• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
In Inti we trust

KtdKZB1.jpg

Let's do this!
¡Vamos Peru!

Dartastic

Good for the mother,I'd side with her on this one. Were you yelling out f bombs left and right?
No, I wasn't! I was just trying to cheer and be LOUD, right next to the AO section! Occasionally one would slip out, but at the same time Seattle was quiet as FUCK, so I was just trying to actually chant.

Brashnir

No, I wasn't! I was just trying to cheer and be LOUD, right next to the AO section! Occasionally one would slip out, but at the same time Seattle was quiet as FUCK, so I was just trying to actually chant.

your constant thinly-veiled shots at rival-city's fans make be suspect you were acting like a real piece of shit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's the intent though.

Don't socceroos always pat each other on the face and shit? Even at full speed I don't think it had anywhere near the velocity to be clearly considered a punch or intended punch or whatever to merit a straight red.

Honestly I'm happy either way b/c we'll get to see some new guys and get them some reps if he's out, but man that ref was card happy. I can only hope the ref in ARG game is the same but that'll never happen.

tim.mbp

Don't socceroos always pat each other on the face and shit? Even at full speed I don't think it had anywhere near the velocity to be clearly considered a punch or intended punch or whatever to merit a straight red.

Honestly I'm happy either way b/c we'll get to see some new guys and get them some reps if he's out, but man that ref was card happy. I can only hope the ref in ARG game is the same but that'll never happen.

Patting on the back of the head is common.

Poeton

What does Argentina's yellow card situation look like?

I checked there game states and it looks like 7 of their players have a yellow card. But with Di Maria injured it is really only 6 players. Additionally, most of the yellows were picked up by starters and most of the following starters were rested in the 3rd game.

So the players are: Banega, Roja, Di Maria (injured), Gaitian, Mascherano, Fernandez, and Cuesta (who was a sub in the first 2 matches but started the third).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGv0bC6lQPg/

Interesting. I don't think this is super conclusive, but this video appears to show that Jones didn't even make contact with the Ecuador player. The US are apparently considering appealing the suspension.

Good luck with that
is what I was going to say but FIFA is incredibly corrupt.

Again, I see he touched the other guys face, but I'm not sure what he wanted to accomplish there. I wouldn't have shown him the red card, just a yellow.

US Soccer said they filed 'official protests' for both Jones' and Wood's cards. I doubt either of those gets lifted, but no harm in trying.

Meier

I've heard of suspensions being lifted or reduced, but never heard of a red or yellow card removed from anyone.

Red cards are regularly overturned when a mistake has been made. I don't know if I've ever heard of a yellow card being overturned if only because it's rarely an issue so teams don't typically try and have them looked at.

Yeah, it definitely was just typical "handbags" as you often hear announcers refer to it. The video seems to suggest that the Ecuador player puts his elbow up and that Jones doesn't even touch him at all -- either way, it's a very weak red.

We'll see how it goes. Wood is the big miss to be sure as will be Bedoya.. what a stupid, stupid move that was by him.

Line_HTX

I miss the USA match yesterday :(

Congrats for murricans, let's defeat argentina and show who is more white

:lol

US Soccer said they filed 'official protests' for both Jones' and Wood's cards. I doubt either of those gets lifted, but no harm in trying.

Yeah, I never heard of cards getting rescinded since I'm pretty sure the soccer governing body delays those rulings as much as possible.

US Soccer rep notes:
RE: Jones protest, read amended Law 12 which went into effect June 1. Says that contact which is “minimal and negligible” is not a red card.
Ok, so they have a shot, but...
Doug McIntyre said:
Of course, if Jones' red is retroactively downgraded to a caution, he'd still sit out the Copa semi on yellow card accumulation. #usmnt
Good point.

As far as cards getting rescinded goes, I've only really seen it with cases of mistaken identity or something else that's completely obvious like that. They don't usually do anything about borderline cases.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
missed the usa game due to work however Im not gonna miss col vs per one for sure.

Geez does this Colombian commentator breathe? It's like he's talking in fast forward. He's making me feel out of breath just listening to him lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom