• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

Jme

Just a quick note to say that I fixed the OP, all the images were jacked up thanks to URL changes.

While I'm here, is Grubbins on Ice worth the $5? I can't seem to justify it to myself...

Jme said:
Just a quick note to say that I fixed the OP, all the images were jacked up thanks to URL changes.

While I'm here, is Grubbins on Ice worth the $5? I can't seem to justify it to myself...
Well, if you liked the original, it's just more of the same. It's interesting to see the Grubbins in their own world and the new costumes are neat. Plus, it has a wacky cliffhanger ending.

Peff

Jme said:

It's basically a fourth "hub" complete with bobbing, lost kids, new costumes, stamps... It's more of the same in a good sense, assuming you like the original game.

Lain

Bought the bundle of Costume Quest + Grubbins on Ice at the start of the month on PSN, and I really liked both games (although Grubbins was a little bit too short imo, but made up with an interesting ending). The dialogue was funny, the graphics charming and the gameplay rewarding enough.
The slowdowns did make things a little bit annoying here and there though, as well as the transformation playing each time a battle happens, but using the various costumes and battle stamps to find the more fitting ones was nice, although to win against the boss in Grubbins I had to pick a specific setup of costumes and stamps that I didn't exactly like, but oh well.
Being able to pause the game when there are cutscenes to read the bubbles is a nice touch.
All in all, a really cool game. I hope there will be some more of it in the future, especially given the end of Grubbins, although I'd hope for something longer and more variegate than Grubbins was.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Had Costume Quest on Steam for a while... finally pulled it out of my 50+ game backlog at random and dove in tonight.

And man... I am REALLY loving this game. Very late to the party, I know. On paper the game shouldn't be anything special but it's such a nostalgia trip and the gameplay is so innoffensive that I just couldn't pull myself away and had a big smile on my face the whole time.

It also has that trademark Double Fine writing that manages to be funny but still heartfelt... not sure why no one else is able to accomplish such "feel good" writing in games. Or maybe the problem is no one else is trying?

In any case, I hope more CQ is on the way. Dunno how the game sold, but surely enough for another XBLA/PSN go-round?

Amory

Man I started playing Costume Quest earlier today and I'm probably just gonna play it all the way through in 2 sittings. Such an awesome, charming little game. The graphics are fantastic, the gameplay is simple but fun, and the humor is surprisingly great (when I saw the Arrested Development reference I lost it)

I'll definitely be buying the follow up.

Man I started playing Costume Quest earlier today and I'm probably just gonna play it all the way through in 2 sittings. Such an awesome, charming little game. The graphics are fantastic, the gameplay is simple but fun, and the humor is surprisingly great (when I saw the Arrested Development reference I lost it)

I'll definitely be buying the follow up.

Just to warn you, Stacking and Iron Brigade are nowhere near as charming or fun as Costume Quest.

The DLC is OK, but since you can't replay the main game with the new costumes, it doesn't add any replay value.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So yeah, I've had this sitting on my PS3 for quite a while now, but never got too far into it. Picked it back up today and basically beat it in one sitting. Wonderful game, AMAZING writing. I laughed my ass off at some of the references DF threw in there. Will probably pick up the DLC once my money situation's a bit better.

But yeah, wonderful, charming-as-fuck game. Loved it. :D

bangai-o

Banned
myself and two girls played this game today. A 4 year old and 6 year old. Both of them really liked it. The exploration and trick or treating was fun. they always hated when a goblin answered the door, but liked winning the battles. It was mostly just the 6 year old playing, and she just mashed through the battle system.

the issue with the game though was the font size. We were playing the game on a fairly large tv, and both of them are doing pretty well for reading at their age group. As most kids this age, are very interested in trying to read. But, the font is so small, that after a while they just gave up trying to read the story. I didnt even want to bother with the story either after some time. I recall Stacking also having a super small font. Does Double Fine not notice this at all?

Bladenic

DLed today because of the sale. Dunno when I'll have time to play, will probably try and play it closer to or on Halloween though I also have Dead Space 2 now and AC3 will be coming.

bangai-o

Banned
I didn't have any issues with the font size. Are you playing on an HDTV or an SDTV?

screenlg11.jpg
it obviously looks fine on a pc screen. we were playing on (i think) a 42 inch screen, likely 720 hd. now that i look at it right now, the font itself is not the best choice for reading. i just feel like developers look at how it looks on pc screens and not consider how the game will look in the living room.

Luigison

I started Costume Quest for the first time yesterday since I thought my daughter would enjoy watching it in preparation for Halloween. My play was to play a little each day or so until Halloween, but we couldn't stop playing and just finished it tonight. Double Fine should be working on DLC or a sequel instead of making a documentary.

Ixion

I've made it a tradition to re-play this game every October. It just perfectly captures Halloween.

Top Bottom