• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Off Duty Ninja said:
It seems, as usual for GAF, that you can only be racist if you're white...SMH.

It's a thread about a white guy calling a gym full of Black people "Dancing Monkeys"

The fact that the Black guy this white guy is fighting is also a repugnant human being doesn't mean... whatever it is that's leading you to complain that "On GAF only white people can be racists"

They're people who are paid to beat each other into unconsciousness with their fists. I'm not expecting them to be good human beings. It's weird seeing people outraged that these gladiators, people they'll ridicule then forget as if they never existed the moment they lose or grow too old to fight, are terrible people.

It's not really weird at all.

Why would it be weird for people watching a man be a racist piece of shit to say "what a racist piece of shit"

What's weird about that.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
No it isn't. Mayweather puts women in the hospital. I'm really sick of this forum giving that crap a pass. Conor saying some clueless shit isn't the same as actually beating the shit out of multiple defenseless women.

You can call Conor out on being a racist, while still acknowledging Floyd is an even bigger piece of shit for said reasons above. The two don't have to correlate.

Second, I could see boy being clueless since it is heavily from America, but Dancing Monkey is not. There is no doubt or excuse for his shit at all. Nor is this the first time he got caught with it.

Unfortunately most people don't even recognize those names, which is a goddamn shame.

I don't follow boxing, but I know that was the big upcoming one too.

It's amazing that there is a video for everybody to watch yet many didn't.

"Rocky 3... Im trying to think which one was Rocky 3. That was the one where they had him in the celebrity gym and there's a monkey... the dancing monkeys in the gym or not."

He's obviously talking about the first part of the movie, even though he misremembered the monkey part. There are no monkeys in the movie. There are a singer and girls "dancing" but that's it.

Alienous

They're both unlikeable characters. I think it says a lot about society when we're prepared to pay two people who, in most other walks of life, would be be considered proper cunts, a hundred mill each. We're basically glorifying the message that if you're a racist/sexist/woman beater/arrogant dick , that's ok so long as you can fight for our entertainment.

People are paying to see them get beaten up, so at least that's something.

Saganator

Had very little interest in this fight, the tiny chance of me giving a shit about this fight just went out the window. Not going to be manipulated with bullshit like this to get into my wallet or mind, whether it was intentional or not.

"Rocky 3... Im trying to think which one was Rocky 3. That was the one where they had him in the celebrity gym and there's a monkey... the dancing monkeys in the gym or not."

He's obviously talking about the first part of the movie, even though he misremembered the monkey part. There are no monkeys in the movie. There are a singer and girls "dancing" but that's it.

Whoever came up with the "dancing monkeys = black boxers in Apollo's old school gym" should feel ashamed of their words and deeds.
The only funny thing about this post is you used the same cop-out pre-excuse that Kojima used that doesn't hold up to scrutiny at all.

I posted it. People looked at it.

How is it "obvious" he's talking about that part when you just pointed out there are no monkeys and you put quotes around the word dancing.

Whoever came up with the "dancing monkeys = black boxers in Apollo's old school gym" should feel ashamed of their words and deeds.

Oh, is this a comedy bit you're doing?

Making it a black v. white thing is going to bring more viewers. That is the sad reality

The-Great-White-Hype-images-de6f2d55-8283-4ba1-84fe-f57bfe83388.jpg

I posted it. People looked at it.

How is it "obvious" he's talking about that part when you just pointed out there are no monkeys and you put quotes around the word dancing.

Oh, is this a comedy bit you're doing?

You left out the part about the celebrity gym because it didn't fit your case and you know it. (Edit : I thought you were the OP)

And I take back my last sentence because it is indeed a serious issue, even if I disagree with your interpretation.

Goofalo

They're both unlikeable characters. I think it says a lot about society when we're prepared to pay two people who, in most other walks of life, would be be considered proper cunts, a hundred mill each. We're basically glorifying the message that if you're a racist/sexist/woman beater/arrogant dick , that's ok so long as you can fight for our entertainment.

That's all sports nowadays though.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

wthayta.gif

You left out the part about the celebrity gym because it didn't fit your case and you know it.

And I take back my last sentence because it is indeed a serious issue, even if I disagree with your interpretation.

what the hell are you talking about

there are no monkeys in rocky 3

there are no dancing monkeys in rocky 3

right after he says to floyd to dance for him he says there are dancing monkeys in rocky 3

this isn't a question

Ronin Ray

No it isn't. Mayweather puts women in the hospital. I'm really sick of this forum giving that crap a pass. Conor saying some clueless shit isn't the same as actually beating the shit out of multiple defenseless women.

Sorry man but I am call complete bull shit on you. What connor said wasn't clueless he has said racist shit about past fighters too and he knew what he said. It's getting old people coming up with excuses for racist shit. Mayweather being a horrible piece of shit has nothing to do with this and it's not excuse.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Christ I watched the first time and I didn't hear the celebrity part and just went Jesus Conor what the fuck did you just say. After you typed out celebrity gym in the quote I was thinking not a hope he said that, and I watched it again and you are right. This is not a racist comment (not to say he hasn't dipped his toe in it before), just incorrect.

You could have also just put up the comment without the last paragraph though. It comes off dickish.

They are boxing. So the advantage is Mayweather's. The conditioning between boxing and MMA is also different too. MMA title fights are 5, 5 minute rounds. Whereas boxing is 12 3 minute rounds. Also the stances for each sport are way different. Mayweather has no chance in an MMA fight. Whereas McGregor has a better than no chance in a boxing match.

Ty for the explanation. Wow,now I'm even thinking of ordering this

Edit oh shit 90$ uh I'll just keep up with the OT I guess jeeez

what the hell are you talking about

there are no monkeys in rocky 3

there are no dancing monkeys in rocky 3

right after he says to floyd to dance for him he says there are dancing monkeys in rocky 3

this isn't a question

Not exactly. These things were said at two completely different times and places. Sorry for breaking your narrative.

You left out the part about the celebrity gym because it didn't fit your case and you know it. (Edit : I thought you were the OP)

What does him saying celebrity gym have to do with the dancing monkeys statement?

And why are you giving him an out by saying he "misremembered" things?

Whats the weight difference between him and JBJ?

I would love to see that fight. Bones would maul him.

Edit: Nevermind, 50lbs. Sucks. Either way, I'm not surprised. One of my old friends, that I am finding is becoming more and more racial (He's been posting Tomi Lahren videos lately, and his girlfriend has a huge disdain for Mexicans, even though her father is an immigrant from Columbia), has fully backed McGregor. His posts about him are making sense now.

I don't like Mayweather in the slightest, but there is no way you could believe Mayweather wouldn't win in a straight boxing match like this.

Every white construction worker I've talked to in Mississppi thinks that McGregor is going to wreck Mayweather. They think Mayweather is a "pussy" that just avoids fighting rather than actually trying to win. So this is definitely just catering to his fan base.

Apollo's gym isn't "Celebrity?"

And we're going to split hairs on whether or not McGregor accurately remembered the gym as being "celebrity" in nature but misremembered whether or not there were honest-to-god "dancing monkeys" in it?

Like what?

Chumley

Banned
Racist trumps woman beater on the hierarchy of being a piece of shit

So go Floyd I guess?

Absolutely sickening point of view you have there. There's also degrees of racism, Conor didn't commit a hate crime, he said some really stupid shit while promoting a fight.

Sorry man but I am call complete bull shit on you. What connor said wasn't clueless he has said racist shit about past fighters too and he knew what he said. It's getting old people coming up with excuses for racist shit. Mayweather being a horrible piece of shit has nothing to do with this and it's not excuse.

I didn't say it was an excuse, I was directly responding to someone saying that Conor making a racist statement is just as bad as putting women in the hospital. Like, I can't even wrap my head around morals that fucked up.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Sure this makes sense if the racist connotation of the word monkey when applied to black people didn't exist.

Cuburt

I haven't been following boxing or UFC at all lately, but everything I've heard about this match sounds like some total carny shit and I have no idea why anyone would want this to happen besides people trying to make money off this circus leading up to the fight.

Just knowing Mayweather's style and knowing he's taking on a guy who isn't a boxer, no matter how good he is in MMA, I don't even see this as being a good fight, or even being the grudge match people expect. Is there any reason they will even take this exhibition match seriously?

Not exactly. These things were said at two completely different times and places. Sorry for breaking your narrative.

image.php

I never said they happened at the same time?

- Man says racist stuff before

- man tells black person to dance for him

- afterwards man refers to movie in a series with no dancing monkeys as having dancing monkeys

- monkeys is a racist term for black people

this is not rocket science

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Absolutely sickening point of view you have there. There's also degrees of racism, Conor didn't commit a hate crime, he said some really stupid shit while promoting a fight.

If this was the first time Conor said something like this you might have a point. He's got a history of racist bull shit and I have no doubt this is the last time he says something racial and shitty in this press tour.

Top Bottom