• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Corto said:
Just found a bug... :( I'm stuck with the French Fries costume because the lure ability is not working properly. I've searched and it seems to be well spread out and it was caused by a game update. As of now there is no solution other than to start a new game........... I was enjoying the game, but not that much. What a pity! Maybe latter on I'll gather the time and will to begin a new game but for now this certainly has damaged Double Fine's image for me.
NOOOOOOOOO

Thought it was just me that it happened to :(

Full stop at that point. I was really into it too :( And I didn't want to play the expansion before finishing the game. Is the DLC supposed to be post game content or independent of the main story?

Fusebox

Banned
I started playing the demo of this last night, bought the full game and finished it about 4:30 in the morning. I haven't had a marathon session like that for a while, this game is awesome. The writing is brilliant, it had me loling quite a few times, just a shame it had to end.

Final team was
Space Warrior with extra damage for dps, Knight with counter-attack for defence and Statue of Liberty with health regen for heals.

I was a bit hesitant about the Halloween theme because we don't really do it in Australia but now I want them to release a new CQ adventure for every holiday there is. :D

Amir0x

Banned
Just got through Grubbins.

Yeah, just very disappointing. This game was extremely difficult to not like, I tell you what. Love the art style, love the sense of humour. It's all very endearing and sweet and sort of captures the essence of youth kinda extremely well.

But the gameplay is just...man. What a shame.

It feels like in this instance this absolutely needed to be fleshed out into a full retail game. The battle system was offensively simple - just the addition of a defense button would be an improvement over this bare bones system. There's virtually no strategy of any kind to be had. Stick with any costume, the strategy is the same. attack two turns, use special ability. Rinse repeat. The "timed" button presses are telegraphed so large that it becomes just a waste of time, you might as well just begin with players getting the attack boost and defense boost because you'd have to be blind or dumb to actually miss the window of opportunity on these things.

Because it's so short, none of the game is fleshed out the way it should. The idea of costumes and each having its own unique ability is actually brilliant. There would be amazing opportunities for puzzle solving and RPG questing, but it's over in 4 hours and you basically use each suit ability like once the entire game. So nothing was given the time to really evolve into something meaningful. It's all like a good foundation.

You can tons of battle stamps, but again there's no need to care. There's very little necessity to care about anything regarding the battles. I've never seen such rudimentary RPG gameplay before.

It's such a quaint, appealing game on the surface. It's got a great style and sense of humour, genuinely. But a damn shame about that gameplay

Zoc

I loved the demo for this, but it's not on the Japanese PSN, and for some moronic reason, I can no longer add funds to my Canadian account from Japan. (I tried three cards, one of which I used just this summer with no problems. Frustrating. Even worse is the thought that I won't be able to get Stacking, either.

Massa

Zoc said:
I loved the demo for this, but it's not on the Japanese PSN, and for some moronic reason, I can no longer add funds to my Canadian account from Japan. (I tried three cards, one of which I used just this summer with no problems. Frustrating. Even worse is the thought that I won't be able to get Stacking, either.

Do you have Paypal? Problem solved.

ijed

Amir0x said:
Because it's so short, none of the game is fleshed out the way it should. The idea of costumes and each having its own unique ability is actually brilliant. There would be amazing opportunities for puzzle solving and RPG questing, but it's over in 4 hours and you basically use each suit ability like once the entire game. So nothing was given the time to really evolve into something meaningful. It's all like a good foundation.

You can tons of battle stamps, but again there's no need to care. There's very little necessity to care about anything regarding the battles. I've never seen such rudimentary RPG gameplay before.

Probably because it's aimed at kids and is meant to be light and accessible but agree it's a little too watered-down. Would like to see something more like a turn based Little King's Story in the CQ world.
Also a hardcore mode would be pretty fun - Masses of ridiculous stats and some grubbin in black that you could spend your candy to upgrade stats.... They could add random dungeons that made use of the costume abilities and more uses for the collector cards :D

Hoping for more dlc or further expansion on this IP - it's a nice relaxing romp.

Zoc

Massa said:
Do you have Paypal? Problem solved.

Thanks! I googled for something like that, but every other site either charges a huge markup or wants shipping to send the actual card. This place does neither... good Samaritans!

EDIT: This is still a little frustrating. CQ + the expansion are 19.98, so 20.98 after tax, even with a fake Alberta address. I'd have to get two $20 cards and have $19 left over. I guess I'll wait and see if the game goes on sale, so it'll fit under the $20 mark after tax.

Jme

Wow, I knew this DLC was announced, but I guess I was so busy over December I totally missed this release.

Odd because I subscribe to the Playstation.Blog rss and never saw it mentioned - just went and checked and sure enough it was there... buried way at the bottom of a store update post that highlighted a Sega sale.

Guess all the hype for the original faded out before the DLC hit?

I'll pick it up soon but I'm really bummed out about the lack of coverage. 3 weeks late and I'm only finding out about it because I thought to myself "hey, whatever happened to that DLC?"

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I learned that you can save anytime in the game by calling the policeman. That was my only gripe and now the game is officially awesome in terms of gameplay and well, anything.

Kevtones

Ok, so fuck you Double Fine.

I bought this game at launch, played through halfway and got bored. Tonight, I'm bored again and I said 'HEY, LET'S FINISH COSTUME QUEST' so I booted it up and updated...

Wow, French Fry glitch. DF's response is 'You can start over fresh and the glitch won't affect you!'.

It doesn't work like that Double Fine. I shouldn't have to spend my time doing everything because you won't take the time to fix a GAME RUINING glitch.

Ugh. Here's to ruining Stacking's sales.

Kevtones

dwin45 said:
What's the French Fry glitch? I just started playing and don't want to run into any game ruining glitches.

When did you buy, d/l the game?

If your save state is from before the recent update you cannot actually finish the game. The only way to play through it is Double Fine's suggested 'lose your progress because we don't feel like patching' method.

Meier

Started playing tonight..picked it up last week on PSN during the sale. Fun game but super repetitive. Terrible frame rate unfortunately.

johnsmith

remember me
Picked it up during the half off sale. Worth it at 7.50, but probably not at $15. Seems like it is way too short. Wish it had some voice acting.

Best part of the game was the AD reference.
29vi336.jpg

Come on!

Just started to play CQ yesterday. I've had the game sitting on my '360 since day one, but never played more than the first 30 minutes due to all the retail games from last fall.

I'm glad I browsed the last page of this OT. I started a fresh game to avoid that nasty bug that the Title Update created.

I just finished trick or treating through the neighborhood and I can now access the locked gate. I'm loving the game so far! Looking forward to playing through it, and the GoI expansion, over the next few nights.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Just finished Grubbins. I don't like that its more of the same, but the writing was funny, as expected. I see they set it up for DLC, though I wonder how they could possibly explore the lore more outside of additional seasons/holidays, and just how they could expand character development.

Aspiring

So just purchased this from XBLA on sale. I have a quick question. Is the DLC good? For 400 points its either this or another game thats on sale. How long is the DLC, and is it as good as the main game story wise etc?

Aspiring said:
So just purchased this from XBLA on sale. I have a quick question. Is the DLC good? For 400 points its either this or another game thats on sale. How long is the DLC, and is it as good as the main game story wise etc?

it's precisely more of the same. PErsonally i was a bit bored of the game by then. It started as a honeymoon because of how cute it was, but the shallowness amirox mentioned made the non-dlc game just about enough (or to be honest, just a bit too much).

Ledsen

Just finished this game in one sitting, couldn't put it down. One of the most charming games I've ever played, no doubt about it. I love everything about it, and the battles, while repetitive like in 90% of all turn-based jrpgs, aren't drawn out over 30-40 hours and so don't really have time to get on my nerves. I think 5-6 hours was the perfect length for this game. Such a fresh breath of air and an amazing experience.

Ledsen

Give me mooooore! Immediately after finishing the game I went and bought Grubbins on Ice. Finished that the next day, and still want more :( Come one Double Fine! I don't know why, but this game is extremely comforting and relaxing to me. I just can't get enough.

yamo

Finished CQ yesterday and I really enjoyed it. My favourite costume was the french fries one just because the awesome victory dance!

Ricker

Ledsen said:
Give me mooooore! Immediately after finishing the game I went and bought Grubbins on Ice. Finished that the next day, and still want more :( Come one Double Fine! I don't know why, but this game is extremely comforting and relaxing to me. I just can't get enough.

Yeah,I was hoping for an Easter CQ maybe but looks like that won`t happen,maybe something for this summer or we will have to wait for Halloween again or this Thankgiving hehe...unless they have no plans to keep going with it...Im not sure if we ever saw numbers for how well the game sold...

mclem

Ricker said:
Yeah,I was hoping for an Easter CQ maybe but looks like that won`t happen

To be fair, wasn't the first announcement of Grubbins on Ice only something like a week before release? It's not impossible, I guess.

Ravidrath

I'd buy another CQ expansion, but at this point I'm hoping they're working on a CQ2 for Halloween 2011 with an improved battle system, more enemies, etc.

londontko

Like most of you I bought this during the first week, played a few minutes and dropped it. Picked it up today installed the update, played for the better part of 4 hours and THE FUCKING FRENCH FRY GLITCH. I haven't been this pissed off at a game in a long time, no fix either? Thanks Double Fine, I was going to finish this game and buy the DLC I liked it so much but now you can go fuck yourselves.

Ledsen said:
Just finished this game in one sitting, couldn't put it down. One of the most charming games I've ever played, no doubt about it. I love everything about it, and the battles, while repetitive like in 90% of all turn-based jrpgs, aren't drawn out over 30-40 hours and so don't really have time to get on my nerves. I think 5-6 hours was the perfect length for this game. Such a fresh breath of air and an amazing experience.

This is exactly what I did. I knocked out the entire game in one sitting, then next sitting bought and knocked out Grubbins on Ice. Compared to Stacking which I could only do one section at a time and had to take breaks, Costume Quest was so adorable and awesome that I couldn't put the controller down. I really hope they do a sequel of some sort.

fernoca

Sorry for the "lame bump".. :p ..don't know if anyone missed it, but the game's on sale on Xbox Live Marketplace at 50% off (600 MS Points i.e. $7.50) till Tuesday...apparently the deal started earlier this week.

Got 1,000 Microsoft Points through their rewards, so (finally) got this. :)

Just finished the game and the DLC. Pretty good but it really was "My first RPG". Kind of glad I got it on sale though I wish I had played it at the appropriate times. Wonder if they'll do a sequel with that kind of ending for Grubbins on Ice.

Ledsen

Shaneus said:
'nother bump. Loving it, but holy fuck is the last boss in the DLC cheap. Oh well!

I don't remember having any trouble with it, I think I did it first try, what're you having problems with? Loved the DLC though, just as much as the main game :)

Septimius

I'm actually excited that Halloween is coming up! Gives me a chance to replay this game. A month to go. Anyone else got plans like mine?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Septimius said:
I'm actually excited that Halloween is coming up! Gives me a chance to replay this game. A month to go. Anyone else got plans like mine?
It is a great Halloween lighthearted romp. Kind of reminds me of the scary movies that were just fun to watch like Creepshow, Return of the Living Dead, and It (yea lol).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I enjoyed the writing and thought it was cute but I'm glad I got this for free with PS+. I downloaded it yesterday and 100% it today. Is the DLC good or should I just wait and hope they give that away for free also?

just started this up for the first time... really enjoying it so far!!!

great atmosphere and a super fun RPG Lite so far :)

will probably grab the grubbins DLC in time for Xmas :)

I really enjoyed it. Yes, the battle system is horribly simplistic and monotonous after the first few fights. However, the writing is charming and clever while the art direction is delightful. It captured my interest much better than Stacking which I'm finding difficult to go back and finish.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got the game btw, it's free to PS+ers. It's a must grab. :)

Tizoc

RadioHeadAche said:
I really enjoyed it. Yes, the battle system is horribly simplistic and monotonous after the first few fights. However, the writing is charming and clever while the art direction is delightful. It captured my interest much better than Stacking which I'm finding difficult to go back and finish.
Watching walkthroughs on Youtube might help with Stacking lol.

Yeah CQ is great, hope they announce the sequel soon =/

I beat the 360 version and expansion when they released earlier this year, and loved every minute of them! Well i caved in again on PSN, since it is free, and i am hooked all over again. Such a fun game! :)

angelfly

Winnie the Pimp said:
talking about a sequel, is it confirmed by the devs then?

Also: anyone know how much (or little) CQ sold?
I thought DFs policy was making one-off games and offering a bit of new DLC then moving on to the next? If they did decide to make a sequel I'd be all over since Grubbins on Ice left me wanting more.

Danielsan

I kinda wish Double Fine would release a new (stand alone) expansion for this game to coincide with Halloween this year.

lowemark

just played through this in two sittings a few days ago (thank you PS+ :)) and I found it to be really enjoyable.
a perfect game just to breeze through in a weekend.

really hoping that a sequel is in the works.

Just had to leave my input, this game is awesome! Got it with PS+...

For those of you with this french fry glitch, does deleting the patch (or the whole game then reinstalling) help?

FreeChicken

Neo Member
Really enjoyed this game last year when it came out. If they do not put out a sequel I will definitely be replaying the original later this month for Halloween. There should be more seasonal themed downloadable games!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I completed the game and got all trophies in one go. The game is ok though, tended to become repetitive in the end. I like the Earthbound-like atmosphere.

kai3345 said:
I have the urge to replay this, but I don't have my xbox anymore! D:

Did the game ever get a price drop on PSN?

It's free if you're a PS+er.

denomes

I beat this prior to the patch but then recently bought Grubbins during the sale. Am I safe from the glitch if I come back for the DLC?

Top Bottom