• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA EURO 2024 |OT| Es Kommt Nach Hause

T8SC

I'm not sorry to see Southgate go, i always thought he was too defensive and you need to attack to score goals, he was also too loyal to players who were not producing the goods in his teams, and wouldn't give younger players much of a go, but the real issue now is who takes the job.

The leading candidates seem to be Graham Potter and Eddie Howe.

I'm not keen on either. I read they want someone who's English, so that would rule out Poch, Tuchel and Klopp.

Laptop1991

The leading candidates seem to be Graham Potter and Eddie Howe.

I'm not keen on either. I read they want someone who's English, so that would rule out Poch, Tuchel and Klopp.
Eddie Howe would be better than Southgate for me, but just having an English manager at present is going to get us nowhere, they simply arn't good enough at the moment to win things, i'm a Liverpool supporter so Klopp absolutely and the other 2 you mentioned as well, we need a good manager.

T8SC

Eddie Howe would be better than Southgate for me, but just having an English manager at present is going to get us nowhere, they simply arn't good enough at the moment to win things, i'm a Liverpool supporter so Klopp absolutely and the other 2 you mentioned as well, we need a good manager.

The England Vs Germany rivalry puts me off both Klopp and Tuchel.

I'd be interested in Michael Carrick or Kieran McKenna to be the successor.

Laptop1991

The England Vs Germany rivalry puts me off both Klopp and Tuchel.

I'd be interested in Michael Carrick or Kieran McKenna to be the successor.
Don't mention the war lol, that doesn't bother me, i loved that 70's Holland team but you have to give West Germany credit as it was back then, they had a great team mentality and won much more than us, i think it depends who want's the England job, not many do that's why we ended up with Southgate, just someone who will attack willl be fine for me.

T8SC

Don't mention the war lol, that doesn't bother me, i loved that 70's Holland team but you have to give West Germany credit as it was back then, they had a great team mentality and won much more than us, i think it depends who want's the England job, not many do that's why we ended up with Southgate, just someone who will attack willl be fine for me.

We could always bring big Sam back. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PaintTinJr

strongest league in the world because of money, remove the foreign players and the premier league is mediocre
Even if that was true - IMHO it isn't because United have been the biggest club in the world since the Class of 92 meaning the success was generated directly for an English academy and not indirect from foreign investment, as the Beckham documentary showed his global reach extended Real's not the other way around - I'm not sure how it negates anything I said.

The players England produce for the England team fetch on average more per player on the open market, paid mostly by English clubs than players from rival national teams.

Money is an ugly barometer, but it is also quite a telling one, and it is the strength and depth of the Prem that generates that excitement and money, and yet still in recent memory we had a lowly Leicester team seemingly come from nowhere and win the league against the odds against teams filled with far more expensive super star imported players showing money isn't always the golden bullet in the Prem.

PaintTinJr

It is the best paid job in International football AFAIK at £5M per year (10x what Steve Clarke earns with Scotland, him being the last coach to beat Spain in a competitive match, and robbed of a draw) so getting anyone from Pepe to Mourinho out, or in contract is probably just a choice of direction at the FA.

If things blow up at City with these charges I wouldn't be surprised if the FA didn't offer the job to Pepe, given he's only got a year on his contract left IIRC.

Laptop1991

It is the best paid job in International football AFAIK at £5M per year (10x what Steve Clarke earns with Scotland, him being the last coach to beat Spain in a competitive match, and robbed of a draw) so getting anyone from Pepe to Mourinho out, or in contract is probably just a choice of direction at the FA.

If things blow up at City with these charges I wouldn't be surprised if the FA didn't offer the job to Pepe, given he's only got a year on his contract left IIRC.
Yeah it is well paid, they had to do that in the past to get people to take the job, otherwise England would have had better managers than Allardyce, Hodgson and Southgate himself, not everyone will take the job as there was a club vs country issue in the past plus the media are a nightmare to deal with and while Guardiola and Mourinho sound good on paper, doesn't mean they will take the job just for money, it doesn't always work as well, Capello was a really successful manager in Italy and in Europe, but failed at an England level, plus there is the British FA to deal with, they like their yes men.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I also don't think coaching international football is for Pep, at least at this point in his career. He likes to spend a lot of time on the training pitch with players, drilling particular patterns. It's much harder to do that when you are only spending short bursts of time with the players like international coaches do. Maybe at some point in the future he will do it when he's looking to wind down his career and wants to give it a try. Like you say though, I wouldn't be shocked if the FA gave it a try.

Hrk69

Is there a main OT for this beautiful game?

If not, maybe someone creative can create one? New season is starting soon and most teams are in the middle of their pre-season friendlies

Real Madrid Kiss GIF by UEFA

germany point GIF by DFB-Teams

Last edited:

T8SC

Is there a main OT for this beautiful game?

If not, maybe someone creative can create one? New season is starting soon and most teams are in the middle of their pre-season friendlies

Real Madrid Kiss GIF by UEFA

germany point GIF by DFB-Teams

Top Bottom