• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Do people seriously think he actually intentionally made a racist comment like that? Are people so naive and ready to call him a racist?

Hey, maybe he is (and in that case he should go fuck himself). But it looks like people are, as often, ready to jump to conclusions and talk out of their asses without even thinking about other possibilities.

One thing would be for him to make a racist comment in the heat of the moment while not being interviewed. But in this case, he is being interviewed and he knows he's gonna be on J. Kimmel. Do you seriously think in that situation he is gonna refer to black people as monkeys?
I believe it's much more plausible that he is simply misremembering and he is talking out of his ass.

Do you seriously think he thought there were dancing monkeys in Rocky 3?

For the record I think my Country is Ignorantly racist.

For example an old friend who I no longer associate with would refuse to get in a Taxi with a Blackman but yet would go home and listen to Tupac.

Kinda off topic but can be a thread for another day

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'm American and gave zero fucks about that flag thing. In fact, I thought it was funny that people were outraged over Mayweather posing with it, but no word about McShitstain getting all hissy about it, threatening to fight Mayweather on site if he "disrespects" it, then proceeding to throw it on floor after Mayweather handed it to him.

So you're saying Americans have different flag standards to the rest of the world. Agreed

Its mad stupid, it's a bit of cloth that means fuck all

ITT: People argue over which piece of shit is less shitty, and try to rationalize why they are rooting for one POS instead of the other, in a barbaric fight that is most likely going to be boring as hell.

At least recognize that you are being duped and giving Floyd/Conor everything that they want by talking about this. I can admit it. I will watch this fight and support these two men financially because I am interested in the result.

____

Do people seriously think he actually intentionally made a racist comment like that? Are people so naive and ready to call him a racist?

Hey, maybe he is (and in that case he should go fuck himself). But it looks like people are, as often, ready to jump to conclusions and talk out of their asses without even thinking about other possibilities.

One thing would be for him to make a racist comment in the heat of the moment while not being interviewed. But in this case, he is being interviewed and he knows he's gonna be on J. Kimmel. Do you seriously think in that situation he is gonna refer to black people as monkeys?
I believe it's much more plausible that he is simply misremembering and he is talking out of his ass.

Would it be better if it was intentional to call black fighters dancing monkeys or if that was his subconscious just throwing it out there because those are his true feelings?

So you're saying Americans have different flag standards to the rest of the world. Agreed

Its mad stupid, it's a bit of cloth that means fuck all

Yes, I would say so. A lot of Americans treat the flag with this worship that I can't understand.

Doran902

At least no one has brought up the stupid myth "but Irish were slaves too!"

I mean, its not comparable at all to African American slaves and how long that went on and how so much racism still lingers but England was responsible for the deaths of 2/3rds of Irelands population in the 1600's and sold off thousands of people as political slaves.

Chumley

Banned
There are more cases of domestic violence than just whatever pertains to Floyd Mayweather, so to make a blanket statement about GAF on the issue is just silly. And since when has being Irish given someone an excuse to spew racist shit? News flash, most racists usually claim to not be racist when directly confronted. Some of you really need to think things through before you post.

I'm not excusing it, I'm explaining where it comes from. I just think a jounalist like Helwani should bring this up and ask him if he realizes what he said.

In several Floyd threads over the year I've been here, I've seen people say "no one is giving Floyd a pass, there's tons of posts about his DV" etc the list goes on. The truth is that he does get a pass because of his abilities in the ring, and no one wants to admit it.

You're not alone in this conclusion, plenty of people on GAF share your general revulsion at the pass Mayweather gets in the press and as an active member of a club of well connected elites who get away with heinous crimes.

At least recognize that you are being duped and giving Floyd/Conor everything that they want by talking about this.

Floyd/Conor don't give a shit that there's a 9 page thread on neogaf about what trashfire humans they are. Nobody's being "duped" into that discussion.

What they want are PPV buys.

I don't know that anyone in here is making that buy. Or contributing to that buy at a friend's house.

Velcro Fly

Somebody saying a racist thing is worse than somebody literally beating and harming another innocent, defenceless human being? I mean, if Conor's racism involved him going around attacking black people then sure, but some comments vs actual harm to another human being? It is clear Floyd is the bigger piece of shite here.

This isn't his first go around with racist shit though. This isn't an oopsie I didn't know the racist connotations to what I'm saying. This is a pattern of racially charged language and abuses directed at people he's fighting. I don't even care if he's playing up a character or trying to rile people up to appeal to a base. There are plenty of people who take this shit seriously and think it is okay to act and talk like this because someone famous did.

And lol if you don't think being racist doesn't cause 'actual' harm to people. Good fucking grief.

Lewis was an absolute gent
When I was a kid Lewis used to live in my apartment complex and I used to see him outside with a ghetto blaster blaring whike he was dancing around shadowboxing with some boxer buddy of his. His boxing coach was my summer school teacher. For that reason alone Ive always liked Lennox.

nice try

first thread only reaches 3 pages while second thread reaches 5

this one is already on 9

smh

If Floyd said some racist shit and only got 5 pages and Conor gets 9 pages so far than Conor is just better at saying racist shit. If I was Mayweather I wouldn't be pissed at all, just brings in that much more money.

Dosia

A bunch of suckers in this thread taking the bait. These dudes are making so much money off this, and doing it easily. These guys are masters of winding people up and it is evident in this very thread.

Dali

ITT: People argue over which piece of shit is less shitty, and try to rationalize why they are rooting for one POS instead of the other, in a barbaric fight that is most likely going to be boring as hell.

At least recognize that you are being duped and giving Floyd/Conor everything that they want by talking about this. I can admit it. I will watch this fight and support these two men financially because I am interested in the result.
I'm not gonna pay a dime to watch. I'll find out the result the next day. Worse case scenario I'll go to a place showing it and watch for free. Glad at least you are able to admit you're willing to eat the shit sandwich.

Ronin Ray

This is so unbelievably telling. No one ever gets to tell me again that GAF cares as much about domestic violence as they do racism.

It was a racist statement born out of IMO pure cluelessness since he's Irish. If someone asks him directly if he had racist intent I'd be shocked if he said yes.

More nonsense excuses!! He has said racist stuff about other fighters in the past and he has be in the states long enough. You sound like the people you're mad at who make up excuses for domestic violence. Also no racist people ever admit that racist what are you talking about?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The truly weird thing in this thread is Americans assuming anyone else shares their weird flag obsession

many countries in europe actually have laws against desecrating the flag (and flags of other countries), so at least americans are ahead there.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Are there any monkeys in any rocky movie? Does he mean Rocky II where Rocky is doing the commercial for the cologne in the cage where he's like Tarzan? What in the hell is he talking about?

Floyd fans are cheering for a woman beater, Conor fans for a racist. It is what it is, but don't come in here telling me this mother fucker didn't know exactly what he was saying this time and the times in the past where he said straight up racist shit.

Really weird that some people would just downplay a racist statement as heel gimmick shit instead of thinking about WHY someone would use RACISM as a means of heel gimmick shit.

joms5

I was hoping and wish that Mayweather would beat the shit out of this clown before the fight was even announced.

Now I hope he puts him in a coma.

lol start a poll lol

lol
Whyd you type lol three times ?
Lol

Im ordering this fight. I am quite excited as a fan of combat sports to see if connor can crack MM's legendary defense in the slightest. I acknowlwdge itll prob be one sided but I still wanna see, even if both fighters have unsavory pasts.

android

Theoretical Magician
To the people who keep bringing up Floyds past shitiness what has this got to do with him?? if Mcgregor was referring to black people as dancing monkeys these were totally different, completely unrelated people to Floyd. If true it really show his innate racism towards all black people not just the one man he's going to fight. The comment has nothing to do with Mayweather other than he is fighting him next month.

I'm hoping for mutual knockout. No lie. But I def won't be paying my bucks to watch it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
He made some pretty wild comments before the Aldo fight too.

Either way, I've always been a Mayweather fan. Can't wait to see him totally outclassed and embarrassed in the carny fight of the forever.

Are there any monkeys in any rocky movie? Does he mean Rocky II where Rocky is doing the commercial for the cologne in the cage where he's like Tarzan? What in the hell is he talking about?
I don't think so. There's a robot in Rocky IV though. But I don't think there are any monkeys.

To the people who keep bringing up Floyds past shitiness what has this got to do with him??...if Mcgregor was referring to black people as dancing monkeys these were totally different, completely unrelated people to Floyd. If true it really show his innate racism towards all black people not just the one man he's going to fight. The comment has nothing to do with Mayweather other than he is fighting him next month.
It's not people are saying "it's okay McGregor gets a pass because Mayweather is a Wife beater"

It's more the fact some people are now cheering Mayweather on to beat that Racist ass like Mayweather is the clean cut hero here to save the day

Top Bottom