• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles should never be like PCs (to consumers)

Laptop1991

I agree from a PC gaming port and point of view, PC should always be open source and not a walled Eco system like Consoles, which is why i will never buy or rent games on the Windows Store (GFWL 2), i use mods and want control of my own files, gaming or otherwise, MS is trying to tie the 2 together and i prefer them to be separate like it used to be.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Agreed, OP. Consoles should stay providing only crap resolutions, IQ, performance, input lag, loading times, bugs (no patches), no online, no mods.

Zero options to improve the consumer experiences.

/s

Nah son, we're not in 1999 anymore, why would you want to have less options? you are not forced to use most of them, you can still plug and play mostly, if not for the price i would get the PS5 Pro day one.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Sadly, no. You can't do almost nothing more with them than play games the way devs forced/limited you to.

I still continue to think that Microsoft would have had a better strategy if they had turned Xbox with an OS that lets you use it like a PC. You basically buy a PC box for a defined number of years with guarantee games run well on it for that period. A simple button press to switch between a PC to console like experience. You could use it at a desk, and hell, sell a wireless adapter to stream to TV via wifi 7 with near lossless quality. Don't want that? Plug it on TV and just use it like a console. I think there's a market for that. The problem with steambox back in the days is that Valve went with money hungry fleecing motherfucking OEMs. Do you trust iBuyPower, Alienware, Falcon Northwest, CyberPowerPC, to make a product that is not fleecing consumers? Valve fucked that up, on top of having no OS to show for it back then.

Nowadays I think the idea is totally viable.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I still continue to think that Microsoft would have had a better strategy if they had turned Xbox with an OS that lets you use it like a PC. You basically buy a PC box for a defined number of years with guarantee games run well on it for that period. A simple button press to switch between a PC to console like experience. You could use it at a desk, and hell, sell a wireless adapter to stream to TV via wifi 7 with near lossless quality. Don't want that? Plug it on TV and just use it like a console. I think there's a market for that. The problem with steambox back in the days is that Valve went with money hungry fleecing motherfucking OEMs. Do you trust iBuyPower, Alienware, Falcon Northwest, CyberPowerPC, to make a product that is not fleecing consumers? Valve fucked that up, on top of having no OS to show for it back then.

Nowadays I think the idea is totally viable.
The problem with this is, I think, it would make it too ease to break the "security/closed" aspect of the "console OS" part. One of the reasons Sony removed Linux option on PS3.

Top Bottom