• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAM09

USA's defence have to perfect tonight to keep Argentina's attack at bay. Conceding an early goal will make the task almost impossible.

Pennywise

Even beyond that, he doesn't really fit stylistically what the US needs in this match. Their best chance to score is with speed on the counter, which is not Wondo's game. I would have preferred seeing Zardes move up front with Johnson taking his midfield spot, and keeping Besler in the back.

Hopefully Zardes can still take advantage of his speed in midfield on the counter, and/orWondo pounces on some fluky bounce on a set piece.

If there is a weakness, it's Argentina and their fullbacks.
Especially Rojo is just medicore - shit, getting some fast paced wingers in would be a good idea.
Someone who can destroy the fullback and cut into the box, someone like Pulisic :p

Prediction: Wondo will be subbed off at half. Dude just is not international quality.

Wondo isn't that bad. But he's a poacher. A poacher can't really create their own shots and rely heavily on the play of their midfield. And our midfield is just sub-standard so that's partly why Wondo has been mostly ineffective.

As for the Belgium miss... yeah it was epic, but all players of all kinds of quality miss sitters at one point or another. Just ask Cavani... so I think Wondo's Belgium miss has been blown out of proportion a bit.

Most likely our chances will be few and it'll likely come either from a counter-attack or a scrappy tap in. That's how Wono has buttered his bread in the MLS. I'll take Wondo has a forward over Zardes.

Bekerman makes sense. If the game is slow-paced, he knows how to play grind-out defense.

I'm not a fan of Zusi though. I would have preferred Nagbe, so we would have at least one person who could be capable of retaining possession, so we're not on defense 99% of time.

Arials

As someone who doesn't watch soccer too much could someone let me know how tough of a match this will be. Is there a decent chance this is a complete blow out?

Argentina have a lot of world class players - especially in attack - and beat Mexico 7-0 in the last round.

LAM09

Previous upsets. Will tonight be another?

Clg_oEEUoAAdmfI.jpg

Argentina have a lot of world class players - especially in attack - and beat Mexico 7-0 in the last round.

Chile beat Mexico 7-0. Argentina beat Venezuela 4-1 in the quarters.

gutshot

Fox pre-game shit about soccer becoming huge in American is lol, if the NFL was on right now, Copa would be ignored...

Yeah, but unless they specifically said soccer is bigger than the NFL I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. The ratings for the Copa have been quite good, so interest is definitely there.

Nope.

It's sad this is on FS1 and not Fox proper. It's summer, WTF is Fox showing that they can't bump?

Yeah. This is really disappointing. Ratings for this match could have rivaled some of the best US soccer matches of all-time had they moved it to Fox.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Stadium full, weird seeing that in a football match in the USA. World Cup in the US would've been amazing, fucking FIFA.

Meier

Disappointed about Wondo over Pulisic but not surprised. I think Argentina wins 3-2, but I do think we have a shot.

bettinggaf? Over 2.5 goals?

I think that's a very safe bet. The US will score at least one and 2 for Argentina would be a realistic result.

FuturusX

Only Fernando predicted what we all know is coming. It's funny when "analysts" pick the home side due to love of country.

At least for the most part they are picking USA to win on penalties, which is on current form, the most probable outcome, if the USA are to get past Argnetina.

In all honesty they are employed to keep as many viewers from switching off...so.

I can't see the USA back 4 defending well enough for 90 minutes. If USA win - Argentina have to have a stinker. Which is entirely possible of course. But unlikely.

Toxi

Banned
Dark blue just ain't the same.
As someone who doesn't watch soccer too much could someone let me know how tough of a match this will be. Is there a decent chance this is a complete blow out?
I doubt it, the US has a lot of pressure to play defensively because Argentina is so infamously strong on attack, so even with how great Argentina's lineup is they won't score often.

I think the big thing for us (USA), is not to give up a goal in the first 20 minutes. If there is an early goal, I could see things falling apart very quickly.

On the other hand, if we can make it to 0-0 at half-time, then anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom