• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunBR

86DF04CCB.gif

Do your thing Messi please !!!

dead.gif

but why Messi is Hyoga?

Ugh. I do not like Biglia. Amazing to have Angelito back though.

I guess Fernandez is pretty hurt.

Welp, Di Maria is out. Probably Gaitan will play instead.

I don't know about Fernandez, I asumed he was injured.

Edit: Gaitan is injured too. Lamela will be then. (Di Maria is not totally out yet).

Ostinatto

dead.gif

but why Messi is Hyoga?

it's a joke xD

A good portion of argentine football fans called him "Pecho frio" (Cold chest/cold heart)
because of the world cup finals in Brazil and the last Copa america.

They also blamed him because he doesn't run in the finals.

im3tsu0wiafb01_zpsad6e841d.gif

xD

it's a joke xD

A good portion of argentine football fans called him "Pecho frio" (Cold chest/cold heart)
because of the world cup finals in Brazil and the last Copa america.

They also blamed him because he doesn't run in the finals.

im3tsu0wiafb01_zpsad6e841d.gif

xD

He's pecho frio because he's pecho frio (I.e. NOB)

I still can't believe Martino hasn't been paid for something like 7 months.

What the hell is going on in the AFA?

Can any Arg-Gaffer explain this to me?

Tecl0n

Don Julio died and left a power vacuum. So all the bullshit around AFA is finally coming to light since its been a few years since his death and those that remain dont have his, erm, bussiness savvy. The heads of AFA and a bunch of former goverment officials are under investigation. Save for around 3 or 4 first division teams, all the others are bankrupt. They only stay alive by discretional cash transfers from AFA.

Isn't martino a Pecho frio too then? xD

Of course. That's why it's a little victory if Pizzi wins.

AFA is just a microcosm of FIFA. It's pretty much the most visibly corrupt organization in ARG (outside of Kirchner's govt), but people love futbol too much to push them heavy on it. It's funny how much leverage they have.

EDIT: Also, I HEARD that there isn't much fandom heading into the tournament for ta-ta, and they don't mind fucking him if they can. It's all pretty messed up.

Kinda funny to call NOB pecho frio (but true) when is hard to be more pecho frio than CEN in the last libertadores or copa Argentina or campeonato local or.. etc etc :D

The bolded is all that matters. No further comment.

Don Julio died and left a power vacuum. So all the bullshit around AFA is finally coming to light since its been a few years since his death and those that remain dont have his, erm, bussiness savvy. The heads of AFA and a bunch of former goverment officials are under investigation. Save for around 3 or 4 first division teams, all the others are bankrupt. They only stay alive by discretional cash transfers from AFA.

AFA is just a microcosm of FIFA. It's pretty much the most visibly corrupt organization in ARG (outside of Kirchner's govt), but people love futbol too much to push them heavy on it. It's funny how much leverage they have.

EDIT: Also, I HEARD that there isn't much fandom heading into the tournament for ta-ta, and they don't mind fucking him if they can. It's all pretty messed up.

Thanks to both of you.

So... the AFA gets money in a regular basis, but they have to spend it in other "more important" stuff than Martino's salary?

You're right, it's a messed up as hell situation.

Regardless if you like him or not as a coach, you can't deny Martino loves his national team. I respect that.

He seems to me like a more than decent guy, very humble too.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Regardless if you like him or not as a coach, you can't deny Martino loves his national team. I respect that.

He seems to me like a more than decent guy, very humble too.
Yeah, cool dude, sucks hard as a coach though.

I'm really wishing for a decent ref in the finals, last time Chile was all 'bout kicking the shit out of Messi with impunity.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Have a feeling argies are going to run riot in the final, Chile plays too risky any team with decent ball handling players is going to give them problems if the first line of pressure is beaten. tons of space to exploit for the forwards, and lets face it, Argentina has probably the best attacking force in the world.

The added rest for Argentina might play a big factor, too, specially when Chile plays such a high-tempo style. If Argentina can weather the first 15-20 minutes in which Chile come out like demons out of hell with relentless pressure, it's not going to look pretty for Chile IMO.

g0tm1lk

Black_Red

The cup is official, what's the point if it wasn't? lol

I mean, until last week it was said that Chile would retain the Champion title until 2019, since this was a special cup. And they didn't say that the title was in play until today that means if Chile loose we'll be the first team to be the champion only for a year...

Ostinatto

WTF is this? http://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/...gana-el-titulo-de-copa/2016-06-24/141326.html

"Cmon guys, Messi needs another chance!"

(Sorry, couldnt find an english source, but CONMEBOL said this cup is suddenly official and the winner get the "copa america champions" title even when they're not going to confederations cup and they cant use the copa america champion's emblem on their shirt...

Lol, what a load of crap, Conmebol needs Argentina to win something pronto, t's BETTER business i guess.

- the Centenario is commemorating 100 years of Copa América.
- the cup is played a year after the last official Copa América.
- the cup is played in USA.
- 6 Concacaf teams are participating.

xD

I mean, until last week it was said that Chile would retain the Champion title until 2019, since this was a special cup. And they didn't say that the title was in play until today that means if Chile loose we'll be the first team to be the champion only for a year...

Sounds like Chile better win then! Why would La Roja be scared?

Maybe they can actually win the match this time.

That's the spirit! Argentina won't be sitting back waiting for a tie and penales, not after last year. They know they can beat Chile from the first game of the tournament, so the confidence is there. Chile looked very rough the for 75 minutes against Colombia, but they can score goals in droves when everything is clicking.

May the best team win.

Black_Red

Sounds like Chile better win then! Why would La Roja be scared?

Because Argentina is the strongest team in the world, last year Chile did a perfect match (as in, made no mistakes) and Argentina made mistakes that did cost them another final. I know we can beat them this sunday, but it still feels like if Chile wins, next year CONMEBOL will announce the SPECIAL COPA AMERICA CHAMPIONS MATCH for the real title.

tim.mbp

WTF is this? http://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/...gana-el-titulo-de-copa/2016-06-24/141326.html

"Cmon guys, Messi needs another chance!"

(Sorry, couldnt find an english source, but CONMEBOL said this cup is suddenly official and the winner get the "copa america champions" title even when they're not going to confederations cup and they cant use the copa america champion's emblem on their shirt...

I thought it was known since it started. Winner get the special trophy plus name of the regular Copa América trophy and on the official list of winners.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/06/03/2016-copa-am-rica-centenario-trophy-unveiled

I thought it was known since it started. Winner get the special trophy plus name of the regular Copa América trophy and on the official list of winners.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/06/03/2016-copa-am-rica-centenario-trophy-unveiled
Yes, I thought so too. The first time I read about this Copa America "not counting" was actually in this thread.

Edit: I also read about this special cup way before last year's Copa America was played. So I really can't see why it would be seen as "give Argentina a chance" thing.

Black_Red

Yes, I thought so too. The first time I read about this Copa America "not counting" was actually in this thread.

We had people from ANFP and FIFA saying this was only a commemorative cup and Chile should still be defending champion on 2019.
Again, Chilean source but still
http://redgol.cl/2016/6/comisario-chileno-de-la-fifa-asegura-que-n/

The same was said even during last year cup, before Chile won (we had copa america news the whole day lol)

gutshot

My understanding was the only thing that didn't "count" from this tournament was the Confed Cup birth. Chile already clinched that and the results from the Centenario wouldn't change that.

Clydefrog

Happy birthday, Messi!

Also, I hope Colombia is ready to be served a cold dish of revenge tomorrow... and maybe some hot dogs if they behave.

tim.mbp

We had people from ANFP and FIFA saying this was only a commemorative cup and Chile should still be defending champion on 2019.
Again, Chilean source but still
http://redgol.cl/2016/6/comisario-chileno-de-la-fifa-asegura-que-n/

The same was said even during last year cup, before Chile won (we had copa america news the whole day lol)

It's totally possible they said one thing in the US to garner support from sponsors and fans and said something different in South America. They did have to move fairly quickly after the indictments to get new deals in place.

My understanding was the only thing that didn't "count" from this tournament was the Confed Cup birth. Chile already clinched that and the results from the Centenario wouldn't change that.

Same here. Everything I've read is the winner gets the Copa America and some special trophy (probably made of chocolate)

Right. But guys were saying this Copa wasn't official, and it clearly is.

"La Copa América Centenario, una competencia organizada para conmemorar los 100 años de CONMEBOL, también confiere un título oficial registrado por la FIFA, que coexistirá con el título otorgado en la Copa América 2015", cerraba el comunicado.

An official title, registered with FIFA, that will coexist with the 2015 title.

Right. But guys were saying this Copa wasn't official, and it clearly is.

An official title, registered with FIFA, that will coexist with the 2015 title.

The irony here too is that this is arguably a more difficult tournament because of its inclusion of CONCACAF.

Either way, I understand it would be shitty to have Chile be champs for only 1 year if ARG were to win.

This clearly wasn't thought out. So, the winner gets the official Copa, an official title win notation from FIFA, but isn't the defending COPA champ.

The irony here too is that this is arguably a more difficult tournament because of its inclusion of CONCACAF.

Either way, I understand it would be shitty to have Chile be champs for only 1 year if ARG were to win.

This clearly wasn't thought out. So, the winner gets the official Copa, an official title win notation from FIFA, but isn't the defending COPA champ.

Exactly. It's basically about protecting Chile in terms of representing CONMEBOL in the Confederations Cup. I say that's fair. I don't think anyone gives a shit about who is the "official" champ come the 2019 tournament.

Klinsmann says Howard is starting tomorrow. Otherwise, he will likely stick to the lineup that played the first four games for the US, though both Johnson and Brooks are nursing injuries and didn't train fully today.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
3rd place in this tournament is a really great finish.

We played Colombia tough in the first game and had a few bad breaks. I think we can pull this off.

If Dempsey's finishing had been better in that first game we could have come away with a tie. Though we really do need another goal scorer on the field that can play at the international level. Lot of shitty injuries to our striker pool this last season.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If Dempsey's finishing had been better in that first game we could have come away with a tie. Though we really do need another goal scorer on the field that can play at the international level. Lot of shitty injuries to our striker pool this last season.

I asked this before, but what happened to Aaron Johanson? He looked like a European player at times. Great technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom