• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Moze

Banned
Racist trumps woman beater on the hierarchy of being a piece of shit

So go Floyd I guess?

Somebody saying a racist thing is worse than somebody literally beating and harming another innocent, defenceless human being? I mean, if Conor's racism involved him going around attacking black people then sure, but some comments vs actual harm to another human being? It is clear Floyd is the bigger piece of shite here.

He comes from inner city Dublin we do not use the term "Boy" anywhere around here.

If it's anything I'd say it's the "Dancing Monky" part that could debated as racist more so than the "boy" part because where I live which is 10 mins from Conor we use the phrase "Stop acting the Monkey" which means fool here, Dancing Monkeys could also mean circus act .

But not a good look when these 2 things are in the same context though

image.php

I never said they happened at the same time?

- Man says racist stuff before

- man tells black person to dance for him

- afterwards man refers to movie in a series with no dancing monkeys as having dancing monkeys

- monkeys is a racist term for black people

this is not rocket science

This is the english language though:

there are no monkeys in rocky 3

there are no dancing monkeys in rocky 3

right after he says to floyd to dance for him he says there are dancing monkeys in rocky 3

The interpretation of this claim would be that he said this immediately after he said dance for me, boy.

When in reality it was at a different time and place altogether.

Apollo's gym isn't "Celebrity?"

And we're going to split hairs on whether or not McGregor accurately remembered the gym as being "celebrity" in nature but misremembered whether or not there were honest-to-god "dancing monkeys" in it?

Like what?

For anyone who hasn't seen or doesn't remember Rocky III

here is the first gym where Rocky trains for the first fight : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvgw2lp7FHU

and here is Apollo's gym : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGgRVJ0ByKU

darscot

It's amazing that there is a video for everybody to watch yet many didn't.

"Rocky 3... Im trying to think which one was Rocky 3. That was the one where they had him in the celebrity gym and there's a monkey... the dancing monkeys in the gym or not."

He's obviously talking about the first part of the movie, even though he misremembered the monkey part. There are no monkeys in the movie. There are a singer and girls "dancing" but that's it.

This is exactly what I thought, GAF will never understand that not everyone has the same imagery as America. The term "house ape" is something I have used for friends that always hang out at your place. I'm sure people will scream it's racist but its all in the context. Dancing monkey I thought of useless hang arounds, also the celebrity gym thing is a clear give away to me.

Doran902

I'm not from the US, I'm from Canada but after reading this thread i had absolutely no idea that "boy" was such a racist term, I had always assumed it was demeaning in the sense of "you're not a man, just a boy" had never thought of the racial element until now.

The interpretation of this claim would be that he said this immediately after he said dance for me, boy.

OK so it wasn't right after after.

It is the English language though you're right and monkeys is a terribly racist term for black people. Why are you stanning for him?

ThisGuy

I hope they beat the shit out of each other and no one pays to see this.

Not shocked about Connor at all, what I've seen of him I didn't like.

OK so it wasn't right after after.

It is the English language though you're right and monkeys is a terribly racist term for black people. Why are you stanning for him?

Why is anybody in this thread? Is calling a random person out for racism in a public forum some kind of virtue? Ok, he isn't a random person but he is random to most people in this thread. Did anybody make a thread about Floyd's racist antics at the time?

commedieu

Banned
Thought it was common knowledge this dude is racist

It's common to anyone that follows him. But folks that can't admit that, are the ones having a problem in this thread.

He's a bigot, that trolls, and backs it up with an enjoyable spectacle. ( when he's not fighting nate diaz).

I can see how it puts people off. Same with clarkson from top gear. But pretending he isn't racist is what gets you into trouble. Dude says a lot of racist shit.

You can still enjoy a bigot. If you choose to. But he's a bigot. I'd never defend that.

"Rocky 3... Im trying to think which one was Rocky 3. That was the one where they had him in the celebrity gym and there's a monkey... the dancing monkeys in the gym or not."

He's obviously talking about the first part of the movie, even though he misremembered the monkey part. There are no monkeys in the movie. There are a singer and girls "dancing" but that's it.

Literally nothing about this scene can be interpreted as having dancing monkeys. No one would refer to a quick 4 second shot of 3 girls and a dude singing as "dancing monkeys in a gym." When you think Rocky movies, you think of the fights, training montages, and speeches. Not a 4 second shot of 3 girls swaying their arms.

He was clearly referring to the very purposefully done scene of Rocky, Paulie, and Apollo entering the black gym. Paulie specifically makes racist comments about the idea of training there. It's a scene that is memorable to anyone who's seen the film, which Conor clearly has.

Pretty weird that despite growing up in a minority free bubble in Ireland, thus making it completely impossible for him to be racist, McGregor somehow knew enough that calling Diaz a cholo gangster and telling Aldo he'd invade his favela would be offensive.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

They don't have to happen right after on another to somehow make it racist.

Rival

Gold Member
Racist vs Woman Beater. And they are going to bring in $200 million in PPV dollars for a fight that will not be any good.

The comment is too vague to draw a conclusion

It's hard to feign ignorance in 2017 to the idea that equating black people to monkeys is racially insensitive, ignorant, and probably flat out racist. There are too many examples not just in America but all over the world of it being used as a pejorative (black soccer players being pelted with bananas all over Europe) for me to buy that crap.

HStallion

This is exactly what I thought, GAF will never understand that not everyone has the same imagery as America. The term "house ape" is something I have used for friends that always hang out at your place. I'm sure people will scream it's racist but its all in the context. Dancing monkey I thought of useless hang arounds, also the celebrity gym thing is a clear give away to me.

The law of the land buddy. He's in America so he better get used to American views on things like race.

Yeoman

He comes from inner city Dublin we do not use the term "Boy" anywhere around here.

If it's anything I'd say it's the "Dancing Monky" part that could debated as racist more so than the "boy" part because where I live which is 10 mins from Conor we use the phrase "Stop acting the Monkey" which means fool here, Dancing Monkeys could also mean circus act .

I don't think it was the same context though. The "dance for me boy" comment was at the press conference and the other was in an interview.

Ronin Ray

Absolutely sickening point of view you have there. There's also degrees of racism, Conor didn't commit a hate crime, he said some really stupid shit while promoting a fight.

I didn't say it was an excuse, I was directly responding to someone saying that Conor making a racist statement is just as bad as putting women in the hospital. Like, I can't even wrap my head around morals that fucked up.

No you literally said what Connor said was clueless and it wasn't it was racist and you were wrong

Boke1879

How was him saying in reference to a Rocky movie "The one with the dancing monkeys in the gym"?

He wasn't selling a fight right there. He was describing a scene in a movie. That's not selling a fight.

You're basically saying he's "acting" racist in order to sell a fight. Bull shit. You don't have to defend or downplay this.

Just like I'll never defend or Downplay Mayweather hitting a woman. He's a piece of shit for that. Out of the two people in this fight. I want him to win. It's that simple.

For anyone who hasn't seen or doesn't remember Rocky III

Again, I've already posted this video in the thread. And the other one is also present. Both were already posted and viewed before you even entered the conversation.

Your argument hinges on the idea that McGregor accurately remembered the first gym as being "celebrity" (that's if you even want to agree with the description of the first training sequence as being in a "celebrity gym" but somehow misremembered the presence of actual DANCING ANIMALS in it.

It gives the racist man the benefit of the doubt for being so not-racist that it literally wouldn't have occurred to him that using the term "Dancing Monkeys" as a description of characters in Rocky III could possibly be misconstrued/misinterpreted.

That's not a benefit I'm willing to extend to Conor McGregor. I don't know why anyone would.

finowns

It's hard to feign ignorance in 2017 to the idea that equating black people to monkeys is racially insensitive, ignorant, and probably flat out racist. There are too many examples not just in America but all over the world of it being used as a pejorative (black soccer players being pelted with bananas all over Europe) for me to buy that crap.

My point is it's hard to know what McGregor's actually talking about. The idea that he doesn't know that monkey is a racially insensitive term for black people is dumb, I agree.

darscot

The law of the land buddy. He's in America so he better get used to American views on things like race.

I'm not arguing that he should not have used it. I agree he needs to be sensitive to that kind of thing. I don't see any hateful intent the way he said it. hge may have just not realised the impact it would have.

Why is anybody in this thread? Is calling a random person out for racism in a public forum some kind of virtue? Ok, he isn't a random person but he is random to most people in this thread. Did anybody make a thread about Floyd's racist antics at the time?

Yes they did, look it up before crying about poor little Conor being exposed as a racist

I dunno what he could be referencing in Rocky III?

On topic: not sure on this remark but McGregor will get racist here at times to get under Floyd's skin, he did it to Aldo and will do it again I am sure. I think he knew full well what he was saying with the "boy" statement, even if he isn't American

HStallion

I'm not arguing that he should not have used it. I agree he needs to be sensitive to that kind of thing. I don't see any hateful intent the way he said it. hge may have just not realised the impact it would have.

What about all the racist shit he's said in the past? This is hardly the first time Conor has dropped some loaded language with no doubt what he meant.

jett

D-Member

You know what, you may be right. I didn't catch the part of a celebrity gym, or that he first referred to a single monkey. I think there's a chance he just imagined shit up. Maybe he has never even watched Rocky 3 or hasn't watched it in ages. This all could be a big misunderstanding.

Actual Conor McGregor history sadly goes against this line of thinking. But honestly it's also hard to see even someone like Conor being this brazenly racist. Referring to black people as dancing monkeys is like going nuclear-level racist for no reason at all.

You talk much about cholo gangsters and invading favelas on horseback where you're from?

darscot

Again, I've already posted this video in the thread. And the other one is also present. Both were already posted and viewed before you even entered the conversation.

Your argument hinges on the idea that McGregor accurately remembered the first gym as being "celebrity" (that's if you even want to agree with the description of the first training sequence as being in a "celebrity gym" but somehow misremembered the presence of actual DANCING ANIMALS in it.

It gives the racist man the benefit of the doubt for being so not-racist that it literally wouldn't have occurred to him that using the term "Dancing Monkeys" as a description of characters in Rocky III could possibly be misconstrued/misinterpreted.

That's not a benefit I'm willing to extend to Conor McGregor. I don't know why anyone would.

People have different slang, I assume he means dancing monkey as lackey not literally.

M52B28

Banned
I'm not from the US, I'm from Canada but after reading this thread i had absolutely no idea that "boy" was such a racist term, I had always assumed it was demeaning in the sense of "you're not a man, just a boy" had never thought of the racial element until now.
Goes back to slavery in the US.

No but defending them for racism is pretty shitty.

Point taken. I can't really speak to his comments because they are pretty bad. I have cringed each time he has used a racial stereotype in his press conferences and such. I believe that it is simply because he will use any tactic to get in someone's head before a fight and as you can see, racism is a quick way to get in someone's head. It doesn't excuse it though and I can see how it looks like I am defending him. I mean:

Off Duty Ninja
(Today, 02:46 PM)
image.php

Top Bottom