• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONCACAF Gold Cup | 7-26 July 2015 | The Ecstasy of Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
linesman never do the job properly.
ever

This is were we go "there should a ref in the goal line".

can't believe they have that in the CL but somehow think the World Cup and international tourneys don't really need it. It's just...baffling

can't believe they have that in the CL but somehow think the World Cup and international tourneys don't really need it. It's just...baffling

I don't see what is the problem with adding another referee if FIFA doesn't want to bring more technology besides the goal line tech.

Eila

That would change nothing as they're a waste of space there. They never make a call.

Darknight

Hold the fuck on GAF. Shit you guys have misaligned hate coming through. CHILL.

First of all Mexico was the better team this match. CRC played like shit. Mexico deserved to win the match regardless of the outcome.

Second, It wasnt the ref who called foul. It was one of the refs on the side line.

Third, the actual ref was making shit ass calls for both teams. There were countless times were Mexico should have had corner kicks but were denied. On mexico's side, they were doing crazy shit like that MX dude that was pulling some CRC's shirt to stop him. Missed yellow card call.

Overall a sloppy game but Mexico was the one that played better compared to Costa Rica. Do I agree with the last call? No. I felt they should have went to penalties/penales but if it was gonna be another round just like the first match that happened earlier in the day, Im glad it was over then.

The whole thing is rigged for a Mexico vs USA final. Brings in a lot of money too. That's not an excuse but I already had a feeling Mexico was gonna get a free pass via a penalty kick. I knew it was coming.

It's a shame. I can understand your saltiness.

A team can play as bad or lame as they want, but the game is not about how well they play, it's about winning by netting goals so I disagree with you. Costa Rica deserved to go through as much as Mexico did. Penalties would have been a totally different story, who knows, but Costa Rica did their thing and Mexico was handed a free penalty.

You just sound, and I hate to say it, Salty.

Costa Rica played worse than Mexico, they werent performing the same. By hoping to get to penalties to advance is like bottom of the barrel type of goal for a team. Thats not what you want. You want to win like you say. Mexico kept trying while CRC players just werent focused or motivated through the whole thing. (after 2nd time +)

Say CRC won, with their shitty performance they showed today, you can expect to be killed the next. Mexico at least you can tell they have a chance against Panama. And LOL about this being rigged for a Mexico vs USA. Might as well say Obama and PeNaneto smoke weed together every weekend and thats why Bams has the border open for business to all.

Eila

On mexico's side, they were doing crazy shit like that MX dude that was pulling some CRC's shirt to stop him. Missed yellow card call.

You mean when Campbell brushed off Jonathan Dos Santos shirt pull, did an amazing play and went to shoot on target, which was called offside? The mexican player was yellow carded for that.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Hold the fuck on GAF. Shit you guys have misaligned hate coming through. CHILL.

First of all Mexico was the better team this match. CRC played like shit. Mexico deserved to win the match regardless of the outcome.

Second, It wasnt the ref who called foul. It was one of the refs on the side line.

Third, the actual ref was making shit ass calls for both teams. There were countless times were Mexico should have had corner kicks but were denied. On mexico's side, they were doing crazy shit like that MX dude that was pulling some CRC's shirt to stop him. Missed yellow card call.

Overall a sloppy game but Mexico was the one that played better compared to Costa Rica. Do I agree with the last call? No. I felt they should have went to penalties/penales but if it was gonna be another round just like the first match that happened earlier in the day, Im glad it was over then.

So is defending like just not a part of the game anymore? Because we defended the entire game and were just dominating the first half, in both attack and defense. Just because we had less shots on target doesn't mean we deserve to be stolen the chance to win the game.

At least the mexican press is for the most part calling it a disgrace too, so props to them.

Alebrije

Someone should make a CONCACAFTED gif instead of WASTED......

I am happy that Mexico won but this can happen to any country with those refferies ...

Darknight

So is defending like just not a part of the game anymore? Because we defended the entire game and were just dominating the first half, in both attack and defense. Just because we had less shots on target doesn't mean we deserve to be stolen the chance to win the game.

At least the mexican press is for the most part calling it a disgrace too, so props to them.

I think everyone is disappointed about the ending, including me. But Mexico deserves the win. They played better. And hoping to win by knockouts/penalties is like I said, bottom of the barrel mentality. That means the players arent trying to win but try to win by luck. Sure its winning but gives a bad rep to the team overall.

Soccer fans rather the team go all out trying to score a goal than win by luck on penalties. Also by playing this way, it slows down the game. One team is on constant attack while the other just tries to buy time just "defending". It may be a tactic but its not always the best one as seen by this game. (Mexico's constant attacks "helped" make that wrong call by a ref - and if both teams just want to get to knockouts, it gets boring quick)

So yea everyone is disappointed with Mexico's "win". I think the soccer aficionados would have been disappointed more if Ticos won over penalties due to their overall performance.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I think everyone is disappointed about the ending, including me. But Mexico deserves the win. They played better. And hoping to win by knockouts/penalties is like I said, bottom of the barrel mentality. That means the players arent trying to win but try to win by luck. Sure its winning but gives a bad rep to the team overall.

Soccer fans rather the team go all out trying to score a goal than win by luck on penalties. Also by playing this way, it slows down the game. One team is on constant attack while the other just tries to buy time just "defending". It may be a tactic but its not always the best one as seen by this game. (Mexico's constant attacks "helped" make that wrong call by a ref)

So yea everyone is disappointed with Mexico's "win". I think the soccer aficionados would have been disappointed more if Ticos won over penalties due to their overall performance.

Our players could barely move by the 2nd extra time. Penalties were really the only thing left because we just too tired due to our high pressure all game. Saying someone "deserves" a win is bullshit, you either win or you don't, and we didn't deserve to lose either.

Darknight

Our players could barely move by the 2nd extra time. Penalties were really the only thing left because we just too tired due to our high pressure all game. Saying someone "deserves" a win is bullshit, you either win or you don't, and we didn't deserve to lose either.

Well I think everyone agrees that Mexico deserved the win based on their performance but Mexico didnt win because I or everyone else thought they deserved to win, didnt they? They won because a ref called a shit call. Thats it.

Anyways I laugh on the "rig" stuff. Not Mexican myself. Might as well say the US government is paying all teams to lose to team USA. Actually that may be possible so I may think like this if they do win the Gold Cup ;p

alterno69

Banned
It was a penalty IMO, the push doesn't need to throw him outside the pitch, it was enough to unbalance him.

Fair call IMO.
The call against Holland was fair too, so #sierapenal to both plays.

Mexico needs to get their shit together upfront, when teams play defense all game you have to take the few chances you get.

Draconian

Sorry, not even close to a penalty for me, and especially not one at the very end of extra time. Another example of a referee who has taken it upon himself to become the deciding factor in the contest. Not good enough to be at an international level.

It was a penalty IMO, the push doesn't need to throw him outside the pitch, it was enough to unbalance him.

Fair call IMO.
The call against Holland was fair too, so #sierapenal to both plays.

Mexico needs to get their shit together upfront, when teams play defense all game you have to take the few chances you get.

I have heard a couple of commentators call it legitimate too. As you said, it just need to get the player out of balance. I actually yelled "Penalty, referee!" when it happened (yes, I let my self got carried on).

Now, let's not forget which team Peralta plays for.

alterno69

Banned
Sorry, not even close to a penalty for me, and especially not one at the very end of extra time. Another example of a referee who has taken it upon himself to become the deciding factor in the contest. Not good enough to be at an international level.
What does that even mean? A foul is a foul even at the 121th minute in a quarter final match.

Nerokis

Well I think everyone agrees that Mexico deserved the win based on their performance but Mexico didnt win because I or everyone else thought they deserved to win, didnt they? They won because a ref called a shit call. Thats it.

Anyways I laugh on the "rig" stuff. Not Mexican myself. Might as well say the US government is paying all teams to lose to team USA. Actually that may be possible so I may think like this if they do win the Gold Cup ;p

You keep repeating that Mexico "deserved" to win. No such thing. Games are decided in moments, and the team that happens to create more chances or dominate possession doesn't "deserve" to win. That's a ridiculous sentiment even before considering the nature of tactics. Mexico never managed to overcome Costa Rica's defense, didn't get a single legitimate goal, and a blatant dive + a horrible call decided the game in their favor.

It should have gone to penalties. But whatever, this kind of thing happens all too often.

I want to see the US wreck Mexico in the final.

Neither team "deserved" to win. Mexico might have been more aggressive offensively but their defenders were incredibly cynical closer to the end. Just grabbing guys who flat out beat them repeatedly. There were 11 yellow cards in this match and should have been more.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
You keep repeating that Mexico "deserved" to win. No such thing. Games are decided in moments, and the team that happens to create more chances or dominate possession doesn't "deserve" to win. That's a ridiculous sentiment even before considering the nature of tactics. Mexico never managed to overcome Costa Rica's defense, didn't get a single legitimate goal, and a blatant dive + a horrible call decided the game in their favor.
Okay, Mexico didn't deserve to win. They won. Next? Lousy penalty called? The team that attacks more has a greater chance of getting lousy penalty calls. Costa Rica pushed their luck by playing for PKs with 75 minutes to go and their luck ran out.

It should have gone to penalties. But whatever, this kind of thing happens all too often.

I want to see the US wreck Mexico in the final.
So much salt.

Alebrije

hopefully mexico gets kicked out of the next world cup with another penalty fuck those pieces of shit

4477981.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
@PolancoESA

Yasser Corona causa baja de Selección Nacional de México por lesión a los meniscos. No puede ser reemplazado

ANOTHER ONE? JESUS FUCK

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Replacements could only be done after the group stage ended.

Seriously though, Mexico's luck with injuries this summer is mind-boggling.

Clydefrog

It was pretty evident that, based on his reaction when he got hurt, he wouldn't be playing for a while. Sucks. That was his first cap too?

@PolancoESA

Yasser Corona causa baja de Selección Nacional de México por lesión a los meniscos. No puede ser reemplazado

ANOTHER ONE? JESUS FUCK

Ingado! Aunque sea que les den Calcetose!

Seriously, did these guy don't warm up? Is the physical trainer a friend of Herrera, or a relative of Azcarraga?

Blue Lou

With Sunday’s sellout -- the sixth of the tournament, joining Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Kansas City and Atlanta – the 2015 Gold Cup ticket sales will surpass 500,000, placing this edition among the most successful tournaments in CONCACAF history.

There has to be more to a successful tournament than attendance. My personal favourite was 2011.

The introduction of a third-place playoff is nothing more than a cash-in.

US tends to match up well against Jamaica. Panama has played Mexico tough for over a cycle now.

But Mexico and Panama are playing on 2 days rest after both their games went to AET. Mexico played when it was cooler and are a deeper team. If Perez had scored at the end of regulation I might have been tempted to pick Panama but I think they will tire and Mexico will pull away.

So barring some shit defending (which is possible) I see a US v. Mexico final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom