• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Content delivery networks (ala Steam) are the future for gaming

Installs CS:CZ. *tries to play* cant because all the steam servers are busy due to people d/l cs:source so i cant play a game I've bought because other people are d/l stuff.

that is the main problem with steam, ohh that and the bugs that force me to reinstall the whole bloody thing

Huh. Best Buy and Walmart have lowered their price? I could have swore it used to be 5 dollars more than Steam, now it's the same price for the basic package. Is it possible Vivendi has lowered the MSRP to combat Steam?

shuri said:
Burn it to dvd. If you cant or are unwilling to do backups, then youre owned and its your problem, Find someone with a copy. Hell, I even wish consoles games would come in a steam like system. No more need for pre-ordering, or watiing in line on launch day.
So now I have to buy additional hardware and blank media to make my own 'tangible' copies? Fuck that.

I'm amazed how many people have zero problem putting so much trust into unnecessary dependencies in order to save a minimal amount and to have a small window of opportunity to play a game sooner. I can kind of understand the position of those in other territories where the price of gaming may be ridiculous but in the U.S., where gaming is quite affordable, it's just flat out silly to crave such a bullshit service, imo.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I get more, Valve gets more, and it's easy. Nothing to be amazed about, really.

Mrbob

I wonder how much Valve is gonna charge for Half Life Source seperately?

I'd rather have a physical copy too, so I wouldn't mind buying the basic Half Life 2 package in retail store. But then I would also want Half Life Source (Dont' care about Day of Defeat Source) so I may end up doing the silver package. Is there any way to get a disc and box sent to your home if you buy via steam?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You're missing a much larger picture but whatever

Actually I'm avoiding the much larger picture. I had no qualms with buying a HL2 steam package, but that's not to say that I fully endorse the steam method of distribution for other developers and/or publishers. For most games, especially single player games, I'd rather have a hard copy sitting on the shelf; too much can happen in a few years' time to disregard the possibilities of not easily reobtaining a copy of the product.

I made an exception here because Valve is already very rich, they are going to be even more rich around a month from now, and they're overall a large team of very talented individuals that will be around for a long time to come. Taking that into account, I would've still bought retail had the prices and content been the same. Silver is just a much, much better deal than the retail product, though, so it wasn't that difficult a decision.

Again, I get more content for my dollar, Valve gets all of my money for producing said wondrous content, and I'm not too worried about the big V dissolving a few years from now. That, I think, makes the both of us happy.

well in the case of steam your hard copied cd keyed storebought copy are basically just side stepping the "buy over steam and preload it)

because once you enter the key all that cd is good for is a backup (the cd key is forever linked to your steam account even offline)

epmode

Mrbob said:
Is there any way to get a disc and box sent to your home if you buy via steam?
no. if you bought the gold version, they ship the bonus items in a collector's box (which looks pretty nice,) but it doesn't include hard copies of the game.

Top Bottom