• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunBR

lets say Trump wins and gets a second term, his time will be over by 2026, don't have to worry about him...only way he's president 2026, he loses 2016, and wins 2020 to 2028....
In 2024 he will end his term as president Trump...and start his term as emperor Trump

Clydefrog

Brazil during the World Cup overachieved. They got lucky they got first in the group stage, Got lucky against Chile, played decently against Colombia (that early goal made it possible), they didn''t faced any powerhouses until Germany .

Never mention the G word to a Brazilian

This is the end of previous Brazil generation... Is another ever going to come? Honestly Brazil doesn't even look as bad as I expected them too, but there's no potential whatsoever....

I think William is the best by far. Nymar could be OK if he has good support, but William was good even when Chelsea were doing terribly.

I know it's probably your spellchecker .. but it's Willian, not William

Anything but the Azteca would be to be oblivious to the history of the sport.
That's the problem. Azteca is the only correct choice. USA can't argue against it. No one can. Why would anybody suggest anything but the Stadium that hosted two finals before it?

It's best to have USA do it all themselves. Co-hosting will get them the short end of the stick which I feel they don't deserve. I'm sure they can make a grand tournament.

SalvaPot

That's the problem. Azteca is the only correct choice. USA can't argue against it. No one can. Why would anybody suggest anything but the Stadium that hosted two finals before it?

It's best to have USA do it all themselves. Co-hosting will get them the short end of the stick which I feel they don't deserve. I'm sure they can make a grand tournament.

Not two finals.

THE two finals.

zebaz08

Would anyone here like the CONMEBOL and CONCACAF to merge? I think I'd like that, cause my country (Peru) would have slightly better chances at qualifying to the World cup (which hasnt happenned since before the 80's I think ):p.

FuuRe

Would anyone here like the CONMEBOL and CONCACAF to merge? I think I'd like that, cause my country (Peru) would have slightly better chances at qualifying to the World cup (which hasnt happenned since before the 80's I think ):p.

I don't know about that, you would add 10 or so more teams to the mix so it would become a euro qualifiers v2, I don't see a clear benefit attached to it.

Also MexiGAF and GringoGAF will shit on you just for thinking about it.

Told y'all Brazil had no team.

Part of it is that this is a B team and in the past Brazil's B team was better than the rest of CONMEBOL's A teams. That past seems so distant now.

That should have been an Ecuador win though. Ugh.

Right now as CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, both confederations get more World Cup entrants separately than they would likely get as a merged confederation.

Santiako

No, but I would love if the Copa América was CONMEBOL+CONCACAF forever tough.

clemenx

Banned

Nah. Conmebol has the best qualifiers and they're only possible with the number of teams we have. It also makes it possible that half of Conmebol can qualify to the WC so our weaker sides of South America actually have more chance of qualifying here.

Maybe the USA + Mexico money is enough to offset that but other than that I don't see any positives in merging.

zebaz08

Nah. Conmebol has the best qualifiers and they're only possible with the number of teams we have. It also makes it possible that half of Conmebol can qualify to the WC so our weaker sides of South America actually have more chance of qualifying here.

Maybe the USA + Mexico money is enough to offset that but other than that I don't see any positives in merging.

Actually, I believe that it would give weaker teams in South America better chances as CONMEBOL is often regarded as the toughtest league after UEFA. It would also rise up the level of competition for lots of teams. But maybe im wrong, not really a big football fan except when my country's team plays.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
if brazil had all their best players, could they still field a decent team? other than neymar and thiago silva (is he even good anymore? not sure), i can't really think of very many top players from there.

Santiako

if brazil had all their best players, could they still field a decent team? other than neymar and thiago silva (is he even good anymore? not sure), i can't really think of very many top players from there.
This Brazil team is their best players sans Neymar, they have a few rough years ahead of them.

Told y'all Brazil had no team.

"It's been a long day, without you my friend"

R10-SITE-Brazil%E2%80%99sGolden-Generation.png

"And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"

If its USA/MEXICO, theres going to disputes on where the final is held.

Just give USA the chance to shine, We've hosted it twice, unless USA really needs the votes, they should try and invest in it themsleves. Besides we want to host it by ourselves as well, We've gotten a couple new stadiums lately many others renovated
The US doesnt want to share and I hope they mean it. A World Cup in Mexico would be a corruption fest here leaving us even more in debt, with more taxes and probably an even more devaluated peso.

The US can keep the WC. They'll do a better job anyway.

Mexico is already a regular participant of Copa America and Copa Libertadores. World Cup Qualifiers and Copa Sudamericana (which we did compete and even won once) is all that'd be left to be fully CONMEBOL.

But yeah I also want a merged Copa America permanently (not so much merged confederations tho).

Question for brazillian gaffers:

What in the hell happened to your football? I mean... as others have pointed out, you used to have tons of awesome players.

Is there a specific reason that can explain it? I can't believe Neymar is currently the only world class player you have.

The situation is truly baffling to me.

Mexico is already a regular participant of Copa America and Copa Libertadores. World Cup Qualifiers and Copa Sudamericana (which we did compete and even won once) is all that'd be left to be fully CONMEBOL.

But yeah I also want a merged Copa America permanently (not so much merged confederations tho).

I too support a Copa America merger, but CONCACAF loves their Gold Cup way to much to part with it.

I also love a Copa Libertadores merger but traveling and scheduling could be hell.

Yeah but as far as I understand you don't "qualify" to Copa Libertadores, you're just invited, right? is not that the same team will be in consecutive tournaments. For instance, last year Tigres played the final against River Plate, this year they were nowhere to be found... besides, if you ever win the Cup you gain no access to World Cup which is stupid in my opinion. Mexico and Argentina have the overall best teams of America right now.

Question for brazillian gaffers:

What in the hell happened to your football? I mean... as others have pointed out, you used to have tons of awesome players.

Is there a specific reason that can explain it? I can't believe Neymar is currently the only world class player you have.

The situation is truly baffling to me.
Man, I don't really know. We always thought several talents would emerge once every few years. In every decade we had a B team strong enough to compete in every tournament.

The most reasonable explanation is that we are prioritizing strength and stamina instead of technique since the youth system. Brazil is still revealing good defenders and defensive midfielders. In the Champions League final we had Marcelo, Filipe Luis, Casemiro and Danilo playing, all mainly defensive roles. But the lack of talented strikers and attacking midfielders are baffling.

The domestic league level is shit, the best managers are the ones who can make defensive and compact teams with efficient goal ratings. It's all about efficiency now, not about creativity like how it used to be.

Man, I don't really know. We always thought several talents would emerge once every few years. In every decade we had a B team strong enough to compete in every tournament.

The most reasonable explanation is that we are prioritizing strength and stamina instead of technique since the youth system. Brazil is still revealing good defenders and defensive midfielders. In the Champions League final we had Marcelo, Filipe Luis, Casemiro and Danilo playing, all mainly defensive roles. But the lack of talented strikers and attacking midfielders are baffling.

The domestic league level is shit, the best managers are the ones who can make defensive and compact teams with efficient goal ratings. It's all about efficiency now, not about creativity like how it used to be.

I see, thanks for your input.

I always say there are only two countries that I never imagined not having kickass teams: Brasil & Argentina.

Today and for several years, Argentina has been far away from the years where they had an impressive and intimidating team, like the ones that had Batistuta, Maradona, Burro Ortega, Caniggia, Ayala, etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, they are still excellent, but not intimidating anymore.

But Brasil, wow, it has been for some time truly mediocre (if not bad). Looking at that previous picture with so off the chart incredible players is well... sad.

Those were the good days when even when they kicked your team's butt, you had no choice except to hat off to them, cause they were so good and solid.

Yeah but as far as I understand you don't "qualify" to Copa Libertadores, you're just invited, right? is not that the same team will be in consecutive tournaments. For instance, last year Tigres played the final against River Plate, this year they were nowhere to be found... besides, if you ever win the Cup you gain no access to World Cup which is stupid in my opinion. Mexico and Argentina have the overall best teams of America right now.

Mexico's teams have to win the Copa MX (kinda like the Copa del rey version of Mexico) to qualify to the Libertadores. Most teams use their subs in that tournament, which is why the best Mexican teams at the moment don't usually qualify to the Libertadores. They prioritize the league which qualifies them to the Concacaf champions league instead. But Yea, they wouldn't even be competing in the Libertadores if Conmebol didn't want it.

Just like in South America, teams from the Mexican league have to qualify to Libertadores. That's how Tigres can play the final last summer and not even appear in the next tournament. Why? Because they didn't qualify. Mexico is invited and that means we get three spots in Libertadores but those spots need to be earned by individual teams. No one gives us anything for free on Libertadores. There's even a shitty ass rule saying that by default the 2nd leg of the final match cannot be played on Mexican turf, it has to be in South America! If anything we're playing at a disadvantage because of our status as invitees.

Yes I remember that! River was the worst second place if I recall correctly and what you're saying was the reason which they played at home the last match. It would be great if Mexico can be officially part of the Cup, most of the best teams comes from there. :/

Salsa

I have a lot of friends in venezuela

but my bitch ex is also from there

mop the floor jamaica

also drinkin coffee tremblin cause 3 hours left

There's like 200 people in the stadium. Maybe they shouldn't have priced tickets the way they did.

There's actually more offense in the early going this game than there was in Brazil-Ecuador.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLLLLLL

This ought to lift the spirits of the people of Venezuela, however briefly. I know things are not good in that country right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom