to reflect that.
Ah, I see.
God to hear that they acknowledge this.
Man, there will be meltdowns if they dont whitewash...

Still got the last two issues of the batgirl v.2 to go but I was really enjoying it last night. Babs Tarr really makes the book.

Picked up dragon quest vii on a whim today too, hopefully be fun. I never played the original.

Yo, who's the tentacle-head girl from GLC Lost Army? She's pretty sexy. :3
Called Two-Six IIRC.

xtofx.jpg

Sadist

Spider-Man 008 is fun btw. Series kinda had a rough start, but this issue was as Bendis as Bendis gets. Especially the part with Luke Cage.

Old Man Logan was pretty fun too. Really enjoying the series. I mean it's not the greatest thing in history, but the art is nice and the story isn't that laggy.

Hagi

Was flicking through some of the Birthright volumes at the comic store and wow that book looks cool as fuck. Been dying for some good fantasy for a while so finally going to read the volume 1 I've had for an age then buy the rest.

Hagi, I got the second thor OHC through and read them both, I am become you. It was purely you posting about them last month that egged me into upgrading so cheers. Ribic art in that format is so nice.

Yo, who's the tentacle-head girl from GLC Lost Army? She's pretty sexy. :3

She's a squid now, she's a kid now!

Red Hood and the Outlaws

Not much really happened in this issue but I still ended up really liking it because the dialogue between RH and Artemis was just great.

"Does counting make you feel smart." is my line of the week, which is now a thing.

Wonder Woman

I know some have been down on WW but I think it just gets better and better each week. On paper this issue should have been boring and dumb as it's just a fish out of water type situation, but the pacing and worry Steve showed made the issue really good for me.

TheFlow

Banned
Red Hood and the Outlaws

Not much really happened in this issue but I still ended up really liking it because the dialogue between RH and Artemis was just great.

"Does counting make you feel smart." is my line of the week, which is now a thing.

Wonder Woman

I know some have been down on WW but I think it just gets better and better each week. On paper this issue should have been boring and dumb as it's just a fish out of water type situation, but the pacing and worry Steve showed made the issue really good for me.
Fuck it I am picking up red hood

This gif is terrifying.

I like to think it's a gift that keeps on giving!

Huh. Got into the alpha for...for honor? Sure. Apparently I can invite up to three people although it worded it as three uplay friends. No idea what that means.

I like this as a reaction for "not much happened' hahah. FUCK IT.

Lol, this title from bleeding cool about the current dc marvel market share. HUMILIATED http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/16/dc-comics-humiliates-marvel-with-august-2016-marketshare-as-diamond-sets-a-record-month-of-sales/

Harley Quinn in 4 of the top 10 books of the month. I like her, I haven't really analyzed deeply why I like her. I could come up with something that sounds smart but I would rather someone more prestigious than me to write about it to see if my thoughts line up. It's just very interesting that a lot of people have been calling for her popularity to dwindle for over a year now and she seems to only be gaining momentum.

kmfdmpig

Red Hood and the Outlaws

Wonder Woman

I agree about Wonder Woman. The Rebirth issue was really off for me, but since then it's been consistently good. I had never cared much about Cheetah before, but I like this take on her. The art has been phenomenal in that book as well.

Outside of the Rebirth issue I think it's been a pretty fun read. I'm sure it will only get better when Bizarro is thrown into the mix.

I agree about Wonder Woman. The Rebirth issue was really off for me, but since then it's been consistently good. I had never cared much about Cheetah before, but I like this take on her. The art has been phenomenal in that book as well.

The Rebirth issue might as well have been a book of art for me because it was the standout thing about it and I took not much else from it.

It's just very interesting that a lot of people have been calling for her popularity to dwindle for over a year now and she seems to only be gaining momentum.

I don't know anyone who read comics at all irl but they all go and see the movies and on that end it has went from no one knows who harley quinn is except maybe vaguely if they play batman games or watched the cartoon as a kid to loving her and wanting more, after the suicide squad movie. I just think her value with the casual consumer has went way up. I don't doubt at all that in some circles people want less of her but as someone who was absent here for a good while, and only discuss comics irl with casual people, it couldn't be more the opposite haha. The casuals don't read the books but it goes to show general trends do power sales, even if there isn't a lot of transfer between movie goers to the comic shop.

Messi

Harley Quinn in 4 of the top 10 books of the month. I like her, I haven't really analyzed deeply why I like her. I could come up with something that sounds smart but I would rather someone more prestigious than me to write about it to see if my thoughts line up. It's just very interesting that a lot of people have been calling for her popularity to dwindle for over a year now and she seems to only be gaining momentum.

That's because outside of this bubble she is hot as fuck right now. We are the minority when it comes to the wide popularity of characters. Harley Quinn is easily one of the most popular comic related characters ever.

Anyone have any plans for Batman Day?

I'm in my bed with a cold so I'll probably just read some comics, maybe go out for a walk and finish the day off by watching a movie.

Phamit

All Star Batman #2

Now it's a completely an over the top Batman road movie story and I like it. I'm not sure if I like the flashforwards, because it feels like they're telling to much, but I like to the how they will turn out at the end. Well road movie may be a to soft description because it's like a Hunting Season on Batman.

The Duke story has still dark, but calm tone and is a good contrast to the Two Face story. I wished it had a bigger part in the book, because after the first part it became a lot more personal.

That's because outside of this bubble she is hot as fuck right now. We are the minority when it comes to the wide popularity of characters. Harley Quinn is easily one of the most popular comic related characters ever.

The funny thing is, I don't think she's even near the peak of her potential yet.

Anyone have any plans for Batman Day?

I'm in my bed with a cold so I'll probably just read some comics, maybe go out for a walk and finish the day off by watching a movie.

Haha if only there was something cool happening here. I guess I'm reading batgirl the gotham academy, which is batman related. If I end up in the pub, I'll pour one out for bruce

I know all of that but why? There is books out there explains the psychology of Batman. Why are people seeming to connect with Harley Quinn? It can't just be looks. Looks is a fad that wears off, a fad that would have worn out by now.

Bii

Comichron updated. Harley is #1.

1. Harley Quinn #1
  2. All-Star Batman #1
  3. Suicide Squad #1
  4. Amazing Spider-Man #16
  5. Suicide Squad Rebirth #1
  6. Batman #4
  7. Batman #5
  8. Justice League #2
  9. Harley Quinn #2
  10. Supergirl Rebirth #1

I still need to get Harley Quinn #1. One of the local shops around me was selling it for $25. It's still $2.97 at midtowncomics.com. :/

All-Star Batman #2, man, such action. JRJR's art still bothers me though.

If you have a PC key, me please!

Haha sorry man should of mentioned, it's a ps4 thing. It was extremely vague how I would get these codes but I'll let you know when I figure out, if I can choose the format.

I know all of that but why? There is books out there explains the psychology of Batman. Why are people seeming to connect with Harley Quinn? It can't just be looks. Looks is a fad that wears off, a fad that would have worn out by now.

I don't think it's just looks but it's that certain something isn't it. She's sexy, she's funny, her character is flexible and I think there's something novel when you fund out her story and that she's connected to the joker etc. She's just got the right everything for mass appeal. Why is a great question, if DC could boil it down to a clear answer they'd be churning out new characters every day. Sometimes you can't explain why something becomes part of the zeitgeist, right time, right place, right thing. I would slightly disagree that in terms of the larger public consciousness it's been as long as you imply but I also don't think she's a fad either.

Yo I like that art a lot. What is that? Umbrella Academy?

That's exactly what it is. Gabriel Ba ftw!

Sandfox

I like to think it's a gift that keeps on giving!

Huh. Got into the alpha for...for honor? Sure. Apparently I can invite up to three people although it worded it as three uplay friends. No idea what that means.

I like this as a reaction for "not much happened' hahah. FUCK IT.

Lol, this title from bleeding cool about the current dc marvel market share. HUMILIATED http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/16/dc-comics-humiliates-marvel-with-august-2016-marketshare-as-diamond-sets-a-record-month-of-sales/
BC has to get that click bait somehow.

Sandfox

BC is garbage yes

Budt I'm a little surprised to see you say that, lol
I always call BC trash.

Yeah, but this one wasn't said if it was a event or a new book at first. Now that it's a event(and bi-weekly with 95% chance of Marvel putting each issue at 5.99$) the hype that existed is shrinking. They couldn't just give Bunn a monster book where the can do he things he's good at?
What makes you think the book will cost $6?

Yeah, but this one wasn't said if it was a event or a new book at first. Now that it's a event(and bi-weekly with 95% chance of Marvel putting each issue at 5.99$) the hype that existed is shrinking. They couldn't just give Bunn a monster book where the can do he things he's good at?

Ahhhh yeah

Another Marvel "book-into-event" type deal. Those go great generally.

I always call BC trash.

Really? Coulda sworn I remembered you defending them a while back.

Eh, whatever.

kmfdmpig

Comichron updated. Harley is #1.

1. Harley Quinn #1
  2. All-Star Batman #1
  3. Suicide Squad #1
  4. Amazing Spider-Man #16
  5. Suicide Squad Rebirth #1
  6. Batman #4
  7. Batman #5
  8. Justice League #2
  9. Harley Quinn #2
  10. Supergirl Rebirth #1

There are a fair number of #1s on there, so hard to tell how sustainable DC's success will be, but I was surprised to see them have such a strong August, particularly as they basically conceded the 5th week (as they always do). I thought their books this week were particularly strong.

Top Bottom