• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA EURO 2024 |OT| Es Kommt Nach Hause

Ozriel

M$FT
game’s opened up now. Excellent stuff.

Still stand by my 2-1 prediction, but Kyle Walker needs to wake up and stop giving Nico Williams tons of space.

Mr Hyde

Tv Smash GIF by Ridiculousness

clarky

Gold Member
Again when will this pain end.

Spain the better team tonight and throughout the tournament Deserved winners.

Going to watch Rocky 3

Laptop1991

Get rid of Mr defensive Southgate, attacks and scores an equaliser and then back to plan A and Spain score with all the time in the world, story of Southgate,s career

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Looks like there’s something to the Harry Kane curse

Dead giveaway when he moved to Bayern that was a sure banker and still couldn’t win anything

T8SC

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Well done Spain. Best team of the tournament won. More heartache for England but we're pretty used to it by now.

Also a shout out to the topic regulars who've been here since the start keeping the topic enjoyable & the banter flowing clarky clarky Dr.Morris79 Dr.Morris79 ForAcademicPurposes ForAcademicPurposes Fret Runner Fret Runner FeralEcho FeralEcho Hrk69 Hrk69 Lukaku's First Touch Lukaku's First Touch Laptop1991 Laptop1991 Portugeezer Portugeezer DKehoe DKehoe cormack12 cormack12 IDKFA IDKFA Go_Ly_Dow Go_Ly_Dow Paasei Paasei RJMacready73 RJMacready73 sorry for anyone I may have missed.

World Cup 2026, it's coming home right?
Cheers for the mention even though I was a blow in, didn't even see this thread

clarky

Gold Member
Well done Spain. Best team of the tournament won. More heartache for England but we're pretty used to it by now.

Also a shout out to the topic regulars who've been here since the start keeping the topic enjoyable & the banter flowing clarky clarky Dr.Morris79 Dr.Morris79 ForAcademicPurposes ForAcademicPurposes Fret Runner Fret Runner FeralEcho FeralEcho Hrk69 Hrk69 Lukaku's First Touch Lukaku's First Touch Laptop1991 Laptop1991 Portugeezer Portugeezer DKehoe DKehoe cormack12 cormack12 IDKFA IDKFA Go_Ly_Dow Go_Ly_Dow Paasei Paasei RJMacready73 RJMacready73 sorry for anyone I may have missed.

World Cup 2026, it's coming home right?
Not when Lampard takes over. Eddie Howe is the man but will never take it.

Its been a wild ride, T8SC T8SC thanks for marshalling the thread. To all teh other regulars i doft my cap to you, never in my life did i think id be 6 hangovers deep in this comp.
My uncle was from Drumchapel Glasgow and his sons have been lifelong Gers supporters so there's a connection :)
At least you'll never have hope.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Not when Lampard takes over. Eddie Howe is the man but will never take it.

Its been a wild ride, T8SC T8SC thanks for marshalling the thread. To all teh other regulars i doft my cap to you, never in my life did i think id be 6 hangovers deep in this comp.

At least you'll never have hope.
So true

Go_Ly_Dow

Great tournament all. Shame to see England lose again but it was a fun ride and the best team won it.

On to the new club season and then the world cup in 2026!

SkylineRKR

England was never going to win this. They were on the easy side of the knockouts. Spain meanwhile had to send hosts Germany home, and vice world champions France. They were used to a higher level of play and I think the difference between the 2 was visible. England only played well for 45 minutes, against Holland who let them, and sparked by a laughable penalty. For the rest they played a shit tournament, but lucked out with their easy opposition throughout. But in the end you need to beat the best team performing team anyway, and they never looked like they were going to win this game.

peish

England was never going to win this. They were on the easy side of the knockouts. Spain meanwhile had to send hosts Germany home, and vice world champions France. They were used to a higher level of play and I think the difference between the 2 was visible. England only played well for 45 minutes, against Holland who let them, and sparked by a laughable penalty. For the rest they played a shit tournament, but lucked out with their easy opposition throughout. But in the end you need to beat the best team performing team anyway, and they never looked like they were going to win this game.

Argentina will disagree

Paasei

Congratulations Spain and unfortunate for England. We as Dutch know all too well how it is to lose in the final, and also from Spain…

Well, maybe the world cup will be ours.

PaintTinJr

Equally you could argue that England suffer most in current football by having the strongest league in the world - Serie A being equal or second - contested by at least 8 strong teams and therefore have the most tired squad going into summer tournaments and the least cohesive national team because there is no nucleus of just one club team proving the spine of the national team and the competitive nature of the league puts most players at polar opposites to be quick and easy national teamates.

The league strength equally impacts the quality/experience of the home grown managerial choices because when you look at the top clubs in the Prem - and sometimes even the Championship - you can see very few of those jobs have been given to English managers with patience to let them learn their trade managing a team with players at the ability level of the national team and competing in the CL and Prem.

England arguably suffered by being in a group and side of the draw where playing dominating football was non-existent from others until the Netherlands game, making their handicap of Southgate strategy - that telegraphs the low block, slow 1-up-top by making Kane his first name on the team sheet (captain) - even more of a burden IMO.

England's squad is easily the most expensive - and so assumed best - but they aren't moulded as team, and Spain did rightful win, by being the best team with an amazing squad IMO.

Melfice7

Equally you could argue that England suffer most in current football by having the strongest league in the world - Serie A being equal or second - contested by at least 8 strong teams and therefore have the most tired squad going into summer tournaments and the least cohesive national team because there is no nucleus of just one club team proving the spine of the national team and the competitive nature of the league puts most players at polar opposites to be quick and easy national teamates.

The league strength equally impacts the quality/experience of the home grown managerial choices because when you look at the top clubs in the Prem - and sometimes even the Championship - you can see very few of those jobs have been given to English managers with patience to let them learn their trade managing a team with players at the ability level of the national team and competing in the CL and Prem.

England arguably suffered by being in a group and side of the draw where playing dominating football was non-existent from others until the Netherlands game, making their handicap of Southgate strategy - that telegraphs the low block, slow 1-up-top by making Kane his first name on the team sheet (captain) - even more of a burden IMO.

England's squad is easily the most expensive - and so assumed best - but they aren't moulded as team, and Spain did rightful win, by being the best team with an amazing squad IMO.

strongest league in the world because of money, remove the foreign players and the premier league is mediocre

T8SC

Southgate resigns as England manager.

skysports-gareth-southgate_6627532.png

Laptop1991

I'm not sorry to see Southgate go, i always thought he was too defensive and you need to attack to score goals, he was also too loyal to players who were not producing the goods in his teams, and wouldn't give younger players much of a go, but the real issue now is who takes the job.

Top Bottom