• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corpse Party Book of Shadows |OT| Soup is Good for your Eyes.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icCrr6hhW04sA.png

iMmYu8RjPeDZm.png

Publisher: XSEED
Developer: Team GrisGris/5pb
Genre: Adventure Horror
Platforms: Playstation Portable, PlayStation Vita (via Backwards Compatibility)
Genre: Adventure Horror
NA: January 15th 2013
EU: January 23rd 2013
Official Website: http://www.corpsepartybookofshadows.com/
ibsMoX48I0KSox.png

ibyA7Jft3puxjK.jpg
If you knew the fate that you are destined to befall would you change your actions in hopes of salvation,
or would this serve to pull the noose tighter around your neck?

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows is a compilation of eight short stories set before, during and after these
events, "fleshing" out the experience and further developing its characters and mythos alike.

Some chapters take place in an alternate timeline, where characters go into the events of Corpse Party
with foreknowledge of the fates that are destined to befall them, granting them a rare opportunity
to make different decisions and potentially avert their grisly demises.

Other chapters detail events leading up to Corpse Party, providing insight into the minds of some of its
less prominent characters and revealing the influence they may have had in the grand scheme of things
(or the influence it may have had on them).

And the final chapter, available only to those who have either played through the first Corpse Party or
seen every wrong end in Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, details events from approximately two weeks
after the first game's conclusion, delving deeper into the mystery as two characters frantically search for
answers in a location even more cursed and uninviting than Heavenly Host Elementary itself…

iMmYu8RjPeDZm.png

iRjedIfqVYHN6.png
ibkjotAtqS36dU.jpg

Yui Shishido
What makes this overzealous teacher's assistant tick? Corpse Party: Book of Shadows steps back a few years
and looks at Yui in the past, during her senior year of high school. Back then, she wanted to be a teacher more than
anything... but was she ready for it? Could she handle the responsibility? As an aspiring educator, where did she
turn for help and support when she needed it? And perhaps most importantly... could she survive the deadly curse
of Kisaragi High, or was her role destined to come to a premature end?​

Yoshiki Kishinuma
Though impulsive by nature, Yoshiki can be surprisingly level-headed when the situation calls for it, easily serving
as a voice of reason for those around him. His near-obsessive care and concern for Ayumi is what drives him onward,
and he's willing to do whatever it takes to ensure her safety, even at the cost of his own. But in a place like Heavenly
Host, is it really possible to protect another human being, or are one's efforts better spent on self-preservation?​

Satoshi Mochida
A doting brother, good friend, attentive student and all-around honorable individual, Satoshi is also a bit of a wuss
(a fact which he himself readily admits). As a result of these personality traits, he's generally among the first people
others look to as a leader, but the last person who should ever be given that role. And of course, when the time loop
occurs, he's the only one who fully remembers all the events yet to come.
Can he keep his friends out of harm's way, or will his meekness affect his credibility?​

Naomi Nakashima
Haunted by feelings of deja vu, Naomi seems to know bits and pieces of the harrowing events that are destined
to occur within Heavenly Host Elementary School. Determined to find some way of changing fate and preventing
these tragedies from coming to pass, she must learn to suppress her own dark urges and control her inner demons,
before it's too late.​

Seiko Shinohara
For longer than she can recall, Seiko has harbored feelings deeper than mere friendship for her bosom(ed) buddy
Naomi, but has chosen to suppress them in order to support Naomi's wishes and dreams for the future. Once the
nature of Heavenly Host becomes clear, however, Seiko realizes that her time on this earth may be limited, and
she must decide whether to come clean or continue living a lie...​

Mayu Suzumoto
Unconsciously aware of the grisly end that fate has in store for her, Mayu embarks on a desperate search for her
classmate and "rock," Morishige. Always struggling to stay one step ahead of certain death, Mayu's justified paranoia
and careful planning help her reunite with old friends, and even make new ones. But the clock is ticking, and there
are only so many places she can run before whoever (or whatever) is pursuing her finally catches up...​

Ayumi Shinozaki
Ayumi is perhaps more in danger than anyone else in Heavenly Host due to her natural receptiveness to spiritual energy.
If she's not careful, she could become so deeply and completely possessed that her own soul would be lost forever --
and there's no telling what might take its place. Her only hope for salvation lies in the friendships she's forged with her
classmates... but will that be enough?​

Yuka Mochida
Satoshi's little sister, Yuka is not unlike a spoiled princess, always getting her way and depending on her big brother for
absolutely everything. When separated from Satoshi and forced to act on her own for the first time in her life, however,
Yuka has only two options: take charge and survive, or panic and perish under Heavenly Host's many deadly torments.
Does she have what it takes, or is this destined to be her last stand?​

iZdeOdxLRNFIN.png

Sakutaro Morishige
In the real world, Morishige is a loner. He's a stage actor for whom no one cheers, and a man with no real tact or social graces.
A lifetime of this has made him an introvert, and as far as he's concerned, his only real friend in the world is Mayu, who regards
him just as strongly as he regards her. But without Mayu around, Morishige is forced to find comfort wherever he can... even if
it means obsessing over the dead while ignoring the living...​

ibsMoX48I0KSox.png

iWOQJCfr38apN.png
ivvjxkhTURE4h.jpg

Unlike the previous game you have point and click game-play in Book of Shadows. Explore Heavenly Host
thoroughly and found your way out.​

i8leIZ2VRBMjL.jpg
"Darkening" system emphasizes the need to keep calm since you gradually become frightened and unstable,
distorting the game's graphics and altering their decision-making abilities.​
ixqiuFpEcBo7J.jpg
iMmYu8RjPeDZm.png

iMZ9oNoY7WZuN.png

ib1p0pbHS0RvZc.png
iBRG4976PJn2R.png

ibgz4xqadhlYRF.png
i4v8IrRpqRliI.png

cj_iwakura

My headphones are ready.

Is it true this is even more deranged and terrifying than the original? Because boy that's a tall claim to make.

Also, is the Sachiko's Birthday game totally a comedy, or is it one massive setup for nightmarish horrors? I got that vibe from the demo.

Seiko, we hardly knew ye. And now that will change.

Hype!

EDIT: Holy crap, that screenshot w/the child's crayon drawing is horrifying. wtffffffff.

apricot

Soooo excited for this! It'll be my first game of 2013

My headphones are ready.

Also, is the Sachiko's Birthday game totally a comedy, or is it one massive setup for nightmarish horrors? I got that vibe from the demo.

I played the demo too, from what I've read it's completely parody, no real horror.

Can't wait to bust out my headphones again for the game, the first one was pretty chilling if you had a good pair to wear while playing it.

Durante

Hehe, you actually chose that title. That scene really stuck in my mind, I wonder what will scar me in this one :p

Varion

Poor Morishige, such a loner he has to have a separate picture.

My headphones are ready.
Is it true this is even more deranged and terrifying than the original? Because boy that's a tall claim to make.
Deranged? Yes. While I didn't find anything as horrifying to watch as that bit at the end of Chapter 4 in the original, the whole thing is just twisted in a way that slowly eats away at your soul the more you play it. A few chapters in particular are just... disturbing is the word of the day, I guess. After doing a chapter of this a night for a week (except for 7 and 8 in one night because I was way too hyped to go through 8) it took a few days afterwards to feel entirely normal again, hah.

Terrifying? Probably not the one to answer there because I didn't find the original 'scary' as much as 'intense'.

And like apricot said it's just silliness, and largely regarded as terrible (except for the last few chapters which are supposed to be better, though not good enough for me to actually buy the thing). If it doesn't get localised no one's missing a thing.

So I got the 'true' ending as well as the 'canon' ending used in BoS, but if I want the other bad ends, is it worth it? I've heard some of them are just plain wrong.
They are, but I'd still say do them. Some of them have worthwhile character development in them, some of them are just... memorable but I'd say most of them are worth doing so you might as well do them all. A few of them get mentions here and there in BoS too, so if you've seen the ending it's relating to it makes it a bit more... I hesitate to say enjoyable but yeah, you get the idea.

Looking forward to seeing the reactions to this one, while I still preferred the original overall Book of Shadows is great at what it does - the twistedness, the depression when you really get to like a character you already know dies, the atmosphere (and there's more use of binaural sound than the original had), and then just building around the edges of the original with character development and extra plot bits. And the final chapter is just glorious. Spent the whole game looking forward to it after finding out it was a direct sequel to the original game and it still managed to deliver. So good.

One of the only XSEED games I won't buy. I'm too scared :x
This sounds like me before I actually played it, heh. Always hated horror games, horror movies, just about anything with horror elements at all after being petrified of the dark as a kid. Still don't like it very much. Heard some of the original's music, really liked it, everyone around me seemed to be playing it but I resisted because of the horror thing until everyone gave up trying to get me to play it. Got spoiled on one of the bad ends and that was it, I was definitely not going to play it, because I didn't want to see that CG or anything like it in a game ever (funnily enough after finishing it that CG is still my most hated in the game, even if it wasn't the hardest bit to watch.) And yet somehow there was still that little bit of curiousity I couldn't fully shake and I ended up playing it anyway - and somehow loved it. Single biggest gaming surprise of last year.

Not that this'll be everyone's experience, but if there's any more people out there like me who think they'd like it but the horror scares them off they should really give it a go. Just the original first and not this one.

cj_iwakura

They are, but I'd still say do them. Some of them have worthwhile character development in them, some of them are just... memorable but I'd say most of them are worth doing so you might as well do them all. A few of them get mentions here and there in BoS too, so if you've seen the ending it's relating to it makes it a bit more... I hesitate to say enjoyable but yeah, you get the idea.

Looking forward to seeing the reactions to this one, while I still preferred the original overall Book of Shadows is great at what it does - the twistedness, the depression when you really get to like a character you already know dies, the atmosphere (and there's more use of binaural sound than the original had), and then just building around the edges of the original with character development and extra plot bits. And the final chapter is just glorious. Spent the whole game looking forward to it after finding out it was a direct sequel to the original game and it still managed to deliver. So good.

Well, if nothing else, I hope (CP1 spoilers)

this has a nice ending, not a soul-crushing one.

Not expecting much.

cj_iwakura

Okay, so I didn't enjoy the first one at all. Is there any reason I should try this one out?

If you didn't finish it, you won't have an emotional attachment to the cast, so probably not. This one's gameplay is totally different though.

Bears mentioning: getting this localized is one heck of a shocker.

If you didn't finish it, you won't have an emotional attachment to the cast, so probably not. This one's gameplay is totally different though.

Bears mentioning: getting this localized is one heck of a shocker.
But I did finish it. I didn't develope any emotional attachment to the characters though. If the gameplay doesn't play like the RPG Maker game the last one did, maybe I might find it more enjoyable based on that fact alone.

I hope this one doesnt feel so disjointed compared to something like 999 or VLR.

This one's gameplay is totally different though.
This cannot be overstated.

The visual novel format seems like a much better delivery mechanism for the horror atmosphere, rather than walking back and forth to the same room while jamming the 'x' button hoping to find something.

I hope this one doesnt feel so disjointed compared to something like 999 or VLR.
Well jeez, that's like comparing filet mignon to...... roast duck. Something arguably around the same quality, but noticeably very different in taste and texture.

cj_iwakura

But I did finish it. I didn't develope any emotional attachment to the characters though. If the gameplay doesn't play like the RPG Maker game the last one did, maybe I might find it more enjoyable based on that fact alone.

This is pretty much a VLR type game. You'll enjoy.

Rahk

Just started the first one a couple days ago. I suppose I should finish that to find out if it's too scary for me before buying this one.

Still not entirely sure what this is. Is it more like a side-story just with minor fleshing out, or can stuff actually be changed? Like, can we actually save some of the characters that died in the original?

cj_iwakura

Still not entirely sure what this is. Is it more like a side-story just with minor fleshing out, or can stuff actually be changed? Like, can we actually save some of the characters that died in the original?

The whole premise is that they have a chance to try and make things right. Will they succeed? Only one way to find out.

Well jeez, that's like comparing filet mignon to...... roast duck. Something arguably around the same quality, but noticeably very different in taste and texture.
I just meant in terms of having a cohesive story. OG Corpse Party seemed to want to tell a good story, but it seems like it didn't put enough effort towards the character development. It suffered from having too many characters and not enough time to fully flesh them out.

Endesu

Here for day zero, just like the original.

From what I played of the JP demo (pretty much the entirety of Chapter 1, if I recall correctly), it didn't seem too enthralling, but I imagine an English translation will help wonders.

Prepare for troll at the end of said chapter.

I just meant in terms of having a cohesive story. OG Corpse Party seemed to want to tell a good story, but it seems like it didn't put enough effort towards the character development. It suffered from having too many characters and not enough time to fully flesh them out.
That's a valid complaint for sure. Especially when comparing a bunch of similarly aged high school students to the delightful misfits from 999/VLR.

Buuuuuuuuuuut since you managed to slog through the first one, by default the characters will be better defined from the start since you're familiar-ish with them from the last game, right? Maybe?

I think the prequel side stories will help quite a bit in that regard though, in terms of giving them a few more story beats to give lend extra personality.

Varion

More like a side story. There's three kinds of chapters, ones that take place before the original which are canon, the alternate universe ones which aren't (they're purely to show you what ifs and develop characters), and the sequel chapter at the end. The sequel chapter follows on from the original's true end, and that's where the series will continue from in the future as well.

The ones who died in the original are dead and gone regardless of what you do in the rest of the game, this just gives you a chance to get to know them better. So basically the answer to the second question can be summed up with 'No' I guess.

Book of Shadows does a much better job with regards to character development so it might make you like the original a bit more there, but at the same time it's more short story-ish and like a really good supplement to the original game so it's probably going to feel less cohesive as a game on its own. Kind of hard to tell what you'll think of it, though the gameplay's completely different at least.

Hmm...I forgot how the previous game ended. Can someone brief me?
Short answer that probably contains a few inaccuracies
...they break the curse and the school starts a-crumblin'. They escape and end up back in the real world, but nobody at school (outside that group of friends) even acknowledges the existence of the people that died. Satoshi mentions how there's still a vengeful ghost doing vengeful things even though they appeased one. Then it's revealed that Seiko forgave Naomi, which I think we had already known at that point. SOMETHING like that.

Varion

Short answer that probably contains a few inaccuracies
...they break the curse and the school starts a-crumblin'. They escape and end up back in the real world, but nobody at school (outside that group of friends) even acknowledges the existence of the people that died. Satoshi mentions how there's still a vengeful ghost doing vengeful things even though they appeased one. Then it's revealed that Seiko forgave Naomi, which I think we had already known at that point. SOMETHING like that.
Bit hazy on the details, but from what I remember:
Basically they manage to free Sachiko, but she's the only one they manage to free - the others who died there are still trapped in the school. After saving her they have one chance to break out and go back to their world, because the school basically has a life of its own at that point and has already started making a replacement for Sachiko. So they all get out the school building, do the ritual and get back to their own world, while Yuki (the really sweet one of the ghosts who takes Yoshiki and Ayumi out after they temporarily free her in Chapter 4, but then Ayumi wants to go back in and save the others and Yoshiki follows her) gets turned into the next Sachiko and Heavenly Host continues largely business as usual. But when they get back out to the real world everyone who wasn't in HH with them doesn't remember the ones who died, and as far as the real world is concerned they never existed. And naturally they're all pretty scarred for life. The End.

Tizoc

I swear if I didn't have to manage what I wanted to buy each month from US PSN, I would've gotten it when it was out =_=.
As is I'll grab it in the next few months.
...and smart move with the subtitle...that part really stuck out. *shivers*

Lucent

Can't wait for this. I really loved the first game. Gonna only play at night with headphones on in the dark like I did with the first game. Nothing has made me feel horror as much as this game.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm ready to be freaked out of my mind... again. The first game's ending did a number on me.

cj_iwakura

Well I'm ready!
AAvXIl.jpg

Bring it on next week! I wish I could take screens on the Vita like I did with my CFW PSP but oh well.

Try as I might, I could not get screen capture to work on my CFW. :( Help would be wonderful.

CP reinstalled. Time to really finish Chapter 5.

God, I hope one of the expanded backstories centers around Morishige. He's a pretty interesting character.

I have a feeling he and I were cut from the same cloth.

Anyone know how Book of Shadows compares in length to the first one? Just curious.

One of the only XSEED games I won't buy. I'm too scared :x
FWIW, I can't really play horror games generally (have tried Resident Evil, Dementium and Nanashi no Game in the past and always had to give up pretty early on) but I was able to get through Corpse Party pretty easily.

In honor of this momentous occasion, my favorite piece of music from the first game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDp3MXmuCxQ

EDIT: and just for kicks, the PC-98 version of the same song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mP-NlTE21k
The soundtrack for the first one was completely awesome and so not what I expected.

Ponn

Banned
I almost have the damn book trophy for P4G that will get me my plat. As soon as I get that i'm going back to corpse party and finish that and just may spend that $20 in my PSN wallet on this.

Jazzem

Definitely grabbing this, played the original on Halloween 2012 and loved it...well, I think so anyway; it was so horrible ;_; Scared me to death playing it at night with earphones, but I couldn't put it down. I still need to get back to get all bad endings, though it would mean wading through my mess of save files.

I'm glad this one supposedly uses 'binaural sound' more, I thought that was really effective in the original yet ultimately underused. Much kudos to the folks localizing this, especially for those of us in PAL territories!

EDIT: Now that I remember, I hope this one calms it down a bit on the
sister-brother lust, eww
(DON'T HIGHLIGHT IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED CORPSE PARTY)

mollipen

EDIT: Now that I remember, I hope this one calms it down a bit on the
sister-brother lust, eww
(DON'T HIGHLIGHT IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED CORPSE PARTY)

I really don't think it's that—it's just a difference in how relationships can sometimes work in Japan, and how Japanese people differ than those in the West in showing affection for one another. I see similar confusion of "OMG LESBIANS" when it comes to the relationships between female friends in Japan, and it's nothing of that sort.

Top Bottom