• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Dragun619

Man, Fuck both of these racist assholes. A Sham fight with both getting millions either way and they'll still continue to say some stupid ass shit that they'll never apologize or acknowledge.

I still remember that racist shit Mayweather tossed at Pacquiao back then. smh.

You talk much about cholo gangsters and invading favelas on horseback where you're from?
I hope not

I wasn't defending btw in fact I was shutting down the "Boy" being used where's he's from excuse.

I was just saying the more debacle part was the dancing monkey part than the Boy part

Chumley

Banned

This is so unbelievably telling. No one ever gets to tell me again that GAF cares as much about domestic violence as they do racism.

No you literally said what Connor said was clueless and it wasn't it was racist and you were wrong

It was a racist statement born out of IMO pure cluelessness since he's Irish. If someone asks him directly if he had racist intent I'd be shocked if he said yes.

You know what, you may be right. I didn't catch the part of a celebrity gym, or that he first referred to a single monkey. I think there's a chance he just imagined shit up. Maybe he has never even watched Rocky 3 or hasn't watched it in ages. This all could be a big misunderstanding.

Jett, c'mon.

Actual Conor McGregor history sadly goes against this line of thinking.

Okay, there we g—

But honestly it's also hard to see even someone like Conor being this brazenly racist. Referring to black people as dancing monkeys is like going nuclear-level racist for no reason at all.

Jett C'MON man

Floody

Was expecting it to at least be a little debatable, but I think it's obvious he's using it to refer to black people.
Hope Floyd beats his ass in seconds.

People are paying to see them get beaten up, so at least that's something.

One of them. Floyd will come out of this fight looking like he's just done a quick workout. If a who's who of world boxing could barely lay a glove on him the past 20 years, a guy with not a single professional boxing match has no chance.

From Floyd's perspective, this is the equivalent of paying a renowned Mathematical genius 100 million dollars to do some simple addition.

This is so unbelievably telling. No one ever gets to tell me again that GAF cares as much about domestic violence as they do racism.

It's just amazing to me that people, in general, will go out of their way to excuse terrible behavior or terrible people over inconsequential shit like sports, video games, fast food, and movies. I've done it, and we all probably do, but it's best to have some introspection from time to time and assess what one's priorities are.

It's not really a contest though.

Like, in what context is anyone telling you "GAF cares just as much about X as they do Y" anyway? Especially when that context is some sort of heirarchy of heinous being considered?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I do always remember being throwing off guard when he called Diaz "A crackhead Esay" or however you spell it

He has a clear track record but doesn't get demonized by the media. Lets all try to figure out why. He told Aldo if this were "past times" he would ride in on a horse to his Favela/home/village and murder anyone not fit for working. What time in Brazil's history do you think he is referring to?

Chumley

Banned
It's not really a contest though.

Like, in what context is anyone telling you "GAF cares just as much about X as they do Y" anyway? Especially when that context is some sort of heirarchy of heinous being considered?

In several Floyd threads over the year I've been here, I've seen people say "no one is giving Floyd a pass, there's tons of posts about his DV" etc the list goes on. The truth is that he does get a pass because of his abilities in the ring, and no one wants to admit it.

It was a racist statement born out of IMO pure cluelessness since he's Irish. If someone asks him directly if he had racist intent I'd be shocked if he said yes.

Associating black people to monkeys being racist is not some foreign concept in Ireland.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
There are fighters who are not complete pieces of shit and even good people through and through. You often don't hear about them after the fact though because nice guys tend not to get noticed as much as loud mouthed bad boys.

Attempting to apply American cultural norms to someone from from Ireland, hmm
Oh get the hell out of here.

You are aware calling black people monkeys is incredibly common in Europe.

Linfield literally just hung a sign calling Sinclair a monkey the other day for their game against Celtic tomorrow

____

The truly weird thing in this thread is Americans assuming anyone else shares their weird flag obsession

I'm American and gave zero fucks about that flag thing. In fact, I thought it was funny that people were outraged over Mayweather posing with it, but no word about McShitstain getting all hissy about it, threatening to fight Mayweather on site if he "disrespects" it, then proceeding to throw it on floor after Mayweather handed it to him.

sym30l1c

Do people seriously think he actually intentionally made a racist comment like that? Are people so naive and ready to call him a racist?

Hey, maybe he is (and in that case he should go fuck himself). But it looks like people are, as often, ready to jump to conclusions and talk out of their asses without even thinking about other possibilities.

One thing would be for him to make a racist comment in the heat of the moment while not being interviewed. But in this case, he is being interviewed and he knows he's gonna be on J. Kimmel. Do you seriously think in that situation he is gonna refer to black people as monkeys?
I believe it's much more plausible that he is simply misremembering and he is talking out of his ass.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Oh get the hell out of here.

You are aware calling black people monkeys is incredibly common in Europe.

Linfield literally just hung a sign calling Sinclair a monkey the other day for their game against Celtic tomorrow

Don't get me wrong, conor is a wasteman, but you're attributing to malice that which is explained by him just being stupid and ignorant

There are more cases of domestic violence than just whatever pertains to Floyd Mayweather, so to make a blanket statement about GAF on the issue is just silly. And since when has being Irish given someone an excuse to spew racist shit? News flash, most racists usually claim to not be racist when directly confronted. Some of you really need to think things through before you post.

Having watched the video I think its a big stretch to say Conor was referring to "black men in Rocky III as dancing monkeys".

In actual fact, he said "celebrity gym has dancing monkeys". A scene in which there are no black people.

Conor has a racist streak in him as he showed in particular against Aldo. And I definitely think he knew what he was saying with the "boy" remark seeing as though he corrected himself but did it again

But there is no evidence of racism in this video - you're just trying to stir up controversy and overlaying your own expectations on what he said.

In several Floyd threads over the year I've been here, I've seen people say "no one is giving Floyd a pass, there's tons of posts about his DV" etc the list goes on. The truth is that he does get a pass because of his abilities in the ring, and no one wants to admit it.

No one's admitting it because he doesn't really get a pass. His status as a real piece of shit is fairly well documented and cemented. That this thread is 9 pages and the other ones are shorter doesn't really mean Floyd's getting a pass, especially since most mentions of Floyd in this thread openly acknowledge what a fucking trash human he is.

The idea that the two Floyd threads being mentioned don't measure up statistically to this one thread doesn't = "Floyd got a pass." I don't understand that read.

Top Bottom