• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is seriously underselling the atrocities hooligans were responsible for in the 80s.

Perhaps you're right. But Mexicans have been getting worse over the past ten years. If something isn't done soon then things could eventually spiral out of hand like with English Hooliganism in the 80s.

Anyway great game today. Glad CONCACAF finally got a win. As a USA fan, I wish we had the talent and creativity of Mexico. If the US scrubs out on Tuesday, I'll probably root for Mexico for the rest of the tournament.

Nephtis

Anyway great game today. Glad CONCACAF finally got a win. As a USA fan, I wish we had the talent and creativity of Mexico. If the US scrubs out on Tuesday, I'll probably root for Mexico for the rest of the tournament.

As much as I love the Mexico team (I was born in Mexico), I was really rooting for USA to do well - I was really disappointed with the game I saw.

Salsa

Carlos sanchez' (uruguayan player) wife got a bottle to the head by mexican fans. had to be attended by the team doctor

christ.

other than that, Muslera and Cavani apparently saying one of the assist refs grabbed his balls at them when they looked at him complaining about a play (hand on that goal) and that obviously led to some of that reaction

Yeah, there is always a big portion of Mexican fans that are really shitty. That is why I never go to the Xolos games in Tijuana. Their fans are terrible, they made a fucking mess when the team won the national league. They also take the "putos" chants to a worst level by adding more to it.

Caturro

Me too. I don't get why Sampaoli left Chile, they were playing really good at the WC and last year's Copa América. It should be an easy win for Argentina, I guess.

Easy win, huh? We will see ;)

Sampaoli left because his name was dragged through the mud after the FIFA scandal exploded and his ridiculous contracts with Jadue, the ex Chile FA president currently about to be sentenced in the US in the FIFA case, got leaked to the public.

The relationship with the public and the players got sour after that so it made sense for him to leave. It was an unfortunate situation all around.

Still, I have faith Pizzi will straighten out the ship. The team is still getting used to him and if the game against Mexico is anything to go by I think he's finally getting there.

Easy win, huh? We will see ;)

Sampaoli left because his name was dragged through the mud after the FIFA scandal exploded and his ridiculous contracts with Jadue, the ex Chile FA president currently about to be sentenced in the US in the FIFA case, got leaked to the public.

The relationship with the public and the players got sour after that so it made sense for him to leave. It was an unfortunate situation all around.

Still, I have faith Pizzi will straighten out the ship. The team is still getting used to him and if the game against Mexico is anything to go by I think he's finally getting there.

I think the Vidal accident was a part of that too, wasn't there pressure for him not to be included on the team and Sampaoli ignored that?

I think the Vidal accident was a part of that too, wasn't there pressure for him not to be included on the team and Sampaoli ignored that?

The pressure existed, indeed, but Sampaoli leaving our national team had nothing to do with that. The Vidal incident was forgotten and forgiven pretty soon, specially after we won the Copa.

As Caturro said, he got exposed regarding money issues, so basically after we won, Sampaoli was an hero, the architect of our success and the next day, when all the shit related to Jadue exploded, he became a greedy fucker, for a lot of chileans.

The love for him ended in a pretty abrupt way.

gutshot

It makes sense in some ways. Superior infrastructure to host the tournament is a big plus. However, its kind of screwing all the South American teams to come to another continent to play their championship tournament. The less said about the Gold Cup the better.

Yeah, merging makes sense and is something I've hoped for for years.

I always figured that they would rotate the hosting responsibilities between US, Brazil, Mexico and Argentina though; or something like that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It makes sense in some ways. Superior infrastructure to host the tournament is a big plus. However, its kind of screwing all the South American teams to come to another continent to play their championship tournament. The less said about the Gold Cup the better.

The merger is pretty much ideal for everyone involved.

gutshot

The Gold Cup have been very good for countries without experience to rise. Hope they dont cut too many teams out

I think a merged tourney would be even better. Teams like Haiti, Panama, and Jamaica getting to regularly play powerhouse teams like Brazil and Argentina would be huge for them.

$$$ rules all.

If true it will be bizarre to have two separate confeds sharing a tourney like this. I also expect some sort of rebranded Gold Cup to crop up to pull in some more money.

Honestly the whole thing sounds a little flaky to be true. It would be more believable if the regular tournaments still run during the off-years of this combined toruney.

EDIT - Reading the article again it does never explictily state that the other tourneys are going away so I guess that makes it more possible.

shoplifter

I'd actually *expect* it to be in the US every time, if only because of the money that can be made on attendance. I'm not saying that it *should* be, but I can see the money being the motivating factor, along with the fact that there's no need to upgrade infrastructure and the stadiums of enormous size are already there.

If the cups are merging it should not be held in the US every time.

Countries could realistically host - USA, Mexico, Brazil, and perhaps Argentina?

90% chance that if this Copa Panamerica happens it wouldn't be hosted in the United States every time.

More like a rotation between the big federations involved for hosting. So maybe in 2020 host it in Argentina.

You have to look at it from a more practical stand point. How many of the South American countries are in a financial position to be regularly hosting massive tournaments? This more than anything would be why CONMEBOL agrees to the US hosting. Big rich country foots the bill.

Tagyhag

I'd be okay with Copa America in the US permanently only because it'd be immensely easier for me to go watch the games in person.

I don't want Mexico to be a home team every time, playing in South America had made us better.

I mean did Conmebol really think Mexico was going to do good in Copa America when they invited us?
Also what a slap to the face of every South American team

Salsa

well this is technically the end of the 100 year old regular Copa America

and we have won the most

so im just gonna take this as we being the ultimate winners to be okay with it

it doesnt count now you fools!

No it shouldn't be US every time. Give other countries a chance as well.

EDIT: On that note I do remember that some people say that major competitions like WC and Olympics should only be held in rich nations like the US come to mind and remind me that some people think this is a great idea.

well this is technically the end of the 100 year old regular Copa America

and we have won the most

so im just gonna take this as we being the ultimate winners to be okay with it

it doesnt count now you fools!

Except this tournament is not official, so it means Chile will be remembered forever as the last champion.

Hell yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom