• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostinatto

Jinxed.

peru-vs-colombia.jpg

If you schedule a tournament in such a way that there are games every day, the teams that play in the group(s) that starts first will always have a rest advantage. There is no way around it.

The usual advantage is 1 day for teams playing first, it should have been 2 games Thursday, 2 games Friday, not 1, 1, 2...

Brashnir

The usual advantage is 1 day for teams playing first, it should have been 2 games Thursday, 2 games Friday, not 1, 1, 2...

They could have, yes. I'm guessing TV considerations are why they did it this way.

(Really, 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday would have been way better for both the players and TV, but would have pushed the final out)

Prince

Anyone know if the area around the Levi's Stadium is save for walking? I'm not from the US and we would like to walk from the Courtyard Marriott San Jose North/Silicon Valley to the stadium tomorrow.

According to Google Maps it should be a half hour walk. Seems better than pay a lot for parking and sit in traffic for such a short distance. Thanks in advance!

PsychBat!

Banned
Anyone know if the area around the Levi's Stadium is save for walking? I'm not from the US and we would like to walk from the Courtyard Marriott San Jose North/Silicon Valley to the stadium tomorrow.

According to Google Maps it should be a half hour walk. Seems better than pay a lot for parking and sit in traffic for such a short distance. Thanks in advance!
I've never been to the one you're talking about but looking at google maps you can definitely just walk there. Tasman is generally safe with traffic.

That's Santa Clara and Levi's Stadium is right next door to Great America. It's perfectly safe lol

v1lla21

lucky bastard, you going to the match? My dad and I wanted to go but the tickets are really expensive.
Yeah I am. I bought the tickets before the Copa started so it was a gamble. Thankfully it paid off.

Yeah it's pretty safe. It's all businesses so there isn't much going on. Many people walk far to save on parking so you should be good.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Today Venezuela need all the help that we can get.

hqdefault.jpg

Chavez in USA with La Vinotinto.
El pajarito de Maduro dice que se comen 5 :p
Truth to be told I think Venezuela has a very good team, should be a fun match.

Lunar FC

2015 Copa América
Matches played: 26
Attendance: 655,902 (25,227 per match)

Copa América Centenario
Attendance: 1,116,777 (42,953 per match)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
2015 Copa América

Copa América Centenario

some of the stadiums in the US are huge, in some of the matches, it looked like attendence was low but really wasn't.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
2015 Copa América

Copa América Centenario

Ridiculous, there's no way we've seen the last of a tournament like this one. Also, last I heard they are getting this kind of attendance with stupid high ticket prices. They have to be making a killing out of this tournament.

Imagine if Neymar and a fit Suarez participated.... The Brazilian squad was like B almost C level, sort of killed the hype a little.

jnWake

Ridiculous, there's no way we've seen the last of a tournament like this one. Also, last I heard they are getting this kind of attendance with stupid high ticket prices. They have to be making a killing out of this tournament.

Imagine if Neymar and a fit Suarez participated.... The Brazilian squad was like B almost C level, sort of killed the hype a little.

Brasil is currently at a pretty low level, at least for their standards. In the World Cup qualifiers of South America they are currently 6th. Positions are very close though so they could go up easily.

Far from a fair comparison.

What's unfair about it? The stadiums are just bigger in the US. Even with really jacked up ticket prices, the attendance figures are this staggering. They would be dumb not to do this every 4 years from now on, it's literally leaving money on the table.

2015 Copa América

Copa América Centenario

American stadiums they playing are NFL stadiums, most of them a built to handle 80000 plus people, they are averaging just over half per game..

American stadiums they playing are NFL stadiums, most of them a built to handle 80000 plus people, they are averaging just over half per game..
It's a huge difference. You're making it look like its a small margin! And don't forget the ticket prices are way way more expensive than whatever they could charge in a South American country.

If Copa America doesn't come back to the US they at least must be watching this and considering to keep this merged Copa with the 6 CONCACAF teams plus the 10 from CONMEBOL. It's to idiotic not to do it.

Brashnir

If Copa America doesn't come back to the US they at least must be watching this and considering to keep this merged Copa with the 6 CONCACAF teams plus the 10 from CONMEBOL. It's to idiotic not to do it.

Totally. As an American, I don't want to necessarily see it in the US every 4 years - that doesn't seem very sporting - but this format is clearly a winner. The US and Mexico are going to be solid draws wherever they play it, and both have the stadiums and fans to put on a good tournament. Rotate it between North and South American countries, but keep the format - that would be my preference.

Lol it doesn't matter if the stadiums average attendance is only just half. The capacity at all stadiums are not identicle and it's not like the games were all put in the strongest markets of the US either. They mixed it up with the locations and it's possible to hold these in stadiums with less capacity but honestly why just to give an appearance of a sellout?

I saw someone one this board mention Chile's stadiums were full for their tournament, only for a day later a South American commentator say the attendance in the US was dwarfing the tournament held there.

If it's expanded here they should rotate each tournament host between South America, Central America and North America. Every year in North America wouldn't be right.

tim.mbp

Attendance as a success metric is bit overrated since that money goes solely to US Soccer. I believe Gulati had said something like 35000 avg would be considered worthwhile.

v1lla21

Is anyone at the stadium yet? Quick GAF meetup! Meet at v1lla21's place!
Holy shit dude I just had the biggest scare. I couldn't find the tickets and then realized they were in my glove box. Lol. My dad and coworkers were furious. It's all good now though.
Gonna go buy some meat and head to the stadium.

PsychBat!

Banned
Holy shit dude I just had the biggest scare. I couldn't find the tickets and then realized they were in my glove box. Lol. My dad and coworkers were furious. It's all good now though.
Gonna go buy some meat and head to the stadium.

shiiit dude wtf lol

have fun man, hope you enjoy the game :( :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom