• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

Vard

Tried out the game thanks to PS+. It has a really nice atmosphere and I picture it as a game I would have really liked when I was 11 years old. Quite imaginative and the game reminds me of Cartoon Network shows I used to watch when growing up. I doubt I'll finish it (backlog priorities and whatnot), but I really do think it's great especially for kids around that age.

r1chard

Finally just finished playing this through with my almost-8-year-old on the weekend. She really got into it, though she got stuck in a couple of places (she's slowly learning the videogaming mantra "talk to everyone, knock on every door, open every chest") and I had to do a couple of the tougher battles (especially the very last one, though I suspect she would've been able to win it with a bit of luck). We're missing one of the pieces for the vampire costume, but have all the others.

I gotta say though with the pedigree of the developers they make some pretty fundamental no-twinkie mistakes:

- long unskippable cutscenes before the boss battles which lose any charm on the third repeat and become highly irritating after the tenth (and I suspect contribute strongly to my daughter giving up on the last battle)
- dialog that either runs at its own speed (slightly too fast for a young'un to read sometimes) OR needs X pressed to continue - why not the latter *always*?

Other than that it's such an awesome game; so accessible to kids. I'd love to see more games with the same mechanics.

And Anthem wins as the best ever special ability ever. And I'm not even American :)

RevySubterfuge

Neo Member
This game was amazingly cute and fun! Just beat it. I actually bought the 3mo PS+ package just so I could get this game for free... (and to get 2 more free monthly games along with my little PS+ tour). Oh man... I wonder what everyone's favorite costumes are! I definitely have a top 3. ^_^

RevySubterfuge

Neo Member
Vard said:
Tried out the game thanks to PS+. It has a really nice atmosphere and I picture it as a game I would have really liked when I was 11 years old. Quite imaginative and the game reminds me of Cartoon Network shows I used to watch when growing up. I doubt I'll finish it (backlog priorities and whatnot), but I really do think it's great especially for kids around that age.

Heh, I'm glad that I can STILL enjoy it fast-forwarding 10 years on your ability to enjoy the game. It just brought back my Halloween cheer... I lost it after I couldn't trick-or-treat anymore. XP

mkernan

Neo Member
Costume Quest was one of my top ten favorite games I played last year. Super-simple but really charming and witty. My ten-year-old daughter enjoys playing it too.

RevySubterfuge

Neo Member
kai3345 said:
Its 5 bucks on consoles and free on PC

Its a christmas themed quest add on or something. I haven't played it yet

I didn't see that in the advertisements. But I'm a little retarded, so thanks for the info. I'd play it. Maybe later around Christmas-time, then? Christmas shit should come out after Halloween anyway.

kai3345

Banned
RevySubterfuge said:
I didn't see that in the advertisements. But I'm a little retarded, so thanks for the info. I'd play it. Maybe later around Christmas-time, then? Christmas shit should come out after Halloween anyway.
Well it did come out around chistmas time....a year ago

rabhw

AgentOtaku said:
Any impressions on how the PC version runs/turned out?

Wanna rebuy this and will go for it for 60fps/free DLC.

Just beat the PC version yesterday in a couple of sittings. There were some strange performance issues on my machine, when there clearly shouldn't be. Most of the overworld maps felt like they were running at 30-40fps, which stopped bothering me after a while, but strange nonetheless.

I only played with the keyboard so I can't attest to controller support etc, but the menus all worked nicely with the mouse so no complaints there.

Loved the game, although in the last hour or so the gameplay had worn thin for me, but kept going just to wrap up the story.

Any specific questions about the PC build let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

rabhw

AgentOtaku said:
What's your specs?

i2500k @ 4.3
2x 6950 unlocked to 6970 shaders
8gb RAM

Running at 1920x1200 with everything "maxed" :)

Thinking about the performance again, it was probably closer to 40 most of the time than 30, and it was mostly noticeable just walking around trick-or-treating. I'll blame AMD since they seem to fuck everything up these days.

rabhw

AgentOtaku said:
True True

Mind dropping it to 720p and letting me know how it runs? Got a gaming laptop and running everything at that res.

Well, looks like I've found a bug or something...when I first loaded it up as I have been doing to play, it was locked at 30fps according to fraps. Went from area to area, stayed at 30fps locked. Then I changed it to 720p, and it went to 60fps locked, then I went to a new area and it snapped back to 30fps locked. Changed res back to 1200p, and it went to 60fps locked, went to a new area, back down to 30fps locked.

Basically the game seems to want to lock/cap itself at 30fps for whatever reason.

Achamian

Completed this last night after getting free from ps+. Absolutely lovely, charming little game. Had i had the spare cash i would have immediately bought the dlc but have to wait till payday. How did this gem pass me by at release?

rabhw said:
Well, looks like I've found a bug or something...when I first loaded it up as I have been doing to play, it was locked at 30fps according to fraps. Went from area to area, stayed at 30fps locked. Then I changed it to 720p, and it went to 60fps locked, then I went to a new area and it snapped back to 30fps locked. Changed res back to 1200p, and it went to 60fps locked, went to a new area, back down to 30fps locked.

Basically the game seems to want to lock/cap itself at 30fps for whatever reason.

Yeah, tried out last night and indeed it's locked at 30fps. Tried to see if I could uncap in the "Buddha" config, but no go

Anyone know where to find the pieces of the vampire costume. I've only found 2 and I beat the game. It's the only costume I don't have:/

ArjanN

BoboBrazil said:
Anyone know where to find the pieces of the vampire costume. I've only found 2 and I beat the game. It's the only costume I don't have:/

Just do a search on youtube for "costume quest vampire costume" or something similar. There's plenty of guides out there.

ArjanN said:
Just do a search on youtube for "costume quest vampire costume" or something similar. There's plenty of guides out there.

Awesome thanks. For some reason I always forget to look at youtube as an option for help lol

So I just completed this and grubbins on ice and am absolutely in love. Now I wish I paid full price for CQ at launch because it definitely deserves my money.

Sure, it got a tad repetitive but the game oozed with charm and of being someone's idea-baby that had been brewing for years waiting to be fully realized.

I hope there is more to come. Hell, give me a cartoon series...

animlboogy said:
I've put in about three hours so far. I'm not sure if I'm going to finish it, because the gameplay just isn't there... the battles are incredibly mundane once you get past how absolutely charming the visuals are.

It's a great little game nonetheless. I'd really like to see a full-scale Earthbound type of game from Double Fine. This shows they have the tone and charm down. If they can get the battle system to remain simple but get some more fun and strategy in there, they could have a really great JRPG on their hands.
You have to go on with an open mind and child's heart. It's a short and sweet download game. Seems you're expecting a huge game.

Just finished the game for the first time today and I loved it, the battle system could have been a bit more fleshed out but because the game wasn't that long it didn't seem so bad. Hope they do a Christmas version, it seems like it would work really well with Carolling and grubins stealing presents.

Conflict NZ said:
Just finished the game for the first time today and I loved it, the battle system could have been a bit more fleshed out but because the game wasn't that long it didn't seem so bad. Hope they do a Christmas version, it seems like it would work really well with Carolling and grubins stealing presents.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there Christmas DLC?

Zoc

I finished it last night. I played the demo last year at Halloween (when I was poor) without buying the game. I truly loved it, so nostalgic. I picked it up when it was 50% on PSN, and have been waiting to play it since then.

I thought it was great, but the first part was really the best. The later areas didn't have that same wallop of nostalgia as the first one. Unlike many others, though, I never really got tired of the combat. I'd never played any games with JRPG battle systems like that, though.

I picked up Costume Quest for 600 MS Points on sale and I'm so glad I did. I absolutely love it. I could see myself replaying it every Halloween. Great game all around and honestly probably one of my favorite RPGs this generation.

ah nice bought at $5 on steam

chance to play again, got hit with that bug on the 360 version with the fry costume meaning I would have to restart the game again

jeremy1456

Winnie the Pimp said:
i'm not sure i'd consider this an "rpg" even as so much a cute game with rpg lite mechanics...

i loved it though, and hope for a true sequel!!

But it's an RPG... there's no other way to classify it. It's actually pretty traditional. Just because the combat system isn't deep doesn't make it any less of one.

"Cute" isn't a genre :p

Card Boy

Banned
rabhw said:

I got the same issue. Anyone worked out a fix yet?

I love how Costume Quest's trailer IN Steam never said anything about a PC version. HAHA

But this was my first time watching footage for this and man it really does seem awesome! :)

Smash88

Banned
The game is horrendously optimized. I have a Q6600 @3.2ghz and 470GTX 4GB Ram and I'm barely getting 45fps maxed out @ 1920x1080, while the recommended are for way older computers with dual cores.

I hope they patch this game.

EDIT: Sorry guys, it stopped working after a while and just overrides it, and just makes it go back to locked 30fps. :(

Derrick01

Banned
Smash88 said:
Okay I found a way to turn off v-sync in this game:

Go to your steamapps folder, and find the Costume Quest folder.

Then go to Data then Config. Open BuddhaDefault.cfg with notepad.

Scroll down until you find this:

-- Graphics

-- Sync frame presentation to the vertical retrace
syncFrameRate = false

Change it from true to false. Make sure you go to file -> save. Voila, all fixed.

The game is horrendously optimized. I have a Q6600 @3.2ghz and 470GTX 4GB Ram and I'm barely getting 45fps maxed out @ 1920x1080, while the recommended are for way older computers with dual cores.

I hope they patch this game.

Yeah I just bought it and it seems to be locked at 30 fps for me. The thing is when I pause the game fraps goes to 60 and sometimes when I unpause it will stay at 50-60, but then eventually go back to 30.

Like it was said above this game seems to really want to stay at 30. I definitely have a strong enough machine to easily max this.

Smash88

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Yeah I just bought it and it seems to be locked at 30 fps for me. The thing is when I pause the game fraps goes to 60 and sometimes when I unpause it will stay at 50-60, but then eventually go back to 30.

Like it was said above this game seems to really want to stay at 30. I definitely have a strong enough machine to easily max this.

It was working fine, then all of a sudden it went back to locked 30fps mode. UGH!

Echoplx

Quick question, are there any zones where monsters always respawn? I need to just kill one more mob for an achievement but I can't find any (I'm on the last boss)

EDIT: Never mind, I thought the Grubbin costume counted for the 'Master of Disguise' achievement.

So I just downloaded Grubbins on Ice, went to start a new game and the Grubbins on Ice option isn't there. It wiped out my normal game save. Which is fine as I had finished it unless your save has an affect on your Grubbins on Ice game...Any tips as to whats going on? Why Grubbins on Ice isn't showing up? On 360 by the way.

John

Had a sick day today, beat this more or less in one sitting. Absolutely love the french fry monster design. 2-ply TP 2 gud

randomkid

Hahaha I guess I understand the term "gamer rage" right now cuz I just experienced this fucking french fry glitch. Ridiculous! Completely unacceptable!

It seems silly to boycott anything else ever produced by Double Fine but that's apparently what I have to do now. Plans to purchase Stacking, completely out the window, that's for goddamn sure! My first Double Fine game is now my last, heh.

Just beat Costume Quest(and got the 200/200!) and absolutely loved it.

This game just nailed my childhood and I felt so much nostalgia while playing it. Auburn Pines is like the typical midwest suburban neighborhood.

I could definitely see myself playing this game every Halloween and plan on getting the DLC soon!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I do not understand the praise this game gets.

The gameplay is just so boring and repetitive. The battle system is not interesting. It is just so blech. I made it past the mall, but had to call it quits. I couldn't stand the battles anymore.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yaboosh said:

The gameplay is just so boring and repetitive. The battle system is not interesting. It is just so blech. I made it past the mall, but had to call it quits. I couldn't stand the battles anymore.
Most people look past the repetitive gameplay and focus on the charm.

Yaboosh said:

I played through it in one sitting and didn't really get bored of the combat myself. Being able to mix it up using the different stamps helps a lot. As well as the various costumes.

Ceebs

Fuzzy said:
Most people look past the repetitive gameplay and focus on the charm.
Pretty much.

I like to think of it as the game equivalent of a rainy Sunday afternoon album. Something very low impact you can kind of chill out with for a bit.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
randomlyrossy said:
I played through it in one sitting and didn't really get bored of the combat myself. Being able to mix it up using the different stamps helps a lot. As well as the various costumes.

Once I got the stunning stamps, I didn't see the point to any of the other ones for most of my characters.

I would have played through the rest of it if the game allowed me to rush through, but the pace of the battles is so terrible that I couldn't do it anymore.

Ceebs said:
Pretty much.

I like to think of it as the game equivalent of a rainy Sunday afternoon album. Something very low impact you can kind of chill out with for a bit.

Yea, that's a good way to put it.

Like the combat isn't complicated at all, but very addicting. I didn't mind doing battles at all, especially since the game isn't that long.

Also, for the $7.50(600 points) I paid for it, I definitely got my moneys worth.

Top Bottom