• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Suarez is probably playing the third match

he's injured but it honestly depends on how we do

if we do great without him we'll probably wait till he's more fully recuperated

Nice, we already got a goal in the first 15 minutes of action today compared to the 270 minutes yesterday.

Hopefully the Copa starts to pick up.

Fake edit: RED CARD!!!

Kinda wanted us to face Luis Saurez, see how we do against someone like him.

But we still got to worry about Cavani, The few times I watch him play, he tends to be amazing. Apparently other times hes just alright, But i heard he plays out of position at PSG

Salsa

Kinda wanted us to face Luis Saurez, see how we do against someone like him.

But we still got to worry about Cavani, The few times I watch him play, he tends to be amazing. Apparently other times hes just alright, But i heard he plays out of position at PSG

he tends to plays better in PSG than in Uruguay IMO

probably played the best at Napoli tho

Don't know why they thought high prices for some matches were going to sell.

Should've lower it big time and maybe people would've thought it could be a great way to spend a Sunday.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The attendances are really awful. If this tournament is not that interesting for the American spectators maybe it should have been organized somewhere else. Or make the tickets very cheap for the less interesting games.

Wasn't Mexico the second choice for hosting?

Which is weird because we are concacaf nations, but Conmebol need that money for stuff and things. You would think being greedy, you'll be smart enough to make plans for maximum profits

Salsa

And the first winners too

well since we're also the first World Cup winners we're still aiming for this for the 100th anniversary of that:

gU0kE5Y.jpg

tho because of accomodations it's now apparently turned into this

8543.jpg

here's hoping. At a certain point you should respect these things, specially for FIFA to try to save some face under new people

The attendance situation would have been better if they hadn't priced everyone out of the park. Also, the real money for this tournament is coming from the TV companies, that's probably the main reason it was held in the US.

Seeing Arnold Schwarzeneggar pimping a shitty mobile game pretty much summarizes how I feel about mobile.

That makes way too much sense.

Seriously though, why is it being played in the US? I haven't followed this tournament that much.

Why not? They've been trying to promote soccer in the US for decades. The US is like the last frontier in terms of expanding the game's fanbase, it already dominates the rest of the world.

I think they overestimated the draw as the tournament instead of the teams. They should of used double-headers for the group stage.

US is still the most profitable host in CONCACAF. Maybe they should of let Mexico bring two teams.

well since we're also the first World Cup winners we're still aiming for this for the 100th anniversary of that:

gU0kE5Y.jpg

8543.jpg

here's hoping. At a certain point you should respect these things, specially for FIFA to try to save some face under new people

mentioned it last night bu no way the world cup in 2030 isn't held at least partially in Uruguay. it's too hard to pass up the pop and circumstance and the self fellating FIFA loves to do.

mreddie

gU0kE5Y.jpg

8543.jpg

At least you get the games still?

Salsa

mentioned it last night bu no way the world cup in 2030 isn't held at least partially in Uruguay. it's too hard to pass up the pop and circumstance and the self fellating FIFA loves to do.

I'd agree with you but it's a hell of a thing

we're a small country with few accomodations, and less money

i'd love for them to find the way to do it and I wanna think they'll try. Doing it with Argentina might make it possible.

we're a 4mil ppl country. It's gotten to be a pretty damn big event to handle

but, yeah. FIFA needs to do some work to gain people's trust again and respecting Futbol's legacy would be a way to go

Why not? They've been trying to promote soccer in the US for decades. The US is like the last frontier in terms of expanding the game's fanbase, it already dominates the rest of the world.

The Copa América has always been a south american affair. That's why I'm asking if there's a special reason to play in the US and not, let's say, México, which has participated a lot more in the tournament.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This is a valid reason, but then they should have priced the tickets much lower to really help expand the fanbase.

There are youth tournaments that get more spectators than some of these matches.

correction: FIFA in full-on Emergency mode, and with a new president who seems like a somewhat chill dude who actually has a hard-on for latin america specifically

England has been craving a World Cup, FIFA is going to cave in and I feel its either 2026 or 2030.

They might be like..."well they won the Second one as well...2034 instead"

correction: FIFA in full-on Emergency mode, and with a new president who seems like a real chill dude who actually has a hard-on for latin america specifically

Hopefully. There are already rumblings of shenanigans with the audio leaked of him trying to force out one of their independent auditors.

Salsa

yeah that's why I edited "real" chill into "somewhat" chill lol

whoever's a FIFA president is gonna be kind of an ass when he needs to I guess. I just want no (realistically; less) bribes

clemenx

Banned
Crowd is good for this match tbh. Problem is these NFL stadiums are too big and are going to look empty. Most stadiums for these competitions outside the main matches usually are 30-40k stadiums. Probably should have used MLS venues for matches like this one.

The Copa América has always been a south american affair. That's why I'm asking if there's a special reason to play in the US and not, let's say, México, which has participated a lot more in the tournament.

Well this is an expanded 16-team tournament with 6 representatives from North and Central America, so it's not strictly South America for this out-of-band special celebration tourney.

This is a valid reason, but then they should have priced the tickets much lower to really help expand the fanbase.

There are youth tournaments that get more spectators than some of these matches.

Yeah, they really should have tried to get more people in for some of these lower draw group stage matches. I mean Jamaica is a tiny country and most of Venezuela's fans aren't in a position to travel to the US for a tournament at the moment. There was just no way that they could have filled even a fraction of Chicago's Soldier Field, an NFL stadium that seats 61,500 people, with just fans of the two countries' teams, they needed some native Chicagoans to show up if they wanted a respectable turnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom